Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,155 members, 7,890,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 12:29 AM

Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos (22509 Views)

US Trains 85 Nigerian Women On Financial Independence / Chinese Govt To Loan Nigeria N80B For Abuja Light Rail / What Is The Zip Code For Lagos Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Baawaa(m): 4:29pm On Sep 29, 2011
Fashola we all c and no dat u hav gud starting,i pray u hav gud finishing!!
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 29, 2011
FASHOLA - You are great!!!!

I am very proud of YOU!!!

You are a man of your  words - a very rare commodity in Nigeria
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by chidexy(m): 4:39pm On Sep 29, 2011
This is great news for Lagos State residents. Tokunboh or no Tokunboh, it's laudable. Besides after refurbishment, nobody would know that the carriages aren't brand new. They are not taking it to the US to "wash" them only. Up to 40-60% of the cost of brand new carriages would thus be saved and that makes economic sense.

When the rail becomes operational and the project starts earning revenue, the operators could then order new carriages

Kudos to Fashola and his team in Lagos State
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Kolababa: 5:11pm On Sep 29, 2011
Sentiment apart, this what we are telling GEJ. Before he remove fuel subsidy that will raise the transportation cost, he should first of all solve the infrastructural problem like building and encouraging state governments to build the same. In countries where they are using this light rail, the fuel price is not their concern. If you like make petrol five hundred naira per litre, common man will not feel it because rail is there to take and there is constant elecricity in which my "I better pass my neighbour" would have be given an indefinite holiday."I better pass my neighbour" would have be given an indefinite holiday.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by nethacker(m): 5:13pm On Sep 29, 2011
this is a welcomed development. I still wonder why all other governors are blind 2 c this kind of development. that being said, fashola should put into consideration, the setting up of a maintenance management committee to handle the maintenance of the infrastructure and secondly SECURITY so that the "ONE CHANCE" guys won't be exploiting that avenue since they knw the train won't stop until it gets to the next station.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Wallie(m): 5:26pm On Sep 29, 2011
Kolababa:

Sentiment apart, this what we are telling GEJ. Before he remove fuel subsidy that will raise the transportation cost, he should first of all solve the infrastructural problem like building and encouraging state governments to build the same. In countries where they are using this light rail, the fuel price is not their concern. If you like make petrol five hundred naira per litre, common man will not feel it because rail is there to take and there is constant elecricity in which my "I better pass my neighbour" would have be given an indefinite holiday."I better pass my neighbour" would have be given an indefinite holiday.

+1

Being the federal government, his government should foot 60-70% of the infrastructure bill and the state governments should pay for the remaining 40-30% plus the cost of acquiring the rail cars. The state can follow a similar model like Lagos' PPP and pass the cost of the rail cars to private companies.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by kulutempa: 5:47pm On Sep 29, 2011
Wallie:

+1

Being the federal government, his government should foot 60-70% of the infrastructure bill and the state governments should pay for the remaining 40-30% plus the cost of acquiring the rail cars. The state can follow a similar model like Lagos' PPP and pass the cost of the rail cars to private companies.

I wish with all my soul that this can happen, but I have long come to the conclusion that the Federal government is nothing but a criminal enterprise whose sole aim is to siphon off as much of the country's wealth as possible into private pockets. As we speak, 74% of Nigeria's budget is for recurrent expenditure like public sector salaries and entitlements to Senators and Reps with only 26% for capital projects like the one you are advocating. Go figure.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Gbawe: 6:02pm On Sep 29, 2011
The argument about new or second hand is redundant. If there are no safety issues with second hand, then the option make sense for everyone involved including the end users i.e commuters. This is commendable. The "flower planter" continues to mock his shamelessly biased critics.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by GAR3TH(m): 6:05pm On Sep 29, 2011
Kolababa:

+1

IMO the federal government is not doing enough to help progressive states. When was the last time you heard of the federal government funding major capital projects in metropolitans. In reality they do give out federal grants but its literally chicken change compared to the scope of the projects. They should at least invest in the states that will actually benefit Nigeria. Like someone said, the feds should at least be involve in 50% of the projects in states like Lagos.

