Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,185,154 members, 7,925,607 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 06:49 PM

Who Created God? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Created God? (20076 Views)

If God Created Everything, Who Created God? / Who Created GOD? / Who Created God Or How Did God Come Into Existence? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Created God? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:15pm On Nov 13, 2011
[size=13pt]Now people i come again ^^  grin

Take this quote from the Bible. In Matthew 7:7 Jesus says:

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

The impossibility of God is visible here as well. Based on Jesus' statement, let's assume that you are a child and you are starving in Ethiopia cheesy cheesy cheesy . You pray for food. What would you expect to happen based on Jesus' statement? If God exists as an all-loving, all-knowing and all-powerful parent -- a "father in heaven" -- you would expect God to deliver food to you grin. In fact, the child should not have to pray cheesy cheesy.

Normal parents provide food to their children without their children having to beg for it. Yet, strangely, on planet Earth today we find tens of millions of people dying of starvation every year.  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
[/size]
Re: Who Created God? by Fhemmmy: 11:19pm On Nov 13, 2011
God is the creator and yet was not created . . . . .
Re: Who Created God? by Xervia46: 11:20pm On Nov 13, 2011
You guys are all stupid and insane. God exits. If you doubt it, cause him and shall die. Try it and see. Their is power in my words. he directed me to speak. Try it and see.
Re: Who Created God? by lifestyle1(m): 11:21pm On Nov 13, 2011
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]YES , we need to know ---- some people lack knowledge because they refuse to ask to know the truth instead , ignorant life style have almost ruined their brain --- grin grin wink
[/size]

[size=15pt]What's your area of specialization ? undecided[/size]
Re: Who Created God? by ifarajimi(m): 11:21pm On Nov 13, 2011
I
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]If you consult the dictionary, here is the first definition of God that you will find:

"A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions." [ref]

Most believers would agree with this definition because they share a remarkably clear and consistent view of God. Yes, there are thousands of minor quibbles about religion. Believers express those quibbles in dozens of denominations -- Presbyterians, Lutherans, Catholics, Baptists, Episcopalians, Methodists and such. But at the heart of it all, the belief in God aligns on a set of core ideas that everyone accepts.  grin

What if you were to simply think about what it would mean if there were a perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe? Is it possible for such a being to exist? Epicures thought about it in 300 BCE, and he came up with this:

"The gods can either take away evil from the world and will not, or, being willing to do so, cannot; or they neither can nor will, or lastly, they are both able and willing. If they have the will to remove evil and cannot, then they are not omnipotent. If they can, but will not, than they are not benevolent. If they are neither able nor willing, then they are neither omnipotent nor benevolent. Lastly, if they are both able and willing to annihilate evil, how does it exist?"

In other words, if you sit and think about who God is supposed to be, you realize that such a being is impossible. Ridiculous, in fact.  cheesy cheesy wink
[/size]

I love this argument, am waiting for the reply to this.
Re: Who Created God? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:22pm On Nov 13, 2011
[size=13pt]Just imagine that no-sense my dear. . . at least everything got beginning lol cheesy cheesy wink[/size]

Fhemmmy:

God is the creator and yet was not created . . . . .
Re: Who Created God? by tbaba1234: 11:25pm On Nov 13, 2011
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]If you consult the dictionary, here is the first definition of God that you will find:

"A being conceived as the perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe, the principal object of faith and worship in monotheistic religions." [ref]

Most believers would agree with this definition because they share a remarkably clear and consistent view of God. Yes, there are thousands of minor quibbles about religion. Believers express those quibbles in dozens of denominations -- Presbyterians, Lutherans, Catholics, Baptists, Episcopalians, Methodists and such. But at the heart of it all, the belief in God aligns on a set of core ideas that everyone accepts.  grin

What if you were to simply think about what it would mean if there were a perfect, omnipotent, omniscient originator and ruler of the universe? Is it possible for such a being to exist? Epicures thought about it in 300 BCE, and he came up with this:

"The gods can either take away evil from the world and will not, or, being willing to do so, cannot; or they neither can nor will, or lastly, they are both able and willing. If they have the will to remove evil and cannot, then they are not omnipotent. If they can, but will not, than they are not benevolent. If they are neither able nor willing, then they are neither omnipotent nor benevolent. Lastly, if they are both able and willing to annihilate evil, how does it exist?"

