Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,087 members, 7,880,401 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 05:35 PM

My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job - Jobs/Vacancies (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job (22431 Views)

How To Find A Well Paying Remote Jobs Globally / How To Get A High Paying Job In 4 Months In Nigeria / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by dauntless15(m): 1:35pm On May 06
bassdow:

it's wrong jumping to conclusions or assumptions you know. I'm yet to see her show off. Not that I'm idle enough to notice anyway.
Having prior experience isn't same as jumping into conclusions and you don't have to be busy to observe things, if you're too busy you won't be picking random comments on nairaland to reply to either, the irony of that is in the whole unnecessary story you just told.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by MoreTech(m): 1:35pm On May 06
@Pocohantas, pls respond to my message

pocohantas:

You will be fine...✌️
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by dauntless15(m): 1:36pm On May 06
pocohantas:

You will be fine...✌️
Yea you too smiley
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mcslize: 1:37pm On May 06
nams77:

Poco why you no wan show your brother way?
I'm not happy o. You are just being vague and evasive.

Pocohantas na chop alone woman o. No waste your time brother, she no go show you any way. Na so them be. Women sabi hide update eh grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by studycenter: 1:38pm On May 06
Don't beat yourself too much. The interview might not be real. I had exactly a time ago. The interviewer turned off his mic and pretended not to hear me. They made me download and Installed apps on my laptop. That's how they make their money. They get you to run this app for long before the interview. Their interview time is always a month or two from the time they shortlist you. Most of these guys use Singaporean time.

Check that it's not one of them.

2 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by pocohantas(f): 1:40pm On May 06
Mcslize:

Pocohantas na chop alone woman o. No waste your time brother, she no go show you any way. Na so them be. Women sabi hide update eh grin grin

Women sabi hide update, but I created a thread documenting my journey, still shared my Upwork note on this same Nairaland. What have you a man done, aside opening a redpill pharmacy on Nairaland?

Some of you talk without reasoning because you keep trying to burden another person with the task of showing you way.

Since you know how women are, how about you take the mantle? Last time I checked, you are a man and men are logical.

MoreTech:
@Pocohantas, pls respond to my message

Hello!

I don't talk to Nairalanders offline, Sir.

6 Likes

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by MoreTech(m): 1:43pm On May 06
Pocochantas, iwill not mind if you can either email me or we csn chat through whatsapp.

Email is lawalmusibau@ymail.com and contact number is 08028100266

quote author=pocohantas post=129811541]

Women sabi hide update, but I created a thread documenting my journey, still shared my Upwork note on this same Nairaland. What have you a man done, aside opening a redpill pharmacy on Nairaland?

Some of you talk without reasoning because you keep trying to burden another person with the task of showing you way.

Since you know how women are, how about you take the mantle? Last time I checked, you are a man and men are logical.

Hello!

I don't talk to Nairalanders offline, Sir.[/quote]
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Grupo(m): 1:44pm On May 06
BucketMan:
I don't know if some of you might remember this thread i made https://www.nairaland.com/8006821/should-go-masters-degree-remai where i contemplated going for a masters degree instead of remaining jobless at home. Well after assimilating all the advice i got from that thread, i decided to kill two birds with one stone and apply for the masters degree while also getting a laptop to start an online business in writing and copywriting which is where my passion lies.

Shortly after i got the laptop i found a creative writing opportunity via reddit and applied. One of the requirements for the job was to have a really fast typing speed (minimum of 60 words per minute). I just got my laptop so my typing speed was really slow but i resolved to increase it by practicing daily for a month and i grew from 35wpm to 62wpm which the job required.

That was just the beginning, the recruitment process for the job was done through a platform called Discord and they had a specific writing style that they wanted to inculcate in the applicants via daily trainings after which you will have to pass some exams. I started actively training for about a month and felt i was confident enough to take the intro exam, which i did and performed excellently so i moved on to the last stage.

