Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,816 members, 7,966,002 topics. Date: Friday, 04 October 2024 at 07:04 AM

Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending (47237 Views)

Supreme Court’s Judgment Means No FAAC Allocations To CTC Chairmen – Ozekhome / Budgetary Allocations For The Presidential Air Fleet In 13 Years / Falling Oil Price: Fayemi Says States May Get Zero FAAC Allocations In June (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by manmade(m): 4:44am On Jul 14
Kobojunkie:
Wrong! The Supreme Court is not the Law of the land. Rather the Constitution is the Supreme Law of the Land and it does not grant the FG direct access to the Local Governments. The Supreme Law of the Land maintains a direct separation of concerns between the FG, State, and LG by way of what is currently defined. None of the 3 branches directly interact at all. Rather, funds are deposited into an account which is then distributed by the National and State Houses of Assembly undecided

It is wrong to insist that the court interpret the Constitution. Rather, in an attempt to resolve an issue of illegality, the Supreme Court chose to put forth ideas that directly contravene the Supreme Law of the Land. Essentially, the Supreme Court, by giving the FG this go-ahead (supposedly) completely ignored the contents of subsections 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 of section 162 of the Nigerian Constitution. How much more against the Constitution can that get? undecided
I have a feelings that you are not oblivion of the fact that the decision of the supreme court is final in a case like this ..., The constitution has been interpreted and that's the final , the law look at the intent of legislation whenever there's ambiguity like the instant case and they have given it clear interpretations , I don't think I mentioned it anywhere that the supreme court is the law of the land , but court makes new law by the interpretation of the intent of legislators to meet the demands of the present situations, that's why it's commonly said that law is not statics, it grows everyday as the situation demands.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by timisquare82(m): 4:47am On Jul 14
The only way people will enjoy this is to vote in opposition party in each respective states so that Mr governor will not have full control over their chairmen.

1 Like

Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Kobojunkie: 4:51am On Jul 14
manmade:
■ I have a feelings that you are not oblivion of the fact that the decision of the supreme court is final in a case like this ...,
■ The constitution has been interpreted and that's the final , the law look at the intent of legislation whenever there's ambiguity like the instant case and they have given it clear interpretations , I don't think I mentioned it anywhere that the supreme court is the law of the land , but court makes new law by the interpretation of the intent of legislators to meet the demands of the present situations,
■ that's why it's commonly said that law is not statics, it grows everyday as the situation demands.
Indeed it is final but that given it is against the Constitution — basically ignore the very document the Supreme Court was set up to uphold at all cost — it should cause every Nigerian out there to do think. If the Supreme court of the land has no respect for the contract upon which Nigeria itself is defined, then what confidence should the Nigerian people have in its courts? undecided

2. Again, the Constitution was ignored since it contains no ambiguity in this particular instance; it was not interpreted. The decision made by the Supreme Court was rather a political one, not a constitutional one. undecided

3. The Law may not be static, however, that is by no means a reason to completely ignore it. undecided

Again, every time your government circumvented the Constitution— attempted to resolve an illegality by way of another illegality— it has always ended worse for the Nigerian people. And your government has been digging many such holes, back to back, for the last 25 years of this democracy. The ones who have almost always come out at the top every time though are the many criminals in government. I am talking about those who committed the initial illegalities and those who attempted to use illegal means to resolve problems — or at least claimed that was their intention. It never works out for the Nigerian people, and it is no different this time either. undecided

