Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,337 members, 7,907,856 topics. Date: Thursday, 01 August 2024 at 03:25 PM

Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread - Satellite TV Technology (164) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Satellite TV Technology / Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread (5537989 Views)

Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 5 - The Final Part) / Official Thread Of Free To Air Satellite Tv (part 4) / Official Thread of Free-To-Air Satellite TV (Part 1) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) ... (2355) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by emynem05(m): 7:09pm On Jun 19, 2012
@pofolo
U r on point!
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by BUGS12: 8:42pm On Jun 19, 2012
@all, if u want to discuss anything freely (dxxglez, xxxcam) u can cuum to ma syt and feel free to discuss anytyn about everytyn. Diz forum is now filled wit newbies askyn all kindz of questionz without answerz. Cuum to ma syt and get ansaz. Registrationz are still on, hurry b4 it closez. D name of ma syt is in ma signature. Alwayz kip d flag flyn.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by obnelly: 9:06pm On Jun 19, 2012
next
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Dlee1(m): 11:17pm On Jun 19, 2012
@ All, rescan your MultiTv trasponder to recieve a new channel on the said trasponder. LifeTv to be precise. Thank you.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by lovala(m): 1:18am On Jun 20, 2012
D.lee:
@ All, rescan your MultiTv trasponder to recieve a new channel on the said trasponder. LifeTv to be precise. Thank you.
u r right!
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Ikiriye(m): 2:24am On Jun 20, 2012
@georgeD
Can you help me find out from butoneday what his signal quality on hispasat is or better still forward me his phone number to my box ikiriye@gmail.com.thanks
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Kungu(m): 5:30am On Jun 20, 2012
George_D: @kungu,
Thanks for that sweet info. I'll have to swing to work to revive my motorized comstar dish.

Good Morning George,

The BBC News Channel has gone off air on Intelsat 10-02.
Will keep you updated,once the channel resurfaces.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Pidzo(m): 7:32am On Jun 20, 2012
Kungu:

Good Morning George,

The BBC News Channel has gone off air on Intelsat 10-02.
Will keep you updated,once the channel resurfaces.

This is news worth waiting for. I once wrote to the BBC asking them the logic of giving Africa an Arabic FTA channel when they know pretty well that the majority of Sub Saharan Africans dont speak Arabic. The conversation was fine. It's my hope that this channel will last. grin grin
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by ainanimi: 9:08am On Jun 20, 2012
Good day all, pls can any one help me with the frequency and the symbol rate for the tracking of W3A signal.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by GeorgeD1(m): 10:42am On Jun 20, 2012
@kungu,
Thanks for the update. Please let the house know as soon as that BBC world tp turns green again.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by wajab99: 10:54am On Jun 20, 2012
All scan W3A for stv2 it is showing yesterdays match between france vrs sweden hope it is a sports channel.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Pidzo(m): 1:29pm On Jun 20, 2012
George_D: @Pidzo,
That was quie an interesting piece. I'm particularly struck by the last statement:

"MultiChoice, which offers pay-TV on its DStv platform, is eyeing massive benefits from the looming blackout".

Sounds really true to type for DSTV. Always exploring all avenues to extinguish the flames of FTA anywhere they go
so that people will have no choice than to subscribe to their exorbitant packages. angry
You surely know BB, they try to squeeze all FTA avenues. They know here in southern Africa most people with KU band dishes dont subscribe to BB, they enjoy FTA that includes these SABC channels. grin grin
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by verwegsateliet(m): 1:49pm On Jun 20, 2012
obnelly: Verwegasatelite, where is your location,if you are close to east africa yahsat could be your best bet .pls your kocation matters with your location people in that area can give you a clue,hope you are good now.
sorry if i repeated before my posts
my gps settings show im in South west africa or for the non purists namibia
border to namatoni which is etosha national park look it up somwhere dont know where i seen a zambian post if im correct that receive nilesat zimbabwe zambia and angola and bostwanna is countries becuase i seen the nwa footprint of nilesat i was thinkin g atleast that i can get which other sats believe whould i get nobody i can ask wiating for german guy in windhoek 500km's from me if he answer me he has 5m dish selfmade received some 13 e and 19 e on it that's all info i have .
i would appreciate it if somebody can look my gps up and on a map as i look nigeria is on top side of me im underneath and zambia on right as i have no way of how do read a half complete footprint map or try to work out if the signal is origanal 53/48 exetra how much do i need to subtract to give you some idea how big dish u need.
thx answering yahsat, is one nilesat i pray for as multichoice is getting to expensive, toptv in south africa i try to became a dealer some options not so good as astra 2b that if i can i would go for that too.
anyone can jump in and see what can give me some options i even am willing if i can to sell one of my mesh dishes to raise money to let me build the same dish as the guy or a 6m if that would help
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Nobody: 3:12pm On Jun 20, 2012
nanaba2009: Hi guys,
All matches of EURO 2012 are on GRTS (4124 L 3572) on Eutelsat @ 5 degrees west. Happy viewing!!!

