Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,828 members, 7,872,780 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:42 PM

Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely (16744 Views)

Labour Rejects ₦48,000, Walks Out Of Minimum Wage Committee Meeting / Lawmaker Throws Microphone At Keyamo During 774,000 Jobs Rowdy Committee Meeting / Governor El-Rufai Takes Selfie In Isolation, Attends COVID-19 Committee Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Callosobruchus(m): 7:24am On May 29
Make una elephants continue to whine us,we go still survive sha.No matter what.
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Kdon2: 7:25am On May 29
Good01:

https://punchng.com/exclusive-minimum-wage-committee-meeting-postponed-indefinitely/?amp

It's time for Nigeria to burn now. Enough is enough. These leaders are living luxurious life from the resources of the country despite the hardship on the masses.

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by LadyExcellency: 7:27am On May 29
GlorifiedTunde:

The Organised Labour needs to be very tactical about this, otherwise they lose in the long run as usual.

Labour may decide to settle for 120k/150k with conditions attached as follows:

If the cost of fuel is not reduced to at most 300 Naira within the next 6 months, an upward review of the minimum wage must be done!
&
If the exchange rate does not reduce to at most 500 Naira to 1 USD within 6 months, an upward review of the minimum wage must be done!

Any amount agreed on and signed becomes law for five years. There is nothing like an adjustment until the term elapses. The government can only on their magnanimity add something but not by compulsion outside the law.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Basic123: 7:32am On May 29
jefdr001:

You must think each level increase add an equivalent amount of minimum wage. Joker. At 60k min wage a level 8 officer who was earning 62k roughly will still not earn 100k
I know,I am FG worker myself
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Eriokanmi: 7:35am On May 29
Essentialbrand:
They simply don't care about the masses.

Upon all the hardship they are claiming in paying workers, they refused to reduced their exorbitant salaries and bonuses for doing nothing.

As you can see. People are suffering needlessly. If only Nigerians could jettison tribalism and bigotry of sorts, this country will witness meaningful progress. The people they support are only after their picket, they don't care about them.

When I read last night that we don't even have ambassadors, talkless of appointing them, because there's no money to pay them. I was shocked below my belt.

In each country, an ambassador keys into any information that would bring about cooperation economically in their home country, follow up on them till the investment opportunity clicks. They won't come to Nigeria directly and invest most times unless we make that move.

I was invited by the ambassador of one of the European countries recently to a dinner. We were less than 40 invited nationwide. It was a great event. They showed us some leading manufacturers in their country in a power point presentation and how Nigerians could leverage on them. Reps from the federal ministries came as well. It was a gathering of the big and mighty in which I felt so honoured. These are the similar opportunities we can leverage on, through our ambassadors. Nigerian ambassadors too in their various mission posts could sell Nigeria to their hosts in the areas of agriculture, minieral resources,etc.

Sadly by the time they're ready to appoint,it's still same associates of theirs, who are super corrupt people, that would be appointed, those who would be posted to Europe but will always operate from their maitama residents. The masses should just reason with their senses .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Polynek(m): 7:36am On May 29
EMXTAN1:
I'm really hopeful my distiny helper locate me with a civil service job... O don't even have a salary talk more or less minimum wage... But I really hope it works out well and Nigeria gets better so we can all live a better life
This comment touch me, i wish you well
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 7:37am On May 29
The government is not reasonable. 57k won't be enough for your transportation going to work

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by JONSYN7154: 7:37am On May 29
EMXTAN1:
I'm really hopeful my distiny helper locate me with a civil service job... O don't even have a salary talk more or less minimum wage... But I really hope it works out well and Nigeria gets better so we can all live a better life
What's your qualification?
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Callosobruchus(m): 7:39am On May 29
When are they going to implement the bill that's asking us to revert to our colonial national anthem to remind us that we're still slaves to the whites? That's a more pressing issue than this minimum wage something.
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Scandium: 7:42am On May 29
dollar124:
Everybody seems to be supporting this labour demands now hmmm. My question is how many percent of Nigerian work force are employed by government? Who will pay people under private sector and SME their own minimum wage?
Are we ready for the kind of hyperinflation that will make what we are currently facing look like child's play this labour proposed minimum wage will cause if approved?