In other words, if you sit and think about who God is supposed to be, you realize that such a being is impossible. Ridiculous, in fact.  cheesy cheesy wink
[/size]

I am muslim, the problem of evil is not a valid argument against the existence of God.

The internal problem of evil presents its premises as follows:

1. A good God that is omnipotent exist

2. Evil exists

3. Therefore a good God that is omnipotent doesn’t exist

H. J. McCloskey in his article ‘God and Evil’ summarises the problem well,

“Evil is a problem for the theist in that a contradiction is involved in the fact of evil, on the one hand, and the belief in the omnipotence and perfection of God on the other.”

Responding to the Internal Problem of Evil

The first point that needs to be made is that statements (1) and (2) are not logically inconsistent as there is no apparent contradiction. For the atheist to jump to the conclusion that a good God that is omnipotent doesn’t exist is an unwarranted, unless he has assumed, in the words of Philosopher William Craig, “some hidden premises”.

These hidden premises seem to be the following,

4. If God is omnipotent, then he can create any world he wants

5. If God is good, then he prefers a world without evil

Statement (4) suggests that since God can create and do anything, then he can create free human beings who always decide to do the right thing and do not fall into evil or suffering. Statement (5) suggests that God is all good so much so that if he could create a world without evil and suffering he would. Otherwise he would himself be evil to prefer that humans experience evil and suffering.

The proponent of this version of the problem of evil has made some unjustified assumptions. These hidden premises make some daring assumptions; firstly it assumes a Christian type of God, one that is just good and omnipotent. Secondly it assumes that God doesn’t have any reasons to permit evil and suffering in the world.

Responding to the first assumption

Muslims do not only believe that God is just good and omnipotent. Muslims believe that part of God’s names and attributes include ‘the Just’, ‘the Severe in Punishment’, ‘the Wise’, ‘the Avenger’, and ‘the Compassionate’, amongst many others. So statements (1, 4 and 5) are inaccurate as the Muslim does not reduce God to parts, rather God is seen as one and unique in context of all his names and attributes. So if God was just good and omnipotent, then there may be problem in reconciling suffering and evil in the world. However if you include attributes such as ‘the Severe in Punishment’ and ‘the Wise’, these problems would not exist. Because perceived evil and suffering in the world can be due to,

• God’s punishment as a result of our sins and bad actions.

• God’s wisdom, as there may be divine wisdom in permitting evil and suffering. Even if we can’t evaluate what the wisdom is, it doesn’t mean it is not there. To argue such a thing would be a logical fallacy, known as the argument from ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam). The story of Khidr which can be found in the 18th chapter of Qur’an from verses 60 to 82 is an eloquent account of how God’s wisdom, whether understood or not, has positive results and benefits for humanity.

In addition to this the Muslim can argue that the problem of evil is logically posterior to the existence of God. You need to establish that God exists first before attempting to reconcile who God is with our perception of reality, in this case, evil and suffering.

Lastly the meaning of the word ‘good’ attributed to God needs to be understood in a divine context. In general terms the word ‘good’ has a meaning that relates to human experience, whereas in Islamic theology ‘good’ as an attribute of God is primarily viewed as a unique attribute that can be appreciated but not fully comprehended due to his uniqueness and transcendental nature. Therefore the underlying assumption that evil and a good God cannot coexist may be true with a Christian view of God. However it doesn’t apply to the Islamic concept of God as the atheist will have to reconcile evil and suffering with something that he cannot fully comprehend. So his premises are false due to his incorrect assumption that ‘good’ in the context of God is related to a human understanding of good.
Re: Who Created God? by Nobody: 11:27pm On Nov 13, 2011
tbaba1234 :

Quote from:  on Today at 09:23:52 AM
This seems to be major hurdle for many atheists, So i decided to help them out.