Now this is where things got kind of complicated because this last stage required me to share my laptop screen in real time, kinda like a video call and prepare creative writing scripts for different scenarios that will be provided also in real time. The session was supervised by the recruiters and would last for 4 hours. I was fully locked in and confident in all that i had already learnt from training, However, the time for the test came and i was given a resource to download that i would use in writing these scripts. After downloading, setting it up on my laptop and then hopping on the live video call with the supervisors, i could not for the life of me get it to run efficiently, it was extremely slow and kept giving me a connection error feedback, I use MTN 4G and can't believe that the network chose that moment to start acting up. I still don't know if the real culprit is my laptop (2017 hp elitebook) or MTN network but after i switched to 3g and tried to hop back on the call to apologize to the supervisors for having a network glitch, i realized they had already blocked me, so i wasn't even given a chance to showcase my skills and this is what pains me most.

This is the reason that was given: "poor internet on a remote job, i'm sorry but it cannot work".

I'm so devastated, all the effort, time and resources invested into becoming a perfect fit for the job has been washed away in a blink. Now, i'm back home in my mom's house, in shame and defeat, with less than #1k to my name having used all my savings to get the laptop and for data subscriptions. I'm just lost on what to do right now, i have been admitted but i can't even go for the masters i applied for anymore and i was thinking to myself that even though i had gotten the job, how would i have kept up with the 8 hours per shift work schedule when there is very epileptic power supply where i live.

Is success still possible in Nigeria for those that are still struggling? or are we all doomed to fail again and again, especially for those of us looking to succeed online. I'm 26 atm and i don't know how long this will continue, it's just like all the forces of nature are working against me being rich and successful. Where can i find the motivation to search for something else to do in order to be productive when everything always ends in failure? is there even anything else to do?

Sorry for the long post, just thought i should share my experience and this is like the only platform that i can vent due to not really having anyone to talk to irl.

You are 26,ọga. You are still a small boy. Imagine resigning to fate at such a young age.

Why not apply for jobs.

Start with bank jobs. You write pretty well. So you likely have above average IQ.

You are still within the age range for bank jobs. Many banks announce graduate trainee jobs almost every other day. Get serious and start applying. Before the end of the year, you may just get something meaningful.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mcslize: 1:48pm On May 06
Talismann:
sorry. That's why I bought starlink and got a powerful solar inverter.

I have no 4cking downtime now again. Network and electricity.

Nothing stops me again

Tell me about your solar. How many Kva?

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Tallesty1(m): 1:58pm On May 06
pocohantas:

Women sabi hide update, but I created a thread documenting my journey, still shared my Upwork note on this same Nairaland. What have you a man done, aside opening a[b] redpill pharmacy[/b] on Nairaland?

grin grin grin grin
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by bassdow: 2:01pm On May 06
dauntless15:
Having prior experience isn't same as jumping into conclusions and you don't have to be busy to observe things, if you're too busy you won't be picking random comments on nairaland to reply to either, the irony of that is in the whole unnecessary story you just told.
oKAy
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Love800(m): 2:08pm On May 06
Am a writer but i dont base on tech.
Hermanie:
OP sorry for your experience. I believe you have learned skills you can use for other remote jobs. Don't give up please. On the other hand I am starting a tech blog in about a month's time. If you're interested in working with me as a writer, please send a dm. The salary won't be much. Above 100k + data allowance because we're just starting.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by headboyprince(m): 2:16pm On May 06
Abbeyme:
Oh my. Sorry for your experience, poster..

That 'would be' employer might just be a sadist and just have no interest in giving you a offer, everyone with a single internet connection source would always be faced with that challenge, whichever part of the world you are.

You might have been profiled.

The network downtime is not your fault and it's not the end of the world.

Note that your have greatly improved your self, skills and confidence. Do not be dismayed.

Go on and apply for more positions and hope for the best.
stop that shit, it doesnt happen everywhere in the world except in countries like nigeria. the network is too poor in this country for video conferencing and that might be a strong requirement of the job. he's should have known before hand. iv
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by davien(m): 2:19pm On May 06
BucketMan:
I don't know if some of you might remember this thread i made https://www.nairaland.com/8006821/should-go-masters-degree-remai where i contemplated going for a masters degree instead of remaining jobless at home. Well after assimilating all the advice i got from that thread, i decided to kill two birds with one stone and apply for the masters degree while also getting a laptop to start an online business in writing and copywriting which is where my passion lies.

