Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,868 members, 7,876,303 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:22 PM

Where Were You In 1999? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Were You In 1999? (42146 Views)

Nigerian Politicians' Convoy In 1999 VS Present (Video, Photos) / Throwback Photo Of Kwankwaso And Ganduje In 1999 And 2003 / Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Menclothing1: 2:10pm On May 29
Primary school
Can’t forget obj tenure when strike and scarcity of fuel ⛽️
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Themanleshey: 2:10pm On May 29
Bigcreative:
Omo. This people Don spoil Naija gan o

Dey play , how many people can afford 200,000 as at then ? How many people can afford good car back then ?

Abeg we no wan go back to that kind life biko.

Stop all these sentiments , how many new generation banks do we even have then if not community banks ?

How many people can afford flat screen if not old TV .

I can remember if you want to watch nations cup the whole community will go to a big man house to watch, but now an average Nigerian will sit in their house and watch .

Abeg no deh compare now to those days , those days were nothing to write home about !

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by LordIsaac(m): 2:11pm On May 29
Secondary school…and I followed it on TV. Pastor Kumuyi prayed during the even.😊
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by johnjose68: 2:11pm On May 29
Racoon:
Just exiting secondary school. Having participated in the June 12 political uprisings to ensure MKO Abiola reclaim his mandate, it is sad to see the present disaster on seat who claimed to be a progressive today bastardizing this nation in manner reminiscent of the inglorious Buhari’s military govt of 1984-85.

Now I know u are a baby.

Do not ever say it that you participated in ensuring MKO Abiola reclaim his mandate. Do not ever say that again. Liar!!!

The bigotry in your system speaks to high heaven, so we will not be deceived.

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by CheapHomes1: 2:12pm On May 29
StOla:

Must you always be partisan?

What is unprogressive about a government that has allowed anyone, including yourself, to vent their frustration without any reprisal or consequences?

Does progressive mean government policies will favour everyone?

That your preferred candidate was defeated by a political superior is not the end of progressive politics?

how was he partisan? what exactly did he say that is partisan or did you just learn the word?

why should government policies not favour everyone?

you are the one accusing someone of being partisan and here you are talking about "preferred candidate". what has that got to do with what he said?

this so called "political superior", how has he shown his superiority in governance?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by pek(m): 2:12pm On May 29
Juat finished NYSC. Didn't know what the future held. Saw democracy as the hope we longed for.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Jeje247: 2:13pm On May 29
The law makers should be debating a return to may 29 for democracy day and not national anthem nonsense. What I have learnt so far about the June 12 man doesn't tell of a man who had the best interest of Nigerians at heart. He was just a bulabu version 1.0

6 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Emma1Oj(m): 2:13pm On May 29
Beremx:
I was in 100level in the university.

Nigeria hasn't gotten better though. From frying pan to fire, to hell fire to abyss of hell and it keeps going....
wow..!! Hiw old are you now??
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by oglalasioux(m): 2:13pm On May 29
My first year in the university.

Beer was 35 naira. Today it’s 700 naira.

A plate of beans and yam with a big fish was 50 naira. Today it’s 1500 naira.

We didn’t make progress. There has been no difference between military and civilian rule. Same people. Same mentality.

The black man has a serious problem.

5 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Hakeemoyegoke(m): 2:16pm On May 29
I was just six years old, I remember watching the live broadcast. Right from that day, I developed interest in politics. I was eager to see a better Nigeria. I'm grateful that we have been able to have an uninterrupted democratic rule since then, I commend the effort of president olusegun obasanjo and all other well meaning Nigerians that fought for our democracy. But yet Nigeria of our dreams has not yet been actualized, I just hope it will get better some day

3 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by spencekat(m): 2:16pm On May 29
Jeje247:
The law makers should be debating a return to may 29 for democracy day and not national anthem nonsense. What I have learnt so far about the June 12 man doesn't tell of a man who had the best interest of Nigerians at heart. He was just a bulabu version 1.0
You are right. This June 12th is nonsense.

4 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by spencekat(m): 2:17pm On May 29
pek:
Juat finished NYSC. Didn't know what the future held. Saw democracy as the hope we longed for.
Elder!!!
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by okeke6969: 2:17pm On May 29
StOla:

What is unprogressive about a government that has allowed anyone, including yourself, to vent their frustration without any reprisal or consequences?

That your preferred candidate was defeated by a political superior is not the end of progressive politics?

Did he say anything different?
Let it me say you are comfortable with the status quo.

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by spencekat(m): 2:17pm On May 29
Emma1Oj:
wow..!! Hiw old are you now??
See question!!!
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Sirseedorf(m): 2:18pm On May 29
I was in my early primary school class, don't know much about obj regime, my eyes clear to politics when yar adua became the president.

