Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,711 members, 7,879,107 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 12:39 PM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (590) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (561072 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) ... (614) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Teedol: 11:51pm On Jun 11
Digressing from politics;

Kindly put me through on procedures to follow in going on an holiday in Turkey, what are the visa procedures? learnt visa upon arrival dosent work for Nigerian passport/BRP holders, thanks in advance.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Christabeliciou: 3:12am On Jun 12
Ok thanks for your response Cyberknight

Cyberknight:

You can get a job and sponsorship in any field.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Christabeliciou: 3:21am On Jun 12
Lots of laughs. Alright ReesheesuKnack thanks

ReesheesuKnack:

You can apply, and get another sponsorship in ANY field of your choice. ANY field at all, provided you meet the requirements.
For example, if Barclays Bank wishes to give you a new sponsorship, that’s fine.
If No 10 Downing Street advertises for a Special Adviser to Rishi Sunak and you meet the requirements and they have sponsor license, they can sponsor.
If an Indian restaurant wishes to employ you as a Sous chef, and the my have license… cool.

Heck, you can even work on the railways provided your employer has sponsorship licence.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 4:29am On Jun 12
missjekyll:

But what capital? They are using every loopholes to evade taxes. Money in offshore companies,factories in Asia.

What are we losing in real terms?

Well that's the reality for business. They are not charities and if the business environment does not favour them, they move, more people lose their jobs, no more tax revenues, towns go into decline, etc.

I am not anti-tax, I am pro reasonable and well thought out taxation. There is always a disadvantage or opportunity costs( effects of which are not always measurable) to these things. It might look like a win for govt revenues in the short term but it might hurt long term. A lot of these taxes don't even hurt the rich people you so much want to get money from, it's the working people it affects the most.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 5:19am On Jun 12
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 5:33am On Jun 12
Lexusgs430:

Have you asked the teachers, they would willingly volunteer this information.........

Just book an appointment ........

Okay thanks, we'll explore that option next week.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 7:08am On Jun 12
Zahra29:

This applies if a visa is revoked before its expiration. In other cases, an individual will automatically become an overstayer if they do not renew or switch their visa before it expires, Home Office will not send reminders or official notices.

Quite right - I stand corrected.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 7:19am On Jun 12
deept:

Well that's the reality for business. They are not charities and if the business environment does not favour them, they move, more people lose their jobs, no more tax revenues, towns go into decline, etc.

I am not anti-tax, I am[b] pro reasonable and well thought out taxation[/b]. There is always a disadvantage or opportunity costs( effects of which are not always measurable) to these things. It might look like a win for govt revenues in the short term but it might hurt long term. A lot of these taxes don't even hurt the rich people you so much want to get money from, it's the working people it affects the most.

Agreed.
The problem is determining what is reasonable and well-thought out in any situation.

In Scotland's case, I think the right-wing papers whipped up a lot of sentiment there, because the actual money forecast to be raised from the adding of an additional tax band isn't much in the wider scheme of things, affects a small percentage of the population and the differential between their tax bills in RUK as opposed to Scotland is up to £6k for the highest tax band £150k and above, and not many people, who are likely to be homeowners and established in their places of residence, will up and sell homes or otherwise leave. Perception is everything though, and it might deter some people from moving to Scotland, or make them ask for higher pay.

And I think the Scottish govt has one more tax band at the lower end of the scale which reduces things a little for those on that pay level.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by T2SSpace(f): 7:21am On Jun 12
Greetings to you all,

Don't get overwhelmed with tasks, get reliable support to streamline your operations. I am a seasoned virtual assistant and I offer the following services-
•Admin Support
•Bookkeeping
•Customer Support
•Cold and Warm Calling
•Email and DM Management
•Website and Blog Management
•Calendar Management
•Nigerian Passport (New & Renewal)
•Flight Booking (Local & International)

Why Choose Me?
Proven expertise and positive client reviews
Efficient and timely task completion
High-quality customer support
Reliable on-time delivery
24/7 availability for your needs

Let’s connect and discuss how I can help you achieve your individual and business goals.