USA Federal grant to NYC rail transit for a portion of the 2010 fiscal year. Does not include the other Billions in grants in other sectors such as roads, education etc.

http://www.mta.info/mta/grant/

Why does Naija have to be different?
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 6:23pm On Sep 29, 2011
^^^ You are making sense. IMO, most of the FG projects are never completed. It will indeed be wise if the FG can help the[b]"progressive states"[/b] especially Lagos, Rivers and Delta.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by kunlekunle: 6:32pm On Sep 29, 2011
they are possibly refurbs.
my concern is our maintenance culture.
there shd be training for track team, signals most
hope its not another [oku eko]
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by kulutempa: 6:36pm On Sep 29, 2011
GAR3TH:

+1

IMO the federal government is not doing enough to help progressive states. When was the last time you heard of the federal government funding major capital projects in metropolitans. In reality they do give out federal grants but its literally chicken change compared to the scope of the projects. They should at least invest in the states that will actually benefit Nigeria. Like someone said, the feds should at least be involve in 50% of the projects in states like Lagos.

USA Federal grant to NYC rail transit for a portion of the 2010 fiscal year. Does not include the other Billions in grants in other sectors such as roads, education etc.

http://www.mta.info/mta/grant/

Why does Naija have to be different?

In answer to your question, I just came across an interesting statistic in the 2011 Nigerian Budget which shows just how lopsided our leaders thinking is, when it comes to investing in infrastructure.  Here is the link:
http://www.thenigerianvoice.com/nvnews/48097/1/n-assembly-passes-n4972-trillion-budget-for-2011.html

As you will note the allocation in the budget for the National Assembly is N232.74bn, while that for the Ministry of Works is N188.98bn.  The allocation for power is N99.07bn. This means we spend more on the National Assembly than on either infrastructure development or Power.   In fact we spend over twice as much on the National Assembly as we spend on Power.  Go figure.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 6:44pm On Sep 29, 2011
kunlekunle:

they are possibly refurbs.
my concern is our maintenance culture.
there shd be training for track team, signals most
hope its not another [oku eko]

Good line of thought.
It is a PP project. The private investors are/will be in-charge for the next 25yrs or so. Then, the State government will take over. As no know, no private investor wants to lose their investments. An example of this is the Lekki toll gates. The roads were rebuilt and are maintained by the PI sector, hence, the toll gate. The same will likely occur in this project. And hopefully, 25 yrs should be enough time for Nigerians to start electing sensible leaders!
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 6:47pm On Sep 29, 2011
@ The guy that was talking about Mainland-Island development and bias.

The blue line (I think) starts from the Mainland (near the Ogun state border) through to Festac, Yaba  (mainland) etc before stopping at Marina which is on the Island.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by footreja: 7:36pm On Sep 29, 2011
This is another reason why Tinubu governance was a minus for Lagos.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by dayokanu(m): 8:04pm On Sep 29, 2011
Another reason we would forever be grateful to [size=18pt]TINUBU[/size] for [size=18pt]IMPOSING[/size] Fashola on us.

We love ACN, we love [size=18pt]IMPOSITION[/size] of leaders
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Nobody: 8:48pm On Sep 29, 2011
What's an electronic transit system without uninterrupted power though?

They need to deal with that first. Imagine getting stuck on a train bridge (or dark subway?) because nepa took light.  grin
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 9:02pm On Sep 29, 2011
2buff:

They need to deal with that first. Imagine getting stuck on a train bridge (or dark subway?) because nepa took light.  grin
Haba! There are IPPs springing up all over the place. In fact, last month or so, he commissioned another 10MWs power plant.
Your concern is no big deal!
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Rhino4dm: 9:15pm On Sep 29, 2011
Was OBJ's presidential jet not tokumbo? How many of these foools have NOT used second hand cars?.

Those hypocrites sees nothing wrong in buying second cars and are here complaining about second train. Double standard at its peak.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by akbtunes: 9:22pm On Sep 29, 2011
tokunbo trains inspite of all ds train crashes in india china

Fashola for 3rd term all d same

Rhino.4dm:

Was OBJ's presidential jet not tokumbo? How many of these foools have NOT used second hand cars?.

Those hypocrites sees nothing wrong in buying second cars and are here complaining about second train. Double standard at its peak.
u go sabi book o, see logical reasoning lipsrsealed grin
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by daroz(m): 9:42pm On Sep 29, 2011
On a more serious note, I am beginning to think that lagos state is not a part of Nigeria, infact its a country of its own.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Koikoi(m): 9:55pm On Sep 29, 2011
Nigerians and hopes. Keep hoping on hope. I'm with you all the way that's why we have faith. Clap as much as you can. but one question, where are the rails?
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 10:22pm On Sep 29, 2011
Koikoi:

Nigerians and hopes. Keep hoping on hope. I'm with you all the way that's why we have faith. Clap as much as you can. but one question, where are the rails?

