Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,364 members, 7,888,155 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:41 PM

Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters (18103 Views)

Tinubu Takes The Lead, Submits APC Nomination Form With More Than 570 Delegates / Tinubu Arrives Nigeria, Shows Off His Nomination Form With Sanwo-Olu / IPOB: "Why Didn’t Police Invite Army, Air Force Over Killer-herdsmen?"- Ohanaeze (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by REALretep(m): 9:00am On Jun 21
Can someone please educate me on the role of the Nigerian Air Force if the Nigerian Army now buys assault helicopters
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by Originalsly: 9:03am On Jun 21
What difference will this make?..... did the various weapons and equipment they acquired in the past.ame any difference? Seems like the more they acquire the worst the security gets
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by bouncin04(m): 9:04am On Jun 21
arantess:

to be fair to black hawk, those were lucky shots fired when it was hovering as men were egressing.

I remember that movie , Blackhawk down.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by tutudesz: 9:09am On Jun 21
REALretep:
Can someone please educate me on the role of the Nigerian Air Force if the Nigerian Army now buys assault helicopters
Navy own Helicopters for easy transport of personals to ship and it hasn't affected the Air force.
The communication process between Army and air force takes time. with the army assault helicopter unit, air support can be provided easier and on time.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by bouncin04(m): 9:15am On Jun 21
Simeonjoe1:

True. The Huay was the work horse of US army in the Vietnam War. E too suffer for their hand.

But it also shows reliability and mass production, Nigeria going for this modern retrofit shows its cheaper and maybe we can buy in bulk.
The A10 warthog on the other hand might be expensive, even if it's cheap to purchase it might be expensive maintaining operational cost on the long run, there's a reason the US army is retiring it (cost). Instead I'll opt for more turboprop Tucano planes,cheaper, lighter and does the work effectively too.

The Huay with modern avionics isn't bad either might be cheaper to purchase and maintain, got tons of spear parts, can be used for different mission roles, surveillance, light attack, tracking of bandits, extradition, troops transport..like the US army was able to adapt it to the Vietnamese dense jungle, we can also use it in our vast northern landscape.

Imaging a scenario where army can easy go after bandit after attacking a town or kidnapping people in large numbers. A huey armed with a good rocket pod, 12mm machine gun or a gratling will bring hell while some transport troops to be dropped for the round up.

Insightful ideas though.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by kushme: 9:31am On Jun 21
Bluntemperor:
God bless Nigeria and Nigeria will overcome her Challenges - •Kidnappers, Terrorists, Criminalities and ALL Borders Wickedness and their Supporters, including some Traditional-rulers and Religious bigots- benefiting from the Evil in the Land.
•God bless our Army,the Air Force,the Navy,the NSA,the NDLA,Security Apparatus -who refuses to Compromised their Values for Money or Shaddy Acts.

You know our security personnel have this hidden, sometimes open competition amongst themselves, certainly, part of the reasons they've finding it hard to reduce the insecurity to it's barest minimal. The Army wants Nigerians to see as number1 when comes to security. They have this sense of superiority over Air force and Navy.
See the Army, there just everywhere and want everything. They do police work, even tell civilians that they are indisciplined and want to teach them our to live in society. Now this, they are gradually trying to take the main job of the Nigerian Air force!!! cheesy
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by Offpointng: 9:31am On Jun 21
GloriousGbola:
the huey
a classic military chopper
if they are going for these they should also throw in am a10 warthog
Army? Warthog? you must be joking
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by Vulcan24(m): 9:35am On Jun 21
Dogalmighty17:
What a log of garbage. The Huey that the US used in Vietnam is what our army depends on as cutting edge close air support tech? The huey? This platform that was developed in the early 1950s before Nigeria got independence?

In contested airspace where bandits across the North have access to weapon systems that bring down fast moving fighter jets, a huey that its maximum speed is 127mph is just a flying coffin. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

The US is about to retire several hundred of its A-10 warthogs. That's about the most capable close air support platform around. Since the US is now willing to sell weapon platforms to Nigeria, they might consider selling some A-10s to us. Even though that's a tall order.

2024 and na Huey wey oyibo don forget about since 1950 na him our army fall hand dey buy so. Shebi dem no see blackhawk buy as dem go market?

