Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,781 members, 7,921,778 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 12:27 PM

Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! (6027 Views)

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Interviewed On ABN Digital / A Sample Of Sanusi New 200 Naira Note / Thanks To Sanusi: Foreign Banks Reject Letters Of Credit From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by espn(m): 9:04am On Jul 28, 2011
@nuclear boy, am really impressed with your write up and contributions, but my observation about you is that you are quiet biased with your judgment, your response does not correlate to the topic been discussed, all you do is talk, you aint pragmatic and go off point,
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by nuclearboy(m): 9:10am On Jul 28, 2011
^^ Bias??

I stood by Buhari openly and still do. So my politics is same as Sanusi's!

I stand by Non interest banking NO MATTER what name you call it. So my issue is not with NIB.

But I also know that leaders do not resort to garb or lies. And that was what OP said that I disagree with
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by Korrection(m): 9:18am On Jul 28, 2011
islamic banking, hmmmm, well i pray the lend me money fro my fish pond and pumkin farm
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by maasoap(m): 9:41am On Jul 28, 2011
This is a man that managed imminent banking crisis in Nigeria with no single bank collapsed and not a single depositor lost his/her saving when over 1000 banks collapsed in America. Islamic Bank is just a branch under Non-Interest Banking System with the injection of capital from the individuals and not from FG/CBN. Let's clap for Soludo and Sanusi.

Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by gidig(m): 9:53am On Jul 28, 2011
Just because of the way the CBN Governor handled this whole Islamic bank issue, it has raised unnecessary dust. I am a Christian and I do not have any issue with the establishment of banks as along as they do not interfere with conventional banks in Nigeria. And in any case, a banking product like this was offered by the now-merged Habib bank.  The problem is really with his initial insistence that Islamic Compliant banking shall be the only form of Non-interest banking in Nigeria, with a heavy dose of Sharia modality and personnel in place. What a more temperate person would have done was to leave a window open for anyone who wants to practice their own form of Non-Interest banking. He has a strong personality and quite intelligent. Such people will push anything they believe in through and go all the way_even if they are heading in the wrong direction!

Quite a few people don't even know how this operate. They imagine free money from this Islamic banks. I do not know the finer details but the way it works is more like an investment into whatever you need money for and the profit or loss is then shared. So< those of you who have been fantasizing about free money should please wake up.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by islamrules(m): 10:03am On Jul 28, 2011
Is islamic banking the solution to Nigeria's broken economy ? Islamic bank is just another way of banking.

I wonder why this sanusi guy is concentrating all his effort on this non-issue. There are real works that needs to be done like devaluation of naira and so on.

He is busy with his religion fanatic banking formula which will not contribute anything to our economy.

Islamic banking has been in operation in USA not less than 30years now. Is there any effect it has on AMerican economy ?

I read about one documentation of Islamic banking in United Arab Emirate, but one funny thing is logically, there is still some form of hidden interest and charges in it.

These people are just fooling us. If there is no interest, how will they pay their staff, get a bank house e.t.c.

They just want to prove to us that Islam is powerful than Christianity in Nigeria. They can do anything they want. Bravo
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by deema(f): 10:12am On Jul 28, 2011
This guy is more Christianic than Islamic!
From all he outlined, he is a VERY pragmatic, neutral, and forthright than any CBN Gov b4 him.

i dont get wats christianic
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by gists: 10:13am On Jul 28, 2011
gidig:

Just because of the way the CBN Governor handled this whole Islamic bank issue, it has raised unnecessary dust. I am a Christian and I do not have any issue with the establishment of banks as along as they do not interfere with conventional banks in Nigeria. And in any case, a banking product like this was offered by the now-merged Habib bank.  The problem is really with his initial insistence that Islamic Compliant banking shall be the only form of Non-interest banking in Nigeria, with a heavy dose of Sharia modality and personnel in place. What a more temperate person would have done was to leave a window open for anyone who wants to practice their own form of Non-Interest banking. He has a strong personality and quite intelligent. Such people will push anything they believe in through and go all the way_even if they are heading in the wrong direction!

Quite a few people don't even know how this operate. They imagine free money from this Islamic banks. I do not know the finer details but the way it works is more like an investment into whatever you need money for and the profit or loss is then shared. So< those of you who have been fantasizing about free money should please wake up.