And please no emotional arguments,

The absurdity of an infinite history of past events

Some philosophers such as Bertrand Russell argued that the universe is eternal, meaning it has no beginning and it will never end. However if we think about this we will conclude that this position is irrational. If the universe never had a beginning it means there must be an infinite history of past events. Yet does an actual infinite exist in the real world? Is it possible?

The concept of the actual infinite cannot be exported into the real world, because it leads to contradictions and doesn’t make sense. Let’s take the following examples to illustrate this point:

1. Say you have an infinite number of balls, if I take 2 balls away, how many do you have left? Infinity. Does that make sense? Well, there should be two less than infinity, and if there is, then we should be able to count how many balls you have. But this is impossible, because the infinite is just an idea and doesn’t exist in the real world. In light of this fact the famous German mathematician David Hilbert said,

“The infinite is nowhere to be found in reality. It neither exists in nature nor provides a legitimate basis for rational thought…the role that remains for the infinite to play is solely that of an idea.”[2]

2. Imagine you are a soldier ready to fire a gun, but before you shoot you have to ask permission for the soldier behind you, but he has to do the same, and it goes on for infinity. Will you ever shoot? No you wouldn’t. This highlights, the absurdity of an infinite regress and this applies to events to. Therefore, there cannot be an infinite history of past events.

3. Take the distance between two points, one may argue that you can subdivide the distance into infinite parts, but you will always be subdividing and never actually reach the ‘infinitieth’ part! So in reality the infinite is potential and can never be actualised. Similarly the ancient Greek Philosopher Aristotle explained,

“…the infinite is potential, never actual: the number of parts that can be taken always surpasses any assigned number.”[3]

So if we refer back to an infinite history of past events we can conclude, since events are not just ideas they are real, the number of past events cannot be infinite. Therefore the universe must be finite, in other words the cosmos had a beginning.

Now that we have proved the absurdity of an infinite regress of causes, let's apply it to God

If you ask the question who created the creator?
What stops you from asking: Who created the creator that created that creator?
Let's continue : Who created that creator that created that creator that created that creator?

If this continued forever, will there be a universe?
The absurdity of an infinite regress of causes means that the universe was caused by an uncaused cause,
If the infinite is linear its beginning must definitely come to be seen unless it is in the case of a loop or circular that returns to where it starts from(what goes around comes around). It is sensible to know that our universe is not in a loop because it is expanding exponentially.
Re: Who Created God? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:27pm On Nov 13, 2011
[size=13pt]Thank u clown ! i have seen so many Christians like u --- grin grin .  Now, u just bang in here insulting your own head right?  my friend this place is serious zone no KID or dabbler allowed in here okay -- i huge if u have nothing important to share on this thread get out and seek for the play ground of kids @ the jokes or games section of the forum.

Try what and see ke?  grin grin grin  Regarde-moi ca!  cheesy
[/size]

Xervia46:

You guys are all silly and insane. God exits. If you doubt it, cause him and shall die. Try it and see. Their is power in my words. he directed me to speak. Try it and see.
Re: Who Created God? by babalo1: 11:28pm On Nov 13, 2011
Funny as it may sound, to Christians God created Man but to Atheist, it seems the other way around.
Re: Who Created God? by tbaba1234: 11:29pm On Nov 13, 2011
Responding to the second assumption

A sufficient response to the second assumption is to provide a strong argument that God has justified reasons to permit suffering and evil in the world. The intellectual richness of Islamic Theology provides us with many reasons, some of which include:

1. The primary purpose of the human being is not happiness rather it is to know and worship God. This fulfillment of the divine purpose will result in everlasting bliss and happiness. So if this is our primary purpose other aspects of human experience our secondary. The Qur’an, the book of the Muslims states: “I did not create either jinn or man except to worship Me.”