Mickey mouse helicopter ! Leave them to their mediocrity
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by Tradepunter2: 9:39am On Jun 21
Dogalmighty17:
What a log of garbage. The Huey that the US used in Vietnam is what our army depends on as cutting edge close air support tech? The huey? This platform that was developed in the early 1950s before Nigeria got independence?

In contested airspace where bandits across the North have access to weapon systems that bring down fast moving fighter jets, a huey that its maximum speed is 127mph is just a flying coffin. Who the hell thought this was a good idea?

The US is about to retire several hundred of its A-10 warthogs. That's about the most capable close air support platform around. Since the US is now willing to sell weapon platforms to Nigeria, they might consider selling some A-10s to us. Even though that's a tall order.

2024 and na Huey wey oyibo don forget about since 1950 na him our army fall hand dey buy so. Shebi dem no see blackhawk buy as dem go market?

It's a shame my brother..... The corruption is very big..... Budget allocation were made for the Blackhawks at a time..... But counter argument from certain section of the military canceled it..... Trust me when I say capable hands were frustrated out of the armed forces..... The special forces were significantly affected in shadow power tussle..... Some times I shed tears cuz most of our potential serving was thrown down the drain
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by Offpointng: 9:39am On Jun 21
JuanDeDios:

But have the Tucanos we bought served us well? Not much is heard about them. Even the CDS hinted in a recent interview that attack helis do the job better.

The Tucano has actually served well. I can attest to this statement cuz I was in the Air Force Special Operations Command and I saw what the Tucano did, I was amazed
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by gly2ken: 9:40am On Jun 21
I am of the opinion that this is a duplication of role and functions. Why not the army and air force liaise instead of the army having an air brigade.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by PUNANI01: 9:41am On Jun 21
We will still bring am down!
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by Offpointng: 9:42am On Jun 21
tutudesz:

Navy own Helicopters for easy transport of personals to ship and it hasn't affected the Air force.
The communication process between Army and air force takes time. with the army assault helicopter unit, air support can be provided easier and on time.

So what will the AF now be doing??
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by GloriousGbola: 9:43am On Jun 21
Offpointng:

Army? Warthog? you must be joking

The a10 warthog if I recall is used primarily by the US army for air support. It is one of the best fighters for direct support of infantry

You will observe that the Nigeria army seems to be taking the US approach where every military branch has their own planes and pilots who would be under their direct command.

The us navy has the fa14 tomcat designed for aircraft carriers

The us marines have the harrier jet (vertical take off from vessels)

The army had the huey and warthogs.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by AceRoyal: 10:00am On Jun 21
tutudesz:

You are the clueless one cool

I'm not against getting helicopters or airplanes but times are changing. This helicopter will soon be completely phased out of operations because it doesn't meet the standard requirements of modern warfare.

It's very good that you chose to expose your uncut foo..lish..ness. It's very sad and obvious that your smart phone is smarter than it's user by a very long stretch.

I won't reply or engage you no more

Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by GodHimself: 10:05am On Jun 21
Everybody wants to act in a movie.

Lanrelagboi:
The first ever Aviation Brigade in the Nigerian Army is taking shape with the delivery of the first pair of UH-1 Huey helicopters from the United States. Bringing with it new structure, new doctrine and brand new way of fighting.

Combining the airlift and CAS capabilities of the UH-1 Huey together with the attack firepower of the incoming Cayuse Warrior helicopters, the Nigerian army will be able to mount air assault operations using the firepower and mobility of these helicopters.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by JuanDeDios: 10:12am On Jun 21
Offpointng:

The Tucano has actually served well. I can attest to this statement cuz I was in the Air Force Special Operations Command and I saw what the Tucano did, I was amazed
Good to know.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by tnerro1(m): 10:17am On Jun 21
The Army chief said is for evacuations of wounded and reconnaissance. You carry this old bird go active war front, na RPG go send am back to it’s maker
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 10:25am On Jun 21
The Bell UH-1 'Huey' helicopter entered service in the US Army 1959 and was retired in 2015. It has not seen real combat with the US army since the late 1980's.
That is what they are selling to you.
Indeed there was a country

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_UH-1_Iroquois
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by stacyadams: 10:30am On Jun 21
Dogalmighty17:

grin them go run repaint am
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:01am On Jun 21
santaclaws:
This is commendable but the FG and Nigerian military have been underperforming when it comes to banditry and terrorism.

