Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,001 members, 7,903,192 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 July 2024 at 07:20 AM

US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune (17267 Views)

President Buhari Leaves For US Tomorrow March 30th. / President Buhari Leaves For South Africa (Photos) / Fayose Attacks APC Again With An Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Tribune(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nobody: 11:22pm On Nov 21, 2011
That is for a good start! Nice ship for Nigeria.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by atlantisls: 11:31pm On Nov 21, 2011
@Wallie, I think @ocelot2006 has it on point, and that should stop you from arguing. i buy almost everything I use from the US. Shirts, shoes and even toothpaste.  grin. I'll check if the toothpaste can read my mind. lol. But seriously, Stop all the "For all you know, I could be a “nobody” or a wannabe just passing time on the internet or I could be someone with some inside knowledge.". This is 2011. I know you're a smart guy  cool lol.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nobody: 11:35pm On Nov 21, 2011
I smell sell-out.

All that one is just for unneccessary show that we will most certainkly pay for. What is boko doing fighting warship? undecided
Boko are strictly infantry. so unless they ship us like 4 quick-deploy RoboCops or something, all that one na long ting.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by jascon1(m): 12:00am On Nov 22, 2011
we should be grateful. we have been known to using okrika-wake-up for years. if you have had the privilege of parading Nigerian waterways, you will agree with me that our forces are ill-equiped. we need more donations. there is nothing wrong if we set up our companies and bring these expertise here. we have the basic materials for making these vessels.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by pleep(m): 1:16am On Nov 22, 2011
You guys think about it.

imagine you had a 1968 Lamborghini that cost 200k. Now imaging the maintenance costs; oil changes, fuel, cleaning, replaceable parts etc.
So that even if someone wanted to give you the car for free you still wouldn't be able to afford it.

now imagine the maintainace costs for a 40 million dollar warship.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by naptu2: 1:29am On Nov 22, 2011
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by lastpage: 2:49am On Nov 22, 2011
I think that "Cutter Warship" should be sent to Aba (Anambra) and let the Igbo-boys take it apart, bolt-by-bolt, in one years time, we should be exporting our own "copy of the Cutter" to places like Ghana, Cameroun, Togo, e.t.c! grin grin

On a serious note, it seems Nigeria is going the "Pakistani way".
U.S used to be the main "military Aid" provider to Pakistan.
When the U.S needs to o something nasty, it will then "issue instructions" to the Pakistani Army to do it!

Nowadays, U.S has that army under pressure by threatening to cut-off the "sweet AID" that the Pakistani army is so used to, if it dares challneges it on the infringement of its air-space and sovereignty. They regularly engage in sorties, into Pakistani territory (a Nuclear Country!) with so much impunity, killing innocent Pakistani citizens and yet, the Pakistani seems POWERLESS to do anything! WHY IS THIS?

I have heard Pakistani government and its parliament complain bitterly each time a US Drone kills innocent Pakistanis (collateral damage) and l keep wondering, can it be so bad that a Nuclear-Power country canteven defend its territory and citizens, on its homeland?

Well, we should beware of geting addicted to this "Free Gifts" cos no sooner than later, IT WILL BE PAY-BACK TIME!

Yes, we dont produce one.
But we dont need one now (and if we do, we can buy it and pay instalmentally, since they dont get delivered immediately you pay, its to "order".).

Like someone said, we should get our priorities right.
Why dont they give us an Electricity generating Plant from General Electrics (G.E)?
Why dont they part-finance a new Refinery with us?
Why dont they agree to fund the training of 3,000 Engineers from Nigeria, in an American establishment?
Why dont they give us the "blueprint" for some Army Trucks or some of their patented Agricultural Products?
How about supplying us with 10,000 Farm tractors?
How about supplying our Universities with a million Laptops or equipping our Laboratories IF THEY REALLY WANT TO BE GENEROUS TO US?

So, its a 43 yrs old Uncle of a Coast Guard Boat that is most precious to GEJ's government?

God dey, e dey above, e dey watch us and e dey watch you too, Uncle GEJ! wink angry cry
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nnenna1(f): 5:06am On Nov 22, 2011
What's up with the sudden U.S. military interest in Nigeria?

