Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,034 members, 7,899,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 July 2024 at 05:26 PM

. - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / . (8120 Views)

Towards Uniting Theist And Atheist / Theist Jewish Scientist Daniel Shechtman Wins 2011 Nobel Prize In Chemistry / Indaba, My Children - God's "origin" And The Sacred Tree Of Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by harakiri(m): 10:39am On Aug 30, 2011
Purist:

^^  Davidylan is quite an intelligent fellow everywhere on Nairaland except the Religion board.  I oft wonder how he manages to achieve this feat.  As for sexkillz, that one is just a clown that deserves no serious mention anywhere.

@topic:  Apparently, this is one question no single theist anywhere in the world is able to answer.  But instead of doing the honourable thing by admitting that they do not know (atheists have no trouble admitting that their knowledge is limited), they'd rather go about in circles, dodging questions and asking utterly stupid questions in return.  Pathetic indeed.

Abi ooo! The thing tire me sef.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:18pm On Aug 30, 2011
Purist:

^^  Davidylan is quite an intelligent fellow everywhere on Nairaland except the Religion board.  I oft wonder how he manages to achieve this feat.  As for sexkillz, that one is just a clown that deserves no serious mention anywhere.

@topic:  Apparently, this is one question no single theist anywhere in the world is able to answer.  But instead of doing the honourable thing by admitting that they do not know (atheists have no trouble admitting that their knowledge is limited), they'd rather go about in circles, dodging questions and asking utterly stupid questions in return.  Pathetic indeed.

probably because you already have a narrow-mindset of what constitutes logic and religion isnt one of them.
Re: . by unphilaz(m): 6:48pm On Aug 30, 2011
harakiri:

@manmustwac, Thank you so so so much for that. Sometimes when I hear these people talk, I wonder if their brains have been replaced with beans! So dull! He can't explain how his presumed ancestor called adam got created from SAND and yet he's talking about "atheist way of thinking". Sexkillz comes here to rile up the crowd with his nonsensical rants while davidylan spends his entire day insulting his betters and to the theists, these two are "heroes". Utterly pathetic!

hi harakiri, i dont need to join issues wit u cos sexkills and davidlan are doing real good. . . i remember the verse

One will chase a thousand and two(sexkills and davidlyan) ten thousand of u, so chill guy, my opinion is my opinion. I am have an understanding of an athiest tot pattern never random but in a certain pattern. . . soon the mask u people hide under is gradually falling off. . . just a few more reading . . . wait na!
Re: . by unphilaz(m): 7:18pm On Aug 30, 2011
Let me contribute what i have started understanding about the mindset of an athiest which is a point a noticed in "Origin of Life"

An athiest have nothing to stand on . . for example, take away god/religion and they dont have anything to hold as a yardstick to criticize. they are standing on their lack of belief in any deity. so if u throw god/religion at them, they use it as a stepping stone so if u refuse to throw any such things, nothing to step on and they are gradually are sinking into the 'gas and liquid'!
Re: . by Nobody: 11:32pm On Aug 30, 2011
^^ Davidylan is quite an intelligent fellow everywhere on Nairaland except the Religion board. I oft wonder how he manages to achieve this feat. As for sexkillz, that one is just a clown that deserves no serious mention anywhere.

@topic: Apparently, this is one question no single theist anywhere in the world is able to answer. But instead of doing the honourable thing by admitting that they do not know (atheists have no trouble admitting that their knowledge is limited), they'd rather go about in circles, dodging questions and asking utterly stupid questions in return. Pathetic indeed.

You meant dancing to the ATHEISTS TUNE? But instead of dancing the ATHEISTS SALSA, i chose MAKOSSA! Now

ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in GOD
ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in RELIGION
ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in FAITH
ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in GOOD & EVIL
ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in RIGHT or WRONG! (HOW DO THEY DETERMINE THE TRUTH THEN?)
ATHEISTS dont KNOW how LIFE came ABOUT
They turn to SCIENCE & EVOLUTION
SCIENCE doesnt KNOW!
They ONLY BELIEVE in HARD FACTS & LOGIC!
What is the BASIS behind your FACTS? They CANT ANSWER!
What is the BASIS behind your LOGIC? They CANT ANSWER!
Is LOGIC found in NATURE? They cant ANSWER!
How do you DETERMINE YOUR OWN LOGIC? They CANT ANSWER!
Whose LOGIC is TRUE LOGIC? THEY CANT ANSWER!
How did ATHEISTS determine/prove that THEIR NON BELIEF SYSTEM IS RIGHT? NO ANSWER!
WHAT is RATIONAL about the NON BELIEF SYSTEM? STILL NO ANSWER