When Eko atlantic project started. People on this same forum started their usual pessimism (which is understandable, given the psychological trauma Nigerians suffered during the military era). Today, Lagos state has finished stage 1 of the project; the actual land reclamation. You can use google earth to see it from space if you want! cheesy wink

The same pessimists started their usual bruhaha when the BRT bus project started. Today Lagosians are loving the services these buses provide.

The same thing occurred when rebuilding lekki roads. . .I can go on and on.

You asked, "where are the rails?". Don't worry, you'll see it sooner than you think!! wink
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by Revolutnz: 10:44pm On Sep 29, 2011
Eko oni baje lai lai lai lai lai, Up Tinubu  kiss Up Fashola  kiss Up ACN  kiss At least, something good is coming out of my Naija, One love and God bless everyone that gave this guy BRF thumbs up, to all you bad belle people, God bless you too.I know deep down, you all wish all these developments are happening in your own backyard too, I sorry for you,  grin Cant wait for the commissioning next year (2012),
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by executinal(m): 10:50pm On Sep 29, 2011
Abeg lets give honour to whom honour is due to. I always see people criticize this man, but i have seen that so far so good he is the only visionary leader Nigeria have now. A visionary leader always see the future and plan ahead, just see how this man has really turn Lagos state to. BRT operation is just like European standard, now Light Rail Train, May GOD continue to use people like you to better Nigeria. If this Man can do this as a governor of Lagos state with the level of population, then if they give him Nigeria to lead he will surely deliver. I not youruba man but lets say the fact, whether Tokumbo or Fairly used he has tried. Keep up the good work FASHOLA you are the best cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by lagcity(m): 10:53pm On Sep 29, 2011
Even if we are to overlook all what Mr Fash is doing, we shouldn't overlook the legacy after he leaves office. Fashola has set a standard and it will be difficult for Lagosians to accept anything less, which means that the next governor of Lagos better not be a slacker. Things can only get better and better cool cool.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by ak47mann(m): 10:55pm On Sep 29, 2011
fashola is trying i respect his hard work at list cool
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by jason123: 11:02pm On Sep 29, 2011
2buff:

On the supply of electricity which is essential for the efficient operation of the rail system, Governor Fashola declared, "This project has been designed to supply its own electricity. We spent two and half years planning this project. We sought and found the best team, those who have done it successfully in other places of the world. Life is about planning and efficient management. We planned for the worst and we are hoping for the best".

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527166.32.html
http://www.tundefashola.com/archives/news/2010/11/28/20101128N01.html

http://www.tundefashola.com/archives/videos/2010/11/28/20101128V01.wmv
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by lagcity(m): 11:02pm On Sep 29, 2011
Honestly, the next governor of Lagos better not have any excuse not to take Lagos to even greater heights because Fashola has built the foundations.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by lagcity(m): 11:05pm On Sep 29, 2011
jason123:

On the supply of electricity which is essential for the efficient operation of the rail system, Governor Fashola declared, "This project has been designed to supply its own electricity. We spent two and half years planning this project. We sought and found the best team, those who have done it successfully in other places of the world. Life is about planning and efficient management. We planned for the worst and we are hoping for the best".

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-527166.32.html
http://www.tundefashola.com/archives/news/2010/11/28/20101128N01.html

http://www.tundefashola.com/archives/videos/2010/11/28/20101128V01.wmv
Jason, you are doing a great job with the info and the pictures. Without the pictures, some ppl would have turned this thread into another opportunity to gloat at the hardworking Governor.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by musiwa48: 11:11pm On Sep 29, 2011
stop complaining for the price they sold it, it is like a gift for the price they sold it., expect if lagos state claim something else.  mo mo cousin of the mayor. it is a give away price, and you should not complain. except if lagos  made up number.  my main problem is that it uses electricity.
Re: Hundreds Of Light Rail Trains Left Canada For Lagos by babaowo: 11:12pm On Sep 29, 2011
lagos is moving,s/w is moving,very soon it will link to s/w states lolz. Who can take s/w from ACN?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dangote’s Wealth Surges By $1.3 Billion In Three Weeks, Nears Senegal’s GDP / How Buhari's Victory Will Affect The Oil And Gas, Economy Sectors - The Guardian / Diamond Bank Cheques Will Become Invalid From March 1st 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.