Hmmm, sad I guess what will be will be.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Kobojunkie: 5:17am On Nov 22, 2011
um . . . There is NOTHING sudden about this. The donation was made more than 6 months ago.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by ebere1712: 5:31am On Nov 22, 2011
Yeah send the fully functional intel equip to the Nigerians. Them silly lowlife monkeys would thank you very much whilst you are giving a very hard do*ggy on the a*sss. Fake a*ss Africans can't do nothing for themselves. I pity y'all when the third world war starts cry . Next thing GEJ and some Nigerians would say Americans are their allies. Go there and hear what they have to say about you. 50+ years and the military can't build one simple bicycle. All they do is sit on their fat as*ses and steal money. Lazy lowlifes  cry Try to ask them of their achievements and they point to the fake a*ss missions they have gone on to enslave the already enslaved. Fuc**king fucktards. Morons.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by texazzpete(m): 7:22am On Nov 22, 2011
The USS Enterprise is still serving as America's premier Aircraft Carrier despite being built in 1961 yet some poorly educated louts here are complaining that a ship made in 1968 is 'too old for Nigeria'

I wonder if these imbecilic dolts realize which country they live in? NEWSFLASH: This is Nigeria o! Your country's naval flagship (NNS Aradu) is a mere frigate and is most likely less capable than this ship dem dash una. Yet you people are complaining?!

Nigerians can be very very dumb sometimes, I swear.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by nelly4(f): 10:07am On Nov 22, 2011
really appauling, even if we seem not to have a choice, the FG shouldnt have made this public knowing how old and decommisioned the vessel condition is, mmmchewww angry angry
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by nelly4(f): 11:00am On Nov 22, 2011
texazzpete (m)
Offline Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune
« #106 on: Today at 07:22:16 AM »

The USS Enterprise is still serving as America's premier Aircraft Carrier despite being built in 1961 yet some poorly educated louts here are complaining that a ship made in 1968 is 'too old for Nigeria'
I wonder if these imbecilic dolts realize which country they live in? NEWSFLASH: This is Nigeria o! Your country's naval flagship (NNS Aradu) is a mere frigate and is most likely less capable than this ship dem dash una. Yet you people are complaining?!

@texapete
Reading the rubbish u posted above makes me wana puke, u call Nigerians dumb so that makes u a togolese, abi
If a guy wishes to keep wearing his 50yr old pants thats his business but that doesnt mean he should offer his friend his 43yr old pants, but i fink in your myopic and amnesia infested mind that is ok,
I would like to bliv that ur retarded, lowlife, crumb seeking, hopeless, unambtious, peasant, failure ridden fool like u doesnt understand what its like to constructively critisize an issue on a public forum, i rest my case and dnt dare me
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by texazzpete(m): 11:14am On Nov 22, 2011
nelly4:

texazzpete (m)
Offline Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune
« #106 on: Today at 07:22:16 AM »

@texapete
Reading the rubbish u posted above makes me wana puke, u call Nigerians dumb so that makes u a togolese, abi
If a guy wishes to keep wearing his 50yr old pants thats his business but that doesnt mean he should offer his friend his 43yr old pants, but i fink in your myopic and amnesia infested mind that is ok,
I would like to bliv that your slow, lowlife, crumb seeking, hopeless, unambtious, peasant, failure ridden fool like u doesnt understand what its like to constructively critisize an issue on a public forum, i rest my case and dnt dare me

You have always been an intellectual flyweight, so I'm not bothered. The day the likes of Jakumo, Ekt_bear and other worthy sparring partners start calling me out, that's when I'll begin to worry.

Look, let me give you a simple analogy for you to Understand (since we've already established that you're not too bright)

if you have a fleet of Volkswagen Beetle cars, will you start complaining when someone gives you a very well maintained 1996 Toyota Camry?

PS: Your own analogy on someone wearing 50 year old pants is rather daft when you think about the fact that the analogy refers to the US Navy which is the world's largest and most powerful naval force.
When you consider that the Coast guard vessels have been kept in top shape with state of the art equipment to track down fast drug smugglers, one wonders which kind of Nigerian will be turning their nose up at this gift.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by sandysprax(m): 12:07pm On Nov 22, 2011
atlantisls:

I was once taught this in school. The USA donated photocopying machines to Saddam in the 80s and he recieved it with open arms. Unfortunately, every document that was copied on all the machies were duplicated to US intelligence. That's how they got to get so much intel on Saddam. Think about what we risk as a nation if this ship has been bugged before they sent it down to us, There's no free lunch in the USA buddies, they give with the right hand, they take with the left hand and two feet! They should have sent that thing to somalia to fight piracy. We sure don't need it here.

