Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,737 members, 7,898,585 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 July 2024 at 03:18 PM

Should I Euthanize My Dad? - Health (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Should I Euthanize My Dad? (42317 Views)

Help - My Dad Just Had A Stroke / Help My Dad Has Severe Stomach Pains / I'm In An Extreme End, Im Losing My Dad! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Offpoint1: 10:02am On Oct 06, 2021
SportsHD:

Religion is damaging your mentality. The dad has been in that state for 12 years now. I'm sure no one would want that for himself. Not being able to talk or do anything yourself.

Drop all emotional sentiments here, think logically. Imagine the peace of mind he and the mom would have, coupled with the amount they'll save not going back and forth to the hospital.

If it were my family member, lord knows he would have been in the ground by now.
It's better for him to be at peace in heaven than to be suffering here In life.
I was looking for someone with sense and find your comment.

Nigerians... Sorry to say lack sense, they're control by emotions and religion. When people apply emotions where logic is required, you'll have a disaster.

No one which their love ones or enemies death, not even the most dreaded heart cold criminal.

They ask him to keep praying, exact what he's been doing for 12 years and each day the situation gets worse. They failed to understand the financial, emotional and psychological trauma the illness is causing the entire family.

If the dad could speak he would have asked them to put an end to his pain. Ending his pain now is mercy and the greatest love they can show him. I don't want to imagine what the mom is going through, imagine if he still leaves him to be in another 5 years and eventually the father still dies....

This is not time to involve emotions and religion... The idea of God watching people in pain for years just to prove himself God doesn't sit well with me.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by efavour: 10:21am On Oct 06, 2021
Omorotionmwann:
It has been 12years now since my dad has been down with Stroke which has affected his speech,his right hand and leg and some 4years ago,he couldn't walk anymore but had to be carried to sleep,sit and all physical metabolism is done where he is,even after I and my mum have spent and still spends a lot on physiotherapy,speech therapy,brain checkups at Mecure oshodi,routine and forthnight high blood pressure checkups with expensive drugs and still no changes but it gets worse,all done going around in taxi as I have no car.....

I was 18 and in 200level in a federal uni with him and my mum my only support system when all of this started,couldn't concentrate and focus on school work anymore as I am the firstborn of a 7 boys family and my attention was always needed.....Mum told me I need to drop out that she can't afford all of this alone but I was strong hearted and determined to graduate with a B.Eng...

I had issues with my lecturers as my attendance were poor and my course adviser said it to my face that I would never graduate but I never told them about my travails or they wouldn't even believe me anyways cos they were mostly SADIST,All Engineering lecturers in Uniben especially Mechanical/PRODUCTION ENGINEERING from 08/09 upward,OGUN KILL ALL OF UNA!!! Life was tough for me and my Mum....

Now that I am a Man and supposed to be focus on my life future and raising a family but this is still taking a toll on me emotionally,financially,mentally and I will come home to my mum nagging,crying that she has tried enough over the years and i might come home one day and she has left ....THIS BREAKS ME,I AM TIRED,I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....I LOVE MY DAD,HE IS IN PAINS TOO!!!

IF I COULD SEE THE FUTURE BACK THEN WHEN IT STARTED,I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DOCTORS FOR MERCY DEATH,DO NIGERIAN DOCTORS OR HOSPITALS GIVE OUT MERCY DEATH TO PATIENTS?