I wish nigeria could be like the old days, not much crime and hunger like this days .
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by malikombi(m): 2:18pm On May 29
Gained admission to Ibadan grammar school, molete Ibadan.
I was 9 years
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Franzinni: 2:19pm On May 29
Dreaming of becoming the best at what I do ... But all this years after I am awake to the Nigerian factor
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by godwon01(m): 2:19pm On May 29
South Africa.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by grandstar(m): 2:19pm On May 29
Racoon:
Just exiting secondary school. Having participated in the June 12 political uprisings to ensure MKO Abiola reclaim his mandate, it is sad to see the present disaster on seat who claimed to be a progressive today bastardizing this nation in manner reminiscent of the inglorious Buhari’s military govt of 1984-85.

Buhar of1983-1985 was not the same as president of 2015-2023.

You have no clue about what you're talking about.

Buhari's had zero tolerance regarding corruption. He imprisoned hundreds of politicians of the second republic, giving handing them lengthy jail terms. The junta told the judges the sentences to hand out. They ran a kangaroo court system.

Even Fela was sent to imprisoned on trumped up charges. The judge who sentenced him came to meet him in prison when IBB toppled Buhari's government. The judge pleaded for forgiveness, stating he was just carrying out orders from above.

I was in my first year in secondary when Buhari's coup happened. It the first time I head the phrase coup d'etat. I thought the highly corrupt Second Republic would serve out Shagari's second term.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Lazyuth: 2:20pm On May 29
zinaunreal:
Boarding school. Jss3 getting brainwashed by education

I was also in JSS 3.

Our leadership have failed us truly truly and verily
because they have been promising us that things shall get better.
With 50Naira, you are a big boy.
We patronize Mr. Biggs Meatpie (20-25 Naira, or drink Gold Spot or Limca, Solo Coke, etc ( 10 Naira)
Garri was regarded as a food for the poor bountifully available in most homes. But I can say categorically that you can't currently find 5 average homes where they have half bag of garri stocked at home. Very bad

Those days, Children visit neighbours and sleep over in neighbours apartment and will even be bold to eat there but reverse is the case 25years later for economic, moral and spiritual reasons
May 29th was a Saturday, I watched the proceedings live and I pray very hopefully to eat the good of the Land.

God, let your kingdom come speedily and guide our selfish leaders right because majority of them were beneficiaries of manageable governance in the country and were exposed to witness what obtains in countries that are doing well

3 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by mightyhazel: 2:20pm On May 29
200level

Deputy clerk in the faculty Congress

Later won the most outstanding congress man of the year, beating all 500level congress members to clinch it

2 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by OkpaNsukkaisBae(m): 2:20pm On May 29
I dey planet Pluto then. Will soon go back.. Aje
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by michlins(m): 2:21pm On May 29
id4sho:
Nnewi, Anambra State. I can remember 1998 December local government elections. My Dad was DPO, CPS Nnewi. Armed robbery and assassination was order of the day. The good shepherd School. Primary 3 tongue
omo. I know this school. Very popular school here in Nnewi. Meanwhile, I was just too young in 99

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Elizkid: 2:22pm On May 29
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Elizkid: 2:22pm On May 29
I was 2 years old
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Blitzking: 2:22pm On May 29
Efuaye:
Twenty Five years of unbroken democracy, how has Nigerians fared?

I remember all the events that preceded May 29, 1999. There was excitement everywhere that at last the military was exiting the political stage in the annals of our history but today a lot of people will tell you that things are not in any way better, especially in these last few years!

The question is, Where were you and how old were you in 1999?

Is this the democracy you hoped for?

Are we there yet?
Moved from a house my pop c sold for 2million naira in lag after retirement we were supposed to move to the village but 2weeks to the expiry given( usually 3months is given) date my mum said she wasn't going so he bought another house immediately in lagos. Mind you that same house is going for 200million naira today

2 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by MajorOvakporaye(f): 2:23pm On May 29
StOla:

Keep shut you tribal bigot!!! You have no moral standing to criticize anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Mosdiii(m): 2:23pm On May 29
I was in SS 2 in 1999. At home eating food and playing Sisquo "Unleash the Dragon"

3 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by olaniyilukman(m): 2:23pm On May 29
VinnyBaba:

I was in Primary School. sad

Then When I returned back from School, I used to Buy N10 beans, N10 rice and N10 Kpomor to eat as Afternoon food. smiley

Now eating N1000 meal looks like eating Biscuits and Pure water. undecided
You are lying bro, u spent #30 on food, the money is too much then

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by LillyandDaisy: 2:23pm On May 29
So excited gaining admission to secondary school
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by StraightGaay: 2:25pm On May 29
Racoon:
You don old o
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by id4sho(m): 2:26pm On May 29
michlins:
omo. I know this school. Very popular school here in Nnewi. Meanwhile, I was just too young in 99
Interesting cheesy, how time flies. I've forgotten my Igbo speaking skills. We are back to our home in Gombe

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Troops Destroy Boko Haram Spiritual Base At Alagarno Forest,Borno. Graphic Pics / Aisha Yar'adua, Musa Yar'adua's Daughter Stuns In New Photos / EndSARS: Gridlock In Lagos As Protesters Shut Down Lekki Toll Gate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.