Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,003 members, 7,903,197 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 07:30 AM

US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune (17268 Views)

President Buhari Leaves For US Tomorrow March 30th. / President Buhari Leaves For South Africa (Photos) / Fayose Attacks APC Again With An Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Tribune(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nyntynplus: 2:20pm On Nov 21, 2011
why can't dey dash us deir nuclear weapons?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by alpontif(m): 2:32pm On Nov 21, 2011
@Nytnplus, me sef i wonder oooo, !!!
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Frendys(m): 2:39pm On Nov 21, 2011
American can do crazy things atimes. Is it this kind of gift that we need for now? Do you know what it takes to maintain a modern war boat not to mention antiquated cruzer boat like this?

I weep for American and my beloved country Nigeria because the two do not really understand their needs in order of priority.

We need light and employment and other infrastructural rehabilititation including the roads, refineries and the textile industries in the North of Nigeria. Until these things are in place, Nigerians will continue to flock in their millions to the United States and other developed countries of the world. Amongst this flock will be the terrible ones that may not fit into that society creating problems for them and giving our country a bad image.

The most needful and immediate gifts to Nigeria now is in the area of electricity supply and revamping of moribound industries that would create jobs and dissuade the youths from seeking life outside the country by all means.

No doubt, security is very important but we need to tackle security with modern equipment and strategies. I do not think a war boat could be deployed to the Northern part of the country to tackle the Boko Haram menace. Modern intelligence gathering using sophisticated communication equipment will help.

'Dashing' the nation an old war boat is solely in the interest of America as a nation. It would be too expensive for us to operate and maintain the boat and I foresee it would be abandoned in no time.

Our leaders should learn to make the right requests and refuse to accept gifts that are really not in our best interest!
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 2:45pm On Nov 21, 2011
No be lie jor. But since Boko Haram reject western civilization, what makes you think they will allow development to take place in the north?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Wallie(m): 3:02pm On Nov 21, 2011
Frendys:

American can do crazy things atimes. Is it this kind of gift that we need for now? Do you know what it takes to maintain a modern war boat not to mention antiquated cruzer boat like this?

I weep for American and my beloved country Nigeria because the two do not really understand their needs in order of priority.

We need light and employment and other infrastructural rehabilititation including the roads, refineries and the textile industries in the North of Nigeria. Until these things are in place, Nigerians will continue to flock in their millions to the United States and other developed countries of the world. Amongst this flock will be the terrible ones that may not fit into that society creating problems for them and giving our country a bad image.

The most needful and immediate gifts to Nigeria now is in the area of electricity supply and revamping of moribound industries that would create jobs and dissuade the youths from seeking life outside the country by all means.

No doubt, security is very important but we need to tackle security with modern equipment and strategies. I do not think a war boat could be deployed to the Northern part of the country to tackle the Boko Haram menace. Modern intelligence gathering using sophisticated communication equipment will help.

'Dashing' the nation an old war boat is solely in the interest of America as a nation. It would be too expensive for us to operate and maintain the boat and I foresee it would be abandoned in no time.

Our leaders should learn to make the right requests and refuse to accept gifts that are really not in our best interest!

You seem to think that it will be too expensive for Nigeria to maintain the ship, yet there are others that think that Nigeria can afford a new boat.

You are right be stating that the immediate need of Nigeria is to combat the Boko Haram menace but you also have to realize that you don’t want your security apparatus to be mostly reactionary. You do have to plan ahead and try to nip problems in the bud before it becomes cancerous.

If Nigeria had tried to allocate a substantial amount of money in developing its modern equipment arsenal to combat threats that Boko Haram posses just a few years ago, people would have been shouting that money is being wasted on something not needed.

All I’m saying is that, you can’t just develop capability overnight, even if you have the money, because the most modern arsenal will be useless in the hands of untrained people. The security threat of yesterday was MEND; today it is Boko Haram; do you know who the threat might be from tomorrow?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by crackhouse(m): 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2011
Can Nigeria Navy use and maintain it?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by itiswell1(m): 4:04pm On Nov 21, 2011
I hope this stuff will not be like the scanner donated by US and it could not differentiate btw akpu and drugs.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nobody: 4:07pm On Nov 21, 2011
All those criticizing a free gift, still better than spending hundreds of millions on far pressing national matters.

With the threat of piracy only rivaling Somalia in our creeks and waterways.