And this time that Nigeria has officially been declared a terrorist nation.I think its a move by the US to nip the problem in the bud.Sort of check on Nigeria and her terrorism issues to know when exactly to strike.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by debosky(m): 12:28pm On Nov 22, 2011
I wish people would stop the silly and idiotic 'conspiracy' crap and focus on the NEEDS here.

We have piracy and kidnapping on our shores - what we need most is a way to stop these incidents from occurring. Even if it is a 'Greek gift', I'd take potential US spying over rampant kidnapping and destruction of economic assets by criminals.

As for those shouting about an 'old vessel', I'm sure none of them have bothered to find out this:

Beginning in the 1980s and ending in 1992[b], the entire class was modernized through the Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM) program,[/b] which included the replacement of the original 5 inch (127 mm)/38 caliber gun with a much more modern 3 inch (76 mm)/50 caliber weapon. The primary mission of these vessels is enforcement of laws and treaties and search and rescue (SAR) on the high seas, including the U.S. exclusive economic zone.

What we need is a vessel to patrol our EEZ - this vessel fits the bill. End of story.

Yes we'd all love new ships and not hand outs, but that's not the pressing need at the moment - this vessel can do the job required at minimal cost.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 22, 2011
* Sigh* sad

It's a sorry case for some Nigerians undecided
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by cap28: 11:36pm On Nov 22, 2011
texazzpete:

You have always been an intellectual flyweight, so I'm not bothered. The day the likes of Jakumo, Ekt_bear and other worthy sparring partners start calling me out, that's when I'll begin to worry.

Look, let me give you a simple analogy for you to Understand (since we've already established that you're not too bright)

if you have a fleet of Volkswagen Beetle cars, will you start complaining when someone gives you a very well maintained 1996 Toyota Camry?

PS: Your own analogy on someone wearing 50 year old pants is rather daft when you think about the fact that the analogy refers to the US Navy which is the world's largest and most powerful naval force.
When you consider that the Coast guard vessels have been kept in top shape with state of the art equipment to track down fast drug smugglers, one wonders which kind of Nigerian will be turning their nose up at this gift.

if you could only get up off your knees for one second and develop some dignity and self respect you would understand why the US decided to offload this piece of scrap onto the nigerian govt.

this is nigeria's present for voting in favour of the no fly zone over libya - nigeria agreed to sell out its fellow african country to the europeans and americans in exchange for a 43 year old fishing boat - dont you find that tragic?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 22, 2011
This ship is in trouble. cheesy

the Us won't recognize it in the next 3 years grin
Is it not recently that a ship in naija had a gas-leak & blew up because of bad maintenance & complacent actions? tongue

Naija needs grace of God to maintain good thing.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by emmatok(m): 12:50am On Nov 23, 2011
Another TROJAN HORSE landing in Nigeria.

AH AH AH. grin grin grin grin
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Beaf: 12:55am On Nov 23, 2011
cap28:

if you could only get up off your knees for one second and develop some dignity and self respect you would understand why the US decided to offload this piece of scrap onto the nigerian govt.

this is nigeria's present for voting in favour of the no fly zone over libya - nigeria agreed to sell out its fellow african country to the europeans and americans in exchange for a 43 year old fishing boat - dont you find that tragic?

Daft conspiracy theory addled bullshiit as usual.
Crap 28, that ship fought in the Vietnam war.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by texazzpete(m): 6:58am On Nov 23, 2011
cap28:

If only you would get off your knees and actively try to use your limited brains, you'd see that the so-called 'fishing boat' is more powerful than at least 95% of our Naval warships.

Only a dolt like you would call a warship built to patrol and defend the coast of the US as well as chase down and apprehend well armed smugglers a 'fishing boat'.

May the Deity you believe in deliver you from this foolishness.

Beaf:

Daft conspiracy theory addled bullshiit as usual.
Crap 28, that ship fought in the Vietnam war.

You just gotta love these nutty conspiracy theorists. They can happily make up all sort of stories without a shred of proof to back them up grin
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by ocelot2006(m): 8:17am On Nov 23, 2011
@ Texazzpete

You are wrong. The current flagship NNS Aradu alone has far more (and way better) firepower than the new NNS Thunder. Even our smaller corvettes/Fast Attack Boats are heavily armed with SSMs. The one weapon on the NNS Thunder i.e the PHALANX AA Gun, was removed.

