Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,196 members, 7,880,723 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 04:16 AM

How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA (52416 Views)

Nuhu Ribadu Appreciates Support Over Appointment As NSA / New Chief Of Army Staff Reshuffles Top Military Command & Makes New Appointments / 24 Properties Seized From A Top Military Officer By EFCC (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by chimpad: 3:35pm On Jun 16, 2023
As long as internal security is concerned, police supercedes the army.
savcy:
To be fair, they're right. An ex-policeman cannot head a body that every security agency answers to. However, Tinubu must do well to appoint a southern Christian veteran as NSA boss. There seem to be this sympathy for insurgents that pervades that office. Let's have a Southern Christian this time.

1 Like

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by agabusta: 3:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
flokii:

It's easier said than done.. you'd be setting yourself up for a Military coup if you don't play with sense.

You think a 4-Star General as CDS for example will like to take orders from a former AIG?.. they put their life into their work so regard them at least.

This is a civilian administration, the people and their representatives have more power.

Even in the US, ordinary lawyers occupy the positions and do well.

The person you quoted is right, we need to demilitarize our organ of governance. The military guys are not superior to other employees of the government. They are there to fulfil their duties to the country and its people.

We indeed need to copy the US method to have a military that will not attempt a coup. Only civilians should have overall command. Or ex military that have lived at least 10years as civilians. In the US, i think the rule is 7 years as a civilian except with Senate exemption.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by shegzhkn: 3:48pm On Jun 16, 2023
LordAdam16:

https://blog.ucsusa.org/jknox/defense-spending-reaches-record-high-as-pentagon-fails-its-audit-for-fifth-time

-Lord
Did you even read the content of the material?, Lol. You made it look as if the US military leaders are some kind of "untouchables" the kind obtainable in banana republic where there is no accountability - that part had been made clear from your "no POTUS..Senator..bla bla bla".

1 Like

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by ChiefOkporghe: 3:50pm On Jun 16, 2023
Gr8amechi:

This idea doesn't make any sense.
If we must advert any future coup we must adopt the USA system, the leadership must be demilitarised.

The position of NSA isn't a war position it's a tactical and a very intelligent position, being a military person doesn't even make you more suitable to advice the president on issues of national security threat than a civilian who is a security expert.

Tinubu must redesign our military to be similar to the USA.

Pull military out of Abuja and raise DSS to become the highest security agency in the country.

For me the NSA should even be coming from DSS or NIA.

being a military general doesn't make you an expert in security matters, you need to see some of them speak

We have had military general as NSA back to back for over 10 years how has our security fared?

The military are trained for maximum force.

If I were the president I will reorganized the security council.

Each military unit will have a secretary which the military top chief reports to.

Have a NSA from a top intelligence unit.

Revamp DSS to focus on protection of the president and vvip personalities alone.

Reorganize police and turn the current police structure into state police.

Collapse the civil defense into state police.

Then established a federal intelligence agency which will be responsible for intelligence gathering and investigation of high profile cases, cyber crimes etc.

Unit custom and immigration into federal board guard.

Remove military completely from Abuja and the only people who should have access to the president should be civilians.

Revamp our laws to bar the military from having any dealings with any civilian and only to be used for maximum aggressive and force enemies.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by Junaina(f): 4:08pm On Jun 16, 2023
techmo:
cool

Soldiers have a big ego, and I don't blame them, they are meant to sacrifice their lives for the country

When it comes to Internal security Nigerian Police trained some of the best officers that excelled everywhere during African Mission and Peace keeping

Ribadu as NSA would coordinate covet operations, and investigation to prevent security challenges, unlike soldiers who would work without proper intelligence

Mm

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by ledaman: 4:11pm On Jun 16, 2023
I don't want to agree with they can't work with their Junior, If you can't then resign or you be fired from your position.
They can't dictate for Commander in Chief of Armed Forces never.

1 Like

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by CSTRR: 4:12pm On Jun 16, 2023
lhordspy:

Truth. Nothing but it.

If you look at the individual involve. They are over-capable of being a minister. But Tinubu want the best hands close to him.

The ministerial positions in Tinubu's administration will be ceremonial. Nothing but that.
While not let us see with our own eyes.?

You have no inkling into tinubu's mind.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by LordAdam16: 4:12pm On Jun 16, 2023
shegzhkn:

Did you even read the content of the material?, Lol. You made it look as if the US military leaders are some kind of "untouchables" the kind obtainable in banana republic where there is no accountability - that part had been made clear from your "no POTUS..Senator..bla bla bla".

Mr. It seems you quoted me in error.

I have no patience for infantile games.

You asked for a source. I provided it.