2. God also created us for a test, and part of this test is to be tested with suffering and evil. The Qur’an mentions “The One Who created death and life, so that He may put you to test, to find out which of you is best in deeds: He is the all-Almighty, the all-Forgiving”

3. Having hardship and suffering enables us to realise and know God’s attributes such as ‘the Victorious’ and ‘the Healer’. For example without the pain and suffering of illness we would not appreciate the attribute of God being ‘the Healer’. Knowing God is a greater good, and worth the experience of suffering or pain as it will mean the fulfillment of our primary purpose.

4. Suffering allows 2nd order good. 1st order good is physical pleasure and happiness and 1st order evil is physical pain and sadness. 2nd order goodness is elevated goodness such as courage and can only happen if suffering or evil exist.

5. People can also suffer from past, present or future sins. God has knowledge of everything which is not contingent on time. Please refer to the story of Khidr in the Qur’an where it mentions Khidr’s reply to Prophet Moses “All this was done as a mercy from your Lord. What I did was not done by my own will. That is the interpretation of those actions which you could not bear to watch with patience.”
6. God has given us free will, and free will includes choosing evil acts.
Re: Who Created God? by Nobody: 11:31pm On Nov 13, 2011
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]Now people i come again ^^  grin

Take this quote from the Bible. In Matthew 7:7 Jesus says:

Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!

The impossibility of God is visible here as well. Based on Jesus' statement, let's assume that you are a child and you are starving in Ethiopia cheesy cheesy cheesy . You pray for food. What would you expect to happen based on Jesus' statement? If God exists as an all-loving, all-knowing and all-powerful parent -- a "father in heaven" -- you would expect God to deliver food to you grin. In fact, the child should not have to pray cheesy cheesy.

Normal parents provide food to their children without their children having to beg for it. Yet, strangely, on planet Earth today we find tens of millions of people dying of starvation every year.  lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
[/size]

U are so dumb dude
Re: Who Created God? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:31pm On Nov 13, 2011
[size=13pt]Well dude i dunno know the direction of this your comment but i think you should have known I'm specialized in so many helpful and important tips of life most especially  to expose every so- called lies of the Christians against the innocent Satan .  grin grin cheesy[/size]

life_style:

[size=15pt]What's your area of specialization ?  undecided[/size]
Re: Who Created God? by claremont(m): 11:32pm On Nov 13, 2011
I wonder why people just can't accept that Atheists are NOT defined as persons who do not believe in the existence of a God/gods, but rather, Atheists are persons who simply are asking for irrefutable evidence. Atheists have NO beliefs!

In attempting to answer the question posed by the OP, we are already making an assumption that there is a God/gods somewhere folding his/her hands watching "creation". It will be wrong for me to say that this assumption is as far from the truth as it can be, the only thing I can say with some element of confidence is that there is NO evidence for such an assumption.
Re: Who Created God? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:34pm On Nov 13, 2011
[size=13pt]Point of correction this is not an argument dude. . .  grin we're only sharing together what we know concerning this thread to bring out the truth --- i mean , nothing but the truth !  , okay waiting to read your reply  wink[/size]

ifarajimi:

I
I love this argument, am waiting for the reply to this.
Re: Who Created God? by tbaba1234: 11:34pm On Nov 13, 2011
The external problem of evil

The internal problem of evil fails to convince, however the external problem of evil seems more persuasive because it seems to acknowledge the co-existence of God and evil in the world, but denies God’s existence due to the level of the evil in the world. The external problem of evil argues the following:

1. A good God that is omnipotent exists

2. Gratuitous evil exists

3. Therefore, God does not exist

For the Muslim statement (2) is subjective and not entirely true. The Muslim will believe that evil exists, but not that gratuitous evil exists, and since this is based upon human subjectivity then the external problem of evil carries no weight. The proponent of this argument will have to show that gratuitous evil or evil itself are objective without reference to human subjectivity.

The essential problem with this argument is shown in the following questions:

• What makes our value judgments objectively true?

• What are our definitions of gratuitous evil?