Shortly after i got the laptop i found a creative writing opportunity via reddit and applied. One of the requirements for the job was to have a really fast typing speed (minimum of 60 words per minute). I just got my laptop so my typing speed was really slow but i resolved to increase it by practicing daily for a month and i grew from 35wpm to 62wpm which the job required.

That was just the beginning, the recruitment process for the job was done through a platform called Discord and they had a specific writing style that they wanted to inculcate in the applicants via daily trainings after which you will have to pass some exams. I started actively training for about a month and felt i was confident enough to take the intro exam, which i did and performed excellently so i moved on to the last stage.

Now this is where things got kind of complicated because this last stage required me to share my laptop screen in real time, kinda like a video call and prepare creative writing scripts for different scenarios that will be provided also in real time. The session was supervised by the recruiters and would last for 4 hours. I was fully locked in and confident in all that i had already learnt from training, However, the time for the test came and i was given a resource to download that i would use in writing these scripts. After downloading, setting it up on my laptop and then hopping on the live video call with the supervisors, i could not for the life of me get it to run efficiently, it was extremely slow and kept giving me a connection error feedback, I use MTN 4G and can't believe that the network chose that moment to start acting up. I still don't know if the real culprit is my laptop (2017 hp elitebook) or MTN network but after i switched to 3g and tried to hop back on the call to apologize to the supervisors for having a network glitch, i realized they had already blocked me, so i wasn't even given a chance to showcase my skills and this is what pains me most.

This is the reason that was given: "poor internet on a remote job, i'm sorry but it cannot work".

I'm so devastated, all the effort, time and resources invested into becoming a perfect fit for the job has been washed away in a blink. Now, i'm back home in my mom's house, in shame and defeat, with less than #1k to my name having used all my savings to get the laptop and for data subscriptions. I'm just lost on what to do right now, i have been admitted but i can't even go for the masters i applied for anymore and i was thinking to myself that even though i had gotten the job, how would i have kept up with the 8 hours per shift work schedule when there is very epileptic power supply where i live.

Is success still possible in Nigeria for those that are still struggling? or are we all doomed to fail again and again, especially for those of us looking to succeed online. I'm 26 atm and i don't know how long this will continue, it's just like all the forces of nature are working against me being rich and successful. Where can i find the motivation to search for something else to do in order to be productive when everything always ends in failure? is there even anything else to do?

Sorry for the long post, just thought i should share my experience and this is like the only platform that i can vent due to not really having anyone to talk to irl.
Flash your BIOS or cleanse your OS, something tells me you might've installed a trojan on your laptop.

It's getting popular to hack phones, laptops etc through recruitment platforms where it'll be used to mine Bitcoin.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Amhappy(f): 2:22pm On May 06
Sending you hugs. Some of these epic disappointment can really discourage someone but keep believing and keep moving
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Zyzman: 2:57pm On May 06
I understand your frustration
Job hunting is a very terrible journey
Since you are 26, you can apply for Banks graduate trainee programs
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Abbeyme: 3:22pm On May 06
headboyprince:
stop that shit, it doesnt happen everywhere in the world except in countries like nigeria. the network is too poor in this country for video conferencing and that might be a strong requirement of the job. he's should have known before hand. iv

Lol. Dey play
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by pseudaria: 3:23pm On May 06
Hermanie:
Edit: everyone who replied or sent a dm will be gotten back to before the end of the month. Unfortunately only one person can get the role so please don't take it personal if you're not the one.

Very much interested
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by We4all: 4:05pm On May 06
Mcslize:

That's near success syndrome. Result of too much negative energy in one's life and bad luck.

Ever wondered why some persons find it so hard to achieve something once and have to try multiple times and always struggle over and over and over again before getting it, while others are just excelling in whatever they put their hands on? It's not that they are not brilliant or smart. It's just that there are too much bad luck in their lives. I am a believer of God almighty, nature and spirituality.

Since, I understood that the spiritual controls the physical, my life has changed greatly. Before now, I have always been blinded and naive about how life works, and I suffered for that.