The Pentagon has never passed an audit. ALL other Departments in the US have passed an audit at least once. And no one is suicidal enough to say sh*t about it. If that does not scream untouchable to you, then you need to beat it. I cannot unilaterally increase your IQ.

-Lord
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by iyimide(m): 4:14pm On Jun 16, 2023
Gr8amechi:

If we must advert any future coup we must adopt the USA system, the leadership must be demilitarised.

The position of NSA isn't a war position it's a tactical and a very intelligent position, being a military person doesn't even make you more suitable to advice the president on issues of national security threat than a civilian who is a security expert.

Pull military out of Abuja and raise DSS to become the highest security agency in the country.

being a military general doesn't make you an expert in security matters, you need to see some of them speak

We have had military general as NSA back to back for over 10 years how has our security fared?

Each military unit will have a secretary which the military top chief reports to.

Revamp DSS to focus on protection of the president and vvip personalities alone.

Then established a federal intelligence agency which will be responsible for intelligence gathering and investigation of high profile cases, cyber crimes etc.

Remove military completely from Abuja and the only people who should have access to the president should be civilians.

Revamp our laws to bar the military from having any dealings with any civilian and only to be used for maximum aggressive and force enemies.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by lhordspy: 4:15pm On Jun 16, 2023
CSTRR:

While not let us see with our own eyes.?

You have no inkling into tinubu's mind.

This is very obvious, bro. Power hungry politicians are already trooping in and out of Aso rock lobbying for ministerial post. Even the ones that failed to provide any significant change in the last 8years.

For 2027 sake, we all know this politicians will be the ones to fill the ministerial posts. Tinubu wont want to bank on them for anything meaningful. So his trusted Special advisers is his best cards.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by CoolAmbience(m): 4:19pm On Jun 16, 2023
Gr8amechi:

Ideas everywhere...

Nigerians and state police...a state police system will certainly worsen things for Nigeria.

With unchecked tendencies of state governors, we shouldn't be talking of state police.

We are even yet to have practical independence of the judiciary and legislature in the states, even at the center; and you're talking about handing over our security to states.

Everything isn't about USA. The USA isn't among the safest place in the world. There is no law that prevents states from setting up community security systems to support the current system.

The Ebubeagus and Amotekuns that were created, how well have they been funded and harnessed to improve national security? You talk of state police when governors are still protesting payment of N30,000 minimum wage? When primary and secondary healthcare are still at sorry states?
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by JohnBullMySon: 4:23pm On Jun 16, 2023
sukkot:
must a country have ministers ?
Lol.

If there are no ministers then there is no Federal government. Office of the Presidency is different from Federal government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by shegzhkn: 4:30pm On Jun 16, 2023
LordAdam16:

The Pentagon has never passed an audit. ALL other Departments in the US have passed an audit at least once. And no one is suicidal enough to say sh*t about it. If that does not scream untouchable to you, then you need to beat it. I cannot unilaterally increase your IQ.

-Lord
Lol, the bolded has demystify you.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by jehoha696(m): 4:30pm On Jun 16, 2023
Ex military general wey head dat position since,nd we all knew how many tyms the former bokoharam head was killed, nd bokoharam still heading affairs in some northern States,the unknown gunmen still giving laws in the east,kidnapping still rdyin...,If naw c'mon girls guide go head that position for things to work,let's rdy with her.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by Classicalman(m): 4:31pm On Jun 16, 2023
dre11:
How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As National Security Adviser

https://saharareporters.com/2023/06/15/exclusive-how-top-nigerian-military-officers-pressured-president-tinubu-drop-nuhu-ribadu
But Col Sambo Dasuki the former NSA wasn't a General.

1 Like

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by OsunOriginal: 4:31pm On Jun 16, 2023
savcy:
To be fair, they're right. An ex-policeman cannot head a body that every security agency answers to. However, Tinubu must do well to appoint a southern Christian veteran as NSA boss. There seem to be this sympathy for insurgents that pervades that office. Let's have a Southern Christian this time.

This one is for us, the traditional worshippers. Both the christians and muslims have failed to bring about peace in the land.

We've sent three names from among the capable and reliable traditional religion worshippers to the president already.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by realray(m): 4:34pm On Jun 16, 2023
I don't blame them cos you and I know who shettima is ...
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by Kukutenla: 4:39pm On Jun 16, 2023
lhordspy:
Ribadu, the security adviser to Tinubu will still be performing the same task & function as NSA(National Security Adviser). He will be operating from ONSA(Office of the National Security Adviser), and be over-seeing the structure of the entire security agencies as a whole, thereby advising the president accordingly on steps, approach, improvement and changes to make.

The only difference is that, the intelligence agencies ( NIA, DSS, DIA ) will be reporting directly to Tinubu now, instead of the NSA. Which means we wont be having NSA.

