Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,824 members, 7,872,766 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:25 PM

My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job (22346 Views)

How To Find A Well Paying Remote Jobs Globally / How To Get A High Paying Job In 4 Months In Nigeria / More Nigerians Applying For FRSC 2018 Recruitment Than Previous Years (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by sfinkzslot(m): 12:09am On May 07
BucketMan:
Iu sound like u have given up, why? U keep trying till u mail it,

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by ibawon(m): 12:58am On May 07
If you stop. Then you loose. Keep on keeping on. You will surely win. That's my advice. Return by Monday and start again.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by MAFP: 2:40am On May 07
I think maybe we could speak. I've sent a message request through your profile.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by GloriousGbola: 4:40am On May 07
BucketMan:
I don't know if some of you might remember this thread i made https://www.nairaland.com/8006821/should-go-masters-degree-remai where i contemplated going for a masters degree instead of remaining jobless at home. Well after assimilating all the advice i got from that thread, i decided to kill two birds with one stone and apply for the masters degree while also getting a laptop to start an online business in writing and copywriting which is where my passion lies.

Shortly after i got the laptop i found a creative writing opportunity via reddit and applied. One of the requirements for the job was to have a really fast typing speed (minimum of 60 words per minute). I just got my laptop so my typing speed was really slow but i resolved to increase it by practicing daily for a month and i grew from 35wpm to 62wpm which the job required.

That was just the beginning, the recruitment process for the job was done through a platform called Discord and they had a specific writing style that they wanted to inculcate in the applicants via daily trainings after which you will have to pass some exams. I started actively training for about a month and felt i was confident enough to take the intro exam, which i did and performed excellently so i moved on to the last stage.

Now this is where things got kind of complicated because this last stage required me to share my laptop screen in real time, kinda like a video call and prepare creative writing scripts for different scenarios that will be provided also in real time. The session was supervised by the recruiters and would last for 4 hours. I was fully locked in and confident in all that i had already learnt from training, However, the time for the test came and i was given a resource to download that i would use in writing these scripts. After downloading, setting it up on my laptop and then hopping on the live video call with the supervisors, i could not for the life of me get it to run efficiently, it was extremely slow and kept giving me a connection error feedback, I use MTN 4G and can't believe that the network chose that moment to start acting up. I still don't know if the real culprit is my laptop (2017 hp elitebook) or MTN network but after i switched to 3g and tried to hop back on the call to apologize to the supervisors for having a network glitch, i realized they had already blocked me, so i wasn't even given a chance to showcase my skills and this is what pains me most.

This is the reason that was given: "poor internet on a remote job, i'm sorry but it cannot work".

I'm so devastated, all the effort, time and resources invested into becoming a perfect fit for the job has been washed away in a blink. Now, i'm back home in my mom's house, in shame and defeat, with less than #1k to my name having used all my savings to get the laptop and for data subscriptions. I'm just lost on what to do right now, i have been admitted but i can't even go for the masters i applied for anymore and i was thinking to myself that even though i had gotten the job, how would i have kept up with the 8 hours per shift work schedule when there is very epileptic power supply where i live.

Is success still possible in Nigeria for those that are still struggling? or are we all doomed to fail again and again, especially for those of us looking to succeed online. I'm 26 atm and i don't know how long this will continue, it's just like all the forces of nature are working against me being rich and successful. Where can i find the motivation to search for something else to do in order to be productive when everything always ends in failure? is there even anything else to do?

Sorry for the long post, just thought i should share my experience and this is like the only platform that i can vent due to not really having anyone to talk to irl.

Now is time for post mortem

There is a word people use abroad - support

When an app is not working properly, write the company you bought it from. If you are in an office, call IT. In third world countries you have to be your own support. Go to reddit and describe the problem you had with the app. Hopefully someone will answer you and tell you what the issue was. It is important you are able to figure out the issue and other potential issues. It could be something as simple as your firewall blocking the app you downloaded. It could be that your laptop had 4gb of ram and started lagging. It could be the antivirus you installed. You are going to have to figure out the issue.