Your post reminds me of a program ("The Dragons" or something like that) on AIT some months back where enterprenurs come and make their biz proposals to a panel of investors (Momoh the owner of Channels TV was a member of the panel). Then they ask a series of questions, and if you are able to answer convincingly, they invest their personal money after an agreement is reached on a profit sharing formular. If they are not convinced, they give you advice on what you could do and tell you sorry they can't invest because of x y z. It was very mature and my favourite programme at that time. That's the kind of reality shows that should dominate our air waves as opposed to the multina dance-all and the big brothers of this world. I believe this whole NIB thing is going to be very similar to that concept. Ofcourse no free lunch, not even in free town.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by kpolli(m): 10:16am On Jul 28, 2011
Another Nigerian has fallen for a politicians sweet mouth. . . Sis u need to wake up. . . . they r all same of the same
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by stildude(m): 10:19am On Jul 28, 2011
enyojo:

This guy is more Christianic than Islamic!
From all he outlined, he is a VERY pragmatic, neutral, and forthright than any CBN Gov b4 him.

Sometimes the devil can disguise as an angel of light! Read the Bible my friend. Read!
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by cold(m): 10:21am On Jul 28, 2011
There is absolutely no way that SLS would have come out to make that Anambra claim without having the proof to back it up so I think Anambra is only vehemently denying this to save face
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by kbdrim(m): 10:24am On Jul 28, 2011
If SLS was a graduate of Havard, oxford or one of these Ivy league uni's. most southerners would not feel comfortable debating him on policies. Infact there would worship him like they do the Ngozi iweala's and aganga's. What we dont realise is that IVY league education, IMF or world Bank experience without Guts or courage amounts to nothing in Nigeria.
They make it sound like being an orator is now a bad thing. If he wasnt well spoken, he would have been branded an thorogh aboki. Now that he does speak well, he's been compared to Hitler, Una no go tire, Instead of us to ask the likes of adeboye, oyedebo and oritsejafor(that politician priest) to sell their jets and start non interest banking, we want to stop others from starting what will help their followers.
SLS is not cowed by unnecessary arguements on nairaland and other internet based ''intellectual sites'' and he knows that arguements on the internet is like competing in the special or paraolympics. even if you win you are still a disabled
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by cold(m): 10:29am On Jul 28, 2011
^^And I dare say SLS has done more for the economy of this country than Iweala & Aganga put together
What I also fail to understand is why is everyone up in arms against Sanusi & not Soludo who initiated the process?I also have my gripe with Islamic banking but the fact that it was Soludo that began the whole process isn't lost on me
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by yaarspot: 10:57am On Jul 28, 2011
Problem with Nigerians is that dem think dey oversabi, whereas they know little, Sanusi is good for Naija.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by emmatok(m): 11:00am On Jul 28, 2011
cold:

^^And I dare say SLS has done more for the economy of this country than Iweala & Aganga put together
What I also fail to understand is why is everyone up in arms against Sanusi & not Soludo who initiated the process?I also have my gripe with Islamic banking but the fact that it was Soludo that began the whole process isn't lost on me

Please tell me one thing Sanusi has done to the economy since he became CBN  governor.

Instead he crippled the economy by restricting funding for the private sector.

I remember Soludo also came up with Naira denomination policy which is working in Ghana, it was opposed and all is history today.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by member479760: 11:01am On Jul 28, 2011
this is serious, so the Ibo prof na OLODO with all the international whatever.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by islamrules(m): 11:02am On Jul 28, 2011
@cold,
You are right! It is actually a good thing. But the way they carry this issue, even an atheist will suspect these muslims are up to something.
It is a good form of bank. It wont affect/harm anyone. But the way it is being linked to Sharia.

According to the "principle of Islamic Banking" i read yesterday, there must be a sharia council, governing the bank. So who are these sharia council ? Are we still not going back to our Boko Haram sharia issue ?

I suspect sanusi is aliance with BH.

After approving the bank, they will now be fighting for sharia and the bank can not stand in isolation of sharia. There is a motive to it.

ANd by the way, we did a background check on Sanusi, he is a an islamic scholar, a fanatics, more of a jihadist.

Nigerians should learn how to investigate. We know his family in the north, for more contact me.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by cold(m): 11:08am On Jul 28, 2011
emmatok:

Please tell me one thing Sanusi has done to the economy since he became CBN  governor.

Instead he crippled the economy by restricting funding for the private sector.

I remember Soludo also came up with Naira denomination policy which is working in Ghana, it was opposed and all is history today.
Remember all those cooked up figures by some high flying banks?Remember how those bank CEOs were using your money to buy up entire streets in Dubai and Manhattan? Remember those cooked up stock figures that made you think your shares were worth more than they really were?If not for SLS do you know how many people would have lost their funds in those banks?
Now tell me Aganga's achievement since he took office with the Federal Government in spite of all his high flying credentials
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by Reptyle(m): 11:21am On Jul 28, 2011
odedele:

CBN governors reserve their comments until the odd once in a year or so when they must speak on monetary policy. I cannot imagine Ben Bernanke or Alan Greenspan in his days at the Fed volunteering a comment on matters such as Afghanistan or the appropriateness of Sarah Palin’s dressing or in fact whether Obama should worry about all of America’s problems simultaneously or selectively. But Sanusi, recall, set out by challenging Yar’dua’s 7 point agenda. Ordinarily, his elevated office ought to define a higher level of candour and circumspection in matters of public commentary than he is currently displaying. And that is a pity.