^^...wonder why i can't get this ish...getting a signal strength of up 50% yet the thing is annoyingly red.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Kungu(m): 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2012
George_D: @kungu,
Thanks for the update. Please let the house know as soon as that BBC world tp turns green again.

Good Evening George,

BBC NEWS back on intelsat 10-02 c band frequency 4026 R (V) DVB-S SR 7324

Pidzo:

This is news worth waiting for. I once wrote to the BBC asking them the logic of giving Africa an Arabic FTA channel when they know pretty well that the majority of Sub Saharan Africans dont speak Arabic. The conversation was fine. It's my hope that this channel will last. grin grin

Thanks for giving voice to the Voiceless.
The mass needs to know what is going on around the world for free, thats why i give Al-jazeera News channel 5 Stars Rating for being an eye opener to the World and Africa.

Blessed Evening all...
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by satmaniac(m): 6:34pm On Jun 20, 2012
gud evening@ kungu,wil lyk 2 discuss with you,hope you dont mind.

1 Like

Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by satmaniac(m): 6:37pm On Jun 20, 2012
Its something that has to do with RDI....
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Kungu(m): 6:41pm On Jun 20, 2012
satmaniac: Its something that has to do with RDI....

Good Evening Satmaniac,

The site is currently down as the are moving the site to a new host.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by satmaniac(m): 6:56pm On Jun 20, 2012
thanks 4 the info @kungu.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Pidzo(m): 7:04pm On Jun 20, 2012
Kungu:

Good Evening George,

Thanks for giving voice to the Voiceless.

The mass needs to know what is going on around the world for free, thats why i give Al-jazeera News channel 5 Stars Rating for being an eye opener to the World and Africa.

Blessed Evening all...

I totally agree with you. Aljazeera just presents the news as it is while these other networks concentrate on the negatives of Africa. cheesy cheesy
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by obnelly: 8:30pm On Jun 20, 2012
verwegsatellite, please I cant understand you.if am right you wanna know the satellite you can receive in your area.Are you from Namibia or West Africa.Nothing like South west Africa its either East, West North or South Africa.please let us know exactly what your are trying to tell the house.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by verwegsateliet(m): 8:46pm On Jun 20, 2012
obnelly: verwegsatellite, please I cant understand you.if am right you wanna know the satellite you can receive in your area.Are you from Namibia or West Africa.Nothing like South west Africa its either East, West North or South Africa.please let us know exactly what your are trying to tell the house.
to help you it was called south west africa or extaly South west or in duct suid wes(namibia is the same just the new name)
yes like to know which sats i can receive at moment on astra 4a and w3a move my dish also on intel 7.
like to know what can i get with my big dishes or what i can try for like astra 2b,yahsat and nilesat that 3 looking for on ku especially nilesat for the mbc movies excetra.
english program some dutch or netherlands exetra can do with english subtitels.
am i clear know have one 3.2m setup that i want to point to a sat that is not receivable with an 90cm or normal size dish want to make good use of this one and the one that looks like a proledin 3.8m that i want to motorize
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by obnelly: 9:13pm On Jun 20, 2012
HISTORY of ARTIFICIAL SATELLITES

English author,Arthur C.Clarke,who stated in 1945 that the satellites could be used in communication,is regarded as the inventor of the telecommunications satellites today.In his writing he had also stated that the human being could benefit from the satellites as a means of communication once they were put into orbit.Subsequently another great contribution to this theory was made by an American scientist ,J.R Pierce Clarke. Also, Konstantin Tsiolkousy,
a Russian mathematician, had contributed a lot to this theory by finding out the necessary conditions enabling the rocket to get out of the earth’s gravitational area.

