Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,196 members, 7,887,465 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 09:17 AM

Where Were You In 1999? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Were You In 1999? (42245 Views)

Nigerian Politicians' Convoy In 1999 VS Present (Video, Photos) / Throwback Photo Of Kwankwaso And Ganduje In 1999 And 2003 / Osita Chidoka: There Was No Nollywood When PDP Took Over In 1999 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Bahdguyishere: 2:27pm On May 29
I was writing my WASSCE that year. No mobile phone, no Internet connection, no good road, Rice was not a regular food in most homes, the gap between the rich and the poor was not that much, we didn't have much but we were happy, you dont need to be rich for you to be loved or to have a girlfriend/boyfriend.
Have we improved? Yes
Can we do better? Yes .
Wether good or bad I WILL ALWAYS LOVE NIGERIA MY FATHER LAND.
EVEN IN THE FACE OF TRIAL AND TRIBULATION I WILL NOT SPEAK ILL OF NIGERIA
GOD BLESS NIGERIA.

3 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by karmaolu1(m): 2:27pm On May 29
3year Fu*king old
And what happened ❓❓
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by raumdeuter: 2:27pm On May 29
oglalasioux:
My first year in the university.

Beer was 35 naira. Today it’s 700 naira.

A plate of beans and yam with a big fish was 50 naira. Today it’s 1500 naira.

We didn’t make progress. There has been no difference between military and civilian rule. Same people. Same mentality.

The black man has a serious problem.

Harp beer was 35 Naira, 4 bottles for 140 and you go don dey alright

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by daniwise(m): 2:27pm On May 29
Just finished secondary school.We mount wella for Kosofe,Adebimpe street precisely.We ball with very little or close to nothing.Vino tinto been suffer well well that year sha.After gyming na to wear armless dey pose for our gate.Good old days.I strongly believe it can never well with APC and their rubbish supporters.

3 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by LegendHero(m): 2:28pm On May 29
Beremx:
I was in 100level in the university.

Nigeria hasn't gotten better though. From frying pan to fire, to hell fire to abyss of hell and it keeps going....

Omo you are older o. In 1999, I still dey primary school.

Just about to finish primary school by that time.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Adaisback(f): 2:29pm On May 29
I dey Balogun nursery and primary school Ilorin
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by agaliboy: 2:29pm On May 29
January 1999 was the year I started my BSc in Mechanical Engineering at the Obafemi Awolowo University. Wow, how time flies

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by tosyne2much(m): 2:29pm On May 29
I was in primary 6 six then.. Was still very young cheesy
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Sleekfingers: 2:30pm On May 29
ddlondon:
I wasn't even yet to be born

I am 2003 born

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You murdered English

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by michlins(m): 2:30pm On May 29
id4sho:

Interesting cheesy, how time flies. I've forgotten my Igbo speaking skills. We are back to our home in Gombe
it's a small world man

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by nairalanda1(m): 2:31pm On May 29
Efuaye:
Twenty Five years of unbroken democracy, how has Nigerians fared?

I remember all the events that preceded May 29, 1999. There was excitement everywhere that at last the military was exiting the political stage in the annals of our history but today a lot of people will tell you that things are not in any way better, especially in these last few years!

The question is, Where were you and how old were you in 1999?

Already in university then. Old enough. grin

Is this the democracy you hoped for?

1.Hell no. Once I saw the cast of characters in PDP, and even some of the APP (a precusor to APC) folk...I knew we were in for a rough ride. Too many ex millitary and ex politicians from the corrupt old first and second republic. But what could we do? There was no law preventing them from running, and the army wanted out. (According to Max Silohum, the army wanted out in 1993 self, it was just that Abacha was too cunny and strong for the elements that wanted out. Once he died...).

2.Democracy is a lot of hard work. The problem with Nigerians is that we all just want to vote and go home. Even now, most of us on this site don';t want to join parties or run for office.

Even voting...people come here complain about APC and PDP...and on election day, it's APC and PDP. People complain about all the old men ruling us. Well, in the last election, we had a young professor running for president. We all did not vote for him...the three leading candidates were old men (and when confronted on the matter, we bring up Yahaya bello...who by the way was not running).

3.We have had nothing but the same old same old.

Are we there yet?

No

Democracy is hard work

You want good government...start by voting in a govenrment that has ideas to make us an exporter of manufactured goods and services...and to increase our tax to gdp level, and to remove subsides on everything except health and education....and even education, subsides for universites have to go.

Because the debt is rising thanks to all the issues from not doing the above.

But we want to use tomorrow's money to pay for today's blessing. cheesy
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by nedekid: 2:31pm On May 29
I was working somewhere on the island, 3-4years after nysc.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by anataala: 2:31pm On May 29
Graduated from University awaiting NYSC.
Efuaye:

I remember all the events that preceded May 29, 1999. There was excitement everywhere that at last the military was exiting the political stage in the annals of our history but today a lot of people will tell you that things are not in any way better, especially in these last few years!

Are we there yet?
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Mo6M: 2:33pm On May 29
Racoon:
Just exiting secondary school. Having participated in the June 12 political uprisings to ensure MKO Abiola reclaim his mandate, it is sad to see the present disaster on seat who claimed to be a progressive today bastardizing this nation in manner reminiscent of the inglorious Buhari’s military govt of 1984-85.