Exactly my thoughts too. This minimum wage increment all the time, i don't think it is a good idea because only very few percentage of the Nigerian population work with the government. Once the minimum wage is increased, every other private sector and traders in the market will make an upward adjustment of prices to the new minimum wage, and then we are back to square one, even worse.

The currency may continue to become useless and in 50 years time, minimum wage would have been increased to 2 million naira. And that 2 million naira would buy only half bag of rice just like 33k can only buy half bag of rice right now.

The best thing is to try and strengthen the currency back to how it was some years back if they can, and then leave the minimum wage at the current price it is.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Spiritmask: 7:43am On May 29
Minimum wage should be not less than ₦120,000, if we factor in inflection and the value of our currency to Dollar. Won , south Korea currency is almost equivalent to Naira in value, and their minimum wage is above a million naira.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by telleyway: 7:45am On May 29
Barteze:

Increase of 200% of current #30,000 minimum wage is #90,000. Will that be enough?

That's actually not enough, compared to what people are passing through.
Just gave an analysis
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by GlorifiedTunde(m): 7:47am On May 29
LadyExcellency:

Any amount agreed on and signed becomes law for five years. There is nothing like an adjustment until the term elapses. The government can only on their magnanimity add something but not by compulsion outside the law.

There can always be a "conditional" provision that sets existing laws aside ... All that is required is a unanimous legislation.
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by ejimatic: 7:48am On May 29
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by ivandragon: 7:50am On May 29
This is just nonsense and plays into the government's hands.

Do a categorisation of minimum wages.

Then all elected and appointed political officials should earn minimum wage.

The National Assembly members should also earn the minimum wage applicable to thier respective states.

Foe instance, if Abia says its own minimum wage is N30k, then all political office holders from Governor to LG chairman, national and state representatives, political appointees should all earn N30k.

For Edo that is N70k, then they should all earn same.

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by 82man: 7:52am On May 29
Yeye people, they are the one who voted this bullaba government and Baba go slow government
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by telleyway: 7:52am On May 29
Essentialbrand:
They simply don't care about the masses.

Upon all the hardship they are claiming in paying workers, they refused to reduced their exorbitant salaries and bonuses for doing nothing.

This is very sad.
Imagine national assembly members will have more than hundred days in a year they called recess and are gulping millions for siting allowance, recess allowance, hardship allowance when they're not near and hardship and the rest.
But labor, they are work almost everyday with nothing to show for.
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Blessedarethepe(m): 7:58am On May 29
dollar124:
Everybody seems to be supporting this labour demands now hmmm. My question is how many percent of Nigerian work force are employed by government? Who will pay people under private sector and SME their own minimum wage?
Are we ready for the kind of hyperinflation that will make what we are currently facing look like child's play this labour proposed minimum wage will cause if approved?
It's so typical of a Nigerian to hold this belief about increased salary having a direct effect on inflation. But it's funny how the politicians have programmed the minds of people to reason this way, and also the western education.
Since when the wage has been 30k has inflation stopped dealing with the economy?
If they cannot increase the wage, they should return the economy back to the way it was.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by JERRY1925(m): 7:59am On May 29
telleyway:
Fuel goes up from 145-600 , that's over %400.
Dollar from $500-$1500 , %300.
Why can't they pay workers at least %200?

Mehn..its not as easy as we think. We just see 60k as it is...allowance are added.

Also imagin the government paying corpers 200k monthly.
This might cripple the economy.

Union should b a little realistic.
Can the union leader pay his gate man 200k?

If government is forced a lot wil lose their jobs.
That will make things worse.

1 Like

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by 82man: 7:59am On May 29
Make nna calm down yeye people, remaining 3 to 7 years let Baba bullaba do his factory reset on all Nigerias heads 🤣🤣🤣🤣👌
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Eriokanmi: 8:01am On May 29
EMXTAN1:
It's well bro. That's the wish of every average hardworking but jobless Nigerian youth. Sadly, its about man-no-man. They don't even advertise government jobs anymore. You can see the way tinubu-led administration is sacking at the CBN presently. Don't think those sacked wouldn't be replaced with their own children and that of their friends. It's simply a vendetta mission they're on, not because they want to cut cost. They want to remove the hands of some perceived political enemies within the party, who produced those they sacked, including those emefiele brought in. They're simply playing opposition within same ruling party. I've never seen a thing like this nonsense before.