Call/WhatsApp- 08070730373
officialt2sspace@gmail.com

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Tolzeal(m): 7:54am On Jun 12
missjekyll:

Awwwww, you noticed. Yes , I did change. It's been 4 years and I ve now fully grown into my skin.
Personal growth is awesome and I recommend it to everyone.

If your Buy to let bought with hardearned money is used to push the price of houses ,push up rent, worsen urban drift because young people cannot buy houses. Literally delay people's lives because they cannot get married,have kids because no space? Then I will support a heavy tax on it as a deterrent.
Some things should not be run like businesses. Housing is one of them,health is another.

It doesn't even grow the economy because nobody is doing business just buying up houses and tying up money for decades. It's the small small taxes from millions of tiny transactions that keep the economy ticking over.

There is also a need to understand most of the house bought are run down houses which often people don't want to live in. These investors put in there money, clean the house up, add value and refinance in most cases.

Heck, some of these run down houses are stamp duty except.

So would you still want the government increase rate on such business model?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by BouharryArtikou: 8:12am On Jun 12
missjekyll:

Awwwww, you noticed. Yes , I did change. It's been 4 years and I ve now fully grown into my skin.
Personal growth is awesome and I recommend it to everyone.

If your Buy to let bought with hardearned money is used to push the price of houses ,push up rent, worsen urban drift because young people cannot buy houses. Literally delay people's lives because they cannot get married,have kids because no space? Then I will support a heavy tax on it as a deterrent.
Some things should not be run like businesses. Housing is one of them,health is another.

It doesn't even grow the economy because nobody is doing business just buying up houses and tying up money for decades. It's the small small taxes from millions of tiny transactions that keep the economy ticking over.

Problem is, there is a very very thin line between hypocrisy & ‘I have changed’
I can imagine the uproar that will come from you, if the Nigeria government decides to impose a 70-80% tax on every single naira you have (or will) earn in profit from the Treasury Bills you purchased back in the day.
Remember those landed property you purchased? if the Enugu or Anambra or Ekiti or Ebonyi state government decides to impose an 80% tax and increase the ground rent by 150% will you applaud them?

By the way, how dare you buy lands with your money when lots of your neighbours can’t afford to buy a 20sqM plot? How dare you buy treasury bills with your hard earned money and make profits from it when mama Nkiru at Ochanja market cannot afford to buy food? How dare you buy an extra shoe with your hard earned money when papa Akinlade next door cannot afford N1,000 for typhoid & malaria test ?

Since you have changed, maybe it’s a good time to sell all that you have purchased with your hard earned money, give your state government (in nigeria) the money to distribute to people who don’t own their houses or who have no clothes or who cannot afford hospital bills.

25 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 8:15am On Jun 12
Cyberknight:

Agreed.
The problem is determining what is reasonable and well-thought out in any situation.

In Scotland's case, I think the right-wing papers whipped up a lot of sentiment there, because the actual money forecast to be raised from the adding of an additional tax band isn't much in the wider scheme of things, affects a small percentage of the population and the differential between their tax bills in RUK as opposed to Scotland is up to £6k for the highest tax band £150k and above, and not many people, who are likely to be homeowners and established in their places of residence, will up and sell homes or otherwise leave. Perception is everything though, and it might deter some people from moving to Scotland, or make them ask for higher pay.

And I think the Scottish govt has one more tax band at the lower end of the scale which reduces things a little for those on that pay level.

True, those well established will stay and take the hit on the chin. But it doesn't help when a minister can expense £11000 as internet roaming fees (goodness knows what other things they expense that does not make public) and it is ok as well as a decline of public service. Who will lose, maybe the local restaurant, maybe less family trips/holidays, as subjects will have to adjust to new realities which in turn impacts the local economy.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lefty500: 9:08am On Jun 12
Morning guys, please I need people with experience to answer my question.