Robert H. Goldard,an American scientist,did the first scientific tests on satellites. The rockets failed to go further than he had intented.But he was the first scientist to use the main rocket fuel,a mixture of benzine and oxygen.The former Soviet Union has gone down in history,launching the first satellite SPUTNIK1.This time the first satellite with a living creature, SPUTNIK 2 was launced by the Russians on November ,10,1957.The U.S.A launched its first satellite called ”EXPLORER” four months after the Russians.But none of those three were telecommunications satellites.

In the end, the world’s first communications satellite, SCORE, was launced by the USA on December ,18,1958.
But unfortunately it was able to function in orbit only 12 days....

The era of Satellite communication,literally, started on July,10,1962,when TELSTAR1 was launched into orbit.The first tv broadcast , covering the Atlantic Region was made through TELSTAR 1..TELSTAR 1,launched by The American Telephone and Telegraph Company, was in the shape of a cylinder. Having failed to launch further than 10000 kms,then’s rockets were stationed into elliptic orbit,causing both the satellites to move too fast and the staff of the ground station to have difficulties in controling them.These problems needed being solved.The scientists ,finally, came to the conclusion that the best way to handle such problems was to launch the satellites into isochronal orbit...

On 19,August,1964,the USA overcame such problems by launching satellite ,SYNCOM3 into isochronical orbit.The first live tv program was transmitted by the satellite SYNCOM3. from 1964 Olympic games taking place in Japan.

Intelsat Contributing much to the history of telecommunications satellites,INTELSAT,with the participation of eleven countries, was founded in the capital Washington D.C in 1964.Today it is an organization of 143 countries including Turkey.

Eutelsat In 1977 another enormous innovation was made and with the participation of 17 European countries,Eutelsat,which has been dominating the whole Europe since then,was founded.Turkey is one of the members of this unique organization..

A theory once,satellites are indispensable parts of our life today ...
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by satmaniac(m): 7:08am On Jun 21, 2012
@obnelly,two thanks to you.
First I will like to thank you for the nilesat frequency and other tips from you.
And for letting some us knowing the history behind satellite technology,of which great numbers of people in the world, one way or the other benefit from.Thanks to the minds that concieves the theory,thanks to the hands that put it into action and thank you obnelly for letting us know.
@obnelly,with your contributions on this forum,you are also making history in satraland of nairaland,oh yes you are!just like you let us know,I have to let them know too.
obnelly: HISTORY of ARTIFICIAL SATELLITES

English author,Arthur C.Clarke,who stated in 1945 that the satellites could be used in communication,is regarded as the inventor of the telecommunications satellites today.In his writing he had also stated that the human being could benefit from the satellites as a means of communication once they were put into orbit.Subsequently another great contribution to this theory was made by an American scientist ,J.R Pierce Clarke. Also, Konstantin Tsiolkousy,
a Russian mathematician, had contributed a lot to this theory by finding out the necessary conditions enabling the rocket to get out of the earth’s gravitational area.

Robert H. Goldard,an American scientist,did the first scientific tests on satellites. The rockets failed to go further than he had intented.But he was the first scientist to use the main rocket fuel,a mixture of benzine and oxygen.The former Soviet Union has gone down in history,launching the first satellite SPUTNIK1.This time the first satellite with a living creature, SPUTNIK 2 was launced by the Russians on November ,10,1957.The U.S.A launched its first satellite called ”EXPLORER” four months after the Russians.But none of those three were telecommunications satellites.

In the end, the world’s first communications satellite, SCORE, was launced by the USA on December ,18,1958.

The era of Satellite communication,literally, started on July,10,1962,when TELSTAR1 was launched into orbit.The first tv broadcast , covering the Atlantic Region was made through TELSTAR 1..TELSTAR 1,launched by The American Telephone and Telegraph Company, was in the shape of a cylinder. Having failed to launch further than 10000 kms,then’s rockets were stationed into elliptic orbit,causing both the satellites to move too fast and the staff of the ground station to have difficulties in controling them.These problems needed being solved.The scientists ,finally, came to the conclusion that the best way to handle such problems was to launch the satellites into isochronal orbit...