NAIRALANDERS,I AM DEPRESSED AND I NEED YOUR ADVICE

sorry for the long post. Mods please help this thread to front page for more advice
Op, what you're thinking is not out of place. However, it is not ever country that approves euthanasia. And your father's case don't sound to me like one. The thing is that Dr in Nigeria can be greedy and hardly says the truth. They will keep milking you until your are dry. I work in the hospital and terminal illness unit. Once Dr's has decided that your case is hopeless, they will talk to the family and the patients too if he is still in a position to make decision. Hospital make sure patients have living will i.e who they want making decisions for them when they are no longer able to. Anyways, the family decision makers usually agree to take the patient off any medical treatment and place him on comfort care. That means, if he is in pains, he gets meds to help him bear the pain but nothing to cure the source of pain as that is incurable. Henis also placed on dnr/dni. It means if he is dying, that means you don't do anything to resuscitate him if he is not breathing. You let him go.i have seen a patients taken off high flow oxygen with all the family around. Yes he is very alert,talks and eat but he can survive a minute without the high flow oxygen. And that would have been indefinite stay in Hospital and bed. Yes I talked to him when he was transferred to us and he told me the family is coming the next day cos he will be taken off oxygen.he watched my face and told me he is ready to go. So, talk to the Dr's. If there is no chance of recovery which it seems ,then let him be placed on comfort care. Take care of him but no treatment or any form of test. Let him go naturally. Just bath and feed him at home. Make his room comfortable and find a nurse ro teach your mom on how to take care of him so she don't break her back. Don't mind those calling God and invoking curse. It is ignorance.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by lucky4west: 10:23am On Oct 06, 2021
every body keep looking for an easy way out....life is tough but that is the way it is...this is your cross u have to bear it just the same way other are bearing theirs...urs is not the hardest and things can always change....what if he is healed completely tomorrow? there is nothing God cannot do only if we believe, remain steadfast...even if the law allows "mercy death" in some cases though its easier if it is an animal God does not permit the willful taking of a life and that may lead to generational curses etc....all the people telling u otherwise and yourself how will you feel that in the future this same scenario happen to you and your beloved kids are planning to give u a mercy death?...so long there s life there is hope...as for our school the great Uniben! i know some of our lecturers are wicked but u could have opened up to them one on one regarding ur plight, u never know what could have happened...not telling portrayed you as an unserious element whom they may even think is a cultist ..dont forget such elements abound in our school...and cursing the lecturers wont solve any thing...forgive them and open your heart to God, accept Jesus as ur personal Lord and savior, be serious with your salvation and in due time things will fall into place and your Dad will be completely healed and start working again.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by ManOfCompetence(m): 10:23am On Oct 06, 2021
Hmmm....See real life issue here .......OP I sympathize with you on your dad's condition........ May God's mercy see him through.....
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Ubanz: 10:29am On Oct 06, 2021
Don't think our laws here allows euthanasia.
Europe & America yes.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by jpride(m): 11:08am On Oct 06, 2021
If you try it, your conscience will accuse u for the rest of your life..... You dare not kill your father cos it won't go well in the long run.
"Honour your father and your mother, that it may go well with you ........." - Eph 6:3
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by xtervaganza(m): 11:28am On Oct 06, 2021
sirjoggy:
Please don't try it bro, it can create a generation curse
what curse? Me o, personally I'd prefer to just die than to be alive like I'm dead.

Even the man might appreciate it
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Sijo01(f): 11:54am On Oct 06, 2021
Omorotionmwann:
It has been 12years now since my dad has been down with Stroke which has affected his speech,his right hand and leg and some 4years ago,he couldn't walk anymore but had to be carried to sleep,sit and all physical metabolism is done where he is,even after I and my mum have spent and still spends a lot on physiotherapy,speech therapy,brain checkups at Mecure oshodi,routine and forthnight high blood pressure checkups with expensive drugs and still no changes but it gets worse,all done going around in taxi as I have no car.....

I was 18 and in 200level in a federal uni with him and my mum my only support system when all of this started,couldn't concentrate and focus on school work anymore as I am the firstborn of a 7 boys family and my attention was always needed.....Mum told me I need to drop out that she can't afford all of this alone but I was strong hearted and determined to graduate with a B.Eng...

I had issues with my lecturers as my attendance were poor and my course adviser said it to my face that I would never graduate but I never told them about my travails or they wouldn't even believe me anyways cos they were mostly SADIST,All Engineering lecturers in Uniben especially Mechanical/PRODUCTION ENGINEERING from 08/09 upward,OGUN KILL ALL OF UNA!!! Life was tough for me and my Mum....

Now that I am a Man and supposed to be focus on my life future and raising a family but this is still taking a toll on me emotionally,financially,mentally and I will come home to my mum nagging,crying that she has tried enough over the years and i might come home one day and she has left ....THIS BREAKS ME,I AM TIRED,I DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO....I LOVE MY DAD,HE IS IN PAINS TOO!!!

IF I COULD SEE THE FUTURE BACK THEN WHEN IT STARTED,I WOULD HAVE ASKED THE DOCTORS FOR MERCY DEATH,DO NIGERIAN DOCTORS OR HOSPITALS GIVE OUT MERCY DEATH TO PATIENTS?

sorry for the long post. Mods please help this thread to front page for more advice

Your name says it all bro. You're really acting it. God will surely reward you.

