Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,156 members, 7,884,013 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 09:26 PM

80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test (15452 Views)

A Nairalander Bagged First Class And Best Student Award In Oau Convocation / First Class And 2'1 Graduates: Come And Inspire Others / Third Class And 2.2 In Our Federal Universities. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by pcp: 5:35pm On Aug 16, 2011
Http://healthmad.com/women/gonorrhea-in-men-and-women-causes-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention/
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by lummy2enny: 5:45pm On Aug 16, 2011
Dear all, do u all believed dis. its a typical lie, dough was nt part of d exam. Do u know weda d exam was conducted like Intercontinental exam of 2006 where police had to tear-gas people first b4 d exam was conducted, hw do u expect someone to pass in that condition? Or was it not the same NNPC that i know dat recruit base on demerit or who u kno, e.g i av a colleague dat is expectin her letter very soon from NNPC. she av 2.2 n was called for dier exam. when she wrote the 1 exam, she told me she did nt think she will pass n she was called for the 2 exam and later called for interview. Do u think its trough her effort. for ur information she has a SENATOR that has two slot. all d senators has slot and if u know any senator who is ready to help u, u will get d job weda u get 1 class, 2.1,2.2,2.3 or 2.4, pass, fail or failllllllll.  Again passin an exam depend on ur state of mind at a particular tym, when u fail does not mean u are not gud especially exam dat is full of stress and tension. For example immediately i came 4rm my NYSC i was told that i fail almost all exam i sat 4 within my 4 month of lukin 4 job despite all my preparation and Gmat, but immediately i got my first job i av neva fail any tex again and i refused to open Gmat again after my first job,
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by niviso: 5:49pm On Aug 16, 2011
While in the secondary school way back in 1989 to 1991, I personally practicalized Physics principles and got results, I won awards and was respected by my Indian physics teacher. In the University I graduated in 2000 with very high 2.1 grades narrowly missing a first class. My brothers and sisters, I practically wept after that test by NNPC. It was just O'Level Physics, It downed on me that as a human my brain is just imperfect, it forgot even very simple sound wave and light formulas.
But come to think of it, how will I remember when I have spent the past 12 years living in pains and agony inflicted by the same system that is blaming me. With children and a wife to care for? Now will they ask me why I got married in the first place? Then they will be depriving me of the joy of fatherhood in a failed world. A world where equal opportunities does not exist.
I can stand my own any where? They shouds have used real apptitude test questions, not even the GMAT's of this world, becos that too can be memorised by good cramers. I can practically do any interllectual job and fit in any where.
The organizers of that test were not fair at all. I wrote mine under darkness. Sorry for those of us who still believe in the system.
Sorry! Sorry!! Sorry!!!
Somebody I know committed suicide some weeks back for the this failed world. Sorry for the world and all the hypocrisy and deceit. Sorry
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by MMM2(m): 5:57pm On Aug 16, 2011
what angry
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Parrott: 6:02pm On Aug 16, 2011
I am one of those who believe that the majority of Nigerian Certificates (Diplomas, Bachelors, Masters and PhDs), these days, aren't worth the paper they are printed on. That said, things must be put into perspectives. First Class and 2.1 candidates in what subjects failed which type of test? This would not necessarily raise an alarm bell for me. Why? If, for example, First Class and 2.1. materials in core liberal arts (e.g. Drama, Music, Linguistics and Languages, Religious Studies, Philosophy, etc, etc.) for whatever reasons chose to sit the NNPC exams, these may not necessarily do well in, for example, quantitative reasoning which measures problem-solving ability, focusing on basic concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and data analysis. Why not? Their academic backgrounds wouldn't have (adequately) prepared them for this sort of reasoning. Would Wole Soyinka, Chinua Achebe and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, to mention a few, do well in quantitative reasoning? May be not. Is this symptomatic of their intelligence capability? Definitely not. It's simply not their kettle of fish!  However, those in liberal arts should, I'll imagine, excel not only in verbal reasoning which measures the ability to analyze and evaluate written material and synthesize information obtained from it, analyze relationships among component parts of sentences and recognize relationships among words and concepts, but also in analytic reasoning which measures critical thinking and analytic writing skills, specifically the ability to articulate and support complex ideas clearly and effectively.

Conversely, however, whilst science graduates might excel in quantitative reasoning, they may not necessarily do well in verbal reasoning and analytic reasoning. Now, the issue is this. Passing these tests stands or falls with the manner in which these three components of most aptitude tests are aggregated to determine who passes or fails. Whilst university education, broadly, should help graduates to cope with quantitative reasoning, verbal reasoning and analytic reasoning, the emphasis which different disciplines require seemingly suggest that students in certain disciplines are better than others in certain aspects of aptitude tests. Aptitude tests require that the candidates rely on specifically designed materials, do some practice tests, before seating the examinations.

