Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,369 members, 7,900,986 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 08:44 PM

My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! (22004 Views)

Man Comes Back To Claim Babymama After Social Media Contributed Money For Her / Should I Force Them To Sell The Property / Husband Got Angry Because Wife Refused To Put His Name In The Property She Got. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by JB0707(f): 4:11pm On May 09
Idaytesj29:

The marriage alone validates her as a 50% shareholder on all properties in her Husband's name, whether she contributed or not. Why the sudden need to make it black and white, is someone preparing for divorce?

This abroad sef......always bringing the real you in our women.
In Nigeria where she may not be able to add any penny to family properties, will she still feel unsafe and ask that her name be there cos the man's chaotic families will still be alive and well though.
Idaytesj29:

The marriage alone validates her as a 50% shareholder on all properties in her Husband's name, whether she contributed or not. Why the sudden need to make it black and white, is someone preparing for divorce?

In Nigeria where she may not be able to add any penny to family properties, will she still feel unsafe and ask that her name be there cos the man's chaotic families will still be alive and well though.

Abroad is not bringing out the real me, i am hardworking and supportive when i was in Nigeria too, i am only asking because that is my sweat too. Am i wrong for working and having nothing to show for it? That’s my sweat too and PS i love my husband. And I don’t think i am asking for too much

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by bjnice(m): 4:12pm On May 09
JB0707:
My husband and I both live in the uk and we join all our money and investments together, all the properties my husband acquired in Nigeria doesn’t have my name on it, at first I wasn’t bothered but now i am bothered because his family is chaotic. I started asking for my name to be included and i am not ok with the response am getting. I feel i am just working and I have nothing in my name. I love him but I don’t trust his family. Should i keep insisting or start my investment separately. I am just confused angry

To avoid conflict in your house. Have a separate investment. Even I that paid for a property, I included my wife name in the document. How much yours that you are a co-contributor.

2 Likes

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by cococandy(f): 4:15pm On May 09
Thanks for being open minded at least

Hopefully they won’t label you a SIMP for it
Tallesty1:
Why are you people intentionally ignoring the man's chaotic family? What if he dies and they accuse her of killing him? Strip her of all his wealth and send her packing or are we going to pretend it doesn't happen? How about they divorce, he will now walk away with her investments? I thought we all stan Hakimi because we are good people, didn't know it was because he is a male.

30 minutes of me seeing things from the woman's angle and I feel totally drained. Nawa ooo

3 Likes

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by safariman(m): 4:18pm On May 09
cococandy:
Actually if she starts now she can get what’s rightfully hers whether she goes gun blazing or not.

The man might think the houses in Nigeria are protected from UK government fingers but if they are anything like the USA, his bank statements can be subpoenaed and all the money he squirreled away to build those projects in Nigeria can be re-estimated and he’ll owe her half of it if he wants to keep the properties to himself. That way she get her share and he can go live in Nigerian mansions by himself since that’s what he wants 🤨

Since the properties and bank accounts used in building the property are in Nigeria, subpoenas can only be served or effective with a bank that has a representative in UK/US and not on a Nigerian bank. Your suggestion will be the wife going to court in case of divorce for asset disclosures.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by NoToPile: 4:20pm On May 09
The responses on this thread is why lots of Nigerian women will NEVER build with a man. If heaven fall them go just dey look you.

Women are smarter these days anyway.

OP it's nothing but a pure scam, if both of you contributed your name should be there because you are a co-investor married or not that's the proper way it should be.

My advice moving forward do your investments seperately, no need for fight, no trouble no wahala, don't even ask him about it. The way the men are rigmarolling round the truth on this thread is the way he will be defended when shit happens and you will have no choice.

It's a Man's world, protect yourself as a woman if you are not married to a protector.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by cococandy(f): 4:26pm On May 09
safariman:

Since the properties and bank accounts used in building the property are in Nigeria, subpoenas can only be served or effective with a bank that has a representative in UK/US and not on a Nigerian bank. Your suggestion will be the wife going to court in case of divorce for asset disclosures.

