Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,033 members, 7,899,684 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 05:15 PM

. - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / . (8119 Views)

Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist / Theist Jewish Scientist Daniel Shechtman Wins 2011 Nobel Prize In Chemistry / Indaba, My Children - God's "origin" And The Sacred Tree Of Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by thehomer: 7:16pm On Aug 29, 2011
macayub:

Computer program is asking for the origin of the programmer!

And people buy this bad analogy? Simply ask yourself, in what way are you like a computer program?
Re: . by Nobody: 7:33pm On Aug 29, 2011
^^CREATION Maybe? undecided
Re: . by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Don't you know that debating or discussing logically and rationally with God believers on issues concerning their God basically hammers them into a corner with that deer in the headlights look or behaviour? You should because they do it a lot.
Again, when I point out that a question is irrelevant, you then need to show that it is relevant.

I know, especially with those who read the bible and think they should have no knowledge of anything else. They get easily conned by the highfalutin words you guys use to deceive them into thinking you are some smart alec.

the problem here is that you actually beleive that you are discussing "logically" when the fact is that you are merely regurgitating the arguments of another, much of which you cant even defend. Its reason why the likes of evil brain ran on the other thread blowing hot air about how Tcell maturation was evidence of evolution . . . the minute i made him aware i had a very good understanding of Tcell maturation and he couldnt just copy-paste BS past me, he fled and hasnt been back since.
Re: . by Nobody: 7:37pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

And people buy this bad analogy? Simply ask yourself, in what way are you like a computer program?

Dumb. The analogy isnt saying you look like a string of words that make up a computer program. Its like saying can the invented ask why the inventor exists?
Re: . by thehomer: 7:46pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

I know, especially with those who read the bible and think they should have no knowledge of anything else. They get easily conned by the highfalutin words you guys use to deceive them into thinking you are some smart alec.

Actually, those believers are more consistent than your type that pick and choose what you wish to believe from the Bible and about God.

davidylan:

the problem here is that you actually beleive that you are discussing "logically" when the fact is that you are merely regurgitating the arguments of another, much of which you cant even defend. Its reason why the likes of evil brain ran on the other thread blowing hot air about how Tcell maturation was evidence of evolution . . . the minute i made him aware i had a very good understanding of Tcell maturation and he couldnt just copy-paste BS past me, he fled and hasnt been back since.

You really love your fallacies. Even if for the sake of argument what you've said here about a particular individual were true what does that show?
Here, let me help you out. That is known as the fallacy of hasty generalization. It is a terrible tactic to try to generalize from a single data point.
Re: . by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Actually, those believers are more consistent than your type that pick and choose what you wish to believe from the Bible and about God.

Where did i ever indicate to you i pick and choose what to believe in the bible?

thehomer:

You really love your fallacies. Even if for the sake of argument what you've said here about a particular individual were true what does that show?
Here, let me help you out. That is known as the fallacy of hasty generalization. It is a terrible tactic to try to generalize from a single data point.

See above for example.
Re: . by thehomer: 7:54pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

Dumb. The analogy isnt saying you look like a string of words that make up a computer program. Its like saying can the invented ask why the inventor exists?

And you think this is a good analogy? I hope you realize that it just a variant of Paley's watchmaker analogy. I just wonder how long it will take for you to realize that you weren't invented, you evolved.
Also, why do you think a sapient organism like yourself cannot ask why you exist? If you can ask that of yourself, why not of your God?
Re: . by Nobody: 7:59pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

And you think this is a good analogy? I hope you realize that it just a variant of Paley's watchmaker analogy. I just wonder how long it will take for you to realize that you weren't invented, you evolved.
Also, why do you think a sapient organism like yourself cannot ask why you exist? If you can ask that of yourself, why not of your God?

And proof of this is?
Re: . by thehomer: 8:00pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

Where did i ever indicate to you i pick and choose what to believe in the bible?

See above for example.

If you don't, then I'm sorry for labeling you as such.
So its guys like you that think there were talking snakes, talking donkeys, people living in a fish for three days, zombies wandering streets, humans being moulded out of ribs and other such fantasies? Well congratulations at least you're being consistent.
Re: . by thehomer: 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

And proof of this is?

Sorry I'm not a professional biologist but I can refer you to works of biologists that are easily accessible to the lay public that demonstrate this basic fact.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

If you don't, then I'm sorry for labeling you as such.
So its guys like you that think there were talking snakes, talking donkeys, people living in a fish for three days, zombies wandering streets, humans being moulded out of ribs and other such fantasies? Well congratulations at least you're being consistent.