I work as a Data analyst for the Ambulance section of the HSCNI, can I apply for IHS refund, please note I got employed through a recruitment agency, so my payslip carries the name of the recruiter not the that of HSCNI.

Thanks.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 9:13am On Jun 12
BouharryArtikou:

I can imagine the uproar that will come from you, if the Nigeria government decides to impose a 70-80% tax on every single naira you have (or will) earn in profit from the Treasury Bills you purchased back in the day.
Remember those landed property you purchased? if the Enugu or Anambra or Ekiti or Ebonyi state government decides to impose an 80% tax and increase the ground rent by 150% will you applaud them?

By the way, how dare you buy lands with your money when lots of your neighbours can’t afford to buy a 20sqM plot? How dare you buy treasury bills with your hard earned money and make profits from it when mama Nkiru at Ochanja market cannot afford to buy food? How dare you buy an extra shoe with your hard earned money when papa Akinlade next door cannot afford N1,000 for typhoid & malaria test ?

Since you have changed, maybe it’s a good time to sell all that you have purchased with your hard earned money, give your state government (in nigeria) the money to distribute to people who don’t own their houses or who have no clothes or who cannot afford hospital bills.

Good gracious. A very Damascene conversion.

In her defence, she has now seen the light.

But while she's right about the effects of the UK's unbridled housing market, I don't think taxing second homes (BTLs) is the way to go. A combination of demand-dampening approaches, including unloosening planning rules to make building [social] homes on brownfield easier, banning non-residents from buying property (No government of any stripe has proposed that, because it works in their favour, with all their offshore registered investment vehicles and so forth), building more social homes and keeping them in public ownership, etc. would work better.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 9:18am On Jun 12
deept:

True, those well established will stay and take the hit on the chin. But it doesn't help when a minister can expense £11000 as internet roaming fees (goodness knows what other things they expense that does not make public) and it is ok as well as a decline of public service. Who will lose, maybe the local restaurant, maybe less family trips/holidays, as subjects will have to adjust to new realities which in turn impacts the local economy.

Agreed, again. But we all know that the politicians throw public money about on all sides of the border irrespective of the tax burden, and corruption is part of public life. Again, you're right regarding the possible knock-on effects on the rest of the economy. And I do think that the Scottish government is wasting money on subsidies like free prescriptions and free bus transport for people up to 22.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:25am On Jun 12
BouharryArtikou:

You do this one. The Internet never forgets.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 10:12am On Jun 12
Cyberknight:

Agreed.

It's to pander to the 'tax the rich' liberal crowd. Borne out of a sense of entitlement and jealousy.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 10:13am On Jun 12
[quote author=BouharryArtikou post=130430941]

You are not a very nice somebody
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:26am On Jun 12
missjekyll:

How about tactical voting? Vote for the most likely to win that's not tory

https://tacticalvote.co.uk/

I like the concept of this website. Brilliant idea by the Labour campaign folks.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:36am On Jun 12
missjekyll:

I ll support 2 times whatever they are proposing. Millennials like me and Gen z cannot afford even 1 house and you have 2? Tax it till the pips squeak. It's a basic human need not a business opportunity

Lol. You know I ll always support a wealth tax. Everybody should pay tax. Small fish fetch small firewood, big fish fetch big firewood.

Last time I checked, I pay lesser in taxes than my Director who earns higher.
Last time I checked, I paid lesser taxes for my Ltd company, compared to the millions Nadhim Zehawi paid for his company.
Last time I checked, you, missjekyll pays lesser tax than your very senior colleague who earns more than you.
I am sure that Gary Lineaker pays more taxes than Micah Richards because Gary earns more. Isn’t that the definition of small selfish fetching small firewood?