If you still have the app, try to run it again. I doubt the problem is mtn as mtn is actually very reliable most of the time.

Before you go on any remote connection make sure you have at least 10gb of data and a means of monitoring it. It could be something as simple as they gave you a web installer which started downloading a file that was more than your data plan.

Tldr if you are doing remote work, you are advised to be strongly, proactively computer literate and able to troubleshoot your system yourself

also buy a phone with dual sim, so you can switch between providers
you want to buy a modem, then it is better you buy swift/spectranet/smile since they usually dont sell sim card only

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by BucketMan: 6:36am On May 07
MAFP:
I think maybe we could speak. I've sent a message request through your profile.
I'm available, I replied your message.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by bablon20(m): 8:18am On May 07
Every remote job in Nigeria is doomed, I'm an interpretor/translator. After struggling for so long to land a job, I finally got one from Indian. The lady gave me 24 hours to get it done but I finished with 2 hour. Fast forward. When it's time for me to get paid, I was being tossed from one staff of the company to another. At the end of d say I wasn't paid all because Nigeria system didn't support their means of payment - PayPal

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by wickyyolo: 1:24pm On May 07
Entanglement:
are you this foolish and wicked with self-centred and greedy added to your name undecided

Person is complaining and you are hear asking for site! You this foolish greedy black Human angry

may be it was a luciferian site . shouldnt we investigate before we pass our opinion ?
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by wickyyolo: 1:25pm On May 07
Alamkir:

Nawao, is it that u didn't read it or what. Haba

i am investigating before i pass my opinion on the case.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Angelfrost(m): 4:11pm On May 07
MoreTech:
@Angelfrost, pls how can i connect with you, i need a tutor on remote jobs, pls assist a brother.

Thanks, my email is lawalmusibau@ymail.com.

Brother, I'm sorry for the late reply. Just seeing this.

Honestly, I doubt there's any help I can give you personally in the area of tutoring that you can't get better here on Nairaland and social media.

Besides, I don't share my personal info here for security reasons.

That said... You can reach out to amazing Freelance tutors on Facebook... Search and connect with a popular group called Digital Witch on FB.

They organise training and guidance every month for a fee.

In addition, try and ensure you constantly apply yourself to learning more about your core niche (you must have a niche).

Feel free to ask me any questions here.

I hope this helps. Bless you.

Cc: sweden

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by GloriousGbola: 8:09pm On May 07
tensazangetsu20:
Keep on applying to more jobs and learn from your mistakes. Next time get 2 to 3 modems.

I think a dual sim phone is a better bet.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by MoreTech(m): 9:56pm On May 07
Thanks very much, i appreciate

Angelfrost:

Brother, I'm sorry for the late reply. Just seeing this.

Honestly, I doubt there's any help I can give you personally in the area of tutoring that you can't get better here on Nairaland and social media.

Besides, I don't share my personal info here for security reasons.

That said... You can reach out to amazing Freelance tutors on Facebook... Search and connect with a popular group called Digital Witch on FB.

They organise training and guidance every month for a fee.

In addition, try and ensure you constantly apply yourself to learning more about your core niche (you must have a niche).

Feel free to ask me any questions here.

I hope this helps. Bless you.

Cc: sweden
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by cho25bc(f): 1:38am On May 08
yusuf0876:
I've BN applying on upwork, nothing came out till this present moment

Join whatsapp groups for writers. You'll likely get gigs there
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by yusuf0876(m): 4:28am On May 08
cho25bc:

Join whatsapp groups for writers. You'll likely get gigs there
pls can you add me to some??.thanks very much

