Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,157 members, 7,890,920 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 01:02 AM

Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father (35891 Views)

Court Marriage Without Paying Bride Price / I Dated A Lady 9 Years Ago But Now Planning To Marry Her Step Sister, Should I? / Italian Lady Finds Her Biological Mum In Nigeria After 34 Years (Pics, Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2023
Any man can father a child with a woman. But not every man can be a father to a child.

All I have to say!

4 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by jjmk(m): 1:31pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Good morning mature men and women in the house. Please I need your help on this topic.

My Fiancee told me about how her biological dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant.

Her mum later married another man who adopted her as his child.

Now she's grown and I've proposed to her, I wanted to go for her official introduction and list collection.

Would it not be nice to hear the biological father's opinion? Should I just ignore the fact that the man is still alive and proceed with the marriage arrangement?

Although she said I should not bother about that, but this is Nigeria and as an Akwa Ibomite I don't think it's proper. Although she's against me trying to find out about the man's opinion. Should I care?

What can you say about this?

Note: she only told me that the man abandoned them, but what if it was her mum that actually took her away?

You are a true man. Go seek out her father and hear his own side of things. Women are so vindictive and it could just be that her mother has been lying to her.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by hosemujica: 1:32pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Good morning mature men and women in the house. Please I need your help on this topic.

My Fiancee told me about how her biological dad abandoned her and her mum after getting her mum pregnant.

Now she's grown and I've proposed to her, I wanted to go for her official introduction and list collection.

Would it not be nice to hear the biological father's opinion? Should I just ignore the fact that the man is still alive and proceed with the marriage arrangement?

Although she said I should not bother about that, but this is Nigeria and as an Akwa Ibomite I don't think it's proper. Although she's against me trying to find out about the man's opinion. Should I care?

Note: she only told me that the man abandoned them, but what if it was her mum that actually took her away?
Go and hear his side of the story.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by olaniyilukman(m): 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2023
virginprincess:
It is your financee who decides the people you should and shouldn't meet in her family,since she said meeting her biological father isn't necessary i think you should let it be,she must have a reason for saying that,afterall the father didn't play a significant role in her in life so i don't see a reason why you should be concerned for a man who didn't care about his family,i think you should go ahead with the father figure in her life,afterall it was a man like him that took them in when he abadon them so her step father has every right over her and he should be appreciated for all his effort,it is not easy to take care of another man's child especially when the useless father is alive.
your submission is very negative and it shows you have a very bitter taste for men, what of if her mother is the one that abandoned the father.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Babyboyforeal(m): 1:33pm On Jun 01, 2023
This is not a question u should be asking, in my tradition the bride price will pay to the father not the setpdad?

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by thinkmoney(m): 1:34pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

Dig everything u can dig before finally marrying her man. Just imagine in the future she has a child for u and run away with the child.
Meet the man, ask other family members questions. U can even go do little investigation where they grew up in. Marriage is that serious

The patriarch Abraham had is attendant make a laborious journey to a far country and do investigation before getting a wife for his son. It’s that important.
For your life, prestige, SAnity and future

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by casualobserver: 1:35pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

Avoid women from complicated families…especially those who do not have a relationship with or know their biological fathers. What the mother did to the father, the daughter will do to you. The mother has set a precedent that it is ok to take the children and alienate them from the father and allow another man to raise them. Don’t say you were not warned.

You think it won’t happen to you? Who is going to stop or talk sense into her when she decides to do same with you, is it her mother who took the children and alienated them from their father or the father who is absent from her life? Don’t forget every divorce started with “I love you”

If you want an idea of how your marriage will be look at the marriage of your parents and that of your potential spouse…history always repeats itself. It’s called learned behavior, but Nigerians call it generational curses.

If you want to marry a woman and the father is alive, that is the person that will rightfully grant you blessing to marry his daughter. If you go to another man for blessing, another man will give blessing for your own daughter. If there is a reason why you cannot go to the father for blessing or the father cannot walk her down the aisle then that is a red flag and a warning to run for your life and find another woman to marry.

The only reason why anyone other than the father should give blessing or give a woman out in marriage is that the father is dead. If you want peace and a fruitful marriage, listen to me. If a woman’s father is alive and she cannot bring her father to give you out in marriage, or says he doesn’t matter, she is not from a good home because it shows she has no respect for her father and will not respect you once she is married to you.

As far as the adopted father, only a stupid man will give his step daughter out in marriage when the father is alive. It is not his daughter to give out no matter if he has raised her. All this shows to me the step father, the mother and the daughter are not well brought up.