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:38am On Jun 12
Jamesclooney:

Is the 14-day grace period automatic? The BRP has expired and same confirmed on govt website. The school is asking for the outstanding fees to initiate the student visa extension (new CAS etc.) pending final dissertation results

No it's discretionary - there needs to be a good reason why the application was not made in time - but possible.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Jamesclooney: 11:41am On Jun 12
Zahra29:

No it's discretionary - there needs to be a good reason why the application was not made in time - but possible.

No cogent reason ooo. The report just came to me after the deadline. At this point, over to immigration lawyers. Sad situation all round embarassed
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:41am On Jun 12
Lefty500:
Morning guys, please I need people with experience to answer my question.

I work as a Data analyst for the Ambulance section of the HSCNI, can I apply for IHS refund, please note I got employed through a recruitment agency, so my payslip carries the name of the recruiter not the that of HSCNI.

Thanks.

I honestly think it’s all about making an application and seeing how it goes. The worst answer you can receive is a rejection.
This country likes evidence. Submit your payslips. Submit any other relevant documents that shows you work in the Heath & care sector. You probably have an ID card. Or some email communication or something.

Remember, you don’t ask; you don’t get.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:43am On Jun 12
Cyberknight:

Good gracious. A very Damascene conversion.

In her defence, she has now seen the light.

But while she's right about the effects of the UK's unbridled housing market, I don't think taxing second homes (BTLs) is the way to go. A combination of demand-dampening approaches, including unloosening planning rules to make building [social] homes on brownfield easier, banning non-residents from buying property (No government of any stripe has proposed that, because it works in their favour, with all their offshore registered investment vehicles and so forth), building more social homes and keeping them in public ownership, etc. would work better.

💯

Some governments such as NZ that are facing a similar housing crisis, have restricted foreign purchases of their housing stock...but alas this government is too addicted to Chinese, Russian (before the war) and Emirati money.

It was Thatcher who started the right to buy council homes (with a hefty discount on top) and while many low to middle income families benefited, it has arguably done more harm in the long run and needs to be discontinued, unless they are able to replace the council houses that are being sold off.

They also need more stringent checks on continued eligibility to rent council homes. It shouldn't automatically be a council home for life. If your circumstances change e.g. earnings and affordability, then the house should be given up to families that are more in need. The number of people continuing to rent council homes at a very low rate, while earning well and driving fancy cars ,- meanwhile some families are forced to live in hostels because there is no available council housing....vexes my soul to put it mildly.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ReesheesuKnack: 11:49am On Jun 12
Zahra29:

💯

Some governments such as NZ that are facing a similar housing crisis, have restricted foreign home purchases...but alas this government is too addicted to Chinese, Russian (before the war) and Emirati money.

It was Thatcher who started the right to buy council homes (with a hefty discount on top) and while many low to middle income families benefited, it has arguably done more harm in the long run and needs to be discontinued, unless they are able to replace the council houses that are being sold off.

That’s the reason why the incoming Labour government should build more houses. 🏘️ Build. More. Instead of demonising people who buy 2nd houses to rent out, the govt should build more houses. The demand for rented accommodation will fall. The millennials and GenZ will not have to rent.
But no. The solution is to make make profit, and riches a taboo word.

Over 2,000,000 people are on Long term sickness. The solution is not how to encourage (read: mandate/force) them into work. The solution is to tax people more. What type of sense is that?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 11:56am On Jun 12
BouharryArtikou:

#shrugs
I highly recommend personal growth to everyone. To you too atiku
I seem to have become even more humanist as I ve become more comfortable.

What else did I say?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 11:56am On Jun 12
ReesheesuKnack:

That’s the reason why the incoming Labour government should build more houses. 🏘️ Build. More. Instead of demonising people who buy 2nd houses to rent out, the govt should build more houses. The demand for rented accommodation will fall. The millennials and GenZ will not have to rent.
But no. The solution is to make make profit, and riches a taboo word.

Over 2,000,000 people are on Long term sickness. The solution is not how to encourage (read: mandate/force) them into work. The solution is to tax people more. What type of sense is that?

Successive governments since Thatcher have failed to build enough housing.