All they KNOW is some VERSES of a BOOK they DONT BELIEVE IN!
Why should you STUDY what you dont believe in? DUMB?
Why should you Quote PARTS of THAT BOOK to SUIT your ARGUMENTS? ST[b]U[/b]PID?
THRU OUT ATHEISTIC HISTORY, they recycle THE SAME QUESTIONS! WHY? CLUELESS?
Whatever they dont UNDERSTAND is NONSENSICAL, ILLOGICAL, a MISNOMER!
They QUESTION FAITH, Dont they have FAITH in ANYTHING?
I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANYONE, BUT AS LONG AS sexkillz IS CONCERNED, ATHEISTS AND PATHETIC are SYNONYMS! undecided

Re: . by Nobody: 1:08am On Aug 31, 2011
sexkillz:

[color=#000099]You meant dancing to the ATHEISTS TUNE? But instead of dancing the ATHEISTS SALSA, i chose MAKOSSA! Now

ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in GOD
ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in RELIGION
ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in FAITH
ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in GOOD & EVIL
ATHEISTS dont BELIEVE in RIGHT or WRONG! (HOW DO THEY DETERMINE THE TRUTH THEN?)
ATHEISTS dont KNOW how LIFE came ABOUT
They turn to SCIENCE & EVOLUTION
SCIENCE doesnt KNOW!
They ONLY BELIEVE in HARD FACTS & LOGIC!
What is the BASIS behind your FACTS? They CANT ANSWER!
What is the BASIS behind your LOGIC? They CANT ANSWER!
Is LOGIC found in NATURE? They cant ANSWER!
How do you DETERMINE YOUR OWN LOGIC? They CANT ANSWER!
Whose LOGIC is TRUE LOGIC? THEY CANT ANSWER!
How did ATHEISTS determine/prove that THEIR NON BELIEF SYSTEM IS RIGHT? NO ANSWER!
WHAT is RATIONAL about the NON BELIEF SYSTEM? STILL NO ANSWER

All they KNOW is some VERSES of a BOOK they DONT BELIEVE IN!
Why should you STUDY what you dont believe in? DUMB?
Why should you Quote PARTS of THAT BOOK to SUIT your ARGUMENTS? ST[b]U[/b]PID?
THRU OUT ATHEISTIC HISTORY, they recycle THE SAME QUESTIONS! WHY? CLUELESS?
Whatever they dont UNDERSTAND is NONSENSICAL, ILLOGICAL, a MISNOMER!
They QUESTION FAITH, Dont they have FAITH in ANYTHING?
I DONT KNOW ABOUT ANYONE, BUT AS LONG AS sexkillz IS CONCERNED, ATHEISTS AND PATHETIC are SYNONYMS! undecided
[/colo

Gods don't exist because they were all made up by different cultures to explain natural phenomena and death.
Religion is only needed by those people who believe in gods or a transcendental purpose of life.
What do I need faith for?
What's good to you is evil to another and vice versa. It's all relative. I bet you think it's immoral for Muslims to marry underage children while they think it's perfectly normal. It's all relative.
Different people, societies and cultures all have different ideas of right or wrong. It's all relative and depends on your particular social group and yor psychological make up.
Whatswrong with believing in hard facts and logic,
Some atheists know how life came about through the aid of science but no one knows from where or why life began.

Anyway, I'm just wasting time, the new madden just came out grin hasta luego amigos
Re: . by Nobody: 1:14am On Aug 31, 2011
Martian:

Gods don't exist because they were all made up by different cultures to explain natural phenomena and death.
Religion is only needed by those people who believe in gods or a transcendental purpose of life.
What's good to you is evil to another and vice versa. It's all relative. I bet you think it's immoral for Muslims to marry underage children while they think it's perfectly normal. It's all relative.
Different people, societies and cultures all have different ideas of right or wrong. It's all relative and depends on your particular social group and yor psychological make up.
Some atheists know how life came about through the aid of science but no one knows from where or why life began.

Anyway, I'm just wasting time, the new madden just came out grin hasta luego amigos

and your evidence would be?
Re: . by Nobody: 1:30am On Aug 31, 2011
Martian:

So who then should determine WHICH society's IDEA is RIGHT?
Re: . by unphilaz(m): 8:06am On Aug 31, 2011
bookmark in progress as i wait for answers to the 2 last questions
Re: . by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:43am On Aug 31, 2011
Quote from: thehomer on: August 29, 2011, 05:20 PM   
Quote from: OLAADEGBU on August 29, 2011, 01:53 AM 
Assuming God's origin cannot be proven therefore He does not exist.  Can we also conclude that the universe and life does not exist because their origins cannot be proven?

The question is whether you know what God's origin is. If you don't know, you're free to say so.

