Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,132 members, 7,896,846 topics. Date: Sunday, 21 July 2024 at 11:16 PM

US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack - Foreign Affairs (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack (31071 Views)

Russia's Attack On Ukraine Reveals Political Fault Lines In Asia / Ursula Von Der Leyen: We Strongly Condemn Russia's Attack On Ukraine / Russia Set To Invade Ukraine At 1AM With Massive Missile Blitz & 200,000 Troops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by wirinet(m): 10:41am On Feb 13, 2022
BritishNaija:

The different between that and current, i understood it was during the era of both US and USSR dragging to be the world power. But please can you tell me why russia want to invade ukraine?

I am tired of explaining. Maybe you need to hear it from Putin himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJXwLzII278

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Cugn8JZfk

Watch the 2 videos and you will understand Putin's perspective.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by idahme(m): 10:43am On Feb 13, 2022
Fiscus105:
Why sanctions and not attacking? I think u claimed ukraine is one of ur allies. If it's USA they attack would you result to sanction?

.......that's why I love republican in USA government!

Who knows if America fears defeat in the hands of Russia Sha.

It's not about just fear of defeat , the collateral damage will be so great that no country would wish to go in for it. Russia can't surrender even when NATO joins the fight , meaning mutually assured destruction MAD will be activated by any side that see it loosing the conventional way. The USA has great advantage over the Russian side using conventional weaponry and with it's vast anti missile defense shield in Europe but unconventional dogfights will results in MAD and World war III. The US can't risk it's Homeland security for a 200 billion economy, rather it will bring it's economic might to bear and crumble the Russian economy. Ukraine should have joined NATO when other former Soviet states joined, bad situation for them.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by DeepSight(m): 10:44am On Feb 13, 2022
wirinet:

Cuban missile crisis 2.
What is good for the goose should be good for the gander.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by wirinet(m): 10:46am On Feb 13, 2022
idahme:

It's not about just fear of defeat , the collateral damage will be so great that no country would wish to go in for it. Russia can't surrender even when NATO joins the fight , meaning mutually assured destruction MAD will be activated by any side that see it loosing the conventional way. The USA has great advantage over the Russian side using conventional weaponry and with it's vast anti missile defense shield in Europe but unconventional dogfights will results in MAD and World war III. The US can't risk it's Homeland security for a 200 billion economy, rather it will bring it's economic might to bear and crumble the Russian economy. Ukraine should have joined NATO when other former Soviet states joined, bad situation for them.

Why? What was the reason NATO was formed and do those reasons still exist today? Maybe Russia should join NATO also.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by DeepSight(m): 10:47am On Feb 13, 2022
idahme:

With the rise of China, US economic hegemony in the world is no longer a given.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by idahme(m): 10:48am On Feb 13, 2022
CUMIN:
This people are just alarmist... nothing is going on in Ukraine

Are you reporting from Ukraine?

If No then it's good to watch as things unfold, the US intelligence is fighting to keep the Russians on the negotiation table by bursting Russian millitary strategies even before it comes to fruition. They are trying to avoid the Crimea scenario.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 10:50am On Feb 13, 2022
wirinet:

Putin have no excuse rather his Ego, If or when he invades Ukraine, He might be ok financially, but his country economy will be in shambles, that will result in internal crisis for russia citizens which he has been suppressing, it will only be a matter of time before he is overthrown by his own people.

A man that wants to rule forever without caring about the citizes, he thinks russia is same with china, but he will be in for a long thing this time around.
And why did he annexed Crimea in the first place if he is now afraid ukraine will get ir back? He created the problem hunting him himself.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Fernandeswagger(m): 10:52am On Feb 13, 2022
BritishNaija:

The different between that and current, i understood it was during the era of both US and USSR dragging to be the world power. But please can you tell me why russia want to invade ukraine?

The answer to your question is fear. It's just self preservation. Russia is worried that Ukraine joining NATO would mean Ukraine being used as a military base for US forces ( something the US wouldn't tolerate as written by the poster you just quoted. Forget the time line or the fact that USSR doesn't exist anymore).

The question should be; why does the US want to establish a military base close to the southern borders of Russia? Is it not provoking?

Let's face the truth here, if Russia can't have military bases close to the US then same should apply to the Russian borders. NATO is just a beautiful front by the west here and Ukraine is playing right into the trap.