You'd be shocked that in the end, double the number of those sacked will be employed. After all, its a national cake. Chop make I chop levels.

If the government is truly serious about cutting cost, fighting corruption and creating jobs, believe me they know what to do and where to start from but they'd never do that. How can you create more ministeries in a distressed economy like Nigeria? Is that more important than appointing Nigerian envoys? What of the fat allowances paid to the NA members for saying hais and nays and passing useless bills like reversing the national anthem? The masses should just stop being deceived, even if na juju dey work on them make them pray to God for emancipation . They keep making same mistake again and again every 4 years and they keep suffering needlessly.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by 82man: 8:04am On May 29
Can you imagine APC chairman in my area in Lagos is complaining about Tinubu emilokan government that this government is not good and worsted 🤣🤣🤣🤣 the breeze is blowing everyone Balla blu bullaba at work
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by idanone(m): 8:06am On May 29
Apc Government of lower lower, higher higher.....
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by slimjohn2k5: 8:06am On May 29
The smallest amount you can hear from the govt mouth is minimum wage
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by VaginaAcademic: 8:07am On May 29
Sine die, cordis die all die na die
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Eriokanmi: 8:17am On May 29
82man:
Can you imagine APC chairman in my area in Lagos is complaining about Tinubu emilokan government that this government is not good and worsted 🤣🤣🤣🤣 the breeze is blowing everyone Balla blu bullaba at work
This is just the beginning. I watched on TVC news 2 days ago where a man, who also supported the evil party from his statement came to report some heinous and barbaric activities of doctors in a particular government hospital in lagos to journalists. He said his wife was to give birth so he took her to a hospital, she was induced for hours but the baby didn't come. Later the whole pregnancy developed complications, the placenta got ruptured and both the mother and child died.

Those doctors, after knowing the gravity and implications of their carelessness, removed the woman's uterus to prevent them from being fingered in any autopsy report. The man is seriously groaning, seeking justice and I pray he gets one. Had we a sensible leader, would that have happened? Qualified doctors have left Nigeria and the same are their consultants abroad when they go there to treat ordinary ear infection. This administration will finish Nigeria with propaganda, God forbid

The masses will enjoy true dividend of democracy only when they stop being stooges to these political moneybags, all in the name of sentiments and bigotry, those who don't care of their existence. I'm sure if the poor man had enough money, he'd have taken that woman to a private hospital. Visit lagos general hospitals. All you'd see is people in uniform going up and down doing nothing. The population is even more than patients in some wards. No single equipment but glorified buildings. The level of corruption is so high.

2 Likes

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by MysteryofLight: 8:20am On May 29
dollar124:

Wasn't the FG aware of the possible hyperinflation before recklessly implementing this stupid policies?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Doyin2(m): 8:23am On May 29
telleyway:

That’s not how to run an economy.

So what happens when prices go down?

An employer pays salary based on capacity and capability to pay .This stupid And unnecessary NLC comedy,was never envisioned by the minimum wage law.

How many eligible private companies have the capacity and capability of a 200% jump in their wage bill??
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by hotseat: 8:26am On May 29
The NLC and the TUC must be realistic in their demand so as not to be perceived as being adversaries of the FGN.

It's undeniable that the economic situation has gone haywire and that the average Nigerian is passing through excruciating pains at the moment.

However, the trade unions must be patriotic in their demands as negotiations are usually anchored on compromise.

This "we die here" posture is an ill wind that blows no good for the country.

@hotseat
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by frog12: 8:30am On May 29
so dey use this "sine die" to show they are more intelligent ?? grin grin grin
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by thatigboman: 8:32am On May 29
telleyway:
fuel is 800
Re: Minimum Wage Committee Meeting Postponed Indefinitely by Charly68: 8:35am On May 29
When workers are expecting good news today the useless political committee set up by the Govt dashed their hope . May God punish them for their wickedness

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

President Buhari Receives Report From Presidential Committee (Photos) / Governor Sanwo-Olu Commissions Schools, Roads, Health Centres, Etc. / Oyo Jailbreak: 13 Fleeing Oyo Inmates Rearrested In Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.