Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,719 members, 7,941,738 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 12:23 PM

Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? (16962 Views)

Husband Beats Pregnant wife for flogging his Dog...! / Best Way To Discipline A Child Without Spanking / Is It Possible To Raise A Child Without Beating (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Gbenge77(m): 11:02am On Aug 01, 2011
Of course there are other punishments that could be meted out to a child asides flogging
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by ravenesque: 5:14pm On Aug 01, 2011
@ Jennykadry, NICE ONE.

I live in London, and I can't understand how much the place has changed since I was a kid, before smacking was outlawed. Disgusting is an understatement. The kids are literally crying out for some direction, some discipline, anything which doesn't involve the 'let's all be friends' lectures that parents, counsellors, teachers and mentors give out to them these days.

My parents smacked us when we really pushed our luck. I was smacked more than my siblings because I pushed my luck more. I have to be honest and say that I am really glad for all of the discipline that I received. It really does set me apart from many of my peers who were not disciplined in the same manner. Fear is certainly an integral part of growing up: Fear of fire, fear of beatings and fear of death. People without any kind of fear are either stupid or daft or both. There are things in the world which must be feared. Some call it respect, I say , which ever description makes you feel better.
Some things don't need too much explanation, for example if you touch fire, you will probably feel the heat before it burns you. However other things, like the scenario mentioned by mutter : the potential for her baby girl falling off the bunk-bed and sustaining an injury, that cannot be explained. It is not realistic to go around explaining every last detail on earth. Doesn't make sense. Therefore, mutter gave her daughter the best possible explanation at the time.

I do prefer people who have grown up kids giving ideas on child-rearing. I just do not believe that people with small kids can really make full judgement on how well they have coped as a parent. The proof will be in the grown up 25 year old 'kid', how that kid behaves at home and in the wider society, and also what that kid has amounted to. For thse with kids under this age in my opinion, it's still 'a work in progress'. That is why I think it is always good to look to ourselves and think about the way in which we were raised and what we have amounted to as adults.

1 Like

Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 01, 2011
^^^^You are speaking as if Nigerians are more disciplined that Brits! Are you going to tell me that there are more law abiding citizenry in Lagos than London?

Sorry, smacking or flogging amount to nothing good in upbringing of any kid. Fear of death, fear of fire and fear of beating all only equate to Psychological inherent of fear. I can now see why the country youths can be fearful of the unknown. Believe me you can not achieve a lot with such. Fear is not supposed to be part of a youth life than respect, you never commented about.

Children need to be well nurture with love, education, advice and restriction through disciplinary measures.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by putti: 9:31pm On Aug 01, 2011
Growing up I never respected my father.  My dad beat me a lot more than my mum.  One day I was misbehaving on a school trip to kent and my dad took me around the corner and gave me a good beating.  Growing up I was wild and even as a teenager my dad would kick me and continuously swear at me and tell me that I am a little s**t and other words, and a lot of drama.

However, I never feared him and would just swear back at him although it would result in a good beating or being kicked (physically kicked out of the house). 

My mum beat me just a little bit growing up.  She would threaten me more, but I do not remember her beating me a lot.   However, I respected her a lot more than my dad. She did not swear at me.  I was scared of her and that was what keep me from being on the streets full time as (unlike my friends) had a strict curfew.  That is what saved me.  In fact I am in my twenties and I still fear my mum. 

Growing up though my mum knew that I feared her and forced me to do some outrageous things to protect the family name, although I was over 16 and in London that would entitle me to a council accommodation, I was so scared I could not run away and do the right thing.

Commonly my family friends comment on the fact that I was beaten and they say that it is was the best thing that happened as I am doing good things with my life.

On a final note, parents must respect there children when beating them as beatings from my father did me nothing due to the insults.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 8:23am On Oct 24, 2012
Teacher flogs girl, 12, to death

Minister of Education,Prof Ruquyatu Rufai
Miss Chidimma Ukachukwu, a 12-year-old, JSS 1 student of a secondary school in Awka (names withheld) has died after she was allegedly flogged by her teacher for failing to do her home work.

A reliable source in the school told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) yesterday in Awka, the Anambra state capital, that the girl died on Thursday last week after the incident.

The source explained that the girl fainted after being flogged severally by a female teacher and was subsequently rushed to an undisclosed hospital, where she died.

The source also said the Anambra Commissioner for Education, Mrs Uju Okeke, then ordered the closure of the school as a result of the incident.

Our correspondent, who visited the girl’s family home, soon after she was buried yesterday in Awka, reports that the family was in grief following the death of their daughter.

The girl’s father, Mr Siemon Ukachukwu, confirmed the death of his daughter and said it was a sad development, but was an act of God.

But when Okeke was contacted she denied ordering the closure of the school and said the school was on mid-term break.

NAN investigation, however, revealed that schools in Anambra were not on mid-term break.

This fact was corroborated by an official of the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT) in Akwa South local government of Anambra.

The chairperson of the union in the local government, Miss Buife Ndigwe, said primary and secondary schools in the state would go on mid-term break next week.