This ship can be employed in rapid response situations, far easier to deploy an helicopter from a ship offshore
than scrambling a rapid response boat or whatever contraption from onshore.  Pirates do know how to circumnavigate through nooks and crannies to escape. An aerial presence can counter that advantage. . .

Bar the old age, Some of this ship classes are still in US service. We simply lack good maintenance culture in Nigeria.

If you must know, the Philippino government was lobbying heavily to acquire all the available ones in the face of increasing aggression from China to no avail
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 21, 2011
i give that thing one month and it will be non-functional. an ordinary vectra cannot be maintained for more than a month in 9ja, not to talk of ship.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Wallie(m): 4:22pm On Nov 21, 2011
it is well:

I hope this stuff will not be like the scanner donated by US and it could not differentiate btw akpu and drugs.

The scanner only shows what's within your intestines and it's up to the operators to make a conclusion. Humans determine if it is likely to be drugs or not. Here's what they should have seen:

Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by xrazzy(m): 4:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
Basically from International politics perspective, i think US is preparing for war in our country. we should not forget US prediction that Nigeria will break up by 2015 or so. Adding the massive US arm buildup in Equitorial Guinea, one can come out with a hypothesis that in an event of biafra (or this time boko haram) war II in the country, US will roll out arms from Equitorial Guinea and annex the oil - rich part of the country with Equitorial Guinea, I think donating a warship that can be programmed back to work in US interest during such war is good strategic maneuvering towards 'operation naijasplit 2015'
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by chineloSA(f): 5:57pm On Nov 21, 2011
Sad, with all the oil produced in the country.

We reduce ourselves to being another sorry case for American donation.
Actually we are a dumping site.

Can't we afford this excuse of a warship

Lord have mercy.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by TomFord: 6:02pm On Nov 21, 2011
1968?

c'mon,there are countless warships,subs and the likes which have been decommissioned in russia(as a result of the end of the cold war)
why not look towards that direction?A 1968 cutter will likely cost more to maintain
The navy should be strategizing on how best to do business with the russians cos time has shown they are unparalleled and unrivaled when it comes to deep sea combat as well as in surface tech

btw what's wrong with your Government that it simply can not say 'thanks but no thanks' or betterstill,why not request to be taught how to build/design,operate,maintain such tech?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by naptu2: 6:03pm On Nov 21, 2011
First time we are getting a 2nd hand thunder class frigate (Obuma & Aradu were commissioned by the Nigerian Navy). By the way, why has it been given an English name (Obuma=Thunder in Efik, Aradu=thunder in Hausa).
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by dadicvila(m): 7:16pm On Nov 21, 2011
If them no give us na una go say them too stingy,them give us una go still complain, na wa oO!! undecided undecided
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Wallie(m): 7:29pm On Nov 21, 2011
Tom Ford:

1968?

c'mon,there are countless warships,subs and the likes which have been decommissioned in russia(as a result of the end of the cold war)
why not look towards that direction?A 1968 cutter will likely cost more to maintain

The navy should be strategizing on how best to do business with the russians cos time has shown they are unparalleled and unrivaled when it comes to deep sea combat as well as in surface tech

btw what's wrong with your Government that it simply can not say 'thanks but no thanks' or betterstill,why not request to be taught how to build/design,operate,maintain such tech?

Not trying to single you out as most people are guilty of the same but can you point to any evidence of this apart from your opinion? Linked articles or scholarly written papers? Anything at all?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by ocelot2006(m): 7:45pm On Nov 21, 2011
The boat is a high endurance cutter according to US designation, but would be classed a frigate like Aradu by other navies. Aradu is bigger, but I strongly doubt it has the capabilities of our new NNS Thunder. The US has done very well for us.

A 1960 Cutter more capable than a 1980 built MEKO Class Frigate (NNS Aradu) armed with the deadly Exocet/Otomat MK1 missiles? Yeah right.

