Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,465 members, 7,881,634 topics. Date: Saturday, 06 July 2024 at 04:28 AM

South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time - Food (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time (3971 Views)

Braai: See What South Africans Typically Have For Christmas Lunch (PICS) / Nigerian Food Combinations That You Haven't Tried / Cameroonian Lady Disses Nigerian Food On Twitter, Nigerians Respond (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 23, 2023
It's just braai... The difference is the name.
hammerFC:
This is the Suya spice.
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by hammerFC: 5:13pm On Oct 23, 2023
Samantha124:
Nah, I'll make a fruit smoothie and have some juice and biscuits afterwards... I've been hungry for way too long that I don't even have any appetite for solids.

I'll try the solids later.

I don't know if it's just me, but if I get hungry for a while without eating anything, I end up losing appetite for solid food and I'll need to start my meals with soft food first.

U need to eat something and gradually u get back you appetite.

Fruits is actually medicine for days like this.

Orange, banana and Tangerine.

I bet you are an apple and strawberry girl?
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by hammerFC: 5:14pm On Oct 23, 2023
Samantha124:
It's just braai... The difference is the name.

They wont taste the same, i can assure you.

The aroma wil also be differnt.
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 23, 2023
Tell me something, are you a restaurant owner or a cook?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
hammerFC:

They wont taste the same, i can assure you.

The aroma wil also be differnt.
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 23, 2023
Why do you say so?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
hammerFC:

U need to eat something and gradually u get back you appetite.

Fruits is actually medicine for days like this.

Orange, banana and Tangerine.

I bet you are an apple and strawberry girl?

Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by hammerFC: 5:20pm On Oct 23, 2023
Samantha124:
Why do you say so?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

just guessing...

just in case i got it wrong with the earlier suggestion.
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by hammerFC: 5:21pm On Oct 23, 2023
Samantha124:
Tell me something, are you a restaurant owner or a cook?πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Well, both in a way, business wise.
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 23, 2023
Honestly speaking, my man is the one who introduced me to a healthy balanced diet because he's obsessed with eating healthy.
hammerFC:

just guessing...

just in case i got it wrong with the earlier suggestion.
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 23, 2023
I see... cheesy cheesy cheesy
hammerFC:

Well, both in a way, business wise.
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by hammerFC: 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2023
Samantha124:
Honestly speaking, my man is the one who introduced me to a healthy balanced diet because he's obsessed with eating healthy.

Healthy is good discipline, if u can sustain it.

Sometimes, people eat based on their mood.

Comfort food...

1 Like

Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 6:47pm On Oct 23, 2023
Samantha124:
Well, I've never seen plantains in reality before... smiley smiley smiley

Does this apply to every South Africa out there or is it just you
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 6:56pm On Oct 23, 2023
Let me go ask in an SA WhatsApp group chat and I'll be back...πŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈ
Silentgroper:

Does this apply to every South Africa out there or is it just you
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 7:07pm On Oct 23, 2023
Samantha124:
Let me go ask in an SA WhatsApp group chat and I'll be back...πŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈπŸƒπŸ»β€β™€οΈ
I'll be waiting..
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 23, 2023
I've done some screenshots, but I'm too lazy to post them tonight because I first have to go on world war 3 with Nairaland before I can be able post them... Nairaland is always giving me a tough time when I have to post pictures and on top of that, I've got a severe headache tonight.

But so far, it seems like no one knows them.. One even referred me to a kiddies show... grin grin grin

The one person that claimed to have tasted them before said they were imported for those Nigerian stores here in SA... So I'm guessing that they're only available in Nigerian stores and restaurants.
Silentgroper:
I'll be waiting..
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by ghettochild(m): 1:05am On Oct 24, 2023
mariahAngel:

You're a Nigerian based in South Africa?
If you are, how do you see the cost of Nigerian foods there; cheap, reasonable or expensive?

Oh! Not just my people o.
South Africans too. They'd love it. Hehehe
It's reasonable...there's a fixed price by retailers here... so if you think u can sell cheaper....
Then you are welcome to set up shop.
I'll definitely patronize u in bulk as I hope one day to own a foodstuff shop here in the Eastern cape.
I personally buy from Joburg cbd n have it sent to me via bus... it's cheaper and bigger in terms of size.
1 carton of noodle is 170r from jhb and its sold here 270..
I usually buy when am ordering materials for my business
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 1:32am On Oct 24, 2023
Samantha124:
I've done some screenshots, but I'm too lazy to post them tonight because I first have to go on world war 3 with Nairaland before I can be able post them... Nairaland is always giving me a tough time when I have to post pictures and on top of that, I've got a severe headache tonight.

But so far, it seems like no one knows them.. One even referred me to a kiddies show... grin grin grin

The one person that claimed to have tasted them before said they were imported for those Nigerian stores here in SA... So I'm guessing that they're only available in Nigerian stores and restaurants.
lmao ...