Medical and others you've done over the years has failed. It's time you take it to God; search for NSPPD on youtube, facebook or Instagram, join live everyday (Mondays - Fridays). Pray along and have faith. Your father will receive his healing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Heychpee: 12:23pm On Oct 06, 2021
Ahh �
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Nobody: 1:14pm On Oct 06, 2021
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by hawksford: 1:37pm On Oct 06, 2021
Perfectbeing:
I remember a movie I watched where a UK millionaire son had a bike accident and became paralyzed neck down.. I can't imagine how it feels to be able to move only your head. That's worse than death. I will suggest death for any such person.

Me Before You

That movie literally saved my life !!!

OP's case is pretty complicated though

Some of the people nailing him to the cross can't survive a quarter of what he has

And most of them are just looking through his trauma

What of the trauma of the old man who has spent

not 3 weeks
not 12 weeks
not 36 weeks nor 52 weeks
not even 100 weeks

but a whopping 624 weeks

being vegetative;
not being able to improve/advance mentally & physically
not being able to move
much less hanging out and discussing with friends

In 12 solid years
A 12 year old girl today is most likely at puberty stage

Who wants such life for himself?

When he gets to recover, life can hardly remain the same

Most prolonged cases of stroke I've had to hear of, either they die in it or they die shortly after recovery max max. 2 - 5 years (which of course the wasted years and severe pains and traumas counts for nothing)

Well, I can only pray/wish that you (OP) get led in the right direction
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Perfectbeing(m): 3:25pm On Oct 06, 2021
hawksford:

Me Before You

That movie literally saved my life !!!

OP's case is pretty complicated though

Some of the people nailing him to the cross can't survive a quarter of what he has

And most of them are just looking through his trauma

What of the trauma of the old man who has spent

not 3 weeks
not 12 weeks
not 36 weeks nor 52 weeks
not even 100 weeks

but a whopping 624 weeks

being vegetative;
not being able to improve/advance mentally & physically
not being able to move
much less hanging out and discussing with friends

In 12 solid years
A 12 year old girl today is most likely at puberty stage

Who wants such life for himself?

When he gets to recover, life can hardly remain the same

Most prolonged cases of stroke I've had to hear of, either they die in it or they die shortly after recovery max max. 2 - 5 years (which of course the wasted years and severe pains and traumas counts for nothing)

Well, I can only pray/wish that you (OP) get led in the right direction
Such a traumatic experience. Thanks for reminding me of the movie.. I need to rewatch the movie.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by 1Sharon(f): 3:26pm On Oct 06, 2021
stasius:
Who will offer you Euthanasia in Nigeria?

If they can offer abortions, why won't they offer euthanasia?
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by 1Sharon(f): 3:31pm On Oct 06, 2021
Calitoscassius:
What a dumb question! cheesy, is any death a sweet and enjoyable death? grin death is death which ever way it comes. What? Should he give him fried eggs and salads with boiled chicken? And then sprinkle rat poison on it? Or smother him with a pillow? how about strangling him? Push him off the stairs? Tell you what? lethal injection will be sweet and enjoyable you think? undecided

Ignoramus. There are certain ways to die that are completely painless.

Euthanasia is meant to be completely painless.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by 1Sharon(f): 3:33pm On Oct 06, 2021
jpride:
If you try it, your conscience will accuse u for the rest of your life..... You dare not kill your father cos it won't go well in the long run.
"Honour your father and your mother, that it may go well with you ........." - Eph 6:3

The same Bible also says don't provoke your children. Hypocrites.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by 1Sharon(f): 3:34pm On Oct 06, 2021
Goldiness:

I can't answer you, because you don't have an understanding heart.

Or you don't have an answer? Hypocrite
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by BRAINCRASH(m): 4:11pm On Oct 06, 2021
Please dont Kill him, rather keep begging God to take away his life,...it is better when God allow the doctor make a mistake which leads to his death than just killing him,....you will live all your life In guilt whenever you remember you instructed them to kill him,....I am a young father I wouldn't wish I had done such to my own dad,...It's really painful but if remember all his effort you won't want to...in this case emotion is more important than Logic...Even the doctors know one wrong medicine the will give him and he will sleep and never wake up but the wouldn't do it even though his health gives then inconvenience....KILLIING A HIMAN IS NOT EASY,...EXCEPT FOR THE HEARTLESS...
God will help you.

