Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,302 members, 7,881,115 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 12:50 PM

A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) - Forum Games (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Forum Games / A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) (39553 Views)

Pick One / Men Bend Over To Pick Up An Object / Pls What Should Pick Between Industrial Chemistry And Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Hashabiah: 5:43pm On Nov 19, 2021
AlhajiBitcoin:

Who told you ??

The grass is always greener on the other side ??
This is not an issue of "who told me ". It is common sense any economics textbook will teach you
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Limassol(m): 5:46pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kobicove:

The car looks like a Toyota Supra

You seem to be right.

Just checked it and the starting price is $44200 roughly 25m

I will go for the Supra over that house, seems a better choice.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Nobody: 5:46pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kingpin1000:
A house is an Asset while a Car is a liability.
No matter the value or cost of the car, if it is not for commercial purpose, then it's a Liability.

Elon Musk says a House is a LIABILITY.

A car is an Asset.

And i agree with him.

World has changed.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Nobody: 5:50pm On Nov 19, 2021
Hashabiah:
This is not an issue of "who told me ". It is common sense any economics textbook will teach you

It depends on the year, the economics textbook was written.

The trend today is that cars are more valuable than houses.

A white man drives his car to 1 million miles over a period of 20 years but in Nigeria, thesame car will last only 5 years in your hands and turn scrap because of your mechanic.

There are used cars in United states today that are costlier than brand new ones.

What I'm saying is that the world has changed. But it will take time before the new textbooks will RECORD TGE CHANGES.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Hashabiah: 5:55pm On Nov 19, 2021
[s]
AlhajiBitcoin:

It depends on the year, the economics textbook was written.

The trend today is that cars are more valuable than houses.

A white man drives his car to 1 million miles over a period of 20 years but in Nigeria, thesame car will last only 5 years in your hands and turn scrap because of your mechanic.

There are used cars in United states today that are costlier than brand new ones.

What I'm saying is that the world has changed. But it will take time before the new textbooks will RECORD TGE CHANGES.
[/s]Bros your arguement has no sound financial reasoning . Nowhere in the word is a car valued as an investment. One of the best investments that exist in the world is real-estate, and that is one of the surest ways of staying rich and not through financial liabilities like cars
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by LollySeaSide: 6:00pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kayberg:
I'll choose the car.
Sell it, build a house from it and use the remaining to still get a smaller car.
One shot, two kills.

Those choosing A, which of them is A o?

Wait, which Toyota model is that car?
Toyota yellownsis obviously.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by joshuaidibia(m): 6:18pm On Nov 19, 2021
emae009:

I'm in the built industry bro. Buildings depreciate hence they are liabilities, it's the land underneath the building that appreciates thus giving the structure most of its value. Build a mansion and maintain for just 10 years, not going for a 100 here, then ask a valuer to value the building only, you'll be surprised at what your expensive structure is worth.... The most expensive real estate that was pegged at $500million at its unveiling, just 2 years dispite all the money spent on advertising it, the value of that building has reduced.
In conclusion, I'm not saying car is an asset and building is not, I was trying to cancel the notion we tend to have in this part of the world that anything other than a house is a liability. A lot of things other than a building are assets too.

after all that write up, if you have any work or deal about real estate, be it building a house or buying a land in a secure and serene environment. I'm your plug!

True man. I get your point boss.

1 Like

Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Rexymania(m): 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2021
3 bed room flat of a Lorry. I will go for the lorry. But will never go for the Car
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by BluntTheApostle(m): 6:31pm On Nov 19, 2021
Hashabiah:
Bros , ask anybody: a house is still a healthier investment when compared to a car. The life span of a house is 60 years , but a car is less than 10 years . So which is a wiser investment? A house . Period undecided

Like I wrote earlier, many factors can come into play.

Yes, buying a house is obviously the better investment than buying a car considering depreciation.

Not necessarily lifespan, because factors like a collapse can ruin the investment. A fire outbreak can also ruin the investment. The neighborhood can become unattractive over time, causing the house to lose value. Houses can wear too with time, especially private houses.

However, a well maintained car with a low mileage on the average can continue beyond 10 years. Cars do not have lifespan in terms of years, but mileage.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by sulaak(m): 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

So literally, i have no income at all.