For instance, Sanusi is reported to have said that the weak banks in the system have until September to recapitalize or be liquidated. No one in their right mind will continue to leave their deposits in these banks after that comment as September approaches. Yet these banks are supposed to raise additional capital! There was also an open expression that if foreign buyers cannot be found for these weak banks, they may be nationalized! It is difficult to reconcile between Sanusi’s avowed nationalistic fervor and his initial willingness to auction off the weak banks first to foreign interests. And for the leader of a CBN in a country that subscribes to free market rules to threaten nationalization of so many banks even as a fall back position speaks volumes
The toga of central bank governor is no license for anyone to further destabilize the economy or inject mischief into a polity that is already riven by unnecessary sectarian and regional contradictions. Intemperate utterances and that kind of verbal incontinence and recklessness that should at best be found in beer parlours should have no place in the vocabulary of a central bank governor. But if Sanusi insists on his present talkaholic style, he should resign his job and join the political fray. There he will be free to canvass his views, test his ideas and market his obsessions. More critically, his insistence that his interest-free banking proposition is Islamic banking is heating up the polity. If this matter gets out of hand, Mr. Sanusi must be ready to bear personal responsibility for any untoward outcomes.
For quite some time, the impression has grown that the presidency allowed the CBN to dictate both fiscal and monetary policies. And the principal purveyor of both has been the rather autocratic CBN governor himself. Since the President is yet to articulate his own economic agenda, the impression that has gained ground is that Sanusi is speaking and acting for Jonathan or derives his confidence from a perception of the President’s relative indecisiveness on economic matters. If Jonthan does not rein in Sanusi now, he risks being seen as culpable in the imminent meltdown of the Nigerian economy

Please always credit your sources especially when you copy word for word. Its plagiarism if you don't:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/dead-end-of-taliban-banking/95687/
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by kbdrim(m): 11:37am On Jul 28, 2011
Reptyle:

Please always credit your sources especially when you copy word for word. Its plagiarism if you don't:

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/dead-end-of-taliban-banking/95687/

Thank You bro, typical nairaland intellectuals, Picking up other people's idea and expressing them as theirs. Plagiarism is criminal and u can be jailed for it.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by maclatunji: 11:42am On Jul 28, 2011
Korrection:

islamic banking, hmmmm, well i pray the lend me money fro my fish pond and pumkin farm

Get a solid business plan in place and apply for a loan and you should get it! Last time I checked StanbicIBTC is not owned by Muslims but now has a license to operate Islamic banking. You see there is no basis for argument here except that we live in a topsy-turvy place were virtually everything is upsy-daisy and people partake in the "feast of fools".
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by isquar3d3(m): 11:55am On Jul 28, 2011
I have not ceased to be amazed with the fervor and orgasmic zeal with which SLS has spent defending this non interest banking scheme. Personally, i have no problems with floating this bank but, my main issue with it remains this:
How does allowing the formation of NIS boost our economy right now?
Are the benefits so numerous to warrant this dust it's blown up?
If Soludo conceived this idea and implemented it during his tenure, would our economy be somewhat better than it is now?
Besides, highlighting its success in parts of Europe, does that guarantee its success in a politically, economically and religiously volatile state like Nigeria?
If SLS jettisons this idea until the next administration(which hopefully should be more stable), will Nigeria lose anything?
Having said all these, and with the current state of the north and the opposition it's getting, wouldn't it be better if the idea is allowed to lay low for a while? Just my humble opinion.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by silkysam: 12:16pm On Jul 28, 2011
Am not against any policy that will move Nigeria to the next level but with the present state of what is happening in the country this not the right time for Islamic banking, and it should come with another name if what Sanusi is saying is for the good of the nation and he has the country at heart, the so called Islamic banking should come in another name, it will only be same content but different bottle with that he will still be able to achieve his aim.
The devil has given so many people destructive wisdom and when they speak people will fall in love with their policy but on the long run it will cause more harm than good.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by chidexy(m): 12:41pm On Jul 28, 2011
Find attached the CBN guidelines on Islamic Banking.

Islamic Banking while a form of non-interest banking, is being promoted by Sanusi and Co. as a stand-alone form of banking. While in principle it's a line of banking product being offered in so many countries, its promoters in Nigeria are rather not addressing the fears of those who are against/opposed to it.

Of interest in the guidelines are sections 4.1 and 4.3. Section 4.1 makes it mandatory that the operators must have a technical agreement with a reputable islamic financial institution (read: uncensored funds coming from mostly middle east into the country). In section 4.3, most operators will apply for a regional license to operate in the North (as a possible instrument of development of the economy of the northern zones).

