Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,181,187 members, 7,913,372 topics. Date: Wednesday, 07 August 2024 at 04:09 AM

Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final (25396 Views)

EA Sports Have Predicted Argentina To Win The World Cup / The Moment Croatia Beat Argentina To Give Nigeria Qualification Hope (Pic Video) / "We Will Beat Iceland, Argentina To Qualify" — Rohr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Almiron: 11:46am On Jul 10
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Under a hot, sticky sky, Argentina and Lionel Messi sealed their second consecutive Copa América final -- and fourth in past five tournaments -- with a 2-0 win over Canada on Tuesday.

Thanks to goals from Manchester City's Julián Àlvarez and Messi, Argentina secured a strong and somewhat painless victory over the Copa's last remaining Concacaf nation. It was also Messi's 109th international goal, passing Ali Daei for second-most men's international goals of all time.

Canada, in quintessential Jesse Marsch fashion, started with a lot of energy as their high press aimed to make Argentina just as uncomfortable as the weather at MetLife stadium. Nashville SC's Jacob Shaffelburg tested Gonzalo Montiel's right side early in the game, but in the end, it came to nothing.

As the first half developed, that Canadian press and aggression deflated, and Argentina started to take more control as Messi attempted a low, left-footed shot in the 12th minute. Canada was not bowing down, and it looked to capitalize on loose possession, but it still couldn't find the right pass to fully threaten Argentina keeper Emiliano Martínez

And when you play Argentina, you have to take any chance you get, because if you don't, Lionel Scaloni's side will eventually make you pay.

They are, after all, FIFA's best-ranked team and World Cup and Copa América defending champions for a reason.

And in the 22nd minute, La Albiceleste took the lead following a great through ball from Rodrigo De Paul that found Àlvarez. It was Àlvarez's second goal in the tournament and again, just like in the opening game during the group stages, he initiated the scoring against Canada

The evaporation of Canada's in-your-face approach allowed Argentina to become the complete protagonists. As for Messi's first half? He was relatively quiet in terms of threat, but his movement in the midfield and ability to spread the ball around was present. In the 44th minute, a beautiful play between Ángel Dí María, Àlvarez and Messi nearly ended with the Inter Miami CF star scoring a goal, but Messi placed it just wide of Maxime Crépeau's net.

By the end of the first half, Argentina had more than 60% possession and eight attempts. Aside from an effort after a throw-in, which needed Martínez to deny Alphonso Davies, the defending Copa América champions were in full control.

In the end, the game was done and dusted after the first goal, and Argentina made it to yet another Copa América final. Next up for them is a return to Hard Rock Stadium and their home away from home of Miami. They await the winner of Wednesday's tasty fixture between Colombia and Uruguay.

Source: ESPN

35 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Almiron: 11:46am On Jul 10
Over #80k came to watch the 🐐 play earlier this morning. This is America not Europe where football isn't their favorite sport, they call it soccer 😂. This attendance ain't new though cos Messi has been selling out stadiums since he moved the burger league. The number is greater that their favorite Superbowl in recent years

He scored and won yet another MOTM yesterday, guided his team to consecutive Copa America finals. Something Penado can't relate too, the desert scam was a liability to his team, he literally send em home with his fragile ego.

This would probably be his last international appearance, he said in his post match interview. He's about to leave when the ovation is high and loud, unlike some Portugal donkey, I heard the m0ron is preparing for 2026 to seek personal glory again, it will end in tears not for only him but his team. I hope they drop his assss...

Messi isn't anyone's mate dead or alive. He is the face of football till eternity.

Penadogs, y'all know the drill make una cry in my mentions as usual. I go reply randomly like I always do. Una tears too sweet pls send excess.

135 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Upbarcablog: 12:31pm On Jul 10
2024 go long for football lovers wey no like
Messi and Barça grin grin

88 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by chiefolododo(m): 1:55pm On Jul 10
I wish it's a proper tournament

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Forberr16(m): 1:55pm On Jul 10
lol fraudster

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by dapsoneh: 1:55pm On Jul 10
One nicomfool grin said FIFA was making copa America easy for Messi while making Euro difficult for Ronaldo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Shey na fifa dey grab messi's leg pr Ronaldo's leg say make dem miss penalties?
Messi na baba any day anytime
Of he wins this copa America again, 9th Ballon de or dey load be that

87 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Chibuzoripob: 1:56pm On Jul 10
angry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by israelmao(m): 1:56pm On Jul 10
Messi is a bundle of talents.Many wins at the club level,World Cup trophy for his nation.He has really carved a niche for himself in the soccer world.

