Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,715 members, 7,918,204 topics. Date: Monday, 12 August 2024 at 04:17 AM

Total Oil And Gas Workers - Career (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Total Oil And Gas Workers (226479 Views)

I Need Your Urgent Advice Conserning Total Oil Limited Appointment / Job Vacancy At Total Oil Limited Nigeria / Total Oil And Gas Test (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by jaybee3(m): 2:17pm On Jun 06, 2012
naijababe:

Gerrout of here, Deji Dada is my cousin now, but he eventually didnt go to HWU sha? He went someplace in Birmingham and did PM instead.
The one i'm talking about is from kogi state. His dad was a top dawg in the navy
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jun 06, 2012
jay bee:
The one i'm talking about is from kogi state. His dad was a top dawg in the navy

Not the same one, don't think he came to IPE, his name does not ring a bell
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by SefB(f): 5:08pm On Jun 06, 2012
tanimola22:

Individual director and overall director, if possible. Don't mind Canadian schools. They like anything 4 and above. You GPA is cool. Improve what you can improve.

Yes, application fees can be as high as 50-120 dollars. IFP requests 0 dollars in application fees. For GRE, I do not foresee you will have any problems. Just prepare well. The only challenge will be the verbal, but experience has taught me that ladies tend to do well in this area. So, in entirety, you are good to go. Registering for these tests is not hard. Just use your card or go to one centre in Lagos/PH/Abj.

Meanwhile, as a petroleum engineer, I guess your salary is already huge. Why then do you think application fees would sap all your money?

T22

If i had a huge salary, i'll rather take a study leave, do a one year course in England, and come back to my job. lol

I dont earn anything close to huge *sad face* which is why i need to get into a top school, to make my path into the producing companys easier (i work in a servicing comapny at the moment)

Quick question,

Since ive been working for 2 years, (nysc inclusive) wont IFP take me as a proffesional?
Now if i decide not to state that i work, i lose the chance of making my work experience an added advantage.

If i say my parents will pay, they will ask for their heads!! Help!!
Thanks
Confused SefB
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 7:57pm On Jun 06, 2012
naijababe: All this IFP talk sef? Are you an alumni, T22?

Don't ignore IPE ( Institute of Petroleum Engineering at Heriot-Watt University). As far as I know, they have an average employment rate of 98%, in my year and the year before me it was 100%. This included non EU nationals that employers happily processed work permits for.

No, but I know an oil worker who graduated from there exactly 4.5 years ago.

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by debosky(m): 8:52pm On Jun 06, 2012
2good:

That was then. Things are very difficult now even for Imperial college if you are not an EU national

That is the feedback I'm getting from current grads - there is an increasing reluctance to process work permits for non-EU nationals. Either due to pressure from the government (immigration law changes) or cost, or prioritising experienced hires for their work permit slots.

@ Naijababe/Jaybee

Did the Deji Dada you know attend ISL?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 9:00pm On Jun 06, 2012
SefB:

If i had a huge salary, i'll rather take a study leave, do a one year course in England, and come back to my job. lol

I dont earn anything close to huge *sad face* which is why i need to get into a top school, to make my path into the producing companys easier (i work in a servicing comapny at the moment)

Quick question,

Since ive been working for 2 years, (nysc inclusive) wont IFP take me as a proffesional?
Now if i decide not to state that i work, i lose the chance of making my work experience an added advantage.

If i say my parents will pay, they will ask for their heads!! Help!!
Thanks
Confused SefB

There is really no problem. Just be sure to let them know that you have a sponsor who is a very capable individual and not a company. If they see your one year work experience, they should know that you don't have big money yet. Don't omit the only connection you have with oil and gas. Include your work experience.

Just make sure you have all the documents ready before November. Then apply as soon as the application comes out. If you prove that funding your education is not a problem and they make you an offer, then you are in.

Meanwhile, based on a very generous permission granted by a nice guy, below is an email you will get after you have attended and succeeded in the IFP interview. It is an old email, but I would like to use it to illustrate what you should expect.
*****************************************************************************************************
Dear applicant,

The jury will be held at IFP School on May, 15th. In order to update the information regarding your application form, I would like you to send me as soon as possible the latest news regarding:

- TOEFL/GRE/GMAT Score (Please remember that for CSM we need a GRE and a TOEFL, for OU a TOEFL and a GMAT, for TAMU a GRE and a TOEFL and for the other partner university a TOEFL (>80) or a IELTS).

