Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,465 members, 7,904,730 topics. Date: Monday, 29 July 2024 at 06:23 PM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (225968 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by geepawps(m): 6:54pm On Jun 01, 2012
I am praying to get to that level, this talks gives me the motivation that there are good jobs out there.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 6:58pm On Jun 01, 2012
2sexy: 2good, T22 please reply me when you come online.

My brother, why not spend small money in naija first and then keep the big money for the master's. This is what I would do.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 7:00pm On Jun 01, 2012
geepawps: I am praying to get to that level, this talks gives me the motivation that there are good jobs out there.

I am not sure that there are no good jobs out there. The problem is overcoming the competition.

T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 9:58pm On Jun 01, 2012
tanimola22:

My brother, why not spend small money in naija first and then keep the big money for the master's. This is what I would do.

T22.

Yes, Boss!
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 6:14am On Jun 02, 2012
tanimola22:

I am not sure that there are no good jobs out there. The problem is overcoming the competition.

T22.
Yes, that's it. There are still good jobs in Nigeria, but there may be spaces for no more than 10% of qualified folks. So the competition can be stiff. But the good thing is the industry is to a large extent merit-driven.

I remember when I was shortlisted for Economist position in Total E&P early last year. 32 of us from Nigeria(the shortlisting criteria must have been extremely thorough given the thousands that applied), 5 US-schooling(Msc & MBA) Nigerians, another 5 or so UK-schooling(Msc & MBA) Nigerians. Altogether, about 42 of us were competing for one space. After the rigorous exercise that took place simultaneously in PH, London and one US city, one of the US guys clinched the job. So this is the kind of competition you should be expecting.

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by hobat4cash(m): 12:06pm On Jun 02, 2012
guys i could not sleep well yesternyt cos of what one of my guys told me abt a colleague of ours when we were in school. The said guy has been in Mobil since 2006, the guy mentioned that this Mobil dude is entitled to an allowance called excess crude allowance every quarter and the amount is mind blowing. There and then i knew that oil company is the place to be, it doesnt matter how u get in just get in.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by AjanleKoko: 1:58pm On Jun 02, 2012
hobat4cash: guys i could not sleep well yesternyt cos of what one of my guys told me abt a colleague of ours when we were in school. The said guy has been in Mobil since 2006, the guy mentioned that this Mobil dude is entitled to an allowance called excess crude allowance every quarter and the amount is mind blowing. There and then i knew that oil company is the place to be, it doesnt matter how u get in just get in.

I'm sure someone is having you on there. Excess crude ke?

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by livapul86(m): 2:47pm On Jun 02, 2012
^^
Oga, this thread go cause wahala o! One young lady(from a different thread) has already made the mistake of marrying a man thinking he works with an OYEL company.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 3:23pm On Jun 02, 2012
livapul86: ^^
Oga, this thread go cause wahala o! One young lady(from a different thread) has already made the mistake of marrying a man thinking he works with an OYEL company.
i know the thread you are talking about but this one was meant to educate people wanting build a career in an oil and gas industry.

I for one is a petroleum engineering student hoping to graduate this year but knowing what to do next is off paramount important. Hence, I need to hang out with men of substance in order to help myself.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 3:28pm On Jun 02, 2012
livapul86: ^^
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 11:59pm On Jun 02, 2012
AjanleKoko:

I'm sure someone is having you on there. Excess crude ke?

oga wetin na - i know u get excess airtime allowance

me sef i dey get excess petrol and gas allowance na grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by TheOne2(m): 5:57pm On Jun 03, 2012
I don't know if the "excess crude allowance" story is true but I can easily imagine a situation that could warrant it. Most IOCs have yearly targets that come from the corporate HQ. this is set based on an assessment of existing capacity, anticipated new development startup, upside from infill drilling and work overs, and the effect of natural decline. This target is set on a month-by-month basis. PENGASSAN can easily putvforth an argument that any production above this target is a result of outstanding efforts by employees and they want a share of the excess for their members. Such arguments might seem ludicrous in other sectors but in the oil industry, I wouldn't be surprised if it flies.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kissoflife: 6:46pm On Jun 03, 2012
How much does maintenance technicians and operators earn in chevron and mobil? is it the same as entry level?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by anuel4luv(m): 4:15pm On Jun 05, 2012
Am really glad I found this thread on time and my deepest appreciation goes to all contributors from 'wiki T22', 2good, deborsky, Jarus...etc....God bless you all... Am a graduate of chemical engineering (FUT minna) with a 2:1. Am going for service next month and I have been having serious trouble with skills to acquire to make me more competitive? My three eyes are set on the oil industry but the irony is that the skills I currently possess are more of the I.T. skills. I would really appreciate advice from you all. Thank you.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Insanity(m): 10:35am On Jun 06, 2012
This thread has been an eye opener for me. Thanks to all that contributed and are still doing a tremendous work here
Am a civil Engineering graduate 2:1, am thinking of going for my postgraduate studies abroad, US/Canada preferably.
i don't want to specialize this early in my career 'cuz i'll b restricted to certain areas. Am thinking of doing Geotechnical Engineering M.Eng. Is dis a good choice in the sense that i want to be eligible for oil and gas jobs, or should i do masters in a petroleum related field. i don't want to do the later 'cuz i don't have much basic background in petroleum.
Any ideas on top schools for masters in Geotechnical Engineering that have good graduate recruitment rate by employers, oil and gas companies to be precise. Thanks.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by SefB(f): 10:50am On Jun 06, 2012
tanimola22:

@Toughluv

I have long responded to you by email. I sent you the email immediately I read your message, and that was yesterday.

You may want to check your box again.

T22

Hello T22, Couls you pls share with me any info u have on applying to IFP?
Thanks
SefB
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 11:07am On Jun 06, 2012
SefB:

Hello T22, Couls you pls share with me any info u have on applying to IFP?
Thanks
SefB

Hi baby,

Number 1 secret:

In addition to your relevant undergraduate qualification, you should try to convince them that you can well pay your bills even though you eventually get no support from any of their partner oil companies. This is key.

Other important things:

Standardized test scores, i.e. GRE/ GMAT and TOEFL. They like these scores and believe that you are competitive if you have good scores, at least better than those of other applicants.

They claim letters of recommendation are optional, but I strongly suggest that you send two letters addressed to the very director of studies. The letters should look very formal and must be well written by any industry person in oil and gas or any of your profs.

Bias your CV towards Energy, Oil and Gas, i.e. Member of oil and gas this and that, oil this and that, energy that and this.

Add any certificates that will portray you in a good light to your application.

Say you are a basic French speaker. Try to learn one or two things in French to support this claim.

Send the director of studies an email and show him how intensely interested you are concerning studying at IFP. Make him know that you can hold your own without their funding. This is very important to them.

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by SefB(f): 11:07am On Jun 06, 2012
tanimola22:

Good.

Yes, tuition fees were not stated, I saw that. In fact, that was why I made a statement regarding proving that 'you are not a professional being sponsored by your company to come study at IFP'. If you are assumed as one, the tuition you will have to pay for the program is 30k euros. That is roughly more than 6 million naira. I agree that IFP is a little clandestine with tuition for non-professionals, implying, in my view, that it is subject to negotiation. To make you happy, IFP students are always asked to prove that they can cover their living expenses, not tuition fees. I don't want to make you too happy though, but I suspect that getting the admission is the main thing. Tuition is generally ridiculously cheap at public schools in France, and IFP is a French public school. You only need a contribution towards tuition. This can be agreed on with the director of PEM at IFP. Go to funding and read more, http://www.wec-france.org/DocumentsPDF/LABORATOIRES%20PARTENAIRES/IFP-School-English.pdf

Every agreement is made with IFP. The partner universities just offer study abroad opportunities to IFP students. It is called an exchange program, and students from the other partner universities and elsewhere also come to IFP for a specified amount of time, just as IFP students go elswhere. It does not mean that you will pay a new tuition fee to each of the partner universities you attend. It is simply a study abroad program and your to be parent university (IFP) takes care of everything.

Okay, begin to prepare for the tests. I now expect even so much more from you, considering that you will be graduating from a department that so many high flyers with whom I am familiar graduated from a couple of years ago. You guys used to have one Olu Ogboja, one very confident (some people say proud)man. Unfortunately, the guy kicked the bucket some years ago.

You may continue to ask questions and I will continue to give approximate answers. If they take you gberen and you prove yourself gberen, then you won't be far from landing that job that many people will only dream of.

All the best O.

T22.

*****Age also plays a major part in these things. Would you like to tell me your age? cheesy hahahha. I guess this is a weird question. If you find it as such, then please neglect it.

What do u mean age plays a role? I for example, im 22 going to be 23 end of the year, Bsc PetENG (2010) i was about 20/21 then

Does that mean a thing?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 11:14am On Jun 06, 2012
SefB:

What do u mean age plays a role? I for example, im 22 going to be 23 end of the year, Bsc PetENG (2010) i was about 20/21 then

Does that mean a thing?