But he didn’t earn it in naira. That money was probably in a hidden account there in uk before he transferred it into a Nigerian bank account for the project.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by JB0707(f): 4:26pm On May 09
Idaytesj29:

Idaytesj29:

Abroad is not bringing out the real me, i am hardworking and supportive when i was in Nigeria too, i am only asking because that is my sweat too. Am i wrong for working and having nothing to show for it? That’s my sweat too and PS i love my husband. And I don’t think i am asking for too much
teemy:

JB0707, do you own any property? Let me help you, the answer is NO!

No buts as the documents show otherwise. You can't make claims for refund or ownership if you've got no receipt. Hubby knows this and yet decides to do as he wishes. Even if he had used a third party like his brother to make purchases, adjusting should not be an issue setting the records straight.

You could either continue investing together and he corrects the mistake or he simply buys you out. I have an assumption from your writing that he probably owns the lion's share of the investments. However, if he still delays, you could have a lawyer draft out the listed holdings and state each person's percentage on each. Get this signed and witnessed as well as notarized. This should be a fast process while you still press on the renaming.

If he would not do a simple step as affirming with his signature that you own part of the investments or tries to guilt trip you, simply know that a bigger scheme is in play there. Everyone dies in the end. However, receipts are means for the living in laying claim to anything. It might not be a family you would contend with. Even the Government and Omo Onile are potential contenders.

However, this whole thing is sticky and tricky. While you might be termed wanting to put a strain on your marriage, hubby too risked that. He should be protecting both you and the kids by putting things right. So, don't feel guilt-tripped while claiming what is yours. I pray for you the wisdom to make this happen. Going forward, all investments should be checked and cross-checked by you in the future.

Wishing you well - Teemy

P.S I'm hearing a rumour about late actor Junior Pope, wife, family and properties. Not sure of the authenticity but wisdom is profitable to direct. Better play safe than settle issues later on

Best response so far. Thank you.
The investment is 50:50. I tried asking and i was guilt tripped and no genuine reason was given that when I became worried because it my hard earned money too, i don’t want to be that kind of wife that nag’s husband. I know he loves me, i am just confused .
But thank you really

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Barteze: 4:30pm On May 09
Kobojunkie:
Stop telling these lies! undecided
I will like to know your own thoughts or truth
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Biodun556(m): 4:32pm On May 09
Kooldon:
If you guys are legally married, then you have nothing to worry about.
However, it seems your are more concern about your husband demise before you but what if the reverse will be the case?

Being legally married doesn't solve any problem. She should have her name on the documents. As a man with conscience who love his wife dearly. He should not be told before including his wife name on the property they jointly built

4 Likes

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Barteze: 4:37pm On May 09
cococandy:

Actually that’s not true. Only the things he got while married belong to him and his wife. Pre marital property is for him alone or any kids he might have in the future
Hmm! I hear you. All this my own! My own is actually one of the causes of troubled marriages. Husband hiding things from his wife and wife acquiring properties or building in her father's compound without her husband knowing. Husband and wife ought to unit in marriage as one.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Anashe: 4:38pm On May 09
okomile:
Get your name in the properties or u have your own separately with your name.

Am also suffering same faith and branded a bad wife when I wanted to sell off a property. It was then I discovered that my name was not in d documents only Mr (his full name) & Mrs (surname)

Anybody can be Mrs.

I hope the young ladies read and learn

We shall overcome

My point exactly. As long as you contributed to something, your name should appear on the documents. Whether you were legally married or not. Can't believe some of the comments I'm reading here. I can't count how many of my older tribes women that are today without properties and are living in rented apartments because of this same thing. Either he abandoned them or husband died and they took everything because his name was the only name on his properties despite the fact that they bought or built them together. Another foolish excuse given is that they have no male child. Gross darkness. Stand your ground!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Anashe: 4:41pm On May 09
Some of the men on this thread are like this. I hope he doesn't poison her. At 53 years old you're still an entitled thief to another person's sweat. All those properties were hers and her kids before she married again but instead of acquiring more properties together that also includes his children from another marriage, he's having sleepless nights lol

1 Like

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by shaybebaby(f): 4:41pm On May 09
Klass99:

Oh I agree o, but before walking away I will cause some major damage. I don't know what these men take us for?