We have the Army, Air Force, Police, NSCDC and the Navy... Boko Haram & ISWAP don't have fighter jets or helicopters, just AK 47 and improvised explosives, yet they've fostered for so long with many of them even spreading to other parts of Nigeria.

What a big shame!
IS MAINLY YOU WHO FAILED angry.IS YOUR OWN MAIN FAILURE TO EXPOSE CRIMINALS IN THEIR HOLES AND HIDEOUT,AS YOU FLY YOUR DRONES AND DO YA SOCIAL MEDIA FRENZY. INTEL AND SURVEILLENCE WIN WARS.
GORILLA WARFARE IS NO WARFARE BUT A COWARDLY ACT OF CRIMINALS. angryyou see in some southeast and north spots. angry
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:03am On Jun 21
Kudos to NA as you use Deploy to weed out those criminals in bashes angry
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by PARADIZEPRIEST: 11:05am On Jun 21
Kudos to the NA
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by godofuck231: 11:09am On Jun 21
Oooooooooo thats my baby

Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by tutudesz: 11:16am On Jun 21
Offpointng:

So what will the AF now be doing??
The Air force has more advance equipment helicopter and planes for airstrike
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by tutudesz: 11:21am On Jun 21
AceRoyal:

I'm not against getting helicopters or airplanes but times are changing. This helicopter will soon be completely phased out of operations because it doesn't meet the standard requirements of modern warfare.

It's very good that you chose to expose your uncut foo..lish..ness. It's very sad and obvious that your smart phone is smarter than it's user by a very long stretch.

I won't reply or engage you no more

Stop exposing your foolishness to the world undecided
You comparing US military plans to that of Nigeria This helicopter are for used within Nigeria and are equipped with up to date tech.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by tutudesz: 11:24am On Jun 21
AceRoyal:

Bandits with RPG, high calibre rifles or mounted guns can easily bring this helicopter down and the crash is always fatal (Google this). It's going to be a case of penny wide, pound foolish.

I can tell you for a fact that the government will not even buy up to 20, this is just an avenue to siphon cash.

We need more of attack helicopters, not this.
All helicopters can be shut down by anything, regardless of how advance it is.
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by REALretep(m): 12:00pm On Jun 21
tutudesz:

That of navy is somewhat understandable cos they protect the water by patrolling and flying over it but these army assault helicopters are more like duplication of functions cos that should be the primary role of air force.
My thoughts anyway... those in the armed forces know best...
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by tutudesz: 12:14pm On Jun 21
REALretep:
That of navy is somewhat understandable cos they protect the water by patrolling and flying over it but these army assault helicopters are more like duplication of functions cos that should be the primary role of air force.
My thoughts anyway... those in the armed forces know best...

Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by arantess: 12:20pm On Jun 21
bouncin04:

I remember that movie , Blackhawk down.
yea true life humiliation for US

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by REALretep(m): 1:22pm On Jun 21
tutudesz:

This is still clearly a duplication of functions.
None of these answers my questions of the role of the Nigerian Navy in the Nigerian Armed Forces
Re: Nigerian Army Air Brigade Takes Form With Assault Helicopters by VonSmallhausen: 4:15pm On Jun 21
REALretep:
This is still clearly a duplication of functions.
None of these answers my questions of the role of the Nigerian Navy in the Nigerian Armed Forces

The main issue is the difference in command structure between the two services i.e. Army and Airforce.
During an operation, when a ground force needs close air support, or medical evacuation etc. they have to radio their army command, which radios the airforce command, which radios the particular squadron for the operation before they can respond. All of this makes the cooperation so cumbersome, and wounded men on the battlefield could die etc. Even when the airforce pilots are attached directly to an army task force for an operation, the army commander cannot actually give them direct orders the way they could give if the pilots were army men.

There have even been instances where an airforce helicopter pilot could refuse to make a landing because of e.g. weather concerns. whereas the officers on board are ordering the pilot to land.

So many a time, it is best for the army to use their own helicopters or even light attack aircraft to support their operations, and leave the Air force to focus on air superiority i.e. fighting enemy aircraft, as well as long range strike missions and other more strategic operations.

i hope this helped.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ekweremadu’s A Good Example For Nigerian Politicians —saraki / Ganduje: Kingmakers Hire 7 SANs, 17 Other Lawyers To Battle Governor / IRI, NDI, EU Reports: I’m Embarrassed To Be Nigerian -ozekhome

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.