On 19,August,1964,the USA overcame such problems by launching satellite ,SYNCOM3 into isochronical orbit.The first live tv program was transmitted by the satellite SYNCOM3. from 1964 Olympic games taking place in Japan.

Intelsat Contributing much to the history of telecommunications satellites,INTELSAT,with the participation of eleven countries, was founded in the capital Washington D.C in 1964.Today it is an organization of 143 countries including Turkey.

Eutelsat In 1977 another enormous innovation was made and with the participation of 17 European countries,Eutelsat,which has been dominating the whole Europe since then,was founded.Turkey is one of the members of this unique organization..

obnelly: HISTORY of ARTIFICIAL SATELLITES

Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Ball22: 7:21am On Jun 21, 2012
wajab99: All scan W3A for stv2 it is showing yesterdays match between france vrs sweden hope it is a sports channel.
i rescan but could not get the channel.@all pls someone should help to drop the tp
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Pidzo(m): 8:35am On Jun 21, 2012
SES-5 Launch Delayed By Issue In Steering System

Satellite operator SES is going to have to wait an extra day for the launch of its extremely important SES-5 craft. Originally scheduled for June 19/20 it has slipped 24 hours because of “technical problems” with the 58m high Proton/M launch rocket. The satellite is fine.
The launch will now take place on the ‘shortest’ night of the year, June 21st, at 12.24am Kazakhstan time. SES-5 is scheduled to be placed into an orbital slot at 5 degrees East.
SES-5 is a comprehensively-equipped satellite, carrying 24-C-band transponders, 36 Ku-band transponders, as well as an L-band payload for the European Space Agency.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by jamesmac1(m): 9:15am On Jun 21, 2012
Kungu:

It appears that the "BBC English TV" channel on Intelsat 10-02 is only a feed to carry the new Focus on Africa TV programme from 6.30-7.00 pm on weekdays. You may see BBC World News at other times but mostly they turn it off sad
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by Lunsat(m): 10:14am On Jun 21, 2012
@verwegsateliet, Try going to http://www.dishpointer.com/. Enter your location as Windhoek, Namibia. Then click on All Satellites. It should give you a list of all satellites that are above the horizon at your location together with their dish sizes. You then just get those satellites that have a disch size indicated even if it is 500meters big, get TPs from http://www.Lyngsat.com for them and start hunting. I once got a satellile list like this from this site but I failed today because of computer security on my present computer which disables some browser features. Here is an explanation from the dishpointer website help screen:

Which satellites can I receive?
This depends on your location, your dish size and the signal footprints of the satellites. From your location, it is theoretically possible to obtain satellites from an arc range of 160°, that is 80° West and 80° East. Towards the poles, it gets slightly less. But this doesn’t mean that all the satellites within this range broadcast their signals down to your location. Depending on the transponder on the satellite, the signal is beamed to various spots on earth creating the so-called footprints. The center of the footprint has the highest signal strength, the edges the lowest. That means if you happen to be in the center of the footprint, you can have a smaller dish size than if you live to nearer the edge, or the other way around: the further you live from the footprint center, the bigger the dish has to be. The footprint charts provided by the satellite operators are just a rough guide. It’s still possible to receive TV channels outside these displayed footprints – the so-called fringe reception. A good example for fringe reception is the Astra 2D which host popular TV channels such as BBC (BBC1, BBC2) and ITV from the UK (England). The footprint is quite focused on Britain but many expats living in Spain and France can receive these channels by having a large dish. The good thing is that DishPointer takes your location, dish size and signal footprints into account and tells you what satellites you can receive. After entering your address or zip code (postcode) you can click on the ‘Satellites’ tab underneath the map. All the available satellites within the 160° range are shown together with the transponders, footprints and the number of TV, Radio, Data and HD channels, plus the minimum dish size for that satellite beam at your location.