1 Like

Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by manmade(m): 4:56am On Jul 14
Kobojunkie:
You know that not all State Governors are guilt of pillaging State accounts. However, you will scarcely find any LG Council that has responsibly carried out even 1/3rd of its Fourth Schedule Functions in the past 25 years. How many times have you heard of the people in the Local Government sacking and prosecuting any of their LG Chairmans for embezzlement? undecided
Good ! You're now coming back to the main problem on ground, right from 1999 when this constitution was handed to us by the military, the local government chairmen have always been at the mercies of their governor, they don't have free hand to operate, check the news on goggle, you will see a few of local government chairman that tried to rebel against their governors because of this reason and their administration will be dissolved by executive order or by the pronouncement of the house of assembly, that's why you hardly find reputable people or politicians contesting for either councillorship or as LG chairmen but with this new development you will begin to notice grassroots developmental projects here and there.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Kobojunkie: 5:03am On Jul 14
manmade:
■ Good ! You're now coming back to the main problem on ground, right from 1999 when this constitution was handed to us by the military, the local government chairmen have always been at the mercies of their governor, they don't have free hand to operate, check the news on goggle,
you will see a few of local government chairman that tried to rebel against their governorsbecause of this reason and their administration will be dissolved by executive order or by the pronouncement of the house of assembly, that's why you hardly find reputable people or politicians contesting for either councillorship or as LG chairmen but with this new development you will begin to notice grassroots developmental projects here and there.
That is not true at all since not all Governors ILLEGALLY took control of their LGs in 1999. The Constitution, since 1999, has always maintained a separation between the Governors and the LGs, the same as it exists today. There was no reason why the people should have allowed such illegality to continue. The Constitution allows for the impeachment of Governors. undecided

2. Why in the world would an LG chairman need to rebel against the Governor when the Constitution makes clear that there is a separation of concerns at the 3 layers? An LG Chairman ought instead to take his complaint to the electorates who have the power to contain their House of Assembly to investigate and remove the offending Governor from office. undecided

Again, one illegality does not resolve another illegality is what I keep saying here. undecided

Did you know that since 1999, there have only been about 6 attempts made to impeach criminal Governors and most of the attempts were not initiated by the electorates but rather by opposition politicians? undecided
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by manmade(m): 5:08am On Jul 14
Kobojunkie:
Indeed it is final but that given it is against the Constitution — basically ignore the very document the Supreme Court was set up to uphold at all cost — it should cause every Nigerian out there to do think. If the Supreme court of the land has no respect for the contract upon which Nigeria itself is defined, then what confidence should the Nigerian people have in its courts? undecided

2. Again, the Constitution was ignored since it contains no ambiguity in this particular instance; it was not interpreted. The decision made by the Supreme Court was rather a political one, not a constitutional one. undecided

3. The Law may not be static, however, that is by no means a reason to completely ignore it. undecided

Again, every time your government circumvented the Constitution— attempted to resolve an illegality by way of another illegality— it has always ended worse for the Nigerian people. And your government has been digging many such holes, back to back, for the last 25 years of this democracy. The ones who have almost always come out at the top every time though are the many criminals in government. I am talking about those who committed the initial illegalities and those who attempted to use illegal means to resolve problems — or at least claimed that was their intention. It never works out for the Nigerian people, and it is no different this time either. undecided
I believed you're not in support of the governors having access to too much money at their disposal to the extent of embezzling billions of dollars every now and then, then what other way to curb this excess if not by removing the yam from the shed of the goats, the constitution stated that we are practicing federal system of government, check how it's been practice in USA and other federal systems all over, no where in the world have the governor taking money on behalf of the local government or municipal government, the only people that may find this new development unpleasant are the governors and those benefiting from the free loots , I have a feelings that you're one of the caretaker committee that's about to loose his position of free money 💰 or you're indirectly benefiting from the status quo
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by manmade(m): 5:17am On Jul 14
Kobojunkie:
That is not true at all since not all Governors ILLEGALLY took control of their LGs in 1999. The Constitution, since 1999, has always maintained a separation between the Governors and the LGs, the same as it exists today. There was no reason why the people should have allowed such illegality to continue. The Constitution allows for the impeachment of Governors. undecided

2. Why in the world would an LG chairman need to rebel against the Governor when the Constitution makes clear that there is a separation of concerns at the 3 layers? An LG Chairman ought instead to take his complaint to the electorates who have the power to contain their House of Assembly to investigate and remove the offending Governor from office. undecided

Again, one illegality does not resolve another illegality is what I keep saying here. undecided