I experienced so many setbacks, bad times and difficult challenges in the past when I knew nothing about balancing my spiritual life with my physical life and handwork. This made me wasted so much time wallowing in ignorance.

But I saw the light later on and discovered that, in life, you can't sideline your spiritual life and only focus on working hard with just your mere strength.

For example, if I should go to an interview now, I will always be selected and over shine others. All these things are things God has blessed us with. But most of us always depend alone on our physical hardwork and neglect backing it up with prayers and making use of things of nature to bless ourselves.

I really wish op will do what I told him, he will get another job in no time. I've told him what to do.

Biko, someone is owing me and has refused to pay. The money will go a long way. Something tells me spiritual forces are against the delay. What do you suggest?
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by ThothHermes: 4:24pm On May 06
Talismann:
sorry. That's why I bought starlink and got a powerful solar inverter.

I have no 4cking downtime now again. Network and electricity.

Nothing stops me again
With Starlink you also need a UPS as it takes time for it to reestablish Internet connectivity when there's power outage. However, in terms of speed and reliability, Starlink is by far better than every network provider in this country.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mcslize: 4:28pm On May 06
We4all:

Biko, someone is owing me and has refused to pay. The money will go a long way. Something tells me spiritual forces are against the delay. What do you suggest?

I will get back to you. But before that, give a brief explanation of what happened. What did you do for the person that is making the person to own you money? Do note that God and nature are not partial.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Godaboveall2: 4:45pm On May 06
[quote author=bassdow post=129809109]
wouldn't be surprised you probably bought a brand new Router Modem, rather than a [USED] pocket mifi or modem.
in fact, you could even use your Mobile smart phone as a Modem. That's if you happen to use a quality phone e.g LG, Sony Xperia, Motorola, etc; [s]I no mention Tecno, inFinix, Gionne, etc Ooo[/s]

Thank u bros. Kindly help with other quality smart phones, that can be used as a modem. I need this information.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Talismann: 4:52pm On May 06
Mcslize:

Tell me about your solar. How many Kva?

10kva transformer hybrid inverter
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mcslize: 4:56pm On May 06
Talismann:

10kva transformer hybrid inverter

Omo! This is massive. This is definitely for a full house o 🏠. How much does it cost you?
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by headboyprince(m): 4:59pm On May 06
Abbeyme:

Lol. Dey play
mumu who thinks everything is a joke
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by headboyprince(m): 5:01pm On May 06
Abbeyme:

Lol. Dey play

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Trizyd(m): 5:13pm On May 06
Scan your laptop for malware.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by theredaddy: 5:43pm On May 06
pocohantas:

Hello!

I don't talk to Nairalanders offline, Sir.

Na weytin i know like to dey hear be these, cominf from someone a man sired her interest in remote work, all the lessons and guide came from who ?

On these same NL thread, how many bitches have a page on investment thread even the kitchen thread brotherwood ti take over ... olodo undecided
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Talismann: 6:26pm On May 06
Mcslize:

Omo! This is massive. This is definitely for a full house o 🏠. How much does it cost you?

set me back about 4.6 million last year. It's almost 6 million for that same setup currently

It carries every darn thing but I don't use it for submersible pump and iron. I can power those two with my 9kva generator if there's no power.

I'm glad I did it then
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mcslize: 6:55pm On May 06
Talismann:

set me back about 4.6 million last year. It's almost 6 million for that same setup currently

It carries every darn thing but I don't use it for submersible pump and iron. I can power those two with my 9kva generator if there's no power.

I'm glad I did it then

It's definitely worth it! Steady light. Good decision on the bolded.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by We4all: 7:29pm On May 06
Mcslize:

I will get back to you. But before that, give a brief explanation of what happened. What did you do for the person that is making the person to own you money? Do note that God and nature are not partial.

Exchange eish. He has my PP funds. Was supposed to send me the equivalent in another currency. Keeps coming up with excuse. I guess 'scam' is a more appropriate word.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lagos State Primary Health Care Board Latest Job Recruitment (13 Positions) / What A Fellow Job Seeker Did To Me This Afternoon / Pwc/shl TESTS-4 Techniques Used By Top Scorers On Aptitude Tests (PREP MATERIAL)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.