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Meerahbel: 8:57am On May 08
cry
bablon20:
Every remote job in Nigeria is doomed, I'm an interpretor/translator. After struggling for so long to land a job, I finally got one from Indian. The lady gave me 24 hours to get it done but I finished with 2 hour. Fast forward. When it's time for me to get paid, I was being tossed from one staff of the company to another. At the end of d say I wasn't paid all because Nigeria system didn't support their means of payment - PayPal
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Meerahbel: 8:59am On May 08
yusuf0876:
Call Ayomide +234 703 684 9596
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Xinjin: 8:06am On May 09
I have been there b4. You see that discord app requires a high performance laptop and good network speed to share your screen. I have found Airtel to be more reliable. Next time try installing the app on a good laptop 8gb above, close other apps while having your meeting, Don't charge your laptop while having meeting and lastly use a reliable network in your area.

Network providers in Nigeria are terrible and nobody is saying anything.

Sorry for your loss, It happens to most of us too but we didn't give up.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by cho25bc(f): 2:42pm On May 13
yusuf0876:

Post your Whatsapp number
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by yusuf0876(m): 2:50pm On May 13
cho25bc:

Post your Whatsapp number
0 8 1 3 4 5 8 0 8 4 6

1 Like

Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mcslize: 11:03am On May 14
We4all:

Exchange eish. He has my PP funds. Was supposed to send me the equivalent in another currency. Keeps coming up with excuse. I guess 'scam' is a more appropriate word.

You will get your money back as far as you know the person full name. He will come and pay u by himself. But first, let's get something clear. I hope this is not a deal gone wrong kind of something. I hope the money truly belongs to you and that you rendered the person a service and he refused to pay you and not a deal gone wrong kind of something.

It's just a simple prayer the person will return your money by himself. But it must not be a deal gone wrong kind of something. That's why I want to be very sure of what transpired.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by We4all: 4:09pm On May 14
Mcslize:

You will get your money back as far as you know the person full name. He will come and pay u by himself. But first, let's get something clear. I hope this is not a deal gone wrong kind of something. I hope the money truly belongs to you and that you rendered the person a service and he refused to pay you and not a deal gone wrong kind of something.

It's just a simple prayer the person will return your money by himself. But it must not be a deal gone wrong kind of something. That's why I want to be very sure of what transpired.

Not a deal gone wrong.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Mcslize: 4:18pm On May 14
We4all:

Not a deal gone wrong.

Ok. Try and get the person full name and post to me here. Once I get it, I will ask u to edit and remove the post.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by We4all: 5:30pm On May 14
Mcslize:

Ok. Try and get the person full name and post to me here. Once I get it, I will ask u to edit and remove the post.

I will quote one of your post. Let me know when you get the name.
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Zaynkad: 12:49am On May 15
JimD:
Send me a DM bro

Hi sir . Can i also send a d.m

I am in need of remote jobs
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by Zaynkad: 12:51am On May 15
Mavor:
I have worked several remote jobs for companies based in Austria, UK, US and even stupid India and at the end of the day, if your capabilities meets their requirement and you communicate well, no problem. I now work for a very very top tech company (not remote) earning a lot per month. No CEO will ever admit that a hiring decision was made based on racism or any other discrimination. In 2024. From a Western country. It is only in Zoogeria where people do things based on tribe, family, religion that such nonsense can fly. Make una rest abeg

Hi. Please i need your assistance in any form

Currently looking for virtual assistant jobs but no luck yet

Though i have s mini business but i have been having low sales

If you can help with remote job or any other assistance i will appreciate
Re: My Terrible Experience Applying For A High Paying Remote Job by MAFP: 9:47am On Jun 16
BucketMan:
I'm available, I replied your message.

Hi sorry, I didn't see this. If the system messaged me I didn't get it. I afraid what I had in mind is no longer available, but I'd still like to speak with you. Could you please email me at hiring [at] makeafacepublishing.com ? I might have some piece work if you're interested. In a journalistic vein.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Zenith Bank Graduate Trainee Recruitment 2016 / I Need Mortuary Job / Don't Give Up: After Several Rejections, I Got A Good Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.