@ Beaf, the ship may have fought in the Vietnam war. But that doesn't change the fact that it's way too old. This is basically a repeat of what happened last time when we were given a WW2 Cutter (the current NNS Nwamba). Oh well, at least it's "free".
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by debosky(m): 10:46am On Nov 23, 2011
cap28:

The Phillipines also got a similar vessel. . . .care to explain the reason for that 'present' as well?

ocelot2006:

@ Texazzpete

You are wrong. The current flagship NNS Aradu alone has far more (and way better) firepower than the new NNS Thunder. Even our smaller corvettes/Fast Attack Boats are heavily armed with SSMs. The one weapon on the NNS Thunder i.e the PHALANX AA Gun, was removed.

And you don't think the $8m refurbishment carried out by the Nigerian Navy would have installed any weaponry?

@ Beaf, the ship may have fought in the Vietnam war. But that doesn't change the fact that it's way too old. This is basically a repeat of what happened last time when we were given a WW2 Cutter (the current NNS Nwamba). Oh well, at least it's "free".

How is it way too old? A vessel that was extensively refurbished in the late 80's and early 90'2? A vessel that the Nigerian government has also spent $8m on additional refurbishments before transporting to Nigeria?

What exactly makes it 'way too old'?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by debosky(m): 10:54am On Nov 23, 2011
For the conspiracy theorists, this should make for interesting reading:

The Coast Guard sent out a message soliciting interest in the excess cutters after proposing to decommission the cutters in the
President’s fiscal year 2011 budget. Four countries responded with a letter of interest: the Philippines, Nigeria, Bangladesh and Uruguay.
The Coast Guard developed a strategic allocation recommendation explaining which countries should receive the cutters and forwarded
the recommendation in August 2010 to the U.S. Defense Security Cooperation Agency, which later sent it to the State Department and
Congress for final approval. The condition of each cutter was fully disclosed since EDA transfers take place “as is.” Each country was invited to send technical teams to the cutters’ homeport of San Diego during consecutive weeks in November 2010 to conduct a
thorough inspection, known as a Joint Visual Inspection, or JVI, of its prospective cutter.
The two countries conducted full reviews, both dockside and underway, of their prospective cutter’s structural condition, propulsion systems, engineering
plan, material history and any corrosion issues. For the Hamilton, the Philippines sent the acting head of their Navy.

Training to acquire the ships began in FEBRUARY - before the Libya situation kicked off. . . . . yet some professional career conspiracy theorists want us to think this is linked to Libyan issues. grin

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg9/newsroom/pdf/CG9newsletterMay11.pdf
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by sandysprax(m): 11:08am On Nov 23, 2011
debosky:

The Phillipines also got a similar vessel. . . .care to explain the reason for that 'present' as well?

And you don't think the $8m refurbishment carried out by the Nigerian Navy would have installed any weaponry?

How is it way too old? A vessel that was extensively refurbished in the late 80's and early 90'2? A vessel that the Nigerian government has also spent $8m on additional refurbishments before transporting to Nigeria?

What exactly makes it 'way too old'?

Dude technology is very very dynamic. something that was built in the 60's cannot rival something built in the 80's talk of 90's
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by ocelot2006(m): 11:11am On Nov 23, 2011
@ debowsky, I assume you're refering to the Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM) program. Well, I must admit that I didn't take note. With the life extension gotten, the phrase "way too old" may be too much. Anyway, it is a "free" gift.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by debosky(m): 11:51am On Nov 23, 2011
sandysprax:

Dude technology is very very dynamic. something that was built in the 60's cannot rival something built in the 80's talk of 90's

The entire fleet went through a Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization (FRAM) program in the late 80s and early 90s - so it is ostensibly an early 90s class vessel we are talking about.

No one said technology isn't dynamic in the first place, but this vessel is way beyond simply being 60's technology, especially when an $8m refurbishment this year is also considered.
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by Nobody: 9:03am On Nov 24, 2011
^^^ Do you want to know a secret? The best place to advertise, where you'll get quick answer and quick love would be 419scam. com.

Onirnu. Christmas is coming and una dey look for human skull calabash abi?
Re: US Warship Leaves For Nigeria Today - Tribune by queensmith: 6:28pm On Dec 05, 2011
- lets see what wikileaks has to say about this. . . . . . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Two Anambra Governorship Aspirants In A Auto Crash. / Breaking News!!! Efcc Arrest Obasanjo And Former President Goodluck Jonathan / If The System Was Working Before 2015, You'd Be In Jail - Buhari Replies Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.