Funny but weird...

Do you guys ever farm?? If. Yes, what farm product inspired food do you guys grow and cultivate??
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Manofsteel2013(m): 6:13am On Oct 24, 2023
They ought to eat the real one, not exported.
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 24, 2023
Finally someone has commented, for a moment I thought you're a bot because I'd see you sharing my comments, but I've never seen you commenting before... grin grin grin

A miracle just happened today.. grin grin grin
Manofsteel2013:
They ought to eat the real one, not exported.

1 Like

Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 7:22am On Oct 24, 2023
Are you talking about subsistence farming or commercial farming?
Silentgroper:
lmao ...

Funny but weird...

Do you guys ever farm?? If. Yes, what farm product inspired food do you guys grow and cultivate??
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 9:00am On Oct 24, 2023
Samantha124:
Are you talking about subsistence farming or commercial farming?
subsistence most especially but both
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 10:28am On Oct 24, 2023
Maize, cabbages, spinach, peanuts, leafy greens, beetroots, carrots, watermelons, butternuts, tomatoes, sugarcanes, and beans.
Silentgroper:
subsistence most especially but both
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 10:49am On Oct 24, 2023
Samantha124:
Maize, cabbages, spinach, peanuts, leafy greens, beetroots, carrots, watermelons, butternuts, tomatoes, sugarcanes, and beans.
you eat beans, hahahahaha ... I guess you guys are not so weird afterall..

πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

How do you lots eat your beans by the way... I'm curious...
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 11:10am On Oct 24, 2023
We'd either mix them with samp or eat them as they are with some side dishes.

We also have baked beans that we'd usually mix with some of our dishes.

They're cooked differently based on the person's preferences.... But my mom and sister don't eat beans at all.
Silentgroper:
you eat beans, hahahahaha ... I guess you guys are not so weird afterall..

πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹πŸ˜‹

How do you lots eat your beans by the way... I'm curious...

Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 2:26pm On Oct 24, 2023
Samantha124:
We'd either mix them with samp or eat them as they are with some side dishes.

We also have baked beans that we'd usually mix with some of our dishes.

They're cooked differently based on the person's preferences.... But my mom and sister don't eat beans at all.
we eat them with breads, corn (maize), plantain, garri(cassava flakes) and umm probably custards and pap ( pap is most preferable) ..

The beans can also grinded and made into marshed texture and fried in which AKARA(Beans cake) is made also preferable eaten with bread, garri and pap .. Beans in this form can't be eaten with plantain in case you're curious... In that same marshed form it can be cooked to to form beans puddling or whatever the name is but it's locally called moi moi ...

What abt banana, you seem familiar with banana ..

You guys don't plant that...
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 24, 2023
We only ate beans occasionally in the house because Mom doesn't eat them... She's so picky to a point that there were a lot of things we were deprived from eating in the house because of her... I only started eating beef when I was a teenager and as old as I am, I've never tasted pork or mutton before... Last time I had goat meat was when I was younger and in my grandparents house.

The most painful thing was when she cut down spicy food in the house, we'd only eat them occasionally... Sometimes I think she's selfish because she has admitted that in her younger years, she used to love spicy food.

As for bananas, some grow them in their yards, it's an optional thing... My sister has like 8 banana trees in her backyard... The environment is also not always friendly for them in some parts of SA, so we end up buying them from supermarkets.
Silentgroper:
we eat them with breads, corn (maize), plantain, garri(cassava flakes) and umm probably custards and pap ( pap is most preferable) ..

The beans can also grinded and made into marshed texture and fried in which AKARA(Beans cake) is made also preferable eaten with bread, garri and pap .. Beans in this form can't be eaten with plantain in case you're curious... In that same marshed form it can be cooked to to form beans puddling or whatever the name is but it's locally called moi moi ...

What abt banana, you seem familiar with banana ..

You guys don't plant that...
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 8:48pm On Oct 24, 2023
Samantha124:
We only ate beans occasionally in the house because Mom doesn't eat them... She's so picky to a point that there were a lot of things we were deprived from eating in the house because of her... I only started eating beef when I was a teenager and as old as I am, I've never tasted pork or mutton before... Last time I had goat meat was when I was younger and in my grandparents house.

The most painful thing was when she cut down spicy food in the house, we'd only eat them occasionally... Sometimes I think she's selfish because she has admitted that in her younger years, she used to love spicy food.

As for bananas, some grow them in their yards, it's an optional thing... My sister has like 8 banana trees in her backyard... The environment is also not always friendly for them in some parts of SA, so we end up buying them from supermarkets.
never eaten pork too .. Goat meats, I've eaten that alot like my life depends on it . Mostly when it's being used to make pepper soup..

Pretty sure you guys don't take anything pepper soup.... Seriously you should take vacation to Nigeria if not for anything but our food..

