Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,678 members, 7,878,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 10:42 AM

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) - Travel (593) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) (560966 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) (595) (596) ... (614) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 7:46pm On Jun 13
kumbhuru:

Why are you guys on this thread weird? What's wrong with my questions? Is UK that cold that it's affecting you people
Yeah, it's the cold. It will affect you too right from the airport.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by kumbhuru: 8:02pm On Jun 13
babajeje123:

Yeah, it's the cold. It will affect you too right from the airport.
You will be well, sooner or later
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by babajeje123(m): 8:15pm On Jun 13
kumbhuru:

You will be well, sooner or later
Tor grin
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:12pm On Jun 13
Whose watching the debate on itv1 now? Nigel Farage get wahala walai
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 9:44pm On Jun 13
ehizario2012:
Whose watching the debate on itv1 now? Nigel Farage get wahala walai

Lol Nigel, UK's Trump.

New YouGov poll says that Reform has now overtaken the Conservatives so he's resonating with a lot of people.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 9:56pm On Jun 13
Zahra29:

Lol Nigel, UK's Trump.

New YouGov poll says that Reform has now overtaken the Conservatives so he's resonating with a lot of people.

He's a hardliner.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 10:25pm On Jun 13
Zahra29:

Lol Nigel, UK's Trump.

At this rate he will soon overtake Labour and then things will really start to get interesting.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 10:55pm On Jun 13
Zahra29:

Lol Nigel, UK's Trump.

"I have never voted in my life, but this time I'm voting, and I am voting Reform. Though I don't like Farage because he's never been in one place. But I will vote for his party still"

Quoting my neighbour word for word. Farage has won many voters to his side in the past few days/weeks, so I am not surprised they have overtaken the Conservatives,
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by lavida001: 11:28pm On Jun 13
In Other News…

BREAKING: World Bank approves Nigeria's $2.25 billion loan request.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 12:40am On Jun 14
Cyberknight:

At this rate he will soon overtake Labour and then things will really start to get interesting.

Nigel Farage made a clear point of mocking the conservatives in his closing statement, reminding them that they were the second big party until today kindof...

But he clearly stated that he believes that Keir would be the next PM, and he wants to lead the opposition.

UK politics is quite intriguing, almost all the party reps at the debate tonight agreed that labour would produce the next PM. Kinda strange though, their level of objectivity and frankness is quite surprising.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 2:15am On Jun 14
lavida001:
In Other News…

BREAKING: World Bank approves Nigeria's $2.25 billion loan request.

EXCLUSIVE: Nigerian Lawmakers want urgent purchase of new aircraft for Tinubu, Shettima.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Strata1716: 6:45am On Jun 14
AKALAMAGBO:
Cool.. Nothing was written on cutting legal migration which evident Starmer might work around changing some Conservative Policies…

A lot was written about cutting legal migration and making locals take the jobs migrants do
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by danny34(m): 7:30am On Jun 14
Fraih:

Hi👋
Jumping on this too cos I have a similar question with that of the Op.
But mine is drawn towards the New entrant visa category. What's the minimum salary that can be sponsored for someone switching from Students Visa into Tier 2? *This is asides the NHS or healthcare sector*

Hi, thanks for the response. What if it is with a local authority? I currently have a part time role with a county council that the full time amount is 24k - 27k.

Does this qualify too?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 7:56am On Jun 14
danny34:

Hi, thanks for the response. What if it is with a local authority? I currently have a part time role with a county council that the full time amount is 24k - 27k.

Does this qualify too?

Depends on what you actually earn and what the salary threshold for your job is. If you work part-time, the actual salary you receive must be above the salary threshold for your occupation code in order for you to qualify for sponsorship

For instance, the minimum salary you can earn under the health and care category in the NHS is £23,200 for a full-time job (known as 1 FTE). If you are working part time, i.e. a percentage of the standard 37.5 hours a week - lets assume 30 hours a week, which is equivalent to 80% of 37.5 hours (which will be 0.8 FTE), - then your prorated annual salary would be 80% of £23,200, which is obviously less than the minimum salary so you can't be sponsored.

So you need to determine what your actual salary is and compare it to the minimum salary for your occupation code to give you an idea of whether you can be sponsored or not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/skilled-worker-visa-going-rates-for-eligible-occupations/skilled-worker-visa-going-rates-for-eligible-occupation-codes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:00am On Jun 14
Cyberknight:

No chance...although they are cutting into some of Labour's vote share.

Besides Nigel doesn't really want to overtake Labour. He wants power without the responsibility of governance (at least for now)
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 8:04am On Jun 14
Zahra29:

No chance...although they are cutting into some of Labour's voter share.