1 Like

Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by PonDonCras(m): 6:08pm On Aug 16, 2011
This is just the begining since you have denied the Graduates who had 2nd class lower and 3rd respectively just because your whole focus rest on paper qualification. You will continue to experience more of it until you allow every Nigerian compete for Jobs. Look at you, after copying and sorting to gain 1st class and 2nd class respectively you think they have something in their heads. Shame on NNPC grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin i dey laugh all of una. mumu people.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by basadenet: 6:21pm On Aug 16, 2011
Why wont they perform low? because most of them bought their certificate with money but not with brain. Nigeria education is nothing to write home about and the standard will continue to fall if not quickly checked.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by easyglo(f): 6:24pm On Aug 16, 2011
Same story evrywher nt only NNPC nd D fault is cming 4rm evrybdy. PARENTS are busy lukn 4 money nt hw 2 impart moral, SCHOOLS are only intrestd in sch fees nt standard, LECTURERS are intrestd in wat dey can get 4rm d studnts nt wat dey can impart, EMPLYRS are lukin 4 quolification nt skills or ability, nd STUDNTS are lukin 4 cirtificate nt knowldge. Its a sad situatn bt dis is jst d beginin.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 16, 2011
i thought they used quota system?
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by 5point(f): 6:52pm On Aug 16, 2011
ALL of us that graduated with first class and 2.1 in my class passed the NNPC test.Interestingly, many of us didn't go for the interview and the reason I gathered is that most of us value knowledge and challenge.We prefer to be informed than being redundant in one government parastatal regardless of the pay.
Everyone of us is doing very well where we are, setting new standards.I have, can and will always defend the grade I earned by God's grace.
Btw, I thought only 1st class and 2.1 graduates wrote the test.So, what is it with the 2.2 gist
Generalizations ain't cool.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by jacobs123(m): 7:08pm On Aug 16, 2011
They failed NNPC test, but the banks and the multinationals still want them. Maybe that's why NNPC is stuck as a company. They can't supply fuel, can't supervise oil companies, all they want is to go on courses abroad even when the refineries are down.
I guess tis is a good excuse for Mr Oniwon to recruit his folks and continue in office till his 70!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by loma(m): 7:16pm On Aug 16, 2011
Nairalanders and their 'bash-first-class-folks' campaign.

Would like to make a few points here.

Anyone who is disciplined enough to make a first class deserves it. It however does not make them necessarily smarter than a 2.1 or 2.2 guy who could have made a first class, but got derailed due to personal, financial, or a sundry of other issues. But still, I respect everyone who made a first class. I equally know several 2.2 folks who are very sound, and could have made a 1st class given the right conditions.

Being a first-class student does not make you necessarily good at aptitude tests. I know several of my colleagues back at OAU who were very smart (and still are) and technically sound but just did not have the flair for aptitude tests. They have since gone on to make waves in their various disciplines.

For anyone who read through this thread (and all the nonsense spouted by some folks), the NNPC test as not even an aptitude test. They were testing O-level Physics, etc . How do you expect someone (1st class or not) who has been working for several years to still remember the details of Optics and Waves (especially if he/she has been working in a different area, or does not have the time to prepare) and do well in such exam? If 2.2s had been involved, it probably would have been worse.

Lastly, Nigerian companies need to jettison this policy of aptitude tests/ O-level Physics exams for employment, especially for experienced hires. I have never had to write any  aptitude test here in the US for any job. While I understand the need to filter out people for entry level positions, why do you need an aptitude test for an experienced hire? Of what relevance is O-level physics cramming (that people do not even know its application) to a job as Database Manager?

