Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,176,148 members, 7,896,898 topics. Date: Monday, 22 July 2024 at 01:24 AM

LG AUTONOMY: Sen Kalu Commends Supreme Court Verdict. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / LG AUTONOMY: Sen Kalu Commends Supreme Court Verdict. (149 Views)

Senate Passes LG Autonomy Bill / South-West Governors Propose Six Regions, Demand LG Autonomy, Resource Control / Bayelsa: Festus Keyamo Commends Supreme Court, Advises APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

LG AUTONOMY: Sen Kalu Commends Supreme Court Verdict. by MightyCJ: 10:19pm On Jul 11
The Supreme Court judgement on the autonomy of local governments is one that should be hailed and applauded especially for the courage and independence shown by the judiciary. The Supreme Court being a policy court did what is right and beneficial to the society. While it may look like interference in the states, we should accept that all the calls for end of insecurity, kidnappings and banditry has just begun with this autonomy granted to the local governments.

When the local governments are in total control of their funds, there is flow of resources and activities in the local areas. For instance, when I was governor between 1999-2007, the autonomy of my local government chairmen was a major breakthrough to the success of my administration. The Local Government Chairmen built roads and gave contracts to local contractors. The Chairmen were able to take full responsibility of what happened in their local government and crime was reduced to the barest minimum.

I will also appeal to the Federal Government to consider making a case for local government elections to be conducted by Independent National Electoral Commission ( INEC) instead of the State Independent Electoral Commission ( SIEC) . This will further strengthen the autonomy to the local governments and reduce the pressure on the state governments. When governance gets to the grassroots, it becomes easier to identify and hold the leaders responsible.

I sincerely appeal to the 36 state governors to accept this judgement as a victory for democracy, victory for themselves and victory for all Nigerians.

I also congratulate the President, H. E Bola Ahmed Tinubu; the Attorney General of the Federation Prince Lateef Olasunkanmi Fagbemi SAN and all the Supreme Court Justices that played a role in this landmark achievement for Nigerians. Let’s continue to keep our hopes alive.

2 Shares

Re: LG AUTONOMY: Sen Kalu Commends Supreme Court Verdict. by yarimo(m): 11:10pm On Jul 11
Jubilations all over Nigeria immediately after the judgment, Nigerians are happy to have TINUBU as president

16 Likes 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Dangerous Fall Or Dobale, What Is The Difference? Smelly Lie? / EFCC Vs Yahaya Bello: Appeal Court Asked To Vacate Arrest Warrant / Warning To All Igbos In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.