ARE WE MATES grin grin grin grin
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Judolisco(m): 2:33pm On May 29
My younger bro was born dis night in 1999....omo...I Don old small oh
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by frankson1(m): 2:34pm On May 29
VinnyBaba:

I was in Primary School. sad

Then When I returned back from School, I used to Buy N10 beans, N10 rice and N10 Kpomor to eat as Afternoon food. smiley

Now eating N1000 meal looks like eating Biscuits and Pure water. undecided

Not like everyone could easily afford peak milk or lived the best lives.

Not like everyone could afford bags or even half-bags of rice, beans etc

Most people are still buying rice in cups the same way people were buying rice in cups in the regime of your best president.

The wickedness of your fellow men and women is amongst the major reasons why common food products or items have become too expensive.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Emma1Oj(m): 2:37pm On May 29
Skyfornia:
The year I got admission...lots of hope and excitement filled the air. Took a luxurious bus from Onitsha to ABA and then from Aba to Calabar via Crosslines bus.

25 years after, nothing positive have changed in the country, the country keep retrogressing. I have stopped praying for a better Nigeria and now praying for myself and loved ones.
add me to the list of your love ones.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Emma1Oj(m): 2:39pm On May 29
spencekat:
See question!!!
woooooo..!!! Hey concern youuuuu!! Na your question...?

Abi you wan follow me drag her.?
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by crackhouse(m): 2:41pm On May 29
In 1999 Nigerians were happy that they would enjoy democracy and be free from army oppression but we never knew what is accompanied with democracy is worser than military rule..
Nigerians now behave like animals.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Emma09(m): 2:41pm On May 29
21 yrs. Still seeking admission then. Though later gained Admission to FCE(T) Akoka same year.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by MissOpe(f): 2:42pm On May 29
Efuaye:

Are we there yet?

Here's a rewritten version of your text with some minor corrections and improvements:

I was 11 years old and in JSS 3 at an all-girls secondary school in a village in Lagos. At the time, I had limited awareness of the political landscape, having grown up in a community heavily influenced by the Deeper Life Christian ministry, which focused primarily on spiritual matters and salvation. As a result, I didn't fully understand the political developments and controversies surrounding figures like Babangida and Mariam, who were often mentioned in discussions about corruption and criminal activities
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Kingzadee: 2:43pm On May 29
VinnyBaba:

I was in Primary School. sad

Then When I returned back from School, I used to Buy N10 beans, N10 rice and N10 Kpomor to eat as Afternoon food. smiley

Now eating N1000 meal looks like eating Biscuits and Pure water. undecided

What kind of rice and beans do you buy for N10 each during the year 1999?

They sold for 50kobo and N1 during this period. Ishan like the Yoruba call it and meat were sold for kobos and N.
If you ate N10 rice, N10 beans N10 kpomo at that time just for for lunch, my brother you be beast o..

2 Likes

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by akevic: 2:43pm On May 29
lets keep praying for our country Nigeria and our leaders as commanded by God. things are really bad right now but with God things can get better.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Beremx(f): 2:45pm On May 29
LegendHero:

Omo you are older o. In 1999, I still dey primary school.

Just about to finish primary school by that time.
serious? You should be in your early 30s then. Askari from today, you will start calling me auntie. grin grin
Oh well, you don't write like someone in his 30s though. I thought you were older maybe in his 40s or even 50s. Wow!!
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Laka2bor(m): 2:51pm On May 29
Good question
After 1999
We have heard
2 Non Military president
In our Democracy
President Goodluck Jonathan
Your so called drummer
President Hamed Bola Tinubu
The city boy
In all they are from South
Now rate this 2 as President of Fed Rep of Nigeria
I'm glad it fall in is to judge for our future decision
Congratulations on the President for His 1 year in office.
Nigerians we remember their leaders for their work and input positively or negatively
God bless Nigeria
God bless all of us

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Elidrisy20: 2:52pm On May 29
In exile with ojukwu
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Jez9(m): 2:54pm On May 29
I was in Pry 4 class then.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by jimetagambo: 2:55pm On May 29
Efuaye:

Are we there yet?
Getting ready to enter university.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Raskimonojendor: 2:56pm On May 29
Year one at university.

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Franking: 2:56pm On May 29
Preparing for my degree exams.

Democracy as practiced in Nigeria presently is a sham. It favours only politicians and the level of corruption is mind blowing.

I don not support this kind of democracy.
Re: Where Were You In 1999? by adams123: 2:59pm On May 29
StOla:
I was in secondary school and thought the military was gone for good.

They only left power, they did not leave control.

Tinubu is not a military man and he's not being controlled by any military man and results are not too encouraging

1 Like

Re: Where Were You In 1999? by Adlac(m): 3:00pm On May 29
NiRfreak:
I watched this broadcast live.....on ITV Benin
I was home alone..Dad and mom had gone to work.......

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!

It was a public holiday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Femi Fani-kayode Reacts To Tinubu Appointment To Reconcile Aggrieved APC Members / President Buhari Nominates Kingsley Obiorah As CBN Deputy Governor / The Many Sins Of Sunday Igboho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.