1 Like

Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by wirinet(m): 10:55am On Feb 13, 2022
BritishNaija:

Putin have no excuse rather his Ego, If or when he invades Ukraine, He might be ok financially, but his country economy will be in shambles, that will result in internal crisis for russia citizens which he has been suppressing, it will only be a matter of time before he is overthrown by his own people.

A man that wants to rule forever without caring about the citezes, he thinks russia is same with china, but he will be in for a long thing this time around.

You are just being unreasonably sentimental. Putin has the support of the Russian people on this. Russians don't want to be surrounded by the enemy. Ukraine is just next door to Russia, in fact 30% of Ukrainians are ethnic Russians, so there are fears that Ukraine joining NATO would have serious security implications for Russia.

The reason he annex Crimea is because Crimea people are ethnic Russians and have very close family ties to mainland Russia. It's like biafra seceding and leaving Anioma in Nigeria. Anioma will perpetually be a source of conflict.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 13, 2022
Fernandeswagger:

The answer to your question is fear. It's just self preservation. Russia is worried that Ukraine joining NATO would mean Ukraine being used as a military base for US forces ( something the US wouldn't tolerate as written by the poster you just quoted. Forget the time line or the fact that USSR doesn't exist anymore).

The question should be; why does the US want to establish a military base close to the southern borders of Russia? Is it not provoking?

Let's face the truth here, if Russia can't have military bases close to the US then same should apply to the Russian borders. NATO is just a beautiful front by the west here and Ukraine is playing right into the trap.
I'm for peaceful resolution about this, but Putin is a bully and egomatic.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 11:00am On Feb 13, 2022
wirinet:

You are just being unreasonably sentimental. Putin has the support of the Russian people on this. Russians don't want to be surrounded by the enemy. Ukraine is just next door to Russia, in fact 30% of Ukrainians are ethnic Russians, so there are fears that Ukraine joining NATO would have serious security implications for Russia.

I'm not being sentimental anything, you should not use because of you have your citizens in other country and invade the country, why would you annexed a city that belongs to another country?
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by DeepSight(m): 11:05am On Feb 13, 2022
smeag0l:
War is not the way you are thinking it is. Russia, North Korea and China even if they form an alliance all know that the US will defeat them. There are stats that point to this fact. The first is that all these countries have no allies close to the US except cuba. And theres no eay thry can get to cuba to set up weaponry to fight the US without passing through coubtries that are US and NATO allies so it is technically impossible to fight US from close range. Fighting them from afar using long rsnge missles is also loke wasting weaponry as US has some of the most up-to-date missle deflection systems. On the contrary, US can set up for war very close to all these countries as possible because they have allies all surrounding them.Secondly, the US spends the highest amount of money on defence than any other country in the world. Thirdly, amongst all these countries, Only China has more number of people in the military than US. Besides, the US only needs the total number of soldiers from just 2 or 3 other NATO allies to neutralize the ones a combination of Russia , China, North Korea, Cuba and Iran has. They onky need India , Egypt and France. Now, the rest of the soldiers from NATO are available to easily neutralize them. Then lastly, and the most important point, the US can defeat all these countries by starving them of funding. Ask me how?All of the world'sreserve currencies are either in USD,japanese YEN, Swiss francs or Euro. All the nations that use these currencies are NATO allies. It just takes a sanction to freeze reserve funds of any country going to war with NATO and then watch them run out of funds and then stop the war themselves or get vanquished. This , amongst others, is what you should think of whenever you hear sanctions. Please go study international politics, macroeconomics and diplomacy before you come type anything online. You guys just wake up and think that because a country is testing nuclear weapons and making noise about it that it means they can fight the US. Russia should go to fight Ukraine if they can and see where it will end them as a country!