If you had taken time to answer sexkillz's question on whether you can see "time" you would have seen how relevant it was in answering the question about God's origin.  Infact, the OP's question is an oxymoron.  It is just like asking a man born blind to describe a particular colour.  Everything created has a beginning and will therefore have an end.  God is not created, He has no beginning or end, He is infinite, He has always existed, and is not bound to time like we are.

Time, on the other hand began when God started to created everything in the whole universe "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1).  According to the Bible, this was about 6,000 years ago!  Before then , there was no days, weeks or years.

With God a day can be like a thousand years and a thousand years can be just like a day.  Time doesn't mean the same thing to God as it does to us.  God is outside of time.  God who created time on the first day of creation can see time, past, present and future in one stretch.  God lives in eternity, He is the beginning and the end, the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last.
Re: . by Purist(m): 11:20am On Aug 31, 2011
davidylan:

probably because you already have a narrow-mindset of what constitutes logic and religion isnt one of them.

Indeed, you're right.  Religious beliefs, to me, border on the illogical.  Talking snakes and donkeys, walking on water, man wrestling with angel, shadow healing people, turning water into wine, people building a tower to reach heaven that it makes an omnipotent being feel threatened, God having his 'special people' on behalf of whom he instigates wars, etc.  All these things make no sense to me.   But going by your own submission on another thread, it appears you also have this 'narrow mindset' yourself.

[center]
davidylan:
Its illogical, it makes no sense . . . but i firmly believe that Jesus Christ IS LORD of all and His word is TRUTH.
I will be just fine leaving this world with that firm faith, if i'm wrong . . . no problem but you better hope i'm not right.  grin

Source:  https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-747694.0.html#msg9038233
[/center]
Re: . by Nobody: 1:42am On Sep 01, 2011
davidylan:

and your evidence would be?

My evidence will be history, science, technology and the fact that the gods and religions of past civilizations are now refered to as myths. Today's religion is tomorrow's mythology.
Diagoras of Melos criticized the greeks and their "eleunisian mysteries" and said their gods didn't exist. In retrospect who was right, Diaogras or the religious people who had faith

Myths also are also reflections of the level of civilization of whoever made the story up. An example will be Elijah going to heaven(the sky) on a chariot of fire while Xenu of Scientology brought the thetans to earth on a craft that resembles a 757 jet. Whoever made up Elijah's story used a chariot because chariots where the best means of transportation in his time while L Ron Hubbard used a 757 because that was one of the best technology avialiable during his time. Elijah's author also said Elijah flew to the sky because he didn't have any knowledge of astronomy and didn't know that there is no heaven up there. L Ron Hubbard on the other hand was a science fiction writer who knew about the existence of different galaxies so Xenu dind't just come from the sky but from another planet altogether.

Ancient greeks had the panthoen of gods and some of these gods were fond of procreating with human females who gave birth to half god/half man saviors, Egypt became monotheist and believed that Aten was the was one true god, the yorubas thought Oludumare sent a guy with a chicken and some sand  to create the world and that life started at Ile ife, the Nordic people believed in Odin, Thor and co and the jews said that the first people were Adam and Eve and that they(the jews) are the chosen people of the creator of the universe.  Why do you accept the jews' stories as real and the rest as mythology when they all sound equally primitive and obviously fabricated?

If you need more evidence, you'll have to tell me how you got the evidence that Ishvara is not the one true God and i'll use your methods to disprove yours.

sexkillz:

So who then should determine WHICH society's IDEA is RIGHT?

No one determines who's right or wrong. One man's meat is another man's poison.  Humans, through cultural evolution, choose their own morals. Morals depend on the kinds of behavior that society is willing to put up with and these morals are very mutable. There was nothing immoral about slavery in 18th century America, leaving twins in the "evil forest" wasn't immoral to the Ibos of the middle ages of present day Nigeria, human sacrifice wasn't immoral to the ancient americans and child marriages isn't immoral to present day muslims.  At one time in Texas, it was perfectly legal to have gun duels that ended up taking someone's life but I don't think Texans still think gun duels are "right" even though some Texans from the past thought there was nothing "wrong" with it. Sam Houston killed a man in a duel and later became governor of Texas, can Rick Perry do the same today?

G@y people getting married in New York is considered a grave sin that will destroy America by my evangelical christians, especially in the south, but I don't see anything wrong with them getting married.

A simple example will be how young people bow and prostrate to elders in Nigeria while young people in America will probably extend their hands for a handshake. The Nigerian would consider the American youth to be rude if he didn't bow to his elders and the American youth will view the Nigerian as overly subservient or dramatic. Who is right or wrong in this scenario?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

How Will Hellfire Burn The Damned, Christians? / Mantras / I'm Fed UP!! I Want To Start A Church! Who Is With Me?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.