First, it was the WW2 junk NNS Nwamba, now this. Oh well, maybe the Navy can convert for target practise.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by atlantisls: 9:50pm On Nov 21, 2011
I was once taught this in school. The USA donated photocopying machines to Saddam in the 80s and he recieved it with open arms. Unfortunately, every document that was copied on all the machies were duplicated to US intelligence. That's how they got to get so much intel on Saddam. Think about what we risk as a nation if this ship has been bugged before they sent it down to us, There's no free lunch in the USA buddies, they give with the right hand, they take with the left hand and two feet! They should have sent that thing to somalia to fight piracy. We sure don't need it here.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by pleep(m): 9:55pm On Nov 21, 2011
Is there any one else here who is tired of the BS?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Wallie(m): 10:01pm On Nov 21, 2011
atlantisls:

I was once taught this in school. The USA donated photocopying machines to Saddam in the 80s and he recieved it with open arms. Unfortunately, every document that was copied on all the machies were duplicated to US intelligence. That's how they got to get so much intel on Saddam. Think about what we risk as a nation if this ship has been bugged before they sent it down to us, There's no free lunch in the USA buddies, they give with the right hand, they take with the right hand and two feet! They should have sent that thing to somalia to fight piracy. We sure don't need it here.

Lol…someone that is already parading the market square naked is worried about being given a piece of transparent clothing to cover his groin!

1. They can listen and monitor your phone calls.
2. They can monitor your air space.
3. They can see different parts of the country at almost anytime.
4. They even get information volunteered to them by the politicians and military leaders.

What new information can bugging the ship provide?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by atlantisls: 10:05pm On Nov 21, 2011
Wallie:

Lol…someone that is already parading the market square Unclad is worried about being given a piece of transparent clothing to cover his groin!

1. They can listen and monitor your phone calls.
2. They can monitor your air space.
3. They can see different parts of the country at almost anytime.
4. They even get information volunteered to them by the politicians and military leaders.

What new information can bugging the ship provide?

Well, now they'll know more about what is going on in our Navy! and that's simply access to more information!
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by ocelot2006(m): 10:14pm On Nov 21, 2011
What can bugging a ship do?hmmmmm, let's see. How about access to info on the ship, particularly from its CiC deck, from its electronic warfare suits, onboard weaponry, access to classified battle plans from the secure communication suits installed (satcom), and info on ship's location? You still think the gift is a great idea?

Anyway, I strongly suggest the navy sweeps the ship for bugs. Maybe call in the Chinese to help with that.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by moshoodn(m): 10:19pm On Nov 21, 2011
Really bad. . . We're better without an old trash.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by deadie(m): 10:22pm On Nov 21, 2011
Thank you America, for the Tokumbo death trap. Hope they can get GEJ, David Mark and all the useless politicians on the boat and have it sink someplace in the Atlanticcheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Wallie(m): 10:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
atlantisls:

Well, now they'll know more about what is going on in our Navy! and that's simply access to more information!

OK. But why would they need to know more? Moreover, look in the link below under Navy fleet to see how many other ships were acquired from the US. How about the ships acquired from UK and Germany? Are you sure those are safe? Pretty much every country that supplied a ship to Nigeria are considered die-hard allies of the US. Maybe we should return all the ships as they could be bugged by their respective suppliers and the information gained will be given to the arch-enemy of Nigeria, the US?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Navy

While you're at it, you might want to monitor the computer parts, spare parts, machinery, technological equipment, food, and drinks coming from the US as they too might be bugged or used to read your mind!
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Wallie(m): 10:39pm On Nov 21, 2011
ocelot2006:

What can bugging a ship do?hmmmmm, let's see. How about access to info on the ship, particularly from its CiC deck, from its electronic warfare suits, onboard weaponry, access to classified battle plans from the secure communication suits installed (satcom), and info on ship's location? You still think the gift is a great idea?

Anyway, I strongly suggest the navy sweeps the ship for bugs. Maybe call in the Chinese to help with that.

Tell me a single piece technical equipment used by the Nigerian military that is manufactured in Nigeria? How can you be so sure that what was purchased by the military wasn't bugged by US operatives?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by atlantisls: 10:45pm On Nov 21, 2011
Wallie:

OK. But why would they need to know more? Moreover, look in the link below under Navy fleet to see how many other ships were acquired from the US. How about the ships acquired from UK and Germany? Are you sure those are safe? Pretty much every country that supplied a ship to Nigeria are considered die-hard allies of the US. Maybe we should return all the ships as they could be bugged by their respective suppliers and the information gained will be given to the arch-enemy of Nigeria, the US?

While you're at it, you might want to monitor the computer parts, spare parts, machinery, technological equipment, food, and drinks coming from the US as they too might be bugged or used to read your mind!