The proponent of the problem of evil  faces a problem because God is required a rational basis for objective good and evil (whether gratuitous or not). Without God these terms are relative as there is no conceptual anchor, apart from God himself, which transcends human subjectivity. So the terms evil and good make no sense or are just ephemeral without God. Therefore in order for the atheist’s premise to make objective sense, God’s existence is necessary. In this light the Muslim or theist may argue:

1. If God did not exist, then objective moral values would not exist

2. Evil exists

3. Therefore objective moral values exists (from premise 2)

4. Therefore, God exists

Explaining the key premise: Premise (1)

The question about objective good or bad, in other words objective morality, has been discussed by many theists and non-theists alike. Many have concluded that there is no objective morality without God. Humanist philosopher Paul Kurtz aptly puts it,

“The central question about moral and ethical principles concerns this ontological foundation. If they are neither derived from God nor anchored in some transcendent ground, are they purely ephemeral?”
Re: Who Created God? by tbaba1234: 11:35pm On Nov 13, 2011
Paul Kurtz is right because God is the only conceptual anchor that transcends human subjectivity, so without God there is no rational basis for objective morality. In God’s absence, there are only two possible alternative conceptual foundations.

• Social pressures

• Evolution

Both social pressures and evolution provide no objective basis for morality as they both claim that our morality is contingent on changes: biological and social. Therefore morality cannot be binding, in other words true regardless of who believes in them.

Therefore without God there is no objective basis for morality. God as a concept is not subjective therefore having God as basis for morality makes them binding and objective, because God transcends human subjectivity. The following statement by Richard Taylor, an eminent ethicist, correctly concludes,

“Contemporary writers in ethics, who blithely discourse upon moral right and wrong and moral obligation without any reference to religion, are really just weaving intellectual webs from thin air; which amounts to saying that they discourse without meaning.”

Therefore evil in the world actually proves that God exists. This argument shows how God and evil can co-exist without attempting to explain why. So in a rhetorical response to the atheist the Muslim or theist can pose the following question,

“How can the atheist formulate an argument against the existence of God when God is required as an objective basis for the formulation of the argument in the first place?!”

At first sight the problem of evil seems to present insuperable difficulties for the Muslim. However under intellectual scrutiny the problem of evil actually fails to present a convincing argument.

Concluding with the Emotional Argument

There is a well known Buddhist saying that states ‘desire causes suffering ‘and since human beings desire then we will always suffer. Whether this is true or not clearly reinforces our intuition that we will suffer and experience evil at some point in our lives. This suffering can be the making of our own hands, other peoples or external forces like natural disasters. A consequence of this suffering is that many of us may fall prey to our emotional dispositions thereby questioning God’s existence or entering into a state of some form psychological malady.

Islamic Theology however provides the conceptual ‘tools’ necessary for the Muslim to overcome this problem. Islamic Theology is derived from two main sources, the Qur’an and the hadith literature. The Qur’an is a divine book that Muslims believes to be the word of God, and the hadith are divinely inspired statements attributed to the Prophet Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). The following verses from the Qur’an and sayings from hadith provide all the necessary comfort for the Muslim.

The Prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) said:

“Amazing is the affair of the believer, verily all of his affair is good and this is not for no one except the believer. If something of good/happiness befalls him he is grateful and that is good for him. If something of harm befalls him he is patient and that is good for him.”

“Anyone who dies of the plague is a martyr. Anyone who dies of a stomach illness is a martyr. Anyone who drowns is a martyr.”

“There are seven classes of martyrs except the one who is killed while fighting in the cause of God: one who dies in plague is a martyr; one who dies due to drowning is a martyr; one who is killed of Zat al-Janb disease (a disease that attacks ribs and causes inner ulcerations) is a martyr; one who dies of diseases of stomach is a martyr; one who is killed by fire is a martyr; one who is crushed under a wall is a martyr; and a woman who dies while delivery (or pregnancy) is a martyr.”