Maybe there ae other websites that can also do this. Others can help.
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by obnelly: 8:28pm On Jun 21, 2012
welldone lunsat that is lovely so explainatory
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by verwegsateliet(m): 9:18pm On Jun 21, 2012
Lunsat: @verwegsateliet, Try going to http://www.dishpointer.com/. Enter your location as Windhoek, Namibia. Then click on All Satellites. It should give you a list of all satellites that are above the horizon at your location together with their dish sizes. You then just get those satellites that have a disch size indicated even if it is 500meters big, get TPs from http://www.Lyngsat.com for them and start hunting. I once got a satellile list like this from this site but I failed today because of computer security on my present computer which disables some browser features. Here is an explanation from the dishpointer website help screen:

Which satellites can I receive?
This depends on your location, your dish size and the signal footprints of the satellites. From your location, it is theoretically possible to obtain satellites from an arc range of 160°, that is 80° West and 80° East. Towards the poles, it gets slightly less. But this doesn’t mean that all the satellites within this range broadcast their signals down to your location. Depending on the transponder on the satellite, the signal is beamed to various spots on earth creating the so-called footprints. The center of the footprint has the highest signal strength, the edges the lowest. That means if you happen to be in the center of the footprint, you can have a smaller dish size than if you live to nearer the edge, or the other way around: the further you live from the footprint center, the bigger the dish has to be. The footprint charts provided by the satellite operators are just a rough guide. It’s still possible to receive TV channels outside these displayed footprints – the so-called fringe reception. A good example for fringe reception is the Astra 2D which host popular TV channels such as BBC (BBC1, BBC2) and ITV from the UK (England). The footprint is quite focused on Britain but many expats living in Spain and France can receive these channels by having a large dish. The good thing is that DishPointer takes your location, dish size and signal footprints into account and tells you what satellites you can receive. After entering your address or zip code (postcode) you can click on the ‘Satellites’ tab underneath the map. All the available satellites within the 160° range are shown together with the transponders, footprints and the number of TV, Radio, Data and HD channels, plus the minimum dish size for that satellite beam at your location.

Maybe there ae other websites that can also do this. Others can help.
is there other site than lyngsat know that site but sometis outdated take's along time to update new transponders.
thx u mean just take here and there a transponder from a other footprint for example astra 2b the multitv transponder see if i can get lock or is there a rough guide that the experts can give which sats i can try for out footprint or must i start with a sat i receive like astra 4a and see how much better my signal and try to get extra transponders
which lnbs i can use the invacom good chose for my 3.8m and 3.2m indentical in the forum.
how much do u loose for example with chess single offset lnb on 1.8m huge difference or knot and is th cku better from infosat that the chess ofset as i believe i read it is not so good ku performance.
one more thing if u dont receive vertical transponder or transponder from eutelsat 7a execpt record mozam and mbc1 and 2 is my skew wrong for example must i turn it 90 degrees and use the other side right instead of left looking infront of it
thx struggeling know with dish pointer will try it know
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by cyrilex202(m): 10:02pm On Jun 21, 2012
all SCAN EUTELSAT W3C WITH FREQUENCY 10 804 FOR STV2
Re: Free To Air Satellite Tv General Thread by verwegsateliet(m): 10:32pm On Jun 21, 2012
verwegsateliet:
is there other site than lyngsat know that site but sometis outdated take's along time to update new transponders.
thx u mean just take here and there a transponder from a other footprint for example astra 2b the multitv transponder see if i can get lock or is there a rough guide that the experts can give which sats i can try for out footprint or must i start with a sat i receive like astra 4a and see how much better my signal and try to get extra transponders
which lnbs i can use the invacom good chose for my 3.8m and 3.2m indentical in the forum.
how much do u loose for example with chess single offset lnb on 1.8m huge difference or knot and is th cku better from infosat that the chess ofset as i believe i read it is not so good ku performance.
one more thing if u dont receive vertical transponder or transponder from eutelsat 7a execpt record mozam and mbc1 and 2 is my skew wrong for example must i turn it 90 degrees and use the other side right instead of left looking infront of it
thx struggeling know with dish pointer will try it know
cant seem to get the size i put in whck or tsumeb and press all sats what i am doing wrong

(1) (2) (3) ... (161) (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) ... (2355) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.