Also contacted for comments, the Public Relations Officer of the state Police command, Mr Ralph Uzoigwe, said the matter had not been reported to the police, but promised that it would be investigated.
Source
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Stillluvnaija: 10:30am On Oct 16, 2013
House, I need your candid opinion. My 20 month old daughter (Only child for now) is getting stubborn and spoilt. I feel like getting a cain to flog her once in a while when she is very naughty but mostly to use the cain to threaten her but am not sure if it is still too early.
Any suggestions as I would not like her to get spoilt or become more heady.

Second question, she has refused to eat any solid food ( We have tried eba, yam, beans, bread, rice etc ) but she does not seem to like it and is currently underweight by up to 1kg. She only manages to eat cereals and that's about it. Any advice as to how to break this jinx? My wife did 6 months exclusive breastfeeding and she was much bigger then than now. Can we force her to eat solid food? What of the risk of choking?
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Timothy22: 3:53am On Apr 29, 2015
I was raised by my Grandparents in the country after my Father left my Mother and my Mother couldn't cope. She packed me off to her parents at five with a warning about how strict they were. They treated me like their own kid. In Public: The sweetest old couple you'd ever want to meet. At Home: Tyrants, Bossy, Super strict - they had an awful feather duster with a cane end and they well applied it to me. Good manners, good behaviour, be a very good boy - or else one of them - usually my Grampa dragged me to his room, took the feather duster down from above his closet and flogged my bum good and hard across his knee. This went on to about 12. But in retrospective I was a Straight A student and grew up alright after that. - Timothy, Ballarat
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by adeyemiolatayo1: 12:35pm On Dec 02, 2018
I don't understand why humans would always want to find out some foolish reasons to question the wisdom of the one who created all things ......and expect to achieve a good result. God has said it several times categorically in the Bible and even in the Quran and we call ourselves Christians and Muslims ?..
..even all science and moral philosophers confirmed it.
A child is to be trained to understand the system of the society and be able to live and fit well into it. There is a judicial system in the society , this system flogs both emotionally and physically .let us stand for the truth.
There are schools in lekki , Lagos like standards bearers school, lekki , and many others they do not have any disciplinary policy at all they are majorly after the money they would collect from the parents .They allow the children to do any thing they want ,and the children are asked secretly by the management if they like their teacher or not .They have wickedly fired a lot of teachers simply because of this.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by adeyemiolatayo1: 12:59pm On Dec 02, 2018
adeyemiolatayo1:
I don't understand why humans would always want to find out some foolish reasons to question the wisdom of the one who created all things ......and expect to achieve a good result. God has said it several times categorically in the Bible and even in the Quran and we call ourselves Christians and Muslims ?..
A child is to be trained to understand the system of the society and be able to live and fit well into it. There is a judicial system in the society , this system flogs both emotionally and physically .let us stand for the truth.
There are schools in lekki , Lagos like standards bearers school, lekki , and many others they do not have any disciplinary policy at all they are majorly after the money they would collect from the parents .They allow the children to do any thing they want ,and the children are asked secretly by the management if they like their teacher or not .They have wickedly fired a lot of teachers simply because of this.

adeyemiolatayo1:
There are schools in lekki and many others they do not have any disciplinary policy at all they are majorly after the money they would collect from the parents .They allow the children to do any thing they want ,and the children are asked secretly by the management if they like their teacher or not .They have wickedly fired a lot of teachers simply because of this.

Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 7:54pm On Dec 04, 2018
DrummaBoy:
cane
A friend told me how his mum beat him to top his class
He owes his 2-1 to dat incidence
there's a rod of correction
That guy was fortunate. Flogging had mould some persons, it has also made some heartless. What applies to A may not work for B.
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 04, 2018
itsik:
@poster

it is possible to train a child without the cane. i agree  and am going to do dat to my own kids when i have them. but wont forget our own days, where we were flogged for every mistake you make.
we ought to remember this, that if you keep flogging a child to correct him and make him respect you. that child will grow up with that fear of the cane.then when he grows that u cant beat or flog him or her anylonger, the respect will not be there cos u have tought him how to fear the cane other than respecting u.
in essence, if a child makes mistakes, dont beat him always. learn to talk to him or her in that way they learn and love you too, but if u always beat them up they learn to fear you wiht out learning wat actually u want them to know about their wrong. wen they grow and the fear is no more , i bet u, u can control him or her. cos u instilled fear not discipline and correction.

thats my own opinion
Absolute correct
Re: Is It Possible To Discipline A Child Without Flogging Him Or Her? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 04, 2018
Woke4all:
I totally agree with the floging method.

I remember back then in my family every child, in the house have his/her size of cane which only my mum use as the action woman. grin

Even in school it's everyday requirement for us to grow.

Some are saying it has Psychological effect. Of which is not true, If not for those cane and the iron like Goldie said, Hmmmm na Agbero some of us for be grin.

My mum do the beating while my dad did the advising back then which made me who i am today.

So to me Beating/floging and advicing goes together to make a child become a better person.
Inspite of the spankings we still have agbero that are rude, many notorious thieves causing havoc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Parenting In The Digital Age / N20,000 Tradermoni Tears Adamawa Couple Apart As Husband Drags Wife To Court / FFK On Abortion: Mother's Can't Decide Whether A Baby Should Live Or Die

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.