“No calamity befalls a Muslim but that Allah expiates some of his sins because of it, even though it were the prick he receives from a thorn.”

The Qur’an says,

“Do you think that you will enter paradise without any trials while you have known the examples of those who passed away before you? They were afflicted with suffering and adversity and were so violently shaken up that even the Prophet and the believers with him cried out: ‘When will God’s help come?’ Be aware, God’s help is close.”

“Surely with every difficulty there is relief. Surely with every difficulty there is relief.”

“Let there rise from among you a band of people who should invite to righteousness, enjoin good and forbid evil: such are the one, who shall be successful.”

Since the Muslim is intellectually convinced that these statements are from God, then it follows they are truth claims that not only comfort the Muslim, but fills his heart with tranquility.
Re: Who Created God? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Nov 13, 2011
^^^
I don't buy any of your argument. preach to those who want to hear something about Islam. Assalama lekom is not for me dude!
Re: Who Created God? by ektbear: 11:40pm On Nov 13, 2011
Why are we assuming anyone created God?

Maybe he has always existed, I dunno. Or maybe he came into being w/o any other "being" making him.
Re: Who Created God? by abbey621(m): 11:44pm On Nov 13, 2011
For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who don't, no amount of proof can be justified. For all Atheist, ask yourselves these? Are you able to wake yourself up after sleep or can you control when sleep comes? If you cannot, then you agree that there is a force unlike any other force that causes this things to happen, in religion this is called a spirit and since God is a spiritual force therefore he can never be quantified, something all atheist are trying to do. Before Christianity, before Islam, before Buddhism, there has been a believe in a supreme being, capable of anything, a force that we humans can never understand, a force that can never be questioned, neither can it be quantified by mere logical intrusions.
Re: Who Created God? by Rgp92: 11:45pm On Nov 13, 2011
ekt_bear:

Why are we assuming anyone created God?

Maybe he has always existed, I dunno. Or maybe he came into being w/o any other "being" making him.

Everything as a beginning and an ending.
Re: Who Created God? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:46pm On Nov 13, 2011
[size=13pt]Yeah , like i have clearly wrote that this isn't for argument --- we're to find out the truth about this thread soon  smiley

hehehehe-- grin i feel like laughing reading your write up though most especially the part that say you're a Muslim-- u see? this place is open for every one your religion doesn't really matter okay . grin grin

1. Where is the Prove (S) that a good God that is omnipotent exist? You can't just say that God exist without giving PROOF .

2. Evil Exist i know very well but who is the source of evil?

3. Your number three on the list Contradict  the number one on the list

Another way to approach the impossibility of God is to think about the concept of omniscience which you've been talking about ever since grin . If God is omniscient, then it means that he knows every single thing that happens in the universe, both now and infinitely into the future. Do you have free will in such a universe? Clearly not. God knows everything that will happen to you. Therefore, the instant you were created, God knows whether you are going to heaven or hell. To create someone knowing that that person will be damned to hell for eternity is the epitome of evil.

Here is another way to understand the impossibility of God. If you look at the definition of God, you can see that he is defined as the "originator and ruler of the universe". Why does the universe need an originator -- a creator? Because, according to religious logic, the universe cannot exist unless it has a creator. A believer will say, "nothing can exist unless it is created." However, that satement immediately constructs a contradiction, because we must then wonder who created God--- Yeah , who created God? like our topic clearly said . For a believer the answer to that is simple -- "God is the one thing that does not need a creator  undecided . God is timeless and has always existed." How can it be that the everything MUST have a creator, while God must NOT. . . huh  The contradiction in the definition of God is palpable.  grin

As soon as your think about the concept of a perfect, omnipotent, omniscient being, you realize the impossibility of the concept. That impossibility is yet another way to see that God is imaginary.  cheesy wink
[/size]

tbaba1234:

I am muslim, the problem of evil is not a valid argument against the existence of God.

