Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,830 members, 7,945,674 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 10:50 PM

Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery (10723 Views)

Evans Sentenced To 21 Years Imprisonment For Kidnapping / Ekiti Man Drugs His Girlfriend, Films Her Being Raped By Friends, Uploads Video / Father Bags 21 Years For Raping Late Daughter (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by DamnnNiggarr: 8:27pm On May 23, 2022
Ekiti: Man bags 21 years imprisonment for armed robbery

An Ado Ekiti High Court has sentenced a 32-year-old Adeosun Segun to 21 years imprisonment for an offence bordering on armed robbery.

The convict was arraigned on one count charge of Armed Robbery on 15th August, 2021 before Justice Bamidele Omotoso.

The charge reads: “That you, Adeosun Segun, on the 4th August, 2021 at Ado Ekiti within the jurisdiction of the court, did rob one Abdullai Ashimu of a sum of N10, 000.00, at the time of the robbery; you were armed with offensive weapon, to wit, knife.”

According to the charge, the offence contravenes Section 1 (2) of the Robbery and Firearms (Special Provision) Act Cap.R.II, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 2004.

In his testimony before the court, the victim said, “I am an Okada rider, around 10:30am on that day, I conveyed the convict from Ijigbo to Ajebamidele area of Ado Ekiti, with payment agreement of N200, when we got to a bush path, he stopped me and asked for a change of N800, because he wanted to give me N1,000, when I gave him the change, instead of giving me N1,000, he brought out a knife and threatened to kill me if I did not cooperate, he collected my N10,000 (meant for contribution), when he wanted to collect my motorcycle, I started shouting for help which attracted the passersby, he later released the motorcycle and ran away, he was chased by residents and was arrested around Omisanjana area of Ado Ekiti,” he concluded.

To prove his case, the state counsel, Folasade Alli, called one witness and tendered statements of the defendant and the victim as exhibits while the convict also spoke in his own defense through his counsel, Olayinka Opaleke, who pleaded to court to be lenient in its judgment, adding that, the defendant is a first offender who also has dependants.

In his judgment, Justice Bamidele Omotoso said, there is no evidence of previous criminal record of the defendant before the court, he did not benefit from the proceeds of the crime as the money stolen by him was removed from the crowd that arrested him and has since his arrest on 4/8/21, been in the custody of the Nigeria Correctional service. Taking all these into consideration, the court shall consider an option of fine for the defendant.

‘’Consequently, the defendant is hereby sentenced to imprisonment of twenty one years (21) with an option of fine of a sum of N25,000.00 only.’’

In the computation of the period of detention, the term of imprisonment shall begin to run from 4th of August, 2021.

https://dailypost.ng/2022/05/23/ekiti-man-bags-21-years-imprisonment-for-armed-robbery/

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by RedMac: 8:28pm On May 23, 2022
there is no justification for any crime... but wait o... is that not a fine of 25k am seeing, abi shey my eyes dey pain me ni

16 Likes

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by DamnnNiggarr: 8:28pm On May 23, 2022
shocked

Just because of ordinary ₦10k,

Weytin poverty no go cause doesn't exist.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by inoki247: 8:44pm On May 23, 2022
10k don take away this one freedom for the next 20years plus and na all diz type of robber dey always dey brutal ready to stab anything...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Parachoko: 8:48pm On May 23, 2022
I can't wait to see how long the former Accountant General will be jailed for.

Even though I feel he deserve to be killed

20 Likes

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Nobody: 8:49pm On May 23, 2022
Chai!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by puremaker7(m): 8:54pm On May 23, 2022
i'm so happy right now, he wasted his life because of mere 10k...
Think about it, this is the type that kills anyhow.
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by richmind2019(m): 9:04pm On May 23, 2022
21 years for armed robbery my God!! How many years is murder case?

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by GRACETOLIVE(f): 9:07pm On May 23, 2022
Let's wait and see how many years will be for AGF with N80b stolen.

7 Likes

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by StagethemTVee: 6:17am On May 24, 2022
Yet Buhari just granted 2 former Governors who stole billions pardon and freedom. How much will Accountant general bag? Bloody hypocrites in power. God bless Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by eyenogoquiet(m): 6:17am On May 24, 2022
Ekiti man don bluck up.
Am I seeing English that be like say them tellam say make him do 21 years or pay 25kkk
I am not understanding

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by seunlayi(m): 6:17am On May 24, 2022
We all die here
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Skillsnigeria: 6:21am On May 24, 2022
Hmmm
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Profmetoo: 6:21am On May 24, 2022
I would like to say the judgment was too harsh, but the hatred I have for thieves wouldn't allow me to. Anyways, he gets to leave anytime once he pays his fine. A second chance

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Godly247(m): 6:24am On May 24, 2022
wetin happen na!!! when one stole 80 billion nko
isokay!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unLapjfE3lQ
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Boolpo: 6:24am On May 24, 2022
That's too much na
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by gulfer: 6:25am On May 24, 2022
I want to say that with the number of convictions I have seen recently coming from Ekiti courts, the state appears to be getting things right gradually unlike other states that criminal cases are adjourned perpetually making plaintiffs lose interest in cases and rendering whatever judgement comes after so many years of adjournment as justice not served............ Quite a speedy trial and judgement, kudos to the judge and Ekiti judiciary arm cool cool cool cool cool

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Profmetoo: 6:26am On May 24, 2022
richmind2019:
Armed robbery and murder are both capital offenses. They usually attract sentences of 20years above without plea bargain. However, murderer could get life sentence or death sentence
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by jaido007: 6:26am On May 24, 2022
Just 25k? This will encourage them the more

2 Likes

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Aolfooties(m): 6:29am On May 24, 2022
RedMac:
there is no justification for any crime... but wait o... is that not a fine of 25k am seeing, abi shey my eyes dey pain me ni

I noticed too,
Might be a typo error.
Sho
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by MrBroke(m): 6:30am On May 24, 2022
He has an option, either he pays 25k or he is going to do time. grin

1 Like

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by IsellSmartTvs: 6:30am On May 24, 2022
I guess he couldn’t afford an attorney,21 years for a petty and bailable offense.
I think Nigeria also provides state attorney for the less privileged,abi him Dey stammer ni

1 Like

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Eriggs: 6:30am On May 24, 2022
Good one.
But I am waiting for how many years the thieving politicians will get also

1 Like

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by jrusky(m): 6:31am On May 24, 2022
Sorry you mean 10million or 10 thousand?
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by crackhouse(m): 6:32am On May 24, 2022
21yrs only?
Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by pol23: 6:34am On May 24, 2022
RedMac:
The option of fine no too bad.
1k for each year.. lol

1 Like

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by Mayflowa(m): 6:34am On May 24, 2022
richmind2019:

There is an option of fine for N25,000. If he can pay the fine, he won't go to jail. However, he is still labelled ex-convict!

3 Likes

Re: Ekiti: Man Bags 21 Years Imprisonment For Armed Robbery by WatchYourSix: 6:36am On May 24, 2022
richmind2019:

21 years is considered having mercy since nigerian law states that armed robbery is death penalty even if you robbed with a knife

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

After Dropped ₦‎20 Billion Trial, EFCC Again Tries To Indict Kogi / Fourteen Oil Workers Kidnapped In Rivers- The Vanguard / Suspected Okada Thief Set Ablaze In Nasarawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.