I think you greatly overestimate US Military hegemony in the world as of today. Things have really changed. Anybody who thinks the US can take on Russia and China combined today is living in la la land. It is not even certain that they can take on China alone. Also you didnt account for the potentials of cyber warfare in your analysis. It is the most important emergent factor in modern warfare and a single hacker who knows what he's doing can neutralize a superpower. Think more deeply - the world has changed a great deal from the post-cold war US hegemony. Within our lifetimes, China will be the undisputed economic leader of the world. That is unstoppable.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 11:06am On Feb 13, 2022
wirinet:

The reason he annex Crimea is because Crimea people are ethnic Russians and have very close family ties to mainland Russia. It's like biafra seceding and leaving Anioma in Nigeria. Anioma will perpetually be a source of conflict.
That was not the reason he annexed rather excuse. He was pained that the pro russian ukraine president was removed by protest.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 11:09am On Feb 13, 2022
DeepSight:

I think you greatly overestimate US Military hegemony in the world as of today. Things have really changed. Anybody who thinks the US can take on Russia and China combined today is living in la la land. It is not even certain that they can take on China alone. Also you didnt account for the potentials of cyber warfare in your analysis. It is the most important emergent factor in modern warfare and a single hacker who knows what he's doing can neutralize a superpower. Think more deeply - the world has changed a great deal from the post-cold war US hegemony. Within our lifetimes, China will be the undisputed economic leader of the world. That is unstoppable.

See, US can take China alone or Russia Alone, I can not say about combined forces, But as for China being world power, you can put that in the back seat.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Fernandeswagger(m): 11:15am On Feb 13, 2022
BritishNaija:

I'm for peaceful resolution about this, but Putin is a bully and egomatic.

I like your disposition on this. I want peace too. But I don't think Putin( not supporting Putin) is the bad guy here. It's just for self preservation like I said earlier. I think the west should cancel Ukraine's NATO membership for the sake of peace and de-ecalate the tension building up. But you know these guys want war so they can test their new toys and also sell weapons. Another thing, Ukraine joining NATO would greatly weaken Russia.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by seyz91(m): 11:15am On Feb 13, 2022
They kuku trying to stop it as i'm following the event well, it just appears PUTIN is hell bent on displaying his madness
Rossikk:

If they ''value their citIzens' lives'', how about not starting WW3 nuclear holocaust, abi your head no correct?

Better understand that these oyinbo leaders you worship are actually very stupid and dumb, and act like possessed people.

Only God can save us from their bloodlust and gross stupidity.

Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Rugaria: 11:17am On Feb 13, 2022
MyMouth:

We are almost saying the same thing. No country will attack Russia because of Ukraine because Ukraine is not part of NATO but I can bet you there will be war if Russia attackd or invade a NATO country like Poland. But wether nuclear weapons will be deployed in such a war is another thing. I don't think they would because it will mean the end, because of what is referred to as MAD.

If Russia attacks Ukraine, then Ukraine will defend herself. Other countries in support of Ukraine may smuggle weapons to Ukraine. It begins and ends there. No other country will dare attack Russia directly, whether conventional or not because Russias reactions to that may lead to Armageddon...
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Akabuking: 11:22am On Feb 13, 2022
Mooh247:

Jollof war grin
Even entertainment war.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 11:26am On Feb 13, 2022
Fernandeswagger:

I like your disposition on this. I want peace too. But I don't think Putin( not supporting Putin) is the bad guy here. It's just for self preservation like I said earlier. I think the west should cancel Ukraine's NATO membership for the sake of peace and de-ecalate the tension building up. But you know these guys want war so they can test their new toys and also sell weapons. Another thing, Ukraine joining NATO would greatly weaken Russia.

If Russia Invade Ukraine, not only will their economy be weakened, they will find themself in Afghanistan 2.0 kind of conflict as they will be suffering casualties from preventable attacks. It will be in form of gorilla attacks with more sophisticated weapons supplied by the western countries.

They will find themself in never ending conflicts, Putin should drop his Ego and push back, no one will attack russian first knowing fully well they have Atomic Bombs.
He should instead focus on how to alleviate his citizens from suffering.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by smeag0l(m): 11:45am On Feb 13, 2022
Exactly. And this is because Ukraine ,until recently, has not been a member state of NATO. It'sjust because of Russia's annexation of Crimea that made them join NATO. Although, the US is going to get directly involved in this war, in my opinion. Theyve been looking for ways to engage countries like Russia and China for some time now. This is the perfect opportunity. US has already entered troops to neighbouring countries to Ukraine like Moldova and Romania. NATO troops have also arrived there since last week. Biden has already told Putin to embrace dialogue or that they'll respond decisively in the event of any attack on Ukraine. Russia is overstepping their bounds in this and they'll not come out of it unscathed.
wirinet:

Putin will invade Ukraine, unless by some miracle, Biden decides to give Putin assurances (in writing) that Ukraine will not be allowed to join NATO.
Putin fears NATO base at his southern border than the economic effects of a war.