The internal problem of evil presents its premises as follows:

1. A good God that is omnipotent exist

2. Evil exists

3. Therefore a good God that is omnipotent doesn’t exist

H. J. McCloskey in his article ‘God and Evil’ summarises the problem well,

“Evil is a problem for the theist in that a contradiction is involved in the fact of evil, on the one hand, and the belief in the omnipotence and perfection of God on the other.”

Responding to the Internal Problem of Evil

The first point that needs to be made is that statements (1) and (2) are not logically inconsistent as there is no apparent contradiction. For the atheist to jump to the conclusion that a good God that is omnipotent doesn’t exist is an unwarranted, unless he has assumed, in the words of Philosopher William Craig, “some hidden premises”[4].

These hidden premises seem to be the following,

4. If God is omnipotent, then he can create any world he wants

5. If God is good, then he prefers a world without evil

Statement (4) suggests that since God can create and do anything, then he can create free human beings who always decide to do the right thing and do not fall into evil or suffering. Statement (5) suggests that God is all good so much so that if he could create a world without evil and suffering he would. Otherwise he would himself be evil to prefer that humans experience evil and suffering.

The proponent of this version of the problem of evil has made some unjustified assumptions. These hidden premises make some daring assumptions; firstly it assumes a Christian type of God, one that is just good and omnipotent. Secondly it assumes that God doesn’t have any reasons to permit evil and suffering in the world.

Responding to the first assumption

Muslims do not only believe that God is just good and omnipotent. Muslims believe that part of God’s names and attributes include ‘the Just’, ‘the Severe in Punishment’, ‘the Wise’, ‘the Avenger’, and ‘the Compassionate’, amongst many others. So statements (1, 4 and 5) are inaccurate as the Muslim does not reduce God to parts, rather God is seen as one and unique in context of all his names and attributes. So if God was just good and omnipotent, then there may be problem in reconciling suffering and evil in the world. However if you include attributes such as ‘the Severe in Punishment’ and ‘the Wise’, these problems would not exist. Because perceived evil and suffering in the world can be due to,

• God’s punishment as a result of our sins and bad actions.

• God’s wisdom, as there may be divine wisdom in permitting evil and suffering. Even if we can’t evaluate what the wisdom is, it doesn’t mean it is not there. To argue such a thing would be a logical fallacy, known as the argument from ignorance (argumentum ad ignorantiam). The story of Khidr which can be found in the 18th chapter of Qur’an from verses 60 to 82 is an eloquent account of how God’s wisdom, whether understood or not, has positive results and benefits for humanity.

In addition to this the Muslim can argue that the problem of evil is logically posterior to the existence of God. You need to establish that God exists first before attempting to reconcile who God is with our perception of reality, in this case, evil and suffering.

Lastly the meaning of the word ‘good’ attributed to God needs to be understood in a divine context. In general terms the word ‘good’ has a meaning that relates to human experience, whereas in Islamic theology ‘good’ as an attribute of God is primarily viewed as a unique attribute that can be appreciated but not fully comprehended due to his uniqueness and transcendental nature. Therefore the underlying assumption that evil and a good God cannot coexist may be true with a Christian view of God. However it doesn’t apply to the Islamic concept of God as the atheist will have to reconcile evil and suffering with something that he cannot fully comprehend. So his premises are false due to his incorrect assumption that ‘good’ in the context of God is related to a human understanding of good.
Re: Who Created God? by thehomer: 11:48pm On Nov 13, 2011
tbaba1234:

First valid Question:

For an answer to your question: please see my post where i make an argument for God, https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-791245.0.html Thanks

You may go and check my response.
Re: Who Created God? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 11:48pm On Nov 13, 2011
cheesy cheesy wink

babalo1:

