Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,824 members, 7,902,631 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 July 2024 at 01:30 PM

Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? (19335 Views)

London Court Jails Nigerian Three Years For Flogging Son / Ogidi Youths Flog Man After He Was Filmed Flogging, Boxing, And Kicking His Mom / Adekunle Okunuga Suspended As A Doctor In 2015 For Flogging Son In UK Reinstated (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 18, 2022
IyaTola:

It's important to not spank, hit, or slap a child of any age. Babies and toddlers are especially unlikely to be able to make any connection between their behavior and physical punishment. They will only feel the pain of the hit. And don't forget that kids learn by watching adults, particularly their parents.

In fact, research shows in Nigeria that hitting kids can increase their risk of aggression, antisocial behavior and mental health problems later on. Spanking is also counterproductive when it comes to bonding with your toddler.

Story.

I saw the one they pampered abroad how he was behaving like a mumu man. Just because the mother upset him, he turned all her cereals on the floor. Broke all her kitchen utensils and the mother could not do anything. A Naija pikin wey receive brain resetting beating will never do that to the Mom. Who born monkey?

Another toddler (white) trending online told the Mom " fuc.k you bitch".

The pampered ones are usually the most aggressive and spoilt.

Leave grammar abeg.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by beejay85: 9:35pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:
Hello nairaland family

Before I begin let's define toddlerhood;

Toddler: 1-3 years. Preschooler: 3-5 years. School-aged: 5-12 years. Teenager: 13-18 years.

Is it necessary to start flogging toddlers?? I married a yoruba man And I noticed his sisters like flogging their kids including their toddlers. I'm not used to seeing little children being flogged not to talk of toddlers and I get this cringe feeling when I see it. Is it a cultural thing? Is that how the whole tribe Is like? Does flogging a child actually make him or her better Or is it not just child abuse
I do feel somehow seeing people flogging 2yr old, 3yr old kids. I feel somehow. What do you guys think
You are married to a Yoruba man...Great!!!
Some of the attributes he has that endeared you him were shaped by the early discipline he got..
Dont get me wrong...i detest abuse of children and openly confront parents when i see one- even when am not related with them in any ways.
Occassional slap on the wrist does magic to keep toddlers in check...
But you allow them to grow without d time to time check n balance...
Its become harder,now they are at the mercy of their teachers in school.
And we still scream hard when d teacher does d discipline grin
So its better done by u in a mild and loving way...if not , d society will do it for u and u wont like it grin

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by franchasofficia: 9:37pm On Sep 18, 2022
Draslo:
The flogging of a thing is a culture forced on us by years of slavery. You will find it all over Africa but nowhere else.

Not like Oyinbo no dey spank kids o but we go dey flog pikin like theif till he/she is 17 sef.

Growing up, dem flog me die from house and school. It only made me more rugged because I'm not a cow.
cheesy grin
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by drakeli: 9:38pm On Sep 18, 2022
flemsy15:
For me 'cane' hasn't yielded better results than 'words' used by the whites. All the areas we were flogged growing up , the whites tend to be doing much better. Areas like punctuality, hygiene, sincerity, not-stealing, Truthfulness, avoiding unnecessary noise making, avoiding unnecessary begging, orderliness, etc... the whites are performing better than us. Beating makes us see virtues as punishments
No wonder white children keep killing their parents over any disagreement as little as taking their phone away in record number.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Thazard(m): 9:38pm On Sep 18, 2022
jefe03:
We're now getting softer, day by day
cheesycheesycheesycheesy
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Nobody: 9:40pm On Sep 18, 2022
My 3 yrs old seize cane from my hand come use am dey flog me. Be like the cane no even dey affect am or make am fear
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by OlujobaSamuel: 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2022
Mine use to get flogged, mostly by his mum, but it's with a finger or two, so whenever he goes wrong, he will stretch out his hands for his mum to spank his hand twice.
Most of the time, he knows he is wrong, so won't cry, but if he is not willing to stop what he is doing probably because he never sees it as being wrong, he will cry after the spanking.
Flogging with cane/whip, me no know about that one oo

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by anonymuz(m): 9:41pm On Sep 18, 2022
atheistandproud:
I'm a strong advocate of corporal punishment but never for toddlers. Only a sadistic person would do that.

A sharp word or a good spank on the bottom should suffice.
nice comment.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Theunbothered: 9:45pm On Sep 18, 2022
boxer022:

She told you the truth and it is a well known fact. By the time they remember that mummy or daddy will cane them, they will desist from doing anything that might cause it.

That's why Nigerians are the best behaved worldwide undecided

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by clems88(m): 9:45pm On Sep 18, 2022
Children are so stubborn this days. My 1 year son will do wrong and when he does it he knows , he starts looking at you. When you beat him he goes back to it so he will see what you will do again . grin
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Theunbothered: 9:46pm On Sep 18, 2022
Natbrowny:
Mtchewww. If dem no flog u. U think say u for get sense

If jaden smith collect slap. U think say e for no get sense. But d parent no fit lite am better slap. See aw e dey go now

In Africa, U misbehave. U chop slap.