11 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Tingotoe: 1:35pm On Jun 01, 2023
satelliteDISH:

This is a very tough one.
The girls mother is very bitter. She has been nursing that bitterness all her life since she got pregnant. She doesn't want the man that got her pregnant and abandoned her to reap from the gains that come through the girl.
That is her revenge. To her, that is justice served.

To go see the biological father might not go down well with your mother in law and she will hate you for this.
Since your fiancee and her mother have disowned the man. They have acknowledged the step father as their father and husband, go and honour the step father with the necessary traditional items.

The biological father cannot come out of the blues and reap from where he didn't invest for over 20+ years of the girls life. It is an unfair trade.
I think this is very shallow and myopic thinking. Imagine someday a medical emergency happens to their children and they need a close biological relative 's anatomy to solve the problem. Is it to the step father who has no blood ties to the kids he goes to or what? Think far ahead

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Kobojunkie: 1:35pm On Jun 01, 2023
thinkmoney:
The patriarch Abraham had is attendant make a laborious journey to a far country and do investigation before getting a wife for his son. It’s that important.
For your life, prestige, SAnity and future
Stop lying! undecided

The servant made a decision as soon as the girl gave him water to drink from the well... the end. wink

2 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by nonny1212: 1:35pm On Jun 01, 2023
Tradition is tradition.. na the popsi right be that
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by complexstuffs(m): 1:36pm On Jun 01, 2023
virginprincess:
It is your financee who decides the people you should and shouldn't meet in her family,since she said meeting her biological father isn't necessary i think you should let it be,she must have a reason for saying that,afterall the father didn't play a significant role in her in life so i don't see a reason why you should be concerned for a man who didn't care about his family,i think you should go ahead with the father figure in her life,afterall it was a man like him that took them in when he abadon them so her step father has every right over her and he should be appreciated for all his effort,it is not easy to take care of another man's child especially when the useless father is alive.

There are always 2 sides to a story. Never judges. a situation without listening to the other side of the story. Learn to apply this in your life endeavours
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by emanobis(m): 1:37pm On Jun 01, 2023
My brother, you should try as much as possible to find out if her biological dad paid her mother's bride price; and if his biological dad paid for her mum's bride price, was d bride price returned after they were separated?

Now, my advice. If:
1. Her biological dad paid her mum's bride price and it wasn't returned after the separation, please it is very important you go see her biological dad and have a chat with him.
2. If the bride price was returned after separation and she got married to another man, try and confirm if after her mum married another man, was there any payment on her head since d man adopted her and who was the adoption agreement made with?

Remain blessed

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by olamilarks(m): 1:37pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

Patiently following, I'm in this situation also!
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by NestateHousing: 1:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
As couples,one of the key financial decisions you need to take to secure your future is to have an investment.

What is an investment?
An investment is an asset or item that is purchased with the expectation that it will generate income or appreciate in value in the future. The purpose of making an investment is to achieve long term financial goals,such as wealth accumulation, retirement savings or income generation.

To that effect,I am here to tell you that real estate investment is the best investment for couples!!

You can purchase a land and leave it without making imputes, without having to stress over it like everyday business and the best part? There are no losses!!
As you grow in marriage,so the value of the property will keep growing😁
There are enormous reasons why couples should invest in real estate or own a land.
They include;

-For the financial future of the couples(investing in the future): This is to make sure that you and your spouse grow financial and wax in wealth in the future. That your 1Million lying in the bank can turn into 3-5Million in 2 years!!

-For the future of your children: You can invest in real estate to secure the future of your children and set them up for life!! There are lots of couples purchasing lands that they plan to sell to sponsor their children to school or even buy in the name of their kids to set them up for life when they are of age! What are you waiting for??

There are too many stories of couples who were once financially buoyant but are now poor because they didn't take their financial life serious. Do not be counted as one of those who took poor financial decisions. Come and buy a land today and tank me later!!

For those who think you need to have all the money in the world before you can buy a land,that's not true. We have different offers that suits your pocket.
With an initial deposit of 350k you can you can become a land owner at our Azuka hills estate located at Ipo-Abara,PH.

Do not wait to buy land. Buy and wait!!

To get started send me a DM or text me on WhatsApp
0 8 1 3 0 0 3 7 1 0 6

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by 4realsexy: 1:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

The traditional rights is for the biolgical father and you can honour the stepfather with marriage proper....... But remember you will also be prone to your wife leaving you one day after little difficulties

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by pongwa(m): 1:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

to avoid stories later, meet her biological dad or threaten to quit the relationship. This will turn out to be a trap later on for you as your supposed wife could do the same to you if you don't do the necessary. My verdict don't go ahead with the marriage

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by mrmislim: 1:38pm On Jun 01, 2023
sisisioge:

You dey mind am? Na only deadbeats would refuse to step up to their responsibilities but still expect some respect.