What you have written how is it favourable for you?

You own a house on debt, remortgage it to get another debt to build another house when you rent it out, your rental income is to settle the debt, how is your idea a smart move?

A mortgage is what you call efficient debt, tied to your asset and paid gradually over a period of time.

For example, if you own a property valued at N400,000 and took out a mortgage of 50% of the value of the property (N200,000) with a monthly repayment of 2000k every month, your rental income of say N3000 will cover the monthly mortgage repayment, leaving you with a 1000k monthly profit and a property asset that will continue to appreciate in value.

Your tenant will pay off the mortgage the 200,000 that you will release from the property can be invested in a car or buy another property that you can live in or rent out.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Hashabiah: 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Yes, buying a house is obviously the better investment than buying a car considering depreciation.

Not necessarily lifespan, because factors like a collapse can ruin the investment. A fire outbreak can also ruin the investment. The neighborhood can become unattractive over time, causing the house to lose value. Houses can wear too with time, especially private houses.

However, a well maintained car with a low mileage on the average can continue beyond 10 years. Cars do not have lifespan in terms of years, but mileage.
The bolded has already ended the argument

1 Like

Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Nobody: 6:38pm On Nov 19, 2021
sulaak:

A mortgage is what you call efficient debt, tied to your asset and paid gradually over a period of time.

For example, if you own a property valued at N400,000 and took out a mortgage of 50% of the value of the property (N200,000) with a monthly repayment of 2000k every month, your rental income of say N3000 will cover the monthly mortgage repayment, leaving you with a 1000k monthly profit and a property asset that will continue to appreciate in value.

Your tenant will pay off the mortgage the 200,000 that you will release from the property can be invested in a car or buy another property that you can live in or rent out.

instead of the owner of the house to enjoy himself, he will paying debts for 20 to 30 years of 2 properties, if he dies during the process, his children will continue the payment or the bank will claim the property.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by sulaak(m): 6:40pm On Nov 19, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

If you have property insurance, just like a car insurance than, then you can protect your house against fire.

Nigeria has a housing shortage with a growing population, if your property is not in Borno state where bandits are your neighbour then there will always be a need for your property as a home or investment for rental income.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by jawalis(m): 6:51pm On Nov 19, 2021
Denique:

You stole my comment!

You stole my heart grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by sulaak(m): 6:57pm On Nov 19, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

instead of the owner of the house to enjoy himself, he will paying debts for 20 to 30 years of 2 properties, if he dies during the process, his children will continue the payment or the bank will claim the property.

The debt on his property will be paid by the tenant living in the property, the money from the remortgage can be invested in building a new house without a mortgage.

His life insurance can easily be structured to pay off the remainder of his outstanding mortgage when he dies. Leaving his children with two debt-free assets

My mother took out a government mortgage as a civil servant and bought one of the low-cost flats in Iponri in the 1980s, she remortgaged the flat and invest some of the money to buy two large plots of land in Ikorodu and sold one plot to fund the construction of her house in Ikorudu. She has paid off the flat mortgage in Iponri and rented out the flat and she retired to Ikorodu to a four-bedroom house and four roadside shops. My mother was an accountant.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Sureblack47: 7:10pm On Nov 19, 2021
Na mumu da go for car na. Me na 3 bedroom sure pass o
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Coolgent(m): 7:21pm On Nov 19, 2021
deepwater:
3 bedroom flat
OP at your age you still do not understand the difference between LIABILITY and ASSET?
But during this incompetent President called Buhari a Car is no longer a liability...
I bought a Car in 2019 December, at the cost of 3.5m i lost it few weeks ago at the rate of 3.8

But House is fat more better than Car o
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Mamijoh(f): 7:25pm On Nov 19, 2021
Kayberg:

Oga, you can lie o!
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by bizhop01: 7:52pm On Nov 19, 2021
Assets vs Liability
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by giftphilips(f): 7:59pm On Nov 19, 2021
House
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 19, 2021
sulaak:

The debt on his property will be paid by the tenant living in the property, the money from the remortgage can be invested in building a new house without a mortgage.