Spicy food is part of our culture down here .. Esp amongst the Yoruba tribe ... If our food ain't spicy, it ain't sweet and worth eating ... Your mom must've had her reason she had she decided to cut down on it .. might have affected greatly after having too much so she's just being caring by avoiding the same for her kids aka you 😁 ...

Though what do you mean the environment is not so friendly for them.. do you mean the soil??
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 9:28pm On Oct 24, 2023
Because I was raised by a picky mother, I tend to be picky too and you guys add a lot of stuff in your food... You'd mix fish with goat meat, and chicken, for me that's mission impossible... You also eat both cattle and goats coat, in my culture, that coat is part of our traditional attires.

I don't want to offend anyone by speaking badly about their food, but if I had to try Nigerian food, I'd go for jollof rice rice and those fried bananas you guys call plantains... grin grin grin

Some areas can be too hot and dry to grow banana trees and apparently it also depends on the soil type and texture.
Silentgroper:
never eaten pork too .. Goat meats, I've eaten that alot like my life depends on it . Mostly when it's being used to make pepper soup..

Pretty sure you guys don't take anything pepper soup.... Seriously you should take vacation to Nigeria if not for anything but our food..

Spicy food is part of our culture down here .. Esp amongst the Yoruba tribe ... If our food ain't spicy, it ain't sweet and worth eating ... Your mom must've had her reason she had she decided to cut down on it .. might have affected greatly after having too much so she's just being caring by avoiding the same for her kids aka you 😁 ...

Though what do you mean the environment is not so friendly for them.. do you mean the soil??
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 9:42pm On Oct 24, 2023
Samantha124:
Because I was raised by a picky mother, I tend to be picky too and you guys add a lot of stuff in your food... You'd mix fish with goat meat, and chicken, for me that's mission impossible... You also eat both cattle and goats coat, in my culture, that coat is part of our traditional attires.

I don't want to offend anyone by speaking badly about their food, but if I had to try Nigerian food, I'd go for jollof rice rice and those fried bananas you guys call plantains... grin grin grin

Some areas can be too hot and dry to grow banana trees and apparently it also depends on the soil type and texture.

What kind of food does one mixes fish with goat meat .. That isn't a Nigerian delicacy, nt sure where you heard of those.. lol ..

Lmao .. what's coat?? You mean theirs hides and skin aka ponmo (leather) .. is that you refer to as coat hahahahaha, very funny ..

Wait till you're being served a plate of spicy kponmo and some ice cold ice tea.. you would've gulped down three plates before you remember you just ate what is being used to make some cloth . LoL.

About being picky, I can bet my left balls that would be non existent when these meals are being prepared for you ..

You can start with fried bananas first though and you catch up with the rest later on😁😁😁😁

Fried banana!!! That phrase still cracks me up ..
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Nobody: 10:18pm On Oct 24, 2023
I've seen videos of Nigerian ladies on YouTube cooking fish, goat, and chicken all together in one pot, so don't act clueless...πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

Anyways, enjoy your food.
Silentgroper:

What kind of food does one mixes fish with goat meat .. That isn't a Nigerian delicacy, nt sure where you heard of those.. lol ..

Lmao .. what's coat?? You mean theirs hides and skin aka ponmo (leather) .. is that you refer to as coat hahahahaha, very funny ..

Wait till you're being served a plate of spicy kponmo and some ice cold ice tea.. you would've gulped down three plates before you remember you just ate what is being used to make some cloth . LoL.

About being picky, I can bet my left balls that would be non existent when these meals are being prepared for you ..

You can start with fried bananas first though and you catch up with the rest later on😁😁😁😁

Fried banana!!! That phrase still cracks me up ..

Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 12:16am On Oct 25, 2023
Samantha124:
I've seen videos of Nigerian ladies on YouTube cooking fish, goat, and chicken all together in one pot, so don't act clueless...πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘

Anyways, enjoy your food.
nah .. you didn't see right ... They ain't Nigerians...
Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Valwezzy: 7:34am On Oct 25, 2023
Silentgroper:
nah .. you didn't see right ... They ain't Nigerians...

They’re, she’s right.

Most well to do people spend a lot on assorted beefs, cow legs, mutton, fish and chicken, Especially when they’re cooking vegetable or edikikong soups .

1 Like

Re: South Africans Eating Nigerian Food For The First Time by Silentgroper(m): 9:13am On Oct 25, 2023
Valwezzy:

They’re, she’s right.

Most well to do people spend a lot on assorted beefs, cow legs, mutton, fish and chicken, Especially when they’re cooking vegetable or edikikong soups .
oh ... Alright then...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

10 Reasons To Avoid Eating Instant Noodles / Where Can I Learn How To Make Pizza In Nigeria? / How To Make Soybean Milk At Home With Simple And Easy Steps

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.