You fortunately are at an advantage to claim some discounts in France. Your age may also help you prove to them (IFP) that you are not a professional, so they will not charge you 30K Euros per year in tuition fees.

But, on a more serious note, ain't you afraid of earning nearly 1 million/month after your MSc at IFP? You may only be 24/25 at that time grin.

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by SefB(f): 11:17am On Jun 06, 2012
tongue
tanimola22:

Hi baby,

Number 1 secret:

In addition to your relevant undergraduate qualification, you should try to convince them that you can well pay your bills even though you eventually get no support from any of their partner oil companies. This is key.

Other important things:

Standardized test scores, i.e. GRE/ GMAT and TOEFL. They like these scores and believe that you are competitive if you have good scores, at least better than those of other applicants.

They claim letters of recommendation are optional, but I strongly suggest that you send two letters addressed to the very director of studies. The letters should look very formal and must be well written by any industry person in oil and gas or any of your profs.

Bias your CV towards Energy, Oil and Gas, i.e. Member of oil and gas this and that, oil this and that, energy that and this.

Say you are a basic French speaker. Try to learn one or two things in French to support this claim.

Send the director of studies an email and show him how intensely interested you are concerning studying at IFP. Make him know that you can hold your own without their funding. This is very important to them.

T22
, how did u know im female? ure too smart not to have supernatural powers haha
Lol @ Baby tongue
tanimola22:

Hi baby,

Number 1 secret:

Other important things:

T22
, Lol @ Baby
how did u know im female? ure too smart not to have supernatural powers haha

Im probably going to spend all my salary on books, exams and applications, the plan is to apply to 4 American, 3 canadian and IFP school. I didnt get admission into Calgary, they said my 3.83/5 CGPA wasnt good enough *tears*

So i guess GRE is a do or die issue, at least to spice up the gpa.

By director of studies do u mean director of graduate studies or director for the individual courses?
Thanks
SefB
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 11:24am On Jun 06, 2012
SefB: tongue
, how did u know im female? ure too smart not to have supernatural powers haha
Lol @ Baby tongue
, Lol @ Baby
how did u know im female? ure too smart not to have supernatural powers haha

Im probably going to spend all my salary on books, exams and applications, the plan is to apply to 4 American, 3 canadian and IFP school. I didnt get admission into Calgary, they said my 3.83/5 CGPA wasnt good enough *tears*

So i guess GRE is a do or die issue, at least to spice up the gpa.

By director of studies do u mean director of graduate studies or director for the individual courses?
Thanks
SefB

Individual director and overall director, if possible. Don't mind Canadian schools. They like anything 4 and above. You GPA is cool. Improve what you can improve.

Yes, application fees can be as high as 50-120 dollars. IFP requests 0 dollars in application fees. For GRE, I do not foresee you will have any problems. Just prepare well. The only challenge will be the verbal, but experience has taught me that ladies tend to do well in this area. So, in entirety, you are good to go. Registering for these tests is not hard. Just use your card or go to one centre in Lagos/PH/Abj.

Meanwhile, as a petroleum engineer, I guess your salary is already huge. Why then do you think application fees would sap all your money?

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Insanity(m): 11:24am On Jun 06, 2012
Insanity: This thread has been an eye opener for me. Thanks to all that contributed and are still doing a tremendous work here
Am a civil Engineering graduate 2:1, am thinking of going for my postgraduate studies abroad, US/Canada preferably.
i don't want to specialize this early in my career 'cuz i'll b restricted to certain areas. Am thinking of doing Geotechnical Engineering M.Eng. Is dis a good choice in the sense that i want to be eligible for oil and gas jobs, or should i do masters in a petroleum related field. i don't want to do the later 'cuz i don't have much basic background in petroleum.
Any ideas on top schools for masters in Geotechnical Engineering that have good graduate recruitment rate by employers, oil and gas companies to be precise. Thanks.

@T22 i need your advice on the above post. i also need to know more on IFP...don't mind my ignorance but i'll like to know what it means, their prerequistes for entry, do they offer M.Eng Geotechnical Eng.,it seems to be a very good school.what's their minimum CGPA for entry, do i really need to be fluent in french to get entry 'cuz from ya previous posts, its a french institution. Please reply T22 thanks.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 11:40am On Jun 06, 2012
Insanity:

@T22 i need your advice on the above post. i also need to know more on IFP...don't mind my ignorance but i'll like to know what it means, their prerequistes for entry, do they offer M.Eng Geotechnical Eng.,it seems to be a very good school.what's their minimum CGPA for entry, do i really need to be fluent in french to get entry 'cuz from ya previous posts, its a french institution. Please reply T22 thanks.