The US and the West cannot directly get involved in a Russian-Ukraine war. No American wouod support sending boots into Ukraine. The best they can do is protect other NATO allies and support the Ukrainian military with materials and logistics.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by smeag0l(m): 11:49am On Feb 13, 2022
No neighbouring country will but the US can. However, the US will not use nuclear weapons as it is part of what they have signed through the geneva convention. But to let you know, the US has far more nuclear weapons than all these countries shouting everyday have. Ask anybody staying in San antonio , Texas to tell you more about this. A lot of people grossly under-estimate the US because they dont come out to do what other irrational country leaders like that of Russia, North Korea and China do
Rugaria:

If Russia attacks Ukraine, the Ukraine will defend herself. Other countries in support of Ukraine may smuggle weapons to Ukraine. It begins and ends there. No other country will dare attack Russia directly, whether conventional or not because Russias reactions to that may lead to Armageddon...

1 Like

Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by smeag0l(m): 11:54am On Feb 13, 2022
These things that the US is doing are necessary to maintain world peace. Countries like Russia, China and North Korea have very irrational leaders and someone needs to put them in check otherwise theyll destroy all their neighbours. Look at how Russia is treating Ukraine. Same way China is treating Taiwan and Taipei. Same way North Korea has been intimidating their southern neighbours until the international community waded in. If these countries were not misbehaving, US will not have troops stationed perpetually in their neighbouring countries
anonymous1759:

Who’s the Aggressor? Will the United States or Uk allow Russia to have a military bases in close by countries to the US or UK ? Absolutely NO.
Please don’t allow western Media to brainwash you.
How many bases does Russia, China , NK , Iran etc have in the world ? And you call them the Aggressors. The US has more than a Dozen if I’m not mistaken.
The same thing the United States stood Against in CUBA is same thing they want Russia to accept.
No human on earth will be comfortable living with a Snake next door. Use your own knowledge to ascertain the issue not what you see on papers.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by wirinet(m): 11:59am On Feb 13, 2022
smeag0l:
Exactly. And this is because Ukraine ,until recently, has not been a member state of NATO. It's just because of Russia's annexation of Crimea that made them join NATO. Although, the US is going to get directly involved in this war, in my opinion. Theyve been looking for ways to engage countries like Russia and China for some time now. This is the perfect opportunity. US has already entered troops to neighbouring countries to Ukraine like Moldova and Romania. NATO troops have also arrived there since last week. Biden has already told Putin to embrace dialogue or that they'll respond decisively in the event of any attack on Ukraine. Russia is overstepping their bounds in this and they'll not come out of it unscathed.

False! You guys just make conjectures without having any idea of the issues at hand.

The catalyst for this crisis started in 2008 when NATO offered Ukraine and Georgia membership against the gentleman's agreement made in 1989 between George Bush and Gorbachev of not expanding NATO eastwards.

BUCHAREST (Reuters) - NATO leaders promised Ukraine and Georgia on Thursday they would one day join the Western defense alliance after rebuffing U.S. demands to put the former Soviet republics on an immediate path to membership.

Germany, France and smaller NATO states withstood pressure from U.S. President George W. Bush to offer the two countries a Membership Action Plan (MAP), a first step towards entry, saying neither was ready and Russia could be antagonized.

But NATO leaders softened the blow by making a vaguer pledge to invite the two to join the alliance at some point in the future and saying former Cold War foe Moscow should have no influence on membership decisions.
- https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSL0179714620080403

Since then NATO has carried out 3 waves of expansion.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by wirinet(m): 12:04pm On Feb 13, 2022
BritishNaija:

I'm not being sentimental anything, you should not use because of you have your citizens in other country and invade the country, why would you annexed a city that belongs to another country?

There was actually a referendum in which the Crimeans chose to go with Russia. Why don't the western media ask the Crimean people what they actually want?
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Rugaria: 12:08pm On Feb 13, 2022
smeag0l:
No neighbouring country will but the US can. However, the US will not use nuclear weapons as it is part of what they have signed through the geneva convention. But to let you know, the US has far more nuclear weapons than all these countries shouting everyday have. Ask anybody staying in San antonio , Texas to tell you more about this. A lot of people grossly under-estimate the US because they dont come out to do what other irrational country leaders like that of Russia, North Korea and China do

I don't know why you Nigerians like arguing blindly over this America vs Russia thing. It's crazy, bro... This is not about who fights better or who has better army. The point is that at the state the Americans and the Russians and the Chinese are, frontal confrontations is a no no, because it will destroy everyone involved. The west might have more nuclear warheads than Russia but Russia has more nukes than the US. In any event, how many warheads do you need to wipe off a whole continent? Each party here has more than double, the required number! So? They won't fight! Unless they want to risk cancelling out each other. The US knows this , likewise Russia.