If you have a problem with me having such a belief then sorry, i cant help you.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:03pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Sorry I'm not a professional biologist but I can refer you to works of biologists that are easily accessible to the lay public that demonstrate this basic fact.

and these "basic" facts are?

I'm not a professional physicist but i can tell you about the basic facts called gravity. I'll be expecting your "basic" facts.
Re: . by thehomer: 8:09pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

If you have a problem with me having such a belief then sorry, i cant help you.

Good luck with them.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:11pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Good luck with them.

sure dude.

I'm still waiting for your "basic facts" though, i'm sure you have them at your finger tips considering they are "basic" anyway.
Re: . by thehomer: 8:12pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

and these "basic" facts are?

The basic fact that humans among other animals evolved from previously existing animals. But, if you already believe in the myths that I pointed out based on the Bible, then I highly suggest that you do some reading on the theory of evolution because I'm really not going to teach you basic biology on an online forum.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

The basic fact that humans among other animals evolved from previously existing animals. But, if you already believe in the myths that I pointed out based on the Bible, then I highly suggest that you do some reading on the theory of evolution because I'm really not going to teach you basic biology on an online forum.

Where are these facts homie? I'm sick and tired of this dishonest and intellectually stup[i]i[/i]d attempts to escape having to explain your own claims.
Surely you can point me to the "facts" cant you?
Re: . by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 29, 2011
Does it take 10 yrs for thehomer to find his "BASIC" facts?
Re: . by thehomer: 8:36pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

Where are these facts homie? I'm sick and tired of this dishonest and intellectually stup[i]i[/i]d attempts to escape having to explain your own claims.
Surely you can point me to the "facts" cant you?

Thought you'll never ask.
You may start here for a general overview, then feel free to look for these books (one, two, three). They're quite informative and well suited for a lay audience.
Hey look they have references. You may look into them too if you're so inclined.
Happy reading.  grin

PS please read before coming back to bug me for more.
Re: . by thehomer: 8:38pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

Does it take 10 yrs for thehomer to find his "BASIC" facts?

Awww sorry to keep you waiting. Now that you have them, please read read read.
Re: . by Nobody: 8:51pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Thought you'll never ask.

hmmm been asking at least 4 times on this thread and even on the raisin thread. This was what you said earlier in response to my consistently barracking you for the "facts" - The basic fact that humans among other animals evolved from previously existing animals. But, if you already believe in the myths that I pointed out based on the Bible, then I highly suggest that you do some reading on the theory of evolution because I'm really not going to teach you basic biology on an online forum.

You might want to learn how to be honest.

thehomer:

You may start here for a general overview, then feel free to look for these books (one, two, three). They're quite informative and well suited for a lay audience.
Hey look they have references. You may look into them too if you're so inclined.
Happy reading.  grin

PS please read before coming back to bug me for more.

Quite smart, i have to give it up to you. By the time i order these from amazon, get them in the mail and finish reading them . . . thehomer would be long gone and i would not be able to ask him any questions.

Surely you would be able to provide the "BASIC" facts that convinced you that evolution and the origin of life was dependent on random events. Do we have to order books on amazon to do that? Arent you tired of these tricks? Do we send you over to amazon books when explaining our faith?
Re: . by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Awww sorry to keep you waiting. Now that you have them, please read read read.

Not going to bother. At least idehn and co were honest enough to provide readily accessible links. Why you expect me to waste money on those books is beyond me. thanks for the tactic though, i have a better idea how to answer your "relevant" questions now.
Re: . by thehomer: 8:56pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

hmmm been asking at least 4 times on this thread and even on the raisin thread. This was what you said earlier in response to my consistently barracking you for the "facts" - The basic fact that humans among other animals evolved from previously existing animals. But, if you already believe in the myths that I pointed out based on the Bible, then I highly suggest that you do some reading on the theory of evolution because I'm really not going to teach you basic biology on an online forum.

You might want to learn how to be honest.

Quite smart, i have to give it up to you. By the time i order these from amazon, get them in the mail and finish reading them . . . thehomer would be long gone and i would not be able to ask him any questions.

Surely you would be able to provide the "BASIC" facts that convinced you that evolution and the origin of life was dependent on random events. Do we have to order books on amazon to do that? Arent you tired of these tricks? Do we send you over to amazon books when explaining our faith?

At least read the Wikipedia link. I thought you were smart enough to click links through to other websites. Do I have to teach you everything? Sheesh.
Re: . by thehomer: 8:58pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

Not going to bother. At least idehn and co were honest enough to provide readily accessible links. Why you expect me to waste money on those books is beyond me. thanks for the tactic though, i have a better idea how to answer your "relevant" questions now.