If you don't want my name on properties as a co-owner and contributor, then don't take my money for said properties.

Do they have any sense of justice, fair play and good faith at all? They still come out enmasse to support evil perpetuated by their fellow men.
Lool. So you and Coco are stubborn like this?

As if thieves will tell you you are their next victim.

These lot won't see anything wrong with it, as long they are the oppressor. That's why equality feels like oppression to them, because they know the balance of power is tipped unfairly in their favour and they are benefitting from it.

9 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by drnoel: 4:49pm On May 09
JB0707:
My husband and I both live in the uk and we join all our money and investments together, all the properties my husband acquired in Nigeria doesn’t have my name on it, at first I wasn’t bothered but now i am bothered because his family is chaotic. I started asking for my name to be included and i am not ok with the response am getting. I feel i am just working and I have nothing in my name. I love him but I don’t trust his family. Should i keep insisting or start my investment separately. I am just confused angry

You should know the man you married.
Is he a reasonable man? Can you speak with him, will he understand?
If Al these are true, then speak with him.
Make him see your reason cos you can't be working and financing things that you wouldn't get returns from. Yes, it's for you both bit if your money was also involved, then speak with him and have it changed..
If on the other hand, Oga refuses to bulge. Then let him explain his reasons to you. I doubt there will be any sane reason that would explain why your name was omitted (let's say it wasn't a mistake). But there would definitely not be a sane reason to explain why it can't be changed or why your name can't be added. If there are not changes, then you need to start making your own investments outside those you have done with your husband.
Bear it mind that you need to thread carefully or your union might not survive.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by cococandy(f): 4:51pm On May 09
Barteze:

Husband and wife ought to unit in marriage as one.

That’s my belief too. I don’t know if you’re familiar with my posts on this forum but I’m a strong advocate for joint ownership.

It’s the way that men have shown they are more than comfortable leaving their women vulnerable to the grifters and outside world that’s hurts my heart.

How can you be comfortable leaving the person you claim to love exposed to hostile circumstances when you can easily do the right thing from the start

4 Likes

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by NothingDoMe: 5:03pm On May 09
cococandy:

But you have nothing to say about a man who’s intentionally excluding his wife from jointly owned family property. All you people love is to cheat and oppress your women. Anyone who gives them advice on how to avoid being mistreated like this becomes the enemy undecided
Lol @ cheat and oppress.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Biglittlelois(f): 5:16pm On May 09
Believe me, the reason why this thread has not reached 20 pages is because the percentage of people supporting the Op is far greater than those supporting the husband, and most males hate it when they are aggressively overwhelmed with the truth so they prefer to run away from threads like this.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by cococandy(f): 5:17pm On May 09
Biglittlelois:
Believe me, the reason why this thread has not reached 20 pages is because the percentage of people supporting the Op is far greater than those supporting the husband.
you know it!

Flip it any other way and they would have come together here to call women everything but children of God

6 Likes

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Barteze: 5:19pm On May 09
[quote author=cococandy post=129869789]

That’s my belief too. I don’t know if you’re familiar with my posts on this forum but I’m a strong advocate for joint ownership.

It’s the way that men have shown they are more than comfortable leaving their women vulnerable to the grifters and outside world that’s hurts my heart.

How can you be comfortable leaving the person you claim to love exposed to hostile circumstances when you can easily do the right thing from the start
[/qu
A real man wouldn't do that.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Biglittlelois(f): 5:24pm On May 09
cococandy:
you know it!

Flip it any other way and they would have come together here to call women everything but children of God

Very true, I even added more to my comment, and later these sets will keep asking ridiculous questions why female comments are very few here, who in her right mind will have the desire to school these ones on basic truth everytime? I skip nairaland for weeks because of this, my mental health is top priority pls.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by frozen70(f): 5:33pm On May 09
JB0707:

Tell him to rewrite it and add your name because you contributed to the project and if he refuses, tell him to change everything to the children names

If he refuses, then let him sell it and if he refuses, that's the more reason why you should start your own investment and don't ever contribute in any project he wants to do.