- Partner University choice

- Financing of your education

- Date of your latest degree

For the professionals, please tell me which schedule is preferable for you : starting in the partner University in September and joining IFP School in January or starting at IFP School in January and joining the Partner University in September.

Best Regards

Director, IFP
***********************************************************************************

Now, once you answer that you have no money to support yourself, you are out. On the other hand, they will make you an offer if you tell them a sweet story of how you are more than capable of funding yourself. This is the last hurdle of the admissions process.

I follow you to hope that you get to this level come 2013.

T22.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Repubocrat(m): 9:03pm On Jun 06, 2012
2sexy: If someone schools in Canada, what is the possibility of getting a job in US VS he schooling in the US?

Honestly speaking, it would be almost impossible for you to school in Canada as an international and get a job in the US once you graduate. Perhaps if you attended the Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador, you might have a chance because they have an offshore Oil and Gas program over there. I know a couple of American Offshore Oil & Gas companies that recruit at that school.

Nevertheless, your better bet will always be TAMU or UT Austin. All other Petroleum Schools in the States come in at a distant third. http://sec.tamu.edu/Students/CareerFair/Search.aspx This link is a pretty good idea of the amount of Oil & Gas companies that actually attend their Career fair to recruit students. Another relatively good school in the states that I haven't seen a mention of is the University of Tulsa.

In addition, producing companies aren't the only option you have. There are loads of Vendor, EPC, and Servicing Companies I would advise anyone to consider. Exercise some flexibility and familiarize yourself with many of the companies in the Oil and Gas Industry. Rigzone.com and the Offshore Technology Conference are pretty good references.

3 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Repubocrat(m): 9:33pm On Jun 06, 2012
You can even download a free app that includes all the companies that attend OTC on your smart phone. http://www.otcnet.org/2012/pages/about/index.php It's actually quite useful.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 12:03am On Jun 07, 2012
Repubocrat: You can even download a free app that includes all the companies that attend OTC on your smart phone. http://www.otcnet.org/2012/pages/about/index.php It's actually quite useful.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by 2sexy(m): 12:07am On Jun 07, 2012
Repubocrat: You can even download a free app that includes all the companies that attend OTC on your smart phone. http://www.otcnet.org/2012/pages/about/index.php It's actually quite useful.
thanks for info. I'm finding it hard to get a school in the US to do my Postgraduate diploma. Do you have a link or an idea where I could have it?
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Repubocrat(m): 11:47am On Jun 07, 2012
2sexy: thanks for info. I'm finding it hard to get a school in the US to do my Postgraduate diploma. Do you have a link or an idea where I could have it?

I am not aware of any school that offers a Postgraduate diploma in the states, but I do recall Texas Tech University having a Graduate certificate in Petroleum Engineering. http://www.depts.ttu.edu/pe/students/grad/curriculum.php However, I highly doubt any school would grant admission to an international student intending on pursuing a Graduate Certificate as opposed to a Masters or Phd.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 07, 2012
tanimola22: Hi House Members, Good evening to all of you!

Someone recently told me that the[b] yearly[/b] take home pay of an entry level engineer [/b]working for [b]Total Nigeria is 11 Million Naira. I know that Shell pays 6 Million Naira per year, but I find it difficult to believe that Total pays that much.

House, please tell me what you know. I will be happy to be apprised. Let the debate start, abeg.

Thanks.
. I was kind of like in a dreamland going through all the posts from the beginning to now. I strongly believe that the easiest way to get in is still through the keenly contested recruitment processes for trainees. I mean just with your ordinary B.sc Pali. What's the point of spending almost E20k on Msc abroad when you can get in with your ordinary Bsc. Unless Ofcourse you didn't make a 2.1 or above. I am speaking strictly for entry level positions. I know the 2.2 forces one to get a foreign degree just to at least get an audience with these coys in this very competitive times but I ve heard stories of guys getting in with a 2.2. I think the a very pertinent question is How do guys who finished with a 2.2 in sciences or engineering chart their way into the MNOCs in Nigeria? What are their realistic prospects? Real life experiences needed.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by SefB(f): 4:28pm On Jun 07, 2012
tanimola22:

There is really no problem. Just be sure to let them know that you have a sponsor who is a very capable individual and not a company. If they see your one year work experience, they should know that you don't have big money yet. Don't omit the only connection you have with oil and gas. Include your work experience.