Hi, I won't lie, the school (IFP) is not bad O. The employment rate there is >>>50% which makes it a good risk for your money.

IFP is a school that specializes mainly in anything concerning energy, oil and gas. Your 2.1 is never inferior for admission. My fear for you is that you may not be lucky to get an oil company willing to sponsor your studies. This is not because of your grade, which I believe is more than enough for admission, but it is because nailing a company like Total, Shell, Saudi Aramco, Technip and co to fully sponsor your studies is very competitive and generally not easy. Even Europeans don't find it easy. On a good note though, you can compete with other Nigerians in naija and if you succeed then Total naija will completely sponsor your studies at IFP. I must state again that this is very possible but not easy.

Mhen, just claim one kind basic level in French. But you must be able to prove it during your interview, if granted one. There is an integration program at IFP Paris and all students who don't know French will be expected to learn the language within a few months. Not all programs are taught in French, some are in English.

To your question about Geotech, please see here http://www.ifp-school.com/default.asp?id=38. From what I saw, I am not sure it is offered at IFP.

T22.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Insanity(m): 12:08pm On Jun 06, 2012
tanimola22:

Hi, I won't lie, the school (IFP) is not bad O. The employment rate there is >>>50% which makes it a good risk for your money.

IFP is a school that specializes mainly in anything concerning energy, oil and gas. Your 2.1 is never inferior for admission. My fear for you is that you may not be lucky to get an oil company willing to sponsor your studies. This is not because of your grade, which I believe is more than enough for admission, but it is because nailing a company like Total, Shell, Saudi Aramco, Technip and co to fully sponsor your studies is very competitive and generally not easy. Even Europeans don't find it easy. On a good note though, you can compete with other Nigerians in naija and if you succeed then Total naija will completely sponsor your studies at IFP. I must state again that this is very possible but not easy.

Mhen, just claim one kind basic level in French. But you must be able to prove it during your interview, if granted one. There is an integration program at IFP Paris and all students who don't know French will be expected to learn the language within a few months. Not all programs are taught in French, some are in English.

To your question about Geotech, please see here http://www.ifp-school.com/default.asp?id=38. From what I saw, I am not sure it is offered at IFP.

T22.
Thanks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 12:41pm On Jun 06, 2012
All this IFP talk sef? Are you an alumni, T22?

Don't ignore IPE ( Institute of Petroleum Engineering at Heriot-Watt University). As far as I know, they have an average employment rate of 98%, in my year and the year before me it was 100%. This included non EU nationals that employers happily processed work permits for.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by jaybee3(m): 1:00pm On Jun 06, 2012
naijababe: All this IFP talk sef? Are you an alumni, T22?

Don't ignore IPE ( Institute of Petroleum Engineering at Heriot-Watt University). As far as I know, they have an average employment rate of 98%, in my year and the year before me it was 100%. This included non EU nationals that employers happily processed work permits for.
What year did you attend HW?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jun 06, 2012
jay bee:
What year did you attend HW?

Why you wan know? U wan find me sontin? grin. The lucky year oil price began the ascent like never before grin
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by jaybee3(m): 1:06pm On Jun 06, 2012
naijababe:

Why you wan know? U wan find me sontin? grin. The lucky year oil price began the ascent like never before grin
hahahhahaha some of ma mates attended that uni and probably took the same course as you but then again looks like you attended after the sub-prime bruhahhaha
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:08pm On Jun 06, 2012
jay bee:
hahahhahaha some of ma mates attended that uni and probably took the same course as you but then again looks like you attended after the sub-prime bruhahhaha

No i attended before, 05/06 session.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by jaybee3(m): 1:14pm On Jun 06, 2012
naijababe:

No i attended before, 05/06 session.
same class as deji dada?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 06, 2012
jay bee:
same class as deji dada?

Gerrout of here, Deji Dada is my cousin now, but he eventually didnt go to HWU sha? He went someplace in Birmingham and did PM instead.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2good(m): 1:51pm On Jun 06, 2012
naijababe: All this IFP talk sef? Are you an alumni, T22?

That was then. Things are very difficult now even for Imperial college if you are not an EU national

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (36) (Reply)

ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / 2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.