If he notice that you have changed and begged you. The only condition for you to cooperate is for him to change it to your children names
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by aktolly54(m): 5:34pm On May 09
JB0707:
maybe he's scared you chase him out of the property in UK(as law permit it) while he will use Nigeria property for his own. Let him understand you are NOT woman like that who will take advantage of UK to punish him and let him put your name or children name on Nigeria property abi you never had children ni? Children name is the best
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Klass99(f): 5:55pm On May 09

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by DonnyE(m): 6:03pm On May 09
JB0707:
Please discuss this with your husband first before you make a silly mistake. Don't listen to single people here, please.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Adekot: 6:05pm On May 09
Kooldon:
If you guys are legally married, then you have nothing to worry about.
However, it seems your are more concern about your husband demise before you but what if the reverse will be the case?

Lol😂😂😩

1 Like

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by folla: 6:41pm On May 09
She needs to be gentle with her request and apply wisdom, so she doesn't destroy all she has built so far in the marriage. It's not every woman that wants their marriage to collapse.

Sometimes, you may win the war and lose the battle. Application of wisdom is important.

Cheers.

shaybebaby:

It's the "gently" that landed her in this predicament.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by shaybebaby(f): 7:04pm On May 09
Klass99:

grin. My dear it is not stubbornness. I just like to be treated with the same courtesy I extend to others.

If I am not looking to cheat, defraud or take advantage of you, don't try that with me or actually do it to me. You go collect!
😂😂😂
The problem with people like that is they are usually bottom feeders looking for someone to drag down with them.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by shaybebaby(f): 7:07pm On May 09
folla:
She needs to be gentle with her request and apply wisdom, so she doesn't destroy all she has built so far in the marriage. It's not every woman that wants their marriage to collapse.

Sometimes, you may win the war and lose the battle. Application of wisdom is important.

Cheers.

We'll have to agree to disagree. For me, seems like she'd be better off on her own since she would be rid of a person who wants to chop hers plus his alone.

That way she can atleast see what she invests in.
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by descarado: 7:10pm On May 09
cococandy:

Marriage is sweet if you marry the right partner. Very sweet. There will be hurdles, challenges that will taste your commitment to one another( I am not talking about sexual love here at all) but it will bring u both closer and make you stronger.

The bad news about marriage gets more attention , you know.

At topic, we all are given sixth sense. Her sixth sense had already shown her all is not well but she didn't harken to it. She can still make it right.

1 Like

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by MasterTeeUSA: 7:21pm On May 09
I am a guy...and I agree that while couples should have some sort of separate investments. There is wisdom in joint ownership, but even if your name is on the paper...if the family feels you had a hand in his demise, it would still be hard to claim such property in Nigeria. So couples can contribute 25% each on joint investment, 25% separate investment, 20% savings and 30% joint bill payments. If you don't have any joint investments at all, both parties wont know about the other's investments at all...which is just as bad and will be inherited by other family members.

JB0707:
Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Kobojunkie: 7:29pm On May 09
Barteze:
■ I will like to know your own thoughts or truth
There is no place for love in business. These two agreed to become business partners. For her husband to think it then OK to cheat her out of her right as a business partner means he does not value her as an individual and a business partner. Would he think to try that nonsense if he were in business with his father, sister, or even brother— all of them equally family members? undecided

1 Like

Re: My Name Is Not On The Property We Both Contributed For! by Willie2015: 7:40pm On May 09
JB0707:

No issues wit this....
Pls tell you Oga to do a family trust.

The trustee is responsible for the trust and its assets. The trustee has broad powers to conduct the trust, and manage its assets. In a family trust, the trustees are usually Mum and Dad (or a company of which Mum and Dad are the shareholders and directors).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

8-month Old Baby Stabbed 90 Times With Scissors By His Mother / Pregnancy Or Nursing Of Baby; Which Is More Challenging? / Virgin Daughters & Purity Balls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.