His life insurance can easily be structured to pay off the remainder of his outstanding mortgage when he dies. Leaving his children with two debt-free assets

My mother took out a government mortgage as a civil servant and bought one of the low-cost flats in Iponri in the 1980s, she remortgaged the flat and invest some of the money to buy two large plots of land in Ikorodu and sold one plot to fund the construction of her house in Ikorudu. She has paid off the flat mortgage in Iponri and rented out the flat and she retired to Ikorodu to a four-bedroom house and four roadside shops. My mother was an accountant.

Is 1980 the same thing as 2021?

How many Nigerians have life insurance.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Oceanblaze(m): 8:47pm On Nov 19, 2021
It all depends on the make of the car...
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by heartbeat84: 8:51pm On Nov 19, 2021
the 3bedroom first. the car can always come at a later time, chikena!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by sulaak(m): 8:53pm On Nov 19, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Is 1980 the same thing as 2021?

How many Nigerians have life insurance.

The financial instruments have not change, Nigerians are just financially ignorant, that's why many of them are poor and unproductive. Instead of making money work for you, they work for money.

Instead of asking how, many Nigerians have life insurance look at the few Nigerians that have wills, pensions, life insurance and you will understand even in the hardest of times the few Nigeria that understands personal finance can stretch a little wealth much further.

Mortgage rate in Nigeria can be as low as 6% if you already own the property.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:03pm On Nov 19, 2021
sulaak:

If you have property insurance, just like a car insurance than, then you can protect your house against fire.

Do you imply insurance to be a part of the investment?

Remember you can insure cars too. You can even insure life.

That is why I am treating both properties without regards for insurance.

Nigeria has a housing shortage with a growing population, if your property is not in Borno state where bandits are your neighbour then there will always be a need for your property as a home or investment for rental income.

It is not a matter of whether you will get tenants or not. It is a matter of if you will price the house as much as you would like to because how you price your house would often depend on some of the factors I listed earlier, such as location. If you built a house in Lekki when it was still a backwater, the value of the house would appreciate now that Lekki is associated with affluence. That is a good investment. But supposing Lekki suddenly becomes a haven for kidnappers and ritualists, you will of course get tenants, but would you be able to put the house down for the same price as before? Of course not. In this case, the value of the house has depreciated due to the factor of location.
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by sulaak(m): 9:22pm On Nov 19, 2021
BluntTheApostle:

Do you imply insurance to be a part of the investment?

Remember you can insure cars too. You can even insure life.

That is why I am treating both properties without regards for insurance.

It is not a matter of whether you will get tenants or not. It is a matter of if you will price the house as much as you would like to because how you price your house would often depend on some of the factors I listed earlier, such as location. If you built a house in Lekki when it was still a backwater, the value of the house would appreciate now that Lekki is associated with affluence. That is a good investment. But supposing Lekki suddenly becomes a haven for kidnappers and ritualists, you will of course get tenants, but would you be able to put the house down for the same price as before? Of course not. In this case, the value of the house has depreciated due to the factor of location.

I agree, the location of your property matters, but will I rather have a house in a high crime rate area than a car grin
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by BluntTheApostle(m): 9:47pm On Nov 19, 2021
sulaak:

I agree, the location of your property matters, but will I rather have a house in a high crime rate area than a car grin

But a house cannot move during an emergency. But a car can. grin
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by seyz91(m): 10:08pm On Nov 19, 2021
The car is obviously worth multiples of the house worth

So i would go for the car, sell it straight up, build three other buildings in different places and end up with a small car to drive around with
amzee:
I'll choose A
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by amzee(m): 10:20pm On Nov 19, 2021
seyz91:
The car is obviously worth multiples of the house worth

So i would go for the car, sell it straight up, build three other buildings in different places and end up with a small car to drive around with
Easier said than done
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by seyz91(m): 11:01pm On Nov 19, 2021
grin
amzee:

Easier said than done
Re: A 3-Bedroom Flat Or A Brand New Car: Which Would You Go For? (Photo) by Echebaron(m): 5:47am On Nov 20, 2021
Depends on the type of car though, if na car weh I fit sell build another house still get change then no wahala...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

(picture) Who Is Wearing The Trouser? / Can You Provide The Correct Answer To This Puzzle? Photo / Transliterations Of "Na Dem Dey Rush Us"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.