Just make sure you have all the documents ready before November. Then apply as soon as the application comes out. If you prove that funding your education is not a problem and they make you an offer, then you are in.

Meanwhile, based on a very generous permission granted by a nice guy, below is an email you will get after you have attended and succeeded in the IFP interview. It is an old email, but I would like to use it to illustrate what you should expect.
*****************************************************************************************************
Dear applicant,

The jury will be held at IFP School on May, 15th. In order to update the information regarding your application form, I would like you to send me as soon as possible the latest news regarding:

- TOEFL/GRE/GMAT Score (Please remember that for CSM we need a GRE and a TOEFL, for OU a TOEFL and a GMAT, for TAMU a GRE and a TOEFL and for the other partner university a TOEFL (>80) or a IELTS).

- Partner University choice

- Financing of your education

- Date of your latest degree

For the professionals, please tell me which schedule is preferable for you : starting in the partner University in September and joining IFP School in January or starting at IFP School in January and joining the Partner University in September.

Best Regards

Director, IFP
***********************************************************************************

Now, once you answer that you have no money to support yourself, you are out. On the other hand, they will make you an offer if you tell them a sweet story of how you are more than capable of funding yourself. This is the last hurdle of the admissions process.

I follow you to hope that you get to this level come 2013.

T22.

Thank you T22,

Can the person be generous enough to let me know what the interview is like?
Thank ou
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 08, 2012
T22 and others,
I don't know if you are aware of a recent total graduate recruitment this year. I am informed that graduate internship programme at total started on the 4th June. A friend of my who read a non-engineering course just started. I think the application was via an unsolicited application in their website.
I also have another friend of mine who submitted a job application in total website that was called for test and interview for the total scholarship in ifp france. He is presently in France doing his masters in reservoir engineering.
Sometimes, getting into the oil and gas industry is just sheer luck - God's favour if I may say.

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by TENDON: 1:05am On Jun 09, 2012
@x-fire: The graduate internship programme(for Total Nig Plc i.e. Downstream) was initially scheduled to commence June 4, but it has been put on hold for now. I cald d HR person in charge to find out. Some of the guys who shud be on the prog havent evn done medicals. I wud lik ur friend to re-affirm his claims if he's dat sure.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 1:41am On Jun 09, 2012
Donxavier: . I was kind of like in a dreamland going through all the posts from the beginning to now. I strongly believe that the easiest way to get in is still through the keenly contested recruitment processes for trainees. I mean just with your ordinary B.sc Pali. What's the point of spending almost E20k on Msc abroad when you can get in with your ordinary Bsc. Unless Ofcourse you didn't make a 2.1 or above. I am speaking strictly for entry level positions. I know the 2.2 forces one to get a foreign degree just to at least get an audience with these coys in this very competitive times but I ve heard stories of guys getting in with a 2.2. I think the a very pertinent question is How do guys who finished with a 2.2 in sciences or engineering chart their way into the MNOCs in Nigeria? What are their realistic prospects? Real life experiences needed.

Yes I know a number of 2-2 grads that got job in oil companies @ entry level, Schlum specifically. Well I think it's a combination of luck and being able to prove oneself when given the rare opportunity. Not sure Shell, Chevron and others relax the 2-1 and above rule, but maybe oil servicing and independents do. And of course, after entry into the industr, class of degree has limited use in moving within the industry as experienced hire. Plus, if you are able to get in as entry level with 2-2, try do your Msc/MBA asap so your first degree becomes less relevant in moving on. The 2-2 lucky guy I knew in Schlum was affected by a lay-off less than 2 years after, but I don't know whether it was due to performance or qualification.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 10:33am On Jun 09, 2012
Jarus:

Yes I know a number of 2-2 grads that got job in oil companies @ entry level, Schlum specifically. Well I think it's a combination of luck and being able to prove oneself when given the rare opportunity. Not sure Shell, Chevron and others relax the 2-1 and above rule, but maybe oil servicing and independents do. And of course, after entry into the industr, class of degree has limited use in moving within the industry as experienced hire. Plus, if you are able to get in as entry level with 2-2, try do your Msc/MBA asap so your first degree becomes less relevant in moving on. The 2-2 lucky guy I knew in Schlum was affected by a lay-off less than 2 years after, but I don't know whether it was due to performance or qualification.
. What I infer from your response is the importance of a masters degree in today's cut throat competitive world. In your opinion, Do you think it's better to go for your masters abroad if one has the opportunity immediately after one is through with one's first degree. It seems getting the masters is a given nowadays, at least when ascending up the corporate ladder.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by tanimola22: 10:47am On Jun 09, 2012
SefB:

Thank you T22,

Can the person be generous enough to let me know what the interview is like?
Thank ou

Hey baby, cool down small now. You really want to make this millions sharp sharp O..

Get invited for interviews first now. You have not even applied for a place sef. hahha

Okay, I will try to gather the interview questions and then let you know. But this may take time.

T22
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by KayDee4: 3:20pm On Jun 09, 2012
Donxavier: . What I infer from your response is the importance of a masters degree in today's cut throat competitive world. In your opinion, Do you think it's better to go for your masters abroad if one has the opportunity immediately after one is through with one's first degree. It seems getting the masters is a given nowadays, at least when ascending up the corporate ladder.

If you have the opportunity to start immediately, I'll advise you get down to it ASAP, unless you're lucky to get a job in your area of specialization where you will gain relevant experience.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 10:11pm On Jun 09, 2012
Hi everyone,am a graduate of geology still serving though, but I wanna go for my masters in petroleum geology that's what have always wanted, but my dad called me yesterday saying I have to go for petroleum economics, I don't really know much about the course and how fast I can get a job with an m.sc in petroleum economics, tried convincing him but he remain adamant and won't finance any other course except this. How lucrative is the course, what n what does it entails, is there any graduate of petroleum economics in the house that can put me through. Cause I don't want to waste my time studying a course that will be useless in the long run. thks
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by KayDee4: 12:21am On Jun 10, 2012
kweeneve: Hi everyone,am a graduate of geology still serving though, but I wanna go for my masters in petroleum geology that's what have always wanted, but my dad called me yesterday saying I have to go for petroleum economics, I don't really know much about the course and how fast I can get a job with an m.sc in petroleum economics, tried convincing him but he remain adamant and won't finance any other course except this. How lucrative is the course, what n what does it entails, is there any graduate of petroleum economics in the house that can put me through. Cause I don't want to waste my time studying a course that will be useless on the long run. thks

Petroleum economics is good and won't be useless in the long run smiley but I don't understand why your dad will force you to do something that's against your wish. Anyway, there's a program I know that comes close to a combination of both areas of interest (Petroleum Geology and Petroleum Economics) : The Earth and Energy Resources program at the Jackson School of geosciences, UT Austin; but getting into that school is so frigging competitive. I also think one of Alberta or Calgary in Canada has something similar to that. Look up these 3 schools to see the degrees they offer and structure of their programs, search for other schools too i'm sure you will find programs that will give you a mix of both areas.

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 1:09am On Jun 11, 2012
Kay-Dee:

Petroleum economics is good and won't be useless in the long run smiley but I don't understand why your dad will force you to do something that's against your wish. Anyway, there's a program I know that comes close to a combination of both areas of interest (Petroleum Geology and Petroleum Economics) : The Earth and Energy Resources program at the Jackson School of geosciences, UT Austin; but getting into that school is so frigging competitive. I also think one of Alberta or Calgary in Canada has something similar to that. Look up these 3 schools to see the degrees they offer and structure of their programs, search for other schools too i'm sure you will find programs that will give you a mix of both areas.
thanks I really appreciate. Will check out the schls.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by sadyeek(m): 10:37am On Jun 16, 2012
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by sadyeek(m): 10:37am On Jun 16, 2012
[size=14pt]Wow! I some times see t22 at the bottom of posts in other section, I never knew he is such a helper. Man, I admire your work. Keep it up.

I don't have time to go through the whole pages but just the last few, noticed most of the people paticipating are either in chemical, petroleum, geology or other closely related fields.