If you have a point, make it, and stop being silly! (I don't mean this in an abusive way though). Just for the records, the US will be glad to see Nigeria use that ship to patrol the Niger Delta. long and short, protect their interest in Nigerian OlL. Just for the record (and so you know), I started my first comment by talking about being taught about Saddam's acceptance of the copiers from America. That class was taught by a NASA programmer and someone really into US intel. He said it point blank, there's just no limit to how far the US can go to get info. Somalia needs warships, we already have enough.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Wallie(m): 10:48pm On Nov 21, 2011
I made the point a thousand ways already!!!! Reply to any one of them.

Wallie:

Tell me a single piece technical equipment used by the Nigerian military that is manufactured in Nigeria? How can you be so sure that what was purchased by the military wasn't bugged by US operatives?

Wallie:

, Moreover, look in the link below under Navy fleet to see how many other ships were acquired from the US. How about the ships acquired from UK and Germany? Are you sure those are safe? [/b]Pretty much every country that supplied a ship to Nigeria are considered die-hard allies of the US. [b]Maybe we should return all the ships as they could be bugged by their respective suppliers and the information gained will be given to the arch-enemy of Nigeria, the US?

Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by atlantisls: 11:05pm On Nov 21, 2011
baba, I no get time for argument, I dey go sleep. grin tongue lol
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Wallie(m): 11:06pm On Nov 21, 2011
atlantisls:

If you have a point, make it, and stop being silly! (I don't mean this in an abusive way though). Just for the records, the US will be glad to see Nigeria use that ship to patrol the Niger Delta. long and short, protect their interest in Nigerian OlL. Just for the record (and so you know), I started my first comment by talking about being taught about Saddam's acceptance of the copiers from America. That class was taught by a NASA programmer and someone really into US intel.  He said it point blank, there's just no limit to how far the US can go to get info. Somalia needs warships, we already have enough.

Seems that there's an ability to modify comments already quoted as you just modified you post. Cool.

I agree that your assertions about the copier sent to Iraq seem plausible. But unless Nigeria has another internal source for her technological needs, how can one be so sure that everything we import is not bugged?

My somewhat rhetorical questions are designed to get you to give more than a cursory thought to the subject at hand. Most countries worried about such a thing will manufacture the needed equipments in-house. Think China.

Also, with regards to the NASA guy, this is an anonymous forum and you don't know who I am nor do you know my background. For all you know, I could be a “nobody” or a wannabe just passing time on the internet or I could be someone with some inside knowledge.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by ocelot2006(m): 11:07pm On Nov 21, 2011
@ Wallie, no one is concerned about normal consumer goods, but rather a possible asset that will affect the nation's national security. We're talking about a ship that will be deployed to protect the nations territorial waters and exclusive economic zone.

The Brazilians had a similar issue. Early 2000, they sought for an integrated system that will enable them monitor the vast amazon jungle for drug smugglers, illegal loggers, and possible incursions into the country's territory. This integrated system of course involved UAVs, ballons fixed with cameras, AWAC aircrafts, a number of other communication suits for a central Command Communication Intelligence and Control (CCIC) centre, a number of observation satellites, and of course the human element (army, navy and airforce units). Now the most of the elemnts of the system could be easily sourced with the country, particularly from Embrear (Brazilian manufacturer of aircrafts), and the military. But the one system that gave them a lot of concern were the satellites designed and Manufactured by Raytheon, one of the major US defense contractors. their concern stemmed not from the quality of the satellite systems requested, but rather that the US intelligence services, particularly the National Reconnaissance Office(NRO), the NSA, and the CIA, would illegal gain access to the system and spy on them (particularly Brazilian troop movement through the amazon). So you see, people's concern about this "gift" is justified.

Anyway, as the NNS Thunder returns to Nigeria, before any new weapon, ECM, or comms suits are installed, REALLY need to sweep that ship again and again for bugs.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by NegroNtns(m): 11:20pm On Nov 21, 2011
Beaf, you are into war affairs these days, eh? Have you lost your trust and confidence in GEJ's ability to govern, what's going on bro?

Beside that's a patrol boat! What doesNigeria need a war boat for, who is our enemy?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Orji Uzor Kalu To Be Turbaned In Daura Tomorrow / Uzodimma: I Don’t Want To Join Issue With Obi. APC Members Are Obedient To APC / Why We Have Not Paid The Ikoyi Whistle-blower - Lai Mohammed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.