86 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Dangrace01: 1:57pm On Jul 10
Okay
Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Bantino(m): 1:57pm On Jul 10
“They are, after all, FIFA's best-ranked team and World Cup and Copa América defending champions for a reason. “

What then do you expect?

Well deserved win, congratulations to Argentina and Messi

42 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by SFSNIPER(m): 1:57pm On Jul 10
They will not win.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by ecolime(m): 1:57pm On Jul 10
Almiron:

Penadogs, y'all know the drill make una cry in my mentions as usual. I go reply randomly like I always do. Una tears too sweet pls send excess.

Your hatred for CR7 is legendary. You fit die of boredom the day he retires from football.

If I may ask, why do beef the guy so much? Abi your babe is crushing on him?

I no just understand you cheesy

Meanwhile, you get bad mouth oo. Chaii

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by diamond68: 1:57pm On Jul 10
shocked
Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by lagonovo: 1:58pm On Jul 10
Despite only being a preseason friendly, Manchester United’s match against Real Madrid at Michigan Stadium drew a sell-out crowd of 109,318 — a new record for a soccer match in the United States. The previous record of 101,799 was set by the 1984 Olympic gold-medal match between France and Brazil at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California.

Almiron:
Over #80k came to watch the 🐐 play earlier this morning. This is America not Europe where football isn't their favorite sport, they call it soccer 😂. This attendance ain't new though cos Messi has been selling out stadiums since he moved the burger league. The number is greater that their favorite Superbowl in recent years

He scored and won yet another MOTM yesterday, guided his team to consecutive Copa America finals. Something Penado can't relate too, the desert scam was a liability to his team, he literally send em home with his fragile ego.

This would probably be his last international appearance, he said in his post match interview. He's about to leave when the ovation is high and loud, unlike some Portugal donkey, I heard the m0ron is preparing for 2026 to seek personal glory again, it will end in tears not for only him but his team. I hope they drop his assss...

Messi isn't anyone's mate dead or alive. He is the face of football till eternity.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by specialmati(m): 1:58pm On Jul 10
grin grin grin grin grin grin the best of the bests

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Adakintroy: 1:58pm On Jul 10
Ororo go don cry cartah commot from nose. Ronoldo fans go shoot Messi itagba if he win this competition.

At this point I don't want Messi to win anything it getting to obvious. I like it better when wasn't too obvious.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by digitaccountant: 1:59pm On Jul 10
Messi the greatest player in the History of Football ? cool

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Fatbam005: 1:59pm On Jul 10
Greatness at its peak. We won't forget a particular comparison cried out of tournament he recently participated in with zero goal from opening play

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by kennyz247(m): 1:59pm On Jul 10
GOAT...
I doubt if the world can ever produce another player like Messi again....

33 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by MrBONE2(m): 1:59pm On Jul 10
Almiron:

Damn it Bwana, grin

This got many Penaldo.. Oooh Penaldos fans here around me Cryme-Oceans am afraid their Tears hayaaf filled up our Dams here about to cause Flooding,

Wish me Well Bwana cos I don't know if I will survive the Havoc which their Tears is about to Cause cheesy

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Debroslink: 1:59pm On Jul 10
To whom it may concern

21 G/A in international KO stage no be moi moi

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Judolisco(m): 2:00pm On Jul 10
D other one no Wan retire grin grin e dey drag him teammates down

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by ObaKlaz: 2:00pm On Jul 10
Meanwhile, Oga Mistiano Penaldo, Mr. WaSIU go return to Camel league begin score goals wey him nor fit score in Euros against Alhajis wey dey fast, and him fans go begin hail am. grin grin cheesy

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by trulymatters(m): 2:00pm On Jul 10
The Greatest, what a privilege to witness in my lifetime!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by OmotolaDiego(m): 2:00pm On Jul 10
The greatest sportsman in history 💯🌟🌟🌟

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by Michael547(m): 2:05pm On Jul 10
Nice
Re: Messi Guides Argentina To Another Copa Final by dipsx(m): 2:05pm On Jul 10
Na only Messi play the match na.

You people have succeeded in making football about C. Ronaldo and Leo Messi.

It is really tiring, no one else can get the credit abi?

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Okoye, Iwobi Receive Death Threats After Eagles AFCON Exit / Costa Rica Vs Germany: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022. (2 - 4) On 1st December 2022 / Where Are The Cat And Pig That Predicted Nigeria's Victory?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.