Funny as it may sound, to Christians God created Man but to Atheist, it seems the other way around.
Re: Who Created God? by ypad: 11:49pm On Nov 13, 2011
God is uncreated He lives from everlasting to everlasting (Psalm 90:2).
He has no beginning nor ending. He is known as the Almighty God (Genesis 17:1).
He is also know as Jehovah meaning Self existing One or One who lives of Himself, He has neither beginning nor ending but lives from everlasting to everlasting. (Exodus 6:3)
His first creation was Jesus Christ (Col. 1:18, Rev. 3:14, Eph. 3:9, John 1:1-3). Through Him (Jesus Christ) God created heavens and earth.
Re: Who Created God? by sholay2011(m): 11:50pm On Nov 13, 2011
@op Wu creatd God? a questn indeed. y dnt u start by answering y d pacific ocean has nt dried up?
stewpid lousy ppl lukin 4 trouble,
b4 i tongue-lash necessary quarters, i believe God is d supreme nd His existence is a mysterious mystery that is yet 2 b unraveled, at least, nt a place lyk nairaland.
but if u re so impatient to wait 4 d ansa 2 ur questn, u can fast4ward ur lifespan by drinkin conc. HCl. b4 u knw it, u re in frnt of baba GOD (dats if u re nt burning in fire alredi). u can nw ask Him hw He was creatd, am sure He wud b quite glad 2 ansa u, wink
Re: Who Created God? by Kay17: 11:51pm On Nov 13, 2011
Why is there an effect after a cause? An uncaused cause does not exempt itself from the need from a cause, except to avoid the problem of infinity.
Re: Who Created God? by thehomer: 11:51pm On Nov 13, 2011
tbaba1234:

The external problem of evil

The internal problem of evil fails to convince, however the external problem of evil seems more persuasive because it seems to acknowledge the co-existence of God and evil in the world, but denies God’s existence due to the level of the evil in the world. The external problem of evil argues the following:

1. A good God that is omnipotent exists

2. Gratuitous evil exists

3. Therefore, God does not exist

For the Muslim statement (2) is subjective and not entirely true. The Muslim will believe that evil exists, but not that gratuitous evil exists, and since this is based upon human subjectivity then the external problem of evil carries no weight. The proponent of this argument will have to show that gratuitous evil or evil itself are objective without reference to human subjectivity.

The essential problem with this argument is shown in the following questions:

• What makes our value judgments objectively true?

• What are our definitions of gratuitous evil?

The proponent of the problem of evil  faces a problem because God is required a rational basis for objective good and evil (whether gratuitous or not). Without God these terms are relative as there is no conceptual anchor, apart from God himself, which transcends human subjectivity. So the terms evil and good make no sense or are just ephemeral without God. Therefore in order for the atheist’s premise to make objective sense, God’s existence is necessary. In this light the Muslim or theist may argue:

1. If God did not exist, then objective moral values would not exist

2. Evil exists

3. Therefore objective moral values exists (from premise 2)

4. Therefore, God exists

Explaining the key premise: Premise (1)

The question about objective good or bad, in other words objective morality, has been discussed by many theists and non-theists alike. Many have concluded that there is no objective morality without God. Humanist philosopher Paul Kurtz aptly puts it,

“The central question about moral and ethical principles concerns this ontological foundation. If they are neither derived from God nor anchored in some transcendent ground, are they purely ephemeral?”

Wow. You're really ripping off the works of a Christian apologist.
Will you be able to defend these views?
Re: Who Created God? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 13, 2011
The answer is simple: Man created God!
Re: Who Created God? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Nov 13, 2011
Religionists as well as theists are on drug called God or  they are still be waiting for the million dollars to be wired to them by the  419.
Re: Who Created God? by ektbear: 11:52pm On Nov 13, 2011
Rgp92:

Everything as a beginning and an ending.

Why is this true? We don't know. Maybe some things have existed forever, right? I don't know.
Re: Who Created God? by tbaba1234: 11:53pm On Nov 13, 2011
thehomer:

Wow. You're really ripping off the works of a Christian apologist.
Will you be able to defend these views?

I am not a christian,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Man Kneels Down To Welcome Apostle Suleman In Sweden(photos) / MFM: Daniel Olukoya Sues Thisday Newspaper For N500 Billion For Libel / Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka In Subsidy Removal(he Cursed Jonathan)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.