That's why Africa is so well developed and happy. Because we slap people anytime they offend us.

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by incogni2o: 9:46pm On Sep 18, 2022
mariahAngel:
There's no injustice worse than beating a child.
Whoever hurts a child will suffer the consequence(s).
There are other ways to discipline a child than torture.

I just beat my child this evening.

Tell me other ways to discipline her, She is 3 years old plus.

Mind you, I have corrected her severally on same reason.

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Joezik(m): 9:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
boxer022:

She told you the truth and it is a well known fact. By the time they remember that mummy or daddy will cane them, they will desist from doing anything that might cause it.

Most don't remember at that age
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by tolulope967: 9:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
We're now getting softer, day by dayWe're now getting softer, day by day...
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by incogni2o: 9:49pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ficient:
My 3 yrs old seize cane from my hand come use am dey flog me. Be like the cane no even dey affect am or make am fear

Be careful Bro.

This is not a time to joke about this.

Future happiness is important.

Discipline a child firmly and also Love Dearly.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by incogni2o: 9:51pm On Sep 18, 2022
atheistandproud:
I'm a strong advocate of corporal punishment but never for toddlers. Only a sadistic person would do that.

A sharp word or a good spank on the bottom should suffice.

You are used to making wrong conclusions without getting the facts straight.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by seanwilliam(m): 9:53pm On Sep 18, 2022
As for me, if my pikin do wrong, he go hear am. I no sabi shout. I go panel beat am. When I was young, I went out to play with my friends one Saturday morning and I went back home around 8pm when my mom had been looking for me. I received the beating of my life that day, funnily enough my dad was in support of my mom. I cried that night and I decided not to eat . My brother came back from work and I was like make I go meet am, say I go find solace with him. He gave me a dirty backend . Dem forced me to eat that night and as mucus was dripping from my nose. This was many many years ago

Up to my higher institution, I have never slept outside before ( except for final year group reading . Just a day ), in-fact till now , anywhere I go , if 4pm don knack , no matter how important the occasion is, I’ll feel like going home even if I don’t have anything to do at home.

Even if I lodge for hotel , I won’t still feel comfortable until I get back to my abode .

This is as a result of the beating I received that very day .

2 Likes

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Theunbothered: 9:55pm On Sep 18, 2022
IyaTola:

It's important to not spank, hit, or slap a child of any age. Babies and toddlers are especially unlikely to be able to make any connection between their behavior and physical punishment. They will only feel the pain of the hit. And don't forget that kids learn by watching adults, particularly their parents.

In fact, research shows in Nigeria that hitting kids can increase their risk of aggression, antisocial behavior and mental health problems later on. Spanking is also counterproductive when it comes to bonding with your toddler.

Don't bother trying to reason with Nigerians, most are too dumb and emotional to understand anything like research.

They will just plug their ears while repeating Bible verses.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Majesty33(m): 9:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
With technology and the way this world is now, every toddler needs to be disciplined cos little children misbehave on purpose. I have seen a toddler that stays with his grandparents and as little as he is, he walks out on them when he is angry and bangs the door. Although, the grand parents overlook such, but his mum got mad at him and spank his ass. Hmmm, as for me and my wife to be, I will spank my toddler when I start having kids. Also, a black child will always be a black child. Go to the western world, u see that most of them commits all sort of crime. Spare the rod and spoil the child.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by owoshuyi(m): 9:56pm On Sep 18, 2022
It's biblical: SPARE THE ROD, AND SPOIL THE CHILD.

But then again apply caution and wisdom cause bible also says: WISDOM IS PROFITABLE TO DIRECT
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by fxexperts: 10:00pm On Sep 18, 2022
NoToPile:
What I don't understand is why you made it a tribal thing, let's hope it doesn't get to FP, the ethnic warriors will so derail your thread ehn.

As for the topic, I don't support flogging under 3 year olds, correcting yeah,discipline when they misbehave yeah but not flogging with cane or any other thing.

Thats the time you instruct, do this, don't don't don't do that.
You can't instruct 3year old on what to do. i doubt if you have a child yet, because I do. and I know everything about their behavior going forward. I have a lot of decorations in my house, broke able ceramic artifacts in my living room. when I got married newly every guest and family who visited when my wife was pregnant admired our decorations and they all made similar comment that when our baby start crawling at least we should pack up all the decorations and hide them all away that they will definitely break every single one of them. i believed but trust me my first child is over 6 now and not a single of those decoration was destroyed by any of them, how did we do it. by correction a little spanking each time they try to reach out to destroy anything, we didn't move any of those decorations and they learned from it. Yes i flog my 3 year old child but lightly and with love. I and my wife have an agreement never ever to flog any of them when we are just angry and emotional and we should always let them know the reason for the flogging i.e what they did wrong. Flogging is important for every child. but not heavy flogging. Or are you talking about my second child who if i spank her one she who give you two in return, or my first when he was about 2 years old and you give that angry first he will be the first rush you and start hitting you shouting and crying loud at the same time, i guess you will not correct those behaviors. as for me i corrected them and now no child of mine will dare act stubborn when i try to correct you.