Sections 6 and 11 handle the issue of Profit (read: Interest). It's erroneously assumed that both profit and loss are shared in Islamic banking. Far from the truth: only the profits are shared while losses are singularly borne by whoever takes out the loan (see section 11.2)

I hope the propagators of this form of banking get their acts together, address the concerns of those who are opposed to it before carrying on

Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by emmatok(m): 12:56pm On Jul 28, 2011
chidexy:

Islamic Banking while a form of non-interest banking, is being promoted by Sanusi and Co. as a stand-alone form of banking. While in principle it's a line of banking product being offered in so many countries, its promoters in Nigeria are rather not addressing the fears of those who are against/opposed to it.

Of interest in the guidelines are 4[b]sections 4.1 and 4.3. Section 4.1 makes it mandatory that the operators must have a technical agreement with a reputable islamic financial institution (read: uncensored funds coming from mostly middle east into the country). In section [/b].3, most operators will apply for a regional license to operate in the North (as a possible instrument of development of the economy of the northern zones).

Sections 6 and 11 handle the issue of Profit (read: Interest). It's erroneously assumed that both profit and loss are shared in Islamic banking. Far from the truth: only the profits are shared while losses are singularly borne by whoever takes out the loan (see section 11.2)

I hope the propagators of this form of banking get their acts together, address the concerns of those who are opposed to it before carrying on
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by maclatunji: 1:08pm On Jul 28, 2011
chidexy:

Of interest in the guidelines are sections 4.1 and 4.3. Section 4.1 makes it mandatory that the operators must have a technical agreement with a reputable islamic financial institution (read: uncensored funds coming from mostly middle east into the country). This is the number one reason for the CBN to regulate Islamic banking. Those funds can always enter Nigeria through the back door. In section 4.3, most operators will apply for a regional license to operate in the North (as a possible instrument of development of the economy of the northern zones). It all adds up to our GDP at worst and at best it provides more capital for the country to develop.

Sections 6 and 11 handle the issue of Profit (read: Interest). It's erroneously assumed that both profit and loss are shared in Islamic banking. Far from the truth: only the profits are shared while losses are singularly borne by whoever takes out the loan (see section 11.2) WHAT WERE YOU EXPECTING? IT IS A BUSINESS NOT CHARITY. However, the person taking the loan will not have to pay interest if he does not make a profit. 

In the popular banking model, whether you make profit or loss, the bank still charges interest and it is compounded not just simple interest. Do you know how many people have committed suicide or died of hypertension because of this?

I hope the propagators of this form of banking get their acts together, address the concerns of those who are opposed to it before carrying on.

I have fears about the establishment of Microfinance banks, that does not mean I should start disturbing those that want to invest in the business or use their services under the new CBN regulations released for them. Everybody has fears, deal with them, but don't expect other people to put their lives on hold because of that.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by otokx(m): 2:04pm On Jul 28, 2011
The problem with Nigeria is in failing to do simple things. Islamic or non interest back is a non issue and even if it starts will ultimately fail with catastrophic dimensions. Just like such things as community banking, rural telephony and the rest have failed. How many of you remember the micro-finance banks? SLS is a master at smooth talking but his underlying actions always give him away.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by maclatunji: 2:09pm On Jul 28, 2011
^^^ You folks are incurable, I mention Microfinance banks and pronto you are trying to use them to justify why Islamic banks should not be allowed to open. Sorry lot you are!
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by Sike(m): 3:16pm On Jul 28, 2011
The deed has already been done. What else are we talking about?
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by Gbenge77(m): 3:25pm On Jul 28, 2011
We dont need Islamic banking at this time.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by mathskill: 3:43pm On Jul 28, 2011
Gbenge 77:

We dont need Islamic banking at this time.
What we need is IMF and WOLRD bank loans with their interest abi.
Re: Listening To Sanusi, I Am Proud To Be A Nigerian! by Drzak(m): 4:16pm On Jul 28, 2011
@ okada , Odedele nd co, Its nt because u all a voice in a faceless forum that gave u d impetus to critize the generally acceptable opinion of the CBN governor, that is the problem with this cntry when vital issues of national prosperity is being brought up some folks who think they know everything wil start against it, , the World Bank MD who resign to serve her fatherland attested NIB without being sentimental or tribalistic about it, and many other good people, I know you re just jealous because the idea is from Islam.,bt i tel u just have to accept the gud thing no matter the source cos i know sooner u wil hav no option than accepting it.,because the idea is from Islam.,bt i tel u just have to accept the gud thing no matter the source cos i know sooner u wil hav no option than accepting it.,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Confirm Registeration With CAC / What Does WTAX.PD Mean In Fidelity Bank Alert / Us-africa Summit: US Firms To Invest $14bn In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.