Omo, I am shocked. Most of these people are so irresponsible with yamayama ego and rubbish demand for respect, even if they made mistake of inviting you, you should hide your face in shame or make the food choke them.

Coming to deliberate on a child you didn’t nurture. Wahala

5 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by josite: 1:39pm On Jun 01, 2023
Question is simple.who will you prefer to be reporting her to who.can call her and correct her and she will listen to .

Be wise pay to both father's.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Prechgold1180(m): 1:39pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

Nairaland is not a place for this kinda problem

Follow your heart my brother man

If you meet the father fine if you don’t it’s also fine
Remember tinubu is our president

Reserve money for the upcoming shege waiting

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jun 01, 2023
satelliteDISH:

The girls mother is very bitter. She has been nursing that bitterness all her life since she got pregnant. She doesn't want the man that got her pregnant and abandoned her to reap from the gains that come through the girl.

To go see the biological father might not go down well with your mother in law and she will hate you for this.
Since your fiancee and her mother have disowned the man. They have acknowledged the step father as their father and husband, go and honour the step father with the necessary traditional items.

The biological father cannot come out of the blues and reap from where he didn't invest for over 20+ years of the girls life. It is an unfair trade .
Mama's boy... How certain are u about the bold

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Talk2sukky(m): 1:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
I am yoruba and married to an akwa ibom woman. What i was told was that if the biological father had paid the bride price of the mother, He has every right to get her bride price.

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by oweniwe(m): 1:40pm On Jun 01, 2023
mrmislim:

You must be a deadbeat dad if you are even a dad at all, or an aspiring one, I don’t think you’ll be a responsible man to take care of your home and it is a pity, I pity your innocent children (future children) I have no right to conclude but I am concluding on your personality without regrets..... !

- I expected your tirade.

- Let me repeat again, the wedding/bride price.... IS JUST A FORMALITY.

- If the groom is interested in seeing the biological father, or he thinks it's just the right thing to do, after greetings, small talks and some drinks, what else remain? Nothing more. After the wedding, the groom doesn't have business with him again.

- If we are to turn it around... The groom mother is still alive somewhere, but the groom don't want his bride to see his mother at all for whatever reasons, WILL A SENSIBLE, PROSPECTIVE BRIDE BE COMFORTABLE WITH THAT KIND OF ARRANGEMENT? I understand that women like to dish out treatments that they themselves cannot and will never accept or imagine. That is why some women in that situation may be comfortable with their groom not getting to know their father. It's fine with them.

But if the tables are turned, except the man have something the woman cannot do without, she won't blink twice before discarding the relationship. CAN YOU APPROVE YOUR DAUGHTER TO MARRY A MAN WHO DOESN'T WHAT YOUR DAUGHTER TO KNOW HIS BIOLOGICAL MOTHER? You will be thinking... What kind of marriage will your daughter be getting herself into?

- So if the groom thinks it's best for him to see the man, it's not an abomination... If you see it as abomination, that is bitterness is pro max, it's not healthy. If the bitterness suits you like that, it's okay, no problem.

- But just for the purpose of the wedding, if the groom want to see the so called deadbeat father, let him be. After the wedding, anyhow the bride want to do her family relations, that's her business

There's nothing hard in that. All that strong worded reply you wrote is very unnecessary

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Joseph77200(m): 1:42pm On Jun 01, 2023
satelliteDISH:

The biological father cannot come out of the blues and reap from where he didn't invest for over 20+ years of the girls life. It is an unfair trade.

This isn't a good take on, women lie a lot and you can't judge an issue like this without hearing from both parties and what of if this narration was sold to the daughter and the son-in-law-to-be because the mother-in-law is trying to cover up some past event, what of it she ran away with the child and never let the real father has access till now? Let the guy go ahead and look for the real father that is the best to do.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by GoodbutBadguy: 1:42pm On Jun 01, 2023
Red flag🏴‍☠️ Think twice b4 you marry this babe shocked her mind has been poisoned by her mother. No matter what her biological father remain her father undecided Babes with this type of situation are highly influenced by their mother in marriage. I see you sharing the same faith with her biological father, may another man not father your children while you are alivegrin
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Nobody: 1:42pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:

If not for anything for the sake of clarity go and see the man and make ur girl go with u too. Never u take sides in family affairs like this. Always be the bigger man by being neutral and true to urself only. U are a man and u know how females behave when they get bitter with vengeance. Be a fvcking man about it

1 Like

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Josegun(m): 1:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
I dont know if this will get to the OP. Pls avoid that family, dont get your life complicated. Peace.
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by GboyegaD(m): 1:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Thank you all for your excellent contributions. Please note the following:

1. They said the man abandoned them, but what if it's not actually what happened, so let's not be emotional.

2. I'm not paying the bride price to the biological father, but there should be an understanding between both fathers at this point. because if the child was taken away from the man or if he had acted as a child then, both parents can come to an understanding so that my wife won't hurt any part of the tradition in the course of our marriage.

3. I know that my mother inlaw would be angry, but I still feel it's my right to know. What if something bad happens to my wife because she married in a way that violates her tradition (give Caeser things to Caesar)

4. I'm doing this for my fiancee not me, because as far as I've paid my bride price nothing can come to me, but if anything comes to my wife, it automatically affects me. So it's not just her and her mum's business.

Thank you as you put this thoughts into consideration as well.

Please excuse typos

Whose name does she bear? The father or the stepfather?

That said, I don't understand why you want to poke your nose into what isn't your business. If you want to know the man just for the sake of it, all good. You should work on your fiancee and make her see reasons why she should at least have interactions with her dad and that way, you both can start having interactions with him. However, your objective of wanting to go investigate is unnecessary. The daughter is who you are getting married to and that is the person you need be united with and concerned about and not the extended family.

Lastly, your belief is very key however, is she also having same beliefs about anything happening to her due to some family rituals? That is the important thing for your last point.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by luminouz(m): 1:43pm On Jun 01, 2023
Micheal56:
Please get this clear
Your father is the one that take care of u not the one who gave birth to you
What a load of simp-thrash!!!😡
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by complexstuffs(m): 1:44pm On Jun 01, 2023
MetaBroadband:
Thank you all for your excellent contributions. Please note the following:

1. They said the man abandoned them, but what if it's not actually what happened, so let's not be emotional.

2. I'm not paying the bride price to the biological father, but there should be an understanding between both fathers at this point. because if the child was taken away from the man or if he had acted as a child then, both parents can come to an understanding so that my wife won't hurt any part of the tradition in the course of our marriage.

3. I know that my mother inlaw would be angry, but I still feel it's my right to know. What if something bad happens to my wife because she married in a way that violates her tradition (give Caeser things to Caesar)

4. I'm doing this for my fiancee not me, because as far as I've paid my bride price nothing can come to me, but if anything comes to my wife, it automatically affects me. So it's not just her and her mum's business.

Thank you as you put this thoughts into consideration as well.

Please excuse typos

1) You can't pay bride price to the step father

2) Be careful with this lady because it could be your turn in 25 years from now
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by Demurray: 1:45pm On Jun 01, 2023
Senior writer to SARAH ADEKAREN on Facebook. Where are thou?
Re: Should I Meet Her Biological Father Before Paying Bride-Price To Her Step-father by wisdomkid: 1:45pm On Jun 01, 2023
Creamypie:
Oga, try locate him, no matter their explanation. Irrespective of his short comings. Tell them your family must acknowledge him. You will understand later. You have to hear from both sides. Your family have full right to meet him and his people.u may be surprised that she deliberately kept her father away from their lives after she met her husband, and us am to pepper the man when shes grown up.na so one wedding we attended in ogwashi uku, delta state, the girl mama no want us to meet her dad people ( dad is dead from stroke, cos of her mum wahala) even the man people were scared when we eventually went to meet them. Her mum made sure she isolated and separated her late husband from his family, after which she frustrated him to b.p, stroke and eventual death. women

Did the Man tried to reach out to them all these years?
Did he at least, tried paying for her school fees or care?
Ever did anything for this girl to see that life was easy on her?

If not, no just dey dish stupid advice everywhere, as if you don't have people you hate too. I totally find it repulsive when people be acting as if the world is all black and white. If that man didn't acknowledge his daughter till now, what right does he have in her life now as an adult?

what role did he play in her life?

We'll be dishing out good ol advice online, and acting the direct opposite in real life.

Peace sha... Nigeria's problem is too plenty to make an enemy of someone because of their opinion.

Once again, PEACE, LOVE and LIGHT

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

6 Things You Can Learn From My Mum's Death. / Nigerian Couple Celebrate 60th Wedding Anniversary (photos) / Alabaconnect: Cheap Uk Used Fridge/freezer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.