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Shegz4god(m): 10:00pm On Sep 18, 2022
That's why most children turn out to be useful and corrupt
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by GboyegaD(m): 10:01pm On Sep 18, 2022
boxer022:

How had the unnecessary flogging been helpful to the average Nigerian youth.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by atheistandproud(m): 10:02pm On Sep 18, 2022
incogni2o:

You are used to making wrong conclusions without getting the facts straight.

Oga face your front.

When you give birth, carry cane and give your toddler twelve strokes because you no get sense.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Elsueno: 10:05pm On Sep 18, 2022
grin

Abeg rest, U can't love a child more than his mother or father, there is a way they do the flogging, it looks scary but well controlled so as not to hurt d child but put correct his/her attitude & put them on d right track....dis is especially necessary 4 d first born as d subsequent siblings would mostly try to copy him/her
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by GboyegaD(m): 10:07pm On Sep 18, 2022
Ginaz:
omo... na so pikin say dey spoil all in the same of being woke.

give them the appropriate treatments when they are misbehaving.

Even for a child that can't distinguish between left and right? It is well.
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Lamasta(m): 10:12pm On Sep 18, 2022
Some toddlers are demon possessed which makes them act weird a times, such toddlers needs brain resetting slaps or spanks to drive out the evil spirit making them act weird atimes

1 Like

Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by Lamasta(m): 10:13pm On Sep 18, 2022
GboyegaD:

Even for a child that can't distinguish between left and right? It is well.

Train up a child the way they should go and when they grow they will never depart from it...

There will only be issue when abuse sets in...
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by eddyvin(m): 10:15pm On Sep 18, 2022
Translation not completed, where is new world translation?

New International Version
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

New Living Translation
Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children. Those who love their children care enough to discipline them.

English Standard Version
Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him.

Berean Standard Bible
He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

King James Bible
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

New King James Version
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him promptly.

New American Standard Bible
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1995
He who withholds his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

NASB 1977
He who spares his rod hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Amplified Bible
He who withholds the rod [of discipline] hates his son, But he who loves him disciplines and trains him diligently and appropriately [with wisdom and love].

Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
The one who will not use the rod hates his son, but the one who loves him disciplines him diligently.

American Standard Version
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
Everyone that spares concerning his rod, hates his son, and he that loves his son disciplines him earnestly.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
He that spares the rod hates his son: but he that loves, carefully chastens him.

Contemporary English Version
If you love your children, you will correct them; if you don't love them, you won't correct them.

Douay-Rheims Bible
He that spareth the rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him correcteth him betimes.

Good News Translation
If you don't punish your children, you don't love them. If you do love them, you will correct them.

International Standard Version
Whoever does not discipline his son hates him, but whoever loves him is diligent to correct him.

JPS Tanakh 1917
He that spareth his rod hateth his son; But he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

Literal Standard Version
Whoever is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoever is loving him has hurried his discipline.

New American Bible
Whoever spares the rod hates the child, but whoever loves will apply discipline.

NET Bible
The one who spares his rod hates his child, but the one who loves his child is diligent in disciplining him.

New Revised Standard Version
Those who spare the rod hate their children, but those who love them are diligent to discipline them.

New Heart English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

World English Bible
One who spares the rod hates his son, but one who loves him is careful to discipline him.

Young's Literal Translation
Whoso is sparing his rod is hating his son, And whoso is loving him hath hastened him chastisement.[/quote]
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by unscripted(m): 10:17pm On Sep 18, 2022
Prism:

This is exactly what my sis in law told me.
Hmmm. This matter has really got me thinking
my dear ,, your child must identify consequence for actions from the age of 2 ..
Before it gets to late .. he must understand order and respect ... but in all you discipline with love .. let him know why he is being spanked for clarity of instruction .. it is not wrong to spank a toddler..
Re: Flogging Toddlers- Is It Really Necessary? by abbey621(m): 10:25pm On Sep 18, 2022
Every adult human is a work in progress not to talk of kids. A child from 1-4 cannot be held responsible for anything, their brain is still learning and processing how to live in this world and any shortcoming should be seen as a teachable moment rather than a punishable one. Now from 5-9, this is where you start to introduce actions and reactions, by this age they should be able to know the concept of right and wrong, they should be able to understand the consequences or rewards for certain action or inaction.

At age 5-9, this is where some parents either enforce too much discipline or not enough, this crucial stage will determine how much problem or enjoyment you as a parent can expect when they get to 10 and the teenage years. Finding the right balance between discipline and counseling is the true work of all parents. Finally, let's be clear here, as a parent you can only do your best, forget what right or wrong way of parenting, what matters is when you look at your child and you can confidently say you've done your best to guide them on proper ethics and morals, the rest na God go do am.....I COME IN PEACE!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Is There A Happy Polygamous Home? / Lady Accused Of Stealing Mother's Day Writeup (Photos) / Pastor Joel Obazee & Wife Welcome A Baby After 13 Years Of Waiting (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.