Besides Nigel doesn't really want to overtake Labour. He wants power without the responsibility of governance (at least for now)

Do you really think Farage doesn't want to sit in Number 10 and give orders to start making life difficult for everyone whose skin colour is less than pale pink, among other things? I'd disagree. Its the Ed Daveys and the Carla Whatever-Her-Name-Is of this election who know they will never have that power so they can shoot for the moon - Farage wants it and knows he can get it. I see Farage in a coalition by next election.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 8:10am On Jun 14
Cyberknight:

Do you really think Farage doesn't want to sit in Number 10 and give orders to start making life difficult for everyone whose skin colour is less than pale pink, among other things? I'd disagree. Its the Ed Daveys and the Carla Whatever-Her-Name-Is of this election who know they will never have that power so they can shoot for the moon - Farage wants it and knows he can get it. I see Farage in a coalition by next election.

He's never even managed to be elected as an MP despite 6 attempts I think, so I think his first goal is just to get a seat in parliament and enough Reform MPs to be the main opposition, and then his next ambition would be to become PM. He said as much in his speech when he announced he would be running
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 8:13am On Jun 14
Zahra29:

He's never even managed to be elected as an MP despite 6 attempts I think, so I think his first goal is just to get a seat in parliament and enough Reform MPs to be the main opposition, and then his next ambition would be to become PM[b][/b]. He said as much in his speech when he announced he would be running

You're agreeing with me now.
Farage wants to become PM, and he believes its likely to happen next parliament. If it happens now, he'd take it.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Fraih(f): 8:28am On Jun 14
Cyberknight:

Depends on what you actually earn and what the salary threshold for your job is. If you work part-time, the actual salary you receive must be above the salary threshold for your occupation code in order for you to qualify for sponsorship

For instance, the minimum salary you can earn under the health and care category in the NHS is £23,200 for a full-time job (known as 1 FTE). If you are working part time, i.e. a percentage of the standard 37.5 hours a week - lets assume 30 hours a week, which is equivalent to 80% of 37.5 hours (which will be 0.8 FTE), - then your prorated annual salary would be 80% of £23,200, which is obviously less than the minimum salary so you can't be sponsored.

So you need to determine what your actual salary is and compare it to the minimum salary for your occupation code to give you an idea of whether you can be sponsored or not.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/skilled-worker-visa-going-rates-for-eligible-occupations/skilled-worker-visa-going-rates-for-eligible-occupation-codes
Thank you for this.
I think if danny34 would also clarify if the role would be a full time role by the time he's rounding up his masters, it could give better context and if you can shed more light on that instance.
I'm also on a part time role with a LA and I know with the calculations above, the part time porated annual salary doesn't qualify for sponsorship.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by danny34(m): 9:03am On Jun 14
Fraih:

Thank you for this.
I think if danny34 would also clarify if the role would be a full time role by the time he's rounding up his masters, it could give better context and if you can shed more light on that instance.
I'm also on a part time role with a LA and I know with the calculations above, the part time porated annual salary doesn't qualify for sponsorship.

By October 1, I am transitioning to a full time role.

So, I am asking based on the full time role. I am only able to do 20 hours now because of my visa requirement.

So since the role in the health and care sector, can I be sponsored on the threshold 24 - 27k? Can at least wify join as dependant?

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by ehizario2012: 10:12am On Jun 14
Strata1716:

A lot was written about cutting legal migration and making locals take the jobs migrants do

It's just a gimmick to try and win elections. How many UK citizens want to work?
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by eraglory: 11:45am On Jun 14
Lexusgs430:

That's why I moved to Rochester...... Within 10 mile radius, we have about 8 grammar school's ........
good morning sir, pls can u kindly assist me with 10k to pay 12k by month end to buy food stuff to sustain me till when I'll be paid by month end, I'm on bended knees sir.

Please, come to my aid.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 1:00pm On Jun 14
ehizario2012:

It's just a gimmick to try and win elections. How many UK citizens want to work?

Answer: The vast majority

Unless the question is how many UK citizens want to work in roles that have a reputation for having difficult working conditions and relatively poor pay, such as care work.

2 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 2:36pm On Jun 14
LionInZion:

"I have never voted in my life, but this time I'm voting, and I am voting Reform. Though I don't like Farage because he's never been in one place. But I will vote for his party still"

Quoting my neighbour word for word. Farage has won many voters to his side in the past few days/weeks, so I am not surprised they have overtaken the Conservatives,

He said that to you, an immigrant. He felt comfortable enough to say that to you. I wonder why....🤔
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by missjekyll: 2:39pm On Jun 14
Zahra29:

He's never even managed to be elected as an MP despite 6 attempts I think, so I think his first goal is just to get a seat in parliament and enough Reform MPs to be the main opposition, and then his next ambition would be to become PM. He said as much in his speech when he announced he would be running

This is his 8th attempt. He ll win. Clacton is a far right stronghold.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Cyberknight: 3:29pm On Jun 14
danny34:

By October 1, I am transitioning to a full time role.

So, I am asking based on the full time role. I am only able to do 20 hours now because of my visa requirement.