President Tinubu, probably employ that modality and structural shift to avoid lack of respect or trust between the Military and Ribadu, a fmr. police officer. We all know there has been long standing power-tussles over functions & seniority between the Military and the police.

If you look at most of the SAs appointed well. You will realise they are strategist, capable and trusted fellows who can deliver. This will leave the ministerial positions to politicians. Politicians are corrupt and cant effect changes, they are only after their pocket and political status. But they must be compensated, that is politics. Tinubu knows this, so his best bet are on his Special advisers. Reason he is putting forward his best cards there.
You write with so much gusto and ignorance. The NSA is a creation of the law and can't be left vacant. So it's either Tinubu is planning to go against the law or he's planning to change it if we're not going to be having NSA
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jun 16, 2023
LordAdam16:

-Lord
Good evening sir,
Please can I send a Dm
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by Kukutenla: 4:47pm On Jun 16, 2023
Gr8amechi:

This cannot even work.
And even in the US, the joint chiefs have access to the president. How can someone be commander in chief and the commanders of his troops don't have access to him
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by ismhab(m): 4:58pm On Jun 16, 2023
Which party is CAN, that ribadu was a flag bearer?
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by Kukutenla: 5:00pm On Jun 16, 2023
lhordspy:

I concur with your stand.

It is very bad. Reason we lack proper synergy between the security agencies. But in this case, you can never blame them. It is a widely acceptable standard everywhere for a military general to be appointed NSA.

Another ignorant post. Google Jake Sullivan and see if he has ever been near the military
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by Chetas81(m): 5:17pm On Jun 16, 2023
Ribadu to the top but eleriburuku citizen won't allow ✍️
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by Bellotelli: 5:20pm On Jun 16, 2023
techmo:
cool

Soldiers have a big ego, and I don't blame them, they are meant to sacrifice their lives for the country

When it comes to Internal security Nigerian Police trained some of the best officers that excelled everywhere during African Mission and Peace keeping

Ribadu as NSA would coordinate covet operations, and investigation to prevent security challenges, unlike soldiers who would work without proper intelligence

The problem with national security today is largely constituted by military officers either serving or retired. They cashing out big time on people's blood. It's high time we test the police.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by ferhyntorlah(f): 5:28pm On Jun 16, 2023
HRMK:
WHY CANT TINUBU RETIRE ALL THE SO CALLED SENIOR OFFICERS THEN?

Good question!

1 Like

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by greenalwaz: 5:36pm On Jun 16, 2023
lhordspy:
Ribadu, the security adviser to Tinubu will still be performing the same task & function as NSA(National Security Adviser). He will be operating from ONSA(Office of the National Security Adviser), and be over-seeing the structure of the entire security agencies as a whole, thereby advising the president accordingly on steps, approach, improvement and changes to make.

The only difference is that, the intelligence agencies ( NIA, DSS, DIA ) will be reporting directly to Tinubu now, instead of the NSA. Which means we wont be having NSA.

President Tinubu, probably employ that modality and structural shift to avoid lack of respect or trust between the Military and Ribadu, a fmr. police officer. We all know there has been long standing power-tussles over functions & seniority between the Military and the police.

If you look at most of the SAs appointed well. You will realise they are strategist, capable and trusted fellows who can deliver. This will leave the ministerial positions to politicians. Politicians are corrupt and cant effect changes, they are only after their pocket and political status. But they must be compensated, that is politics. Tinubu knows this, so his best bet are on his Special advisers. Reason he is putting forward his best cards there.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by professorPABX: 6:09pm On Jun 16, 2023
TemplarLandry:
Office of the National Security Adviser cannot be scrapped. It's enshrined in the constitution.

As unpredictable as he is, Tinubu might later merge the Security Adviser and NSA offices into one, making Ribadu its head.

ISMAILA GWARZO is the NSA to ABACHA. He is a Police Officer. Ribadu can be manage the Security Architecture very well.
Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by seniorman1992(m): 6:27pm On Jun 16, 2023
You don't understand how the military works. As at when Col. Dasuki was the NSA he was still senior to the then Generals. His rank doesn't matter... The point is, he joined the Army before the then Generals so he was their senior irrespective of the rank.
Classicalman:
But Col Sambo Dasuki the former NSA wasn't a General.

1 Like

Re: How Top Military Officers Pressured President Tinubu To Drop Nuhu Ribadu As NSA by YouAreFinished: 6:37pm On Jun 16, 2023
savcy:
Sympathy for the people making your region suffer

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Punch Reporter Leaves Aso Villa After His Expulsion (Photo) / ISWAP Distributes Old Naira Notes To Passengers On Borno Highway / Goodluck Jonathan Escapes Death As Two Aides Die In Auto Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.