Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,274 members, 7,943,592 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 07:06 PM

Street Press: Marriage Frivolous Spending Vs. Investment Marriage Fund - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Street Press: Marriage Frivolous Spending Vs. Investment Marriage Fund (1411 Views)

Palace Of Ooni Of Ife Issues Press Release On Rumoured Family Crisis / Bad Effects Of Spending Too Much Of A Time Online• / Where Are You Spending Your Xmas? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Street Press: Marriage Frivolous Spending Vs. Investment Marriage Fund by streetpres: 10:22am On Oct 06, 2011
The issue of the future progress of us all is utmost in most of our minds; we do not want to be failures or suffer in poverty, discrimination and abuse.

I once met a man and a woman couple who died in poverty and in regret during his latter years before death snatched the husband, he stated his story to me and i was humbled by the couple's narrative honesty when describing what the husband termed "a great financial opportunity squandered" while in the couple's mid thirties.

This is the story of Abimbola & Jakande Salami. Jakande came from a wealthy home but his wife, Abimbola, did not. This couple both met in the university; one a teacher, the other an African civil servant. Life as they stated was filled with lavish spending  and opportunities for Jakande when until the day of their wedding, an ominous turn would befall the couple's future. Before I digress into the dark cloud of the couple's next existence, I emphatically state that on the day of the couple's wedding, N60m was spent and it was defined by an overwhelming number of the guest list as "Grand."

But in one swift stroke, Jakande's parents were killed in a highstrung accident on the way back from the wedding. A new twist was added, Jakande's parents company became the victim of a hostile takeover by certain business partners and Jakande ended up with nothing. The couple could only live on their work salaries and things seemed more of a financial decline. Narrating his ordeal, Jakande regretted the opulence of the wedding and stated insistently that he wished he could go back to history and perform a simple wedding while collecting the N60m as a source of capital funding for certain businesses he wanted to set up at the time. He stated that parents who can afford a magnanimous wedding should only do that when their children have a sound financial foundation. He believed if there is the non-existence of this sound financial background by the bride & groom, it is frivolous spending. Jakande proposed this: "As the significance of wedding is the union of man and woman into husband and wife, marriage ceremonies should not be seen as a braggart way of frivolous spending."

I would love to have your opinion on what you think,  Should marriage ceremonies be lavish or should it be made very simple and seen as a tradition where family and friends give the most they can spare to the newly wed as a token of goodwill to a better financial future for them?

Author
Prince Uzezi Mokedi
mokedi@yahoo.com
www.MOKEDI.com

(1) (Reply)

The Story Of A White American Professor Who Writes And Speaks Yoruba / World Wide Powerful Traditional Healer Powerful Herbalist +27732234705 / Where Can I Buy Urhobo Attire (stick And Hat)?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.