But then, this is Nigeria, where anything is possible!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by benom(m): 7:22pm On Aug 16, 2011
I made a 2:2 in my undergrad. I am not the same as those who claim they were 'given' a 2:2 as if they deserved better. This 'I would have been better than u if not for my 2:2' attitude is a killer. Your degree gets you to the door of any recruiter. Your personality gets you in. What do you really know? How good are you? How much are you willing to improve? When you answer these questions sincerely, then you will see why most time we get there (Baring favoritism), and only a few go in. I understood this early and it changed the way I see myself. I have changed succulent jobs twice. Some of my 1st class friends say I am lucky.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by babslepe: 7:43pm On Aug 16, 2011
what else do you people expect when most of this private universities dish out 2:1 and first class as means of advertisement the government should look into this whole mess the private universities are causing
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by benom(m): 7:50pm On Aug 16, 2011
I strongly disagree with the assertion that 2:1 is being dished out. Do not cast aspersions on the hard work and determination of others. We all know that people do make 2:1 through the back door but we often forget to acknowledge that there are more fake 2:2s than 2:1.
Go out there. There are many opportunities for you to prove that you are better than them as you claim. The world is a global village. PROVE YOURSELF.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by babslepe: 8:07pm On Aug 16, 2011
we all know students who opt for the private univerisities are those who failed to get entry into the reputable federal universities or dropped out this private universities are just money making outlets they dont care about the grades the owners just want their pockets filled when i was serving some yrs back i was staying in a private hostel with students of a private university they hardly go to class ,they dont even behave like students the boys just drink all day long the girls go around aimlessly then after 4 yrs of doing this they come out with 2;1 how do you expect them to pass any aptitude test it is just simple logic ""nemo dat quod non habet" meaning you cant give what you dont have.There is nothing upstairs so there is nothing they want to put into writing that would make sense .And when you talk of back door i think it is more rampant in the private universities believe me how can any one graduate with a GPA of 4.99 mathematically this is not attainable getting a 5 is even easier so this says it all
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Rgp92: 8:24pm On Aug 16, 2011
I blame Nigeria parent and how they raise there children. They force you to cram instead of try to understand. If you cram and dont understand, then you fail. angry angry angry angry angry
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by member479760: 8:36pm On Aug 16, 2011
NNPC itself is a failed organization, the managers are all failure.
is it not the same company that cannot even carry out its own capital repairs by itself?
what type of jobs are available that even those that passed can do from day one?
and if they can do the job from day one without prior experience that means senior school leavers can as well do it.

- to monitor datas on computer senior school leavers can do it,
- to weld pipe line, naija graduates cant do it likewise school leavers cant do it, both needs training.
- besides the employee are not inventing anything, whiteman never give us that task.

in the develop countries most of the employee in this type of job are high school graduate, even some of the supervisors and some of the managers likewise.

now, those that failed the exam are not dumbs, NNPC has no jobs for all,  so it has to fine reasons to cover it @ss.

The manager himself is a failure, getting pay doing nothing!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by WhyAWhy(m): 9:09pm On Aug 16, 2011
[size=15 pt]I see a lot of frustration on this thread. Someone makes a 1st class and you haunt them all their life trying to know what they will become or where you can easily spite them. Nawa oh.

If first class and 2.1 or whatever grade were that easy to "la cram, la pour" or "buy", why not take a step back, and go and buy your own!!!

For all I care, if you studied "Rice and Beans" in University and made it out with a grade above pass either it is a 3rd class, 2nd class or 1st class, it only certifies your head fit to make certain decisions and not that you are a genius.
[/size]
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 9:56pm On Aug 16, 2011
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Tavarish: 9:57pm On Aug 16, 2011
1st class and 2.1 are cumulative results! There's no way you can just wake up and change results. All those accusing these two classes of degrees are not serious! Unless you're telling me that a candidate will bribe his way from 100level to final year, and for each course of study and projects. Mind you, there are stages for considering results: from examiners, to departmental examiners board, to faculty board and then to Senate. After senate's approval, no body tampers with results. Mind you, records of results are kept in exam office, HOD's office, Dean's office and in Senate. Tell me then at what stage can some one change results? Before graduation, all records are checked-inform of clearance, before a student is graduated. All those accusing 1st class and 2.1 should go back to the University and see if they can bribe their ways and come out with a first class degree! One thing most people don't know is that the moment you're admitted to a course and for your first exam you earn 3.5 CGPA and above, you're being noticed already. You're being encouraged and monitored. At what point can you bribe to change the CGPA? I can write on and on. But for NNPC to come out and say such about those classes of degree is an insult on the Universities, NUC and the Federal ministry of Education. An aptitude test is different from academic test or exams. On a good day you can pass or fail an aptitude test, but not academic test or exam. Aptitude test has to do with general knowledge and life; and not academic specifics. NNPC should apologize for such insult on academics and education. They should ask PTDF about our 1st class and 2.1 who have gone to UK schools for M.Sc and PhD programmes and excelled more than those British citizens that did undergraduate programmes in their country. Well, i beg to stop here. Cheers!

@Rastaman
Say what you know. Many of us are in the system and we know what goes on there. We have complained so many times without being heard by those involved. Students do not have to bribe their way from 100 level to the end of their course, all they do is to bribe their way in the first semester of their final year and this bribing is mostly done through those in the IT section and some admin staff and grades will be changed in the schools data bank. Go to many Private universities and see what is happening in these universities.  And this is what happens when we put much emhazis on paper qualification rather than skill. We need a good mix of the two.  