Tell Your lecturers the situation....let everyone that know you understand what is happening,...thoa that will help will always be more than those that will laugh at you.

Be a strong Man Bro.This too shall Co.e to pass.
Be strong.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Nobody: 4:29pm On Oct 06, 2021
Omorotionmwann:

Your dad doesn't want to die trust me. He still believes there is hope for him, that's why he keeps pushing. Pray to God to take him, he has the right over every life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by UncutSk(m): 4:36pm On Oct 06, 2021
Mercisharelove:
Some of you castigating religion forgot that religion rules the essence of life. How dare you relegate religion to zero...

This generation
smh
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by razible5384(m): 5:18pm On Oct 06, 2021
Goldiness:

It will be your turn next, then you know how it feels to be sick and need help, then you can tell them to do the same for you. Heartless beings. angry
you talk like an illiterate... You feel is everyone that is scared of death? Don't you know that there are some life that are not worth living? Obviously, religious sentiment has becloud your logical sense of reasoning
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by benjanny(m): 5:36pm On Oct 06, 2021
Similar situation
My dad suffered for stroke for good 9 years and that was betwen 2011 to 2020 and eventually died last year march

It was really terrible for all of us in the family honestly
My dad was still sick and my mum died after a brief illness just like that.

Because of the fact that my dad was a caring father when he was healthy,we took good care of him till the last day before his death.

I was in sch then and due to the problem at home, it affected my first year result because I lost concentration a lot

It was very difficult to tell my dad that his wife have died and that was just four days before my mum's funeral and my dad cried helplessly and was like asking us what really happened and we explain to him.
So bro pls calm down ok
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Drella(m): 6:41pm On Oct 06, 2021
enemyofprogress:
you’re a brostitute, ashawo

Hehehe

How about you that your signature reads "I'm in love with dominique ".
A married woman with kids o grin
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by onojaford(m): 8:56pm On Oct 06, 2021
Timoleon:
It has to be from the right side?
Sure. Vivid imagery. I feel it may happen some days. Just a feeling. strong! kiss
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Calitoscassius(m): 9:26pm On Oct 06, 2021
1Sharon:

Ignoramus. There are certain ways to die that are completely painless.

Euthanasia is meant to be completely painless.
More dumb assertions grin have you ever died? How did you know that some deaths are painless? who have died by euthanasia and confirmed that euthanasia are painless? grin how are about a clean quick shot in the head with a 9 mili pistol? that SHOULD be even quicker than euthansia. grin
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by 1Sharon(f): 10:58pm On Oct 06, 2021
Calitoscassius:
More dumb assertions grin have you ever died? How did you know that some deaths are painless? who have died by euthanasia and confirmed that euthanasia are painless? grin how are about a clean quick shot in the head with a 9 mili pistol? that SHOULD be even quicker than euthansia. grin

slowpoke. Have you ever been to the afterlife? Who comes back from the dead? Yet your type believes it exists.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by enemyofprogress: 11:33pm On Oct 06, 2021
Drella:

Hehehe

How about you that your signature reads "I'm in love with dominique ".
A married woman with kids o grin
who tolded you that she is married? Na jealousy go kee you there
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by enemyofprogress: 11:39pm On Oct 06, 2021
Calitoscassius:
Calitoscassius 1- 0 1Sharon
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by enemyofprogress: 11:42pm On Oct 06, 2021
1Sharon:

slowpoke. Have you ever been to the afterlife? Who comes back from the dead? Yet your type believes it exists.

Calitoscassius 1-1 1Sharon

This fight dey sweet me I swear grin grin grin

Dominique bring chair make you sidon and watch better fight

1 Like

Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Drella(m): 1:08am On Oct 07, 2021
enemyofprogress:
who tolded you that she is married? Na jealousy go kee you there

She's married.No jokes.
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by enemyofprogress: 1:35am On Oct 07, 2021
Drella:

She's married.No jokes.
liar!
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Drella(m): 7:34am On Oct 07, 2021
Re: Should I Euthanize My Dad? by Drella(m): 7:38am On Oct 07, 2021
enemyofprogress:
liar!

When I tell you something,you believe!!

Are you also the "Enemyofpeace" moniker?

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

10 Natural Remedies You Can Make With Mango At Home / Her Bosom Secretes Milk But She's Not Pregnant / Reasons Why You Should Change Your Under Wears Often - Marvejohndaily.com

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.