So since the role in the health and care sector, can I be sponsored on the threshold 24 - 27k? Can at least wify join as dependant?

Yes, if your role for the local authority is on this list: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/health-and-care-visa-guidance-for-applicants/health-and-care-visa-guidance-accessible and on the national pay scale for the sector.

1 Like

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Advision: 4:45pm On Jun 14
missjekyll:

How do you get somebody on the waiting list for a knee replacement into work? Untreated anxiety ? Depression?

Until they are treated, it's wishful thinking

As it is not an immigrant issue, the political parties would rather sweep this one aside.

The average brit has an exceptionally large taste for "living" the good life. Even Ukraine with missiles and bombs raining down on them every week does not have 1 in 5 out of job and not looking for work.

Many of the young ones have a very strong sense of entitlement and no stress....and it's not just about care sector. Check the big4 consulting firms, many of their recruits are immigrants or 2nd, 3rd generation immigrants. Any sector where long gruelling hours or challenging situations arise, many of the young brits will leave the chat room. The older ones tend to have a different attitude to work, but the younger ones, most businesses will go bankrupt hiring them. That is the inconvenient truth.

I have seen someone who spent several weeks sick and returned to put in a request to travel on holiday. Even when he was working, he always emphasised that he has back pain and so could not work for long hours at his desk even when he was home. He never shows any concern as to how the company manages to pay him even when he is working the bare minimum.

3 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Noworries11: 5:53pm On Jun 14
Zahra29:

£23,200 as already advised.

However it would have to be an NHS health and care role to sponsor your dependents. Other care workers have been banned from adding their dependants.

If one has been a sponsored carer in the UK for over 2 years before the new sponsorship policies were enacted... would it affect me?
I mean, I plan to switch/change sponsor (same care) if the opportunity comes, would it affect my dependants? Must it also be NHS before I could add them?
We are here in the UK already.
Thank you
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:27pm On Jun 14
Advision:

As it is not an immigrant issue, the political parties would rather sweep this one aside.

The average brit has an exceptionally large taste for "living" the good life. Even Ukraine with missiles and bombs raining down on them every week does not have 1 in 5 out of job and not looking for work.

Many of the young ones have a very strong sense of entitlement and no stress....and it's not just about care sector. Check the big4 consulting firms, many of their recruits are immigrants or 2nd, 3rd generation immigrants. Any sector where long gruelling hours or challenging situations arise, many of the young brits will leave the chat room. [/b]The older ones tend to have a different attitude to work, [b]but the younger ones, most businesses will go bankrupt hiring them. That is the inconvenient truth.

I have seen someone who spent several weeks sick and returned to put in a request to travel on holiday. Even when he was working, he always emphasised that he has back pain and so could not work for long hours at his desk even when he was home. He never shows any concern as to how the company manages to pay him even when he is working the bare minimum.

These are massive and untrue generalisations. Or maybe it depends on where you live and work. It's similar to the generalisations Nigerians make when they attend certain universities and conclude that most Brits don't pursue further education - but if they visited the likes of Imperial, Kings and Warwick they would see a completely different picture.

In Financial Services for example, going through the city of London and canary wharf, most recruits are white Brits. Same applies in Law - ethnic minorities are still massively under represented, especially blacks, and especially in business facing functions versus technical roles, and I've noticed recently that the Chinese/HK are making up a higher proportion of immigrant intake.

Many companies, even the bigger ones, used the previous visa rules to drive wages down and pay less than would be expected for the role. Now that they are forced to pay a minimum £38,700 to sponsor overseas workers, they have chosen to pull those offers and instead recruit from the domestic workforce, because it no longer benefits them financially.

4 Likes

Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:30pm On Jun 14
Noworries11:

If one has been a sponsored carer in the UK for over 2 years before the new sponsorship policies were enacted... would it affect me?
I mean, I plan to switch/change sponsor (same care) if the opportunity comes, would it affect my dependants? Must it also be NHS before I could add them?
We are here in the UK already.
Thank you

No you won't be affected if you were on the health and care visa route before the rule change. You are still able to add your dependants if you switch sponsor and you are not restricted to the NHS.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by Zahra29: 7:33pm On Jun 14
Cyberknight:

You're agreeing with me now.
Farage wants to become PM, and he believes its likely to happen next parliament. If it happens now, he'd take it.

We're saying the same thing I suppose. Yes Farage wants to be PM. I don't believe he wants it now because it is a bit of a poisoned chalice at the moment with the way Tories have left things, but that's a moot point anyways cos he knows he can't win this election.
Re: Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) by LionInZion: 8:21pm On Jun 14
missjekyll:

He said that to you, an immigrant. He felt comfortable enough to say that to you. I wonder why....🤔

Not an immigrant. A white British

(1) (2) (3) ... (590) (591) (592) (593) (594) (595) (596) ... (614) (Reply)

Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 5

Viewing this topic: emandman, Lexusgs430, justwise(m), Goodenoch, Kunleop and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.