But the US might use Ukraine to bog down Russia and drain her economically through war expenses..., exactly the same thing they did to The Soviets in Afghanistan. They can only do so through proxies. They might be effective with such a plan, but it will demand a grand level of coordination, even more than the type that helped The Taliban topple the Soviet supported government in Kabul. Russia and The West won't fight frontally over Ukraine. What's in Ukraine to force such an apocalyptic fight? Do you understands what will happen in 24 hours, if it degenerates to a nuclear fisticuffs?
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 12:13pm On Feb 13, 2022
wirinet:

There was actually a referendum in which the Crimeans chose to go with Russia. Why don't the western media ask the Crimean people what they actually want?

As long as the part belongs to ukraine, if anyone wants to join russian, they can cross the border and do, and not annexing crimea.

What do you have to say too about what russia is doing to Donbas too?
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by wirinet(m): 12:19pm On Feb 13, 2022
BritishNaija:

As long as the part belongs to ukraine, if anyone wants to join russian, they can cross the border and do, and not annexing crimea.

What do you have to say too about what russia is doing to Donbas too?
So you don't support a country using a referendum to decide where they belong?
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 12:26pm On Feb 13, 2022
wirinet:

So you don't support a country using a referendum to decide where they belong?
Is crimea a country or part of ukraine?
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by anonymous1759(m): 12:30pm On Feb 13, 2022
smeag0l:
These things that the US is doing are necessary to maintain world peace. Countries like Russia, China and North Korea have very irrational leaders and someone needs to put them in check otherwise theyll destroy all their neighbours. Look at how Russia is treating Ukraine. Same way China is treating Taiwan and Taipei. Same way North Korea has been intimidating their southern neighbours until the international community waded in. If these countries were not misbehaving, US will not have troops stationed perpetually in their neighbouring countries
o

Sorry to say. You’ve been brainwashed.
World peace my foot . Libya was peaceful until NATO came . I don’t want to mention a host of countries the west has destroyed in the name of peace.

How is Russia threaten Ukraine ? United States
Went to War with CUBA and was ready to wage war with Russia because Russia wants to have a base In CUBA . Why did your USA didn’t act like a true democrat and allow CUBA mingle freely with any country of her choice ?

When Russia is doing the same you call it Bully. Stop listening to western propaganda. Use your own brain to analyze you’ll see the clearer picture.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Fernandeswagger(m): 12:52pm On Feb 13, 2022
BritishNaija:

If Russia Invade Ukraine, not only will there economy be weakened, they will find themself in Afghanistan 2.0 kind of conflict as they will be suffering casualties from preventable attacks. It will be in form of gorilla attacks with more sophisticated weapons supplied by the western countries.

They will find themself in never ending conflicts, Putin should drop his Ego and push back, no one will attack russian first knowing fully well they have Atomic Bombs.
He should instead focus on how to alleviate his citizens from suffering.

Okay. The events of this week will be very interesting. Let's see how it unfolds... we'll continue this conversation later this week, I'm sure we'll have a lot to discuss. Have a fantastic week ahead grin
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by Nobody: 1:12pm On Feb 13, 2022
Fernandeswagger:

Okay. The events of this week will be very interesting. Let's see how it unfolds... we'll continue this conversation later this week, I'm sure we'll have a lot to discuss. Have a fantastic week ahead grin

You too brother.
Re: US, allies ask citizens to leave Ukraine at once, amid a possible Russia attack by DeepSight(m): 1:15pm On Feb 13, 2022
wirinet:

The reason he annex Crimea is because Crimea people are ethnic Russians and have very close family ties to mainland Russia.

Hitler used the same reasoning to gobble up the Sudetenland and Austria.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Congo: Soldier Kills Wife, 2 Children, 10 Others For Burying Son In His Absence / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 / US Capitol Under Lockdown After Security Threat

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.