I'm a Lecturer in a Federal University. Not a Nigerian Graduate, though a Nigerian. Speak for yourself and don't generalize things. You don't just complain, but should petition to the council of the university concerned or to NUC if you really have facts and see if nothing happens! There's no way degree will be awarded without the approval of Dept. and Faculty. Talk less of transcript to be issued out. What i've said and you quoted is a fact and nothing other than that. So, don't just say i should say what i know. I'm in the system and have thought many graduates doing very well in their Engineering careers within and outside Nigeria at the moment. So, read my comments and understand; if possible digest it well. You may only comment when you have facts. Cheers!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by babslepe: 10:08pm On Aug 16, 2011
@Tavarish please you can bribe at any level whether 100 or 500 all that matters is the lecturer invovled so please talk like a lecturer dont try to deny the obvious (una like egunje die ) we are all Nigerians and we know the way we do our things .And please how can 80% of people who fall into this category fail a common aptitude test .So dont try to make lecturers look like saints
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by WhyAWhy(m): 10:45pm On Aug 16, 2011
@Tavarish: If you belong to a university in which one person in the I.T section has access to student records and can change results at will, then your uni is on a long thing.

I graduated from OAU, the results are in at least 3 different places

1. The Department keeps it's own records
2. The Student Records department has it's own
3. The faculty has it's own

When Senate seats meets to review final graduation results, the 3 are verified for accuracy and you've got to bribe over 20 people to make sure the results are altered on all three

All 3 are not networked online in anyway, so BEAT THAT!!!
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by chijike(m): 10:54pm On Aug 16, 2011
i think nnpc should follow the part of honour and conduct another test instead of covering up their inability to organise a flawless recruitment exercise.i think nnpc should follow the part of honour and conduct another test instead of covering up their inability to organise a flawless recruitment exercise.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Vigilante: 10:59pm On Aug 16, 2011
You'd have a measure of respect if you make a 1st class or 2.1 in the Nigerian Law School.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by 3kay945(m): 11:13pm On Aug 16, 2011
Why are some guys+kids here jealous of 1st klass and 2.1 holder? Naija mentality, always looking 4 ways to pull down their neighbor. NNPC test? I hope it not the one held at the stadiums? If it is! Who called that a test or aptitude whatever?! I know it a fraud from the start. Nonsense.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by yemee: 11:14pm On Aug 16, 2011
Big lie, it's impossible for 80% of those that took the test to have failed, the management is just seeking an opportunity to insert 'political' candidates,
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by 3kay945(m): 11:33pm On Aug 16, 2011
Why are nigerian fallin for this cheap crap?, ALL the top official of nnpc have their candidate. The formal test and interview are just to select the very few annoited one to complete their greedy plan
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by babslepe: 11:52pm On Aug 16, 2011
@yemee wise talk i second that. instead of some nigerians to profer solution and face the obvious when they see something wrong they just look for lame excuses to justify nonsense what does jealousy have to do with grades . when people try to analysis the cause of the problem they call it jealousy when will we learn to think actively not passively did you not read thev topic before posting a reply if these man's claim is true then i think the ministry of education and Nuc should look into this matter and the way universites grade their students period cause this na serious wahala 80% out of the 100% grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Nobody: 12:53am On Aug 17, 2011
Reading through this thread, it appears people below 2.1 are really hating on the 1st and 2.1 classes.
If you didn't make it out the Uni with either of these grades, work on yourself instead of 'misyarning' about those who got it.

Reply to the topic: NNPC my foot, give the people employed at NNPC this same test and they'll flop, I'm very sure of that.
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Ishilove: 2:02am On Aug 17, 2011
My middle finger to NNPC. Some folks here have made valid points, while so others have spouted pure drivel and shyte. I wrote their stupid test and i was appalled by the level of corruption behind the scene. How can u invite liberal/pure Arts to write a test tailor made for graduates of the sciences and social sciences? I was given graphs construct,financial accounting theories to puzzle out,economic theories i have never heard of to define etc E T bleeping C. Questions completely outside my academic field. My childhood friend who holds first class in Linguistics and was among those awarded a Masters scholarship to Canada by his state governor {he is the only one to have ever made a first class in his department} also wrote the test but didnt pass becos the questions given were just not for pure arts students.
I have an insider who has a direct link to Levi Ajuonuma,the Chief PR officer for NNPC,and Levi told him that he {Levi} couldn't even smuggle his own daughter inside becos of the high level lobbying taking place. He {Levi} mentioned the existence of several lists include ministerial list,presidential list,senatorial list, among many others. Only a very tiny fraction of candidates will be employed purely based on merit,while the rest. . .y'all know how it is. Lol.
Its just a reflection of the sickening corruption that has brought the country to it's present sorry state. A situation where square pegs are put in round holes as a result of nepotism,how can anything work right? I must insist NNPC KISS MY MIDDLE FINGER
Re: 80% Of First Class And 2.1 Failed Nnpc Test by Ishilove: 2:14am On Aug 17, 2011
Mr Moderator why can't i modify my post?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Army 79RRI Full List Of Shortlisted Candidates 2019/2020 For Prescreeni / Why Students Fail Maths In WAEC, NECO - Prof. Onah / Imo State Begins Construction Of Marine University…

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.