Please. You were the one wailing that non-biologists don't know what they're talking about now you're wailing that the biologists have books that you're too dull to order and read? Why don't you go to a public library and borrow them? Or are you playing a harp and chanting away?
Re: . by Nobody: 9:08pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Please. You were the one wailing that non-biologists don't know what they're talking about now you're wailing that the biologists have books that you're too dull to order and read? Why don't you go to a public library and borrow them? Or are you playing a harp and chanting away?

That still stands. It seems the only thing they know is copying and pasting from other people's books.
If you read those books and understand them it should not take 20 yrs to summarize at least one here. But that would be asking too much.

It has nothing to do with being "too dull to read". Its a toss-up of whether i choose to spend $40 on 3 books that have minimal traction in the REAL scientific world. why are they not published as reviews in nature or science journals if they are filled with such "basic" facts about evolution? At least Jerry Coyne seems to be well published.
Re: . by thehomer: 9:17pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

That still stands. It seems the only thing they know is copying and pasting from other people's books.
If you read those books and understand them it should not take 20 yrs to summarize at least one here. But that would be asking too much.

It has nothing to do with being "too dull to read". Its a toss-up of whether i choose to spend $40 on 3 books that have minimal traction in the REAL scientific world. why are they not published as reviews in nature or science journals if they are filled with such "basic" facts about evolution? At least Jerry Coyne seems to be well published.

You're not chained to only buying the books from Amazon. There are other options. You could borrow from a friend, borrow from a library, buy a used copy among other options. Be creative man. Its expected in your line of work.
Re: . by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

You're not chained to only buying the books from Amazon. There are other options. You could borrow from a friend, borrow from a library, buy a used copy among other options. Be creative man. Its expected in your line of work.

or you could explain your points right here or indicate accessible links we could discuss here like men. stuff like Idehn and mantraa were kind enough to do. Not like empty-headed loudmouths like you. sigh.
Re: . by thehomer: 9:30pm On Aug 29, 2011
davidylan:

or you could explain your points right here or indicate accessible links we could discuss here like men. stuff like Idehn and mantraa were kind enough to do. Not like empty-headed loudmouths like you. sigh.

Oh oh now you want to do that? Sorry, that boat has sailed. Go out and read. After all, you're about to get six figures basic in six months. If the salary isn't available yet, simply go to wikipedia and create a book on evolution to read or check the books in the making.
Happy reading. smiley
Re: . by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 29, 2011
thehomer:

Oh oh now you want to do that? Sorry, that boat has sailed. Go out and read. After all, you're about to get six figures basic in six months. If the salary isn't available yet, simply go to wikipedia and create a book on evolution to read or check the books in the making.
Happy reading.  smiley

You provided no boat in the first place. Thanks but we already know the tricks.
Idehn and co provided JBC and nature journal papers that we thrashed out on the forum. Go on recommending books you've never read. I prefer to take fishing vacations with my pay, no thanks.
Re: . by unphilaz(m): 1:54am On Aug 30, 2011
wit dis thread and d origin of life am seeing d mechanics of an atheist way of thinking and soon its predictability will be evident to me as sexkill and davidlan have already known and are allowing me to see. may Yahweh bless your people amen
Re: . by manmustwac(m): 8:43am On Aug 30, 2011
unphilaz:

wit dis thread and d origin of life am seeing d mechanics of an atheist way of thinking and soon its predictability will be evident to me as sexkill and davidlan have already known and are allowing me to see. may Yahweh bless your people amen
so can you please explain what is the atheist way of thinking? And can you also answer the question which is "what is gods origin?" (without answering the question with another question)
Re: . by harakiri(m): 9:42am On Aug 30, 2011
@manmustwac, Thank you so so so much for that. Sometimes when I hear these people talk, I wonder if their brains have been replaced with beans! So dull! He can't explain how his presumed ancestor called adam got created from SAND and yet he's talking about "atheist way of thinking". Sexkillz comes here to rile up the crowd with his nonsensical rants while davidylan spends his entire day insulting his betters and to the theists, these two are "heroes". Utterly pathetic!
Re: . by Purist(m): 10:25am On Aug 30, 2011
^^  Davidylan is quite an intelligent fellow everywhere on Nairaland except the Religion board.  I oft wonder how he manages to achieve this feat.  As for sexkillz, that one is just a clown that deserves no serious mention anywhere.

@topic:  Apparently, this is one question no single theist anywhere in the world is able to answer.  But instead of doing the honourable thing by admitting that they do not know (atheists have no trouble admitting that their knowledge is limited), they'd rather go about in circles, dodging questions and asking utterly stupid questions in return.  Pathetic indeed.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Will Hellfire Burn The Damned, Christians? / Mantras / I'm Fed UP!! I Want To Start A Church! Who Is With Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.