I want to inquire about, someone who studied BSc mechanical engineering, what is the best oftion for masters in the US. I personaly, MSc in marine engineering is a nice idea, but I also want something related to gas! So my question is, do you have an idea of a MSc programme that blends this two together, what areas are best for mechanical engineer to futher his study and if there are any marine engineers that are experienced can you share with us.
Thank you
[/size]
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by kristofa09(m): 8:21pm On Jun 16, 2012
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by eonaiviv: 5:08pm On Jun 20, 2012
Hi T22,

I c this thread seems 2 favour jst the engineers bt c'mon, how abt we non-engineers. I wud also rily love 2 work in an oil comp (or shipping comp as second choice) bt dont knw hw 2 go at it. Total is actually my dream comp and that y im learning french. I'm female, 25 years of age Biochemistry 2:2. doing masters now in NOUN (know its nt comparable 2 u guyz doing in canada nd d rest), abt 2 commence a certificate Project Leadership training in Cornell University (ecornell). Have HSE 1 & 2 for an SPDC ACCREDITED training centre. Have 3 years plus experience in facility management in an estate mgt company. A member of pmi and nim.

Pls where do i go from here?

Im a lil bit desperate nw. Dont wnt 2 get 2 old oh!

SHUD I SEND MY HARD COPY CV EVERYWHERE?

1 Like

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jun 20, 2012
eonaiviv: Hi T22,

I c this thread seems 2 favour jst the engineers bt c'mon, how abt we non-engineers. I wud also rily love 2 work in an oil comp (or shipping comp as second choice) bt dont knw hw 2 go at it. Total is actually my dream comp and that y im learning french. I'm female, 25 years of age Biochemistry 2:2. doing masters now in NOUN (know its nt comparable 2 u guyz doing in canada nd d rest), abt 2 commence a certificate Project Leadership training in Cornell University (ecornell). Have HSE 1 & 2 for an SPDC ACCREDITED training centre. Have 3 years plus experience in facility management in an estate mgt company. A member of pmi and nim.

Pls where do i go from here?

Im a lil bit desperate nw. Dont wnt 2 get 2 old oh!

SHUD I SEND MY HARD COPY CV EVERYWHERE?

I'm not an engineer.
The problem though is that non-engineers are limited in terms of opportunities to work in oil companies in Nigeria. You could try but it would be a really long shot.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Jarus(m): 7:57am On Jun 21, 2012
Hey David,
I saw your 'love letter' in my blog. Check your yahoo email.

T22,
Pls shoot me an email. Got something we need to discuss asap.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ola6: 10:42am On Jun 21, 2012
Jarus, Debosky, Tanimola, Ajanlekoko,Davidlyan and my other mentors,

If you guys can remember, I was here last month to solicit for some advise regarding two MSc programs. Well, I thank the ALMIGHTY GOD for HIS mercies endures forever! May HIS NAME be praised forever and ever, AMEN!

I ended up with a First class to HIS Glory, not my glory! And not just a First class but a VERY GOOD First class result! Father God, thank you!

I am still thinking of what to do. . . . may God bless you guys for ever gracious words of inspiration. Amen!

2 Likes

Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by ola6: 10:57am On Jun 21, 2012
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 21, 2012
Jarus: Hey David,
I saw your 'love letter' in my blog. Check your yahoo email.

lol i saw your response. No offense intended. Pele.
Re: Total Oil And Gas Workers by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jun 21, 2012
ola@:
Jarus, Debosky, Tanimola, Ajanlekoko,Davidlyan and my other mentors,

If you guys can remember, I was here last month to solicit for some advise regarding two MSc programs. Well, I thank the ALMIGHTY GOD for HIS mercies endures forever! May HIS NAME be praised forever and ever, AMEN!

I ended up with a First class to HIS Glory, not my glory! And not just a First class but a VERY GOOD First class result! Father God, thank you!

I am still thinking of what to do. . . . may God bless you guys for ever gracious words of inspiration. Amen!

Congrats!!! smiley

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (36) (Reply)

ICAN May 2023 Diet Exam - Let's Meet Here / 2022 Access Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment Has Been Extended / How Can An Employee Write A Letter To Ask For Leave To Write An Exam?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.