The government needs to :

- Build more truly affordable houses

- Limit access of foreigners to buy housing stock and/or impose a significant tax on property owned by non doms especially in high demand areas like London.(They've already introduced an empty home tax but probably need to go a bit further).

- Periodically review council home eligibility so that those who no longer need them can give them up to families who are more in need

- look at reforms in the rental market so tenants have more protection and feel more secure renting longer term.
In many parts of Europe, renting is the norm by choice because they have fairer policies that do not disadvantage renters. It's mainly in the UK where renting carries some type of stigma

- consider introducing a rent cap in certain areas

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 12:10pm On Jun 12
Jamesclooney:

No cogent reason ooo. The report just came to me after the deadline. At this point, over to immigration lawyers. Sad situation all round embarassed

Advise him to get a few consultations from different lawyers to decide the best strategy to go with. Some lawyers prey on situations like this and will recommend applications that they know will fail (and will ask for £2k upfront for their services).

He should also be open minded - for example getting a job offer in the UK but going back to Nigeria to apply for the visa, might be the best option. He should try his best not to overstay past 14 days as that will complicate any future applications.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Lefty500: 12:23pm On Jun 12
ReesheesuKnack:

I honestly think it’s all about making an application and seeing how it goes. The worst answer you can receive is a rejection.
This country likes evidence. Submit your payslips. Submit any other relevant documents that shows you work in the Heath & care sector. You probably have an ID card. Or some email communication or something.

Remember, you don’t ask; you don’t get.

Thanks. I will make the application, and let you know how it goes.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by deept(m): 1:34pm On Jun 12
Zahra29:

Successive governments since Thatcher have failed to build enough housing.

The government needs to :

- Build more truly affordable houses

- Limit access of foreigners to buy housing stock and/or impose a significant tax on property owned by non doms especially in high demand areas like London.(They've already introduced an empty home tax but probably need to go a bit further).

- Periodically review council home eligibility so that those who no longer need them can give them up to families who are more in need

- look at reforms in the rental market so tenants have more protection and feel more secure renting longer term.
In many parts of Europe, renting is the norm by choice because they have fairer policies that do not disadvantage renters. It's mainly in the UK where renting carries some type of stigma

- consider introducing a rent cap in certain areas

Lol.

If they do this, stamp duty o ti lo, extra stamina duty on second home o ti lo, landlord tax- those ones you pay at the council o ti lo, income tax on rent o ti lo. Do you know how the billions of pounds as tax revenue we will lose?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 2:14pm On Jun 12
deept:

Lol.

If they do this, stamp duty o ti lo, extra stamina duty on second home o ti lo, landlord tax- those ones you pay at the council o ti lo, income tax on rent o ti lo. Do you know how the billions of pounds as tax revenue we will lose?

smiley Stamp duty receipts will be replaced by less outgoings in the form of housing benefits, extra stamp duty on second homes receipts will be replaced by less outgoings in the form of housing benefits and tax on savings interest as erstwhile landlords save their capital in savings accounts or gilts, likewise for income tax on rent.

It's true that a huge chunk of the UK's economy is simply based on people selling houses to one another, with no real productive aspects, but that has huge societal downsides.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 2:22pm On Jun 12
A Nigerian psychiatric nurse, Kehinde Popoola, was just interviewed on Sky News ahead of tonight's debate in Grimsby.

He moved to the UK to study nursing in 2000 and spoke about how NHS services and standards have declined since 2003 when he started working in the NHS,and particularly in the last government.

He is also a community leader and talked about the immigration issues that many people from Africa are currently facing and how they were exploited by people who brought them in (sounds like he was talking about care agencies). His fear is that the NHS "cannot absorb them all" and thousands will become illegal immigrants in the next few months.

(1) (2) (3) ... (587) (588) (589) (590) (591) (592) (593) ... (614) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 5

Viewing this topic: Ejid1, f4flakes(f), Jbloc, uchee(f)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.