Did you know that since 1999, there have only been about 6 attempts made to impeach criminal Governors and most of the attempts were not initiated by the electorates but rather by opposition politicians? undecided
you're talking as if you don't understand Nigeria politics, impeachment of governor is not a child play and can't succeed unless with the full support of the president, take for example what is happening in river state, the best way to maintain clear separation of powers is to allow each unit of the federal system to manage it's purse, why I be elected as a chairman by my local government people, only for someone to be telling me that I can't manage my funds , if the people that elected me believed in me then I don't need the validation of any governor to operate or guide how I expend my funds.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Kobojunkie: 5:18am On Jul 14
manmade:
■ I believed you're not in support of the governors having access to too much money at their disposal to the extent of embezzling billions of dollars every now and then, then what other way to curb this excess if not by removing the yam from the shed of the goats,
■ the constitution stated that we are practicing federal system of government, check how it's been practice in USA and other federal systems all over, no where in the world have the governor taking money on behalf of the local government or municipal government,
the only people that may find this new development unpleasant are the governors and those benefiting from the free loots , I have a feelings that you're one of the caretaker committee that's about to loose his position of free money 💰 or you're indirectly benefiting from the status quo
1. First of all the goat-yam analogy is a very stewpid one in this case. Embezzlement is a criminal offense. So, says the Constitution. All those who commit crimes are to be stripped of their office, and prosecuted like the criminals they are. This is simple. So, I don't understand why I need to repeat it over and over again. undecided

2. The same thing happens here in the United States. Embezzlement happens here from time to time. We don't rush to change the laws when it does. NO, we simply do the common sense thing every time, without fail. Any government official caught embezzling public funds is stripped of his office and prosecuted for all crimes committed. So, I am not certain why this idea is just hard for you to grasp. undecided

3. Stop lying, at least to yourselves! You know they embezzled funds yet all you did was take one of the yams away from them and call it a day? And worse, you do this by completely ignoring the very Constitution of the land. Are you for real? What about all the funds they have already embezzled? What about the State funds, loans, etc., they will continue to embezzle? Why do you folks think like this? undecided
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by descartes400: 5:22am On Jul 14
muykem:
FG will give them 6months to conduct election before executing the judgement.

The judgement is with immediate effect.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Kobojunkie: 5:23am On Jul 14
manmade:
■ you're talking as if you don't understand Nigeria politics, impeachment of governor is not a child play and can't succeed unless with the full support of the president, take for example what is happening in river state, the best way to maintain clear separation of powers is to allow each unit of the federal system to manage it's purse, why I be elected as a chairman by my local government people, only for someone to be telling me that I can't manage my funds , if the people that elected me believed in me then I don't need the validation of any governor to operate or guide how I expend my funds.
1. Oh WOW!! So, because it is not child's play, Nigerians shouldn't even attempt it at all? Who told you need to president's support to impeach a governor? Are you kidding me? Do you people even listen to yourselves? Why do you people think like this? undecided

This conversation is the reason why I remain convinced that the Nigerian people are not ready for change at all. They sit back and make excuses for illegalities perpetrated against them yet they dare to complain about the treatment they get from their government. It is like watching a bunch of confused elements rant on about how not much is to be expected of them even while insisting thy are important. Make up your minds abeg! Either do something to change your situation or forever hold your peace on these issues. undecided
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by alansary0064(m): 5:31am On Jul 14
how comes Kano made up the list? because its currently running caretaker chairmen

press9jatv:
"The judgement of the government is clear. If you want to receive funds from the federation account, then conduct an election. If what you have in place is a caretaker committee as local government chairman, be sure that it will not have money from the federation account. If you want money from the federation account, such councils must be democratically elected".

- Ozekhome-SAN
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Kobojunkie: 5:32am On Jul 14
alansary0064:
how comes Kano made up the list? because its currently running caretaker chairmen
Imagine the Federal now doing exactly what the State Governors were guilty of, wielding power not granted it by the Constitution. Na wa oo! undecided
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by sokera: 5:47am On Jul 14
Freeworldbutfre:
Also remember that Primary school teachers will not be paid salary, and other staff of the Local government.
It's going to be a show down between State Government they may what the people to suffer to blame the Federal government.
My problem with Tinubu is doing the right thing without consultation or looking at its consequences.
anyway it’s good that you said your own problem. Nigeria elite are so powerful that if you don’t do the right thing by force they will never let you do it… you are all shouting restructuring don’t you know restructuring has started already ?
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by zomoears(m): 5:49am On Jul 14
Freeworldbutfre:
Also remember that Primary school teachers will not be paid salary, and other staff of the Local government.
It's going to be a show down between State Government they may what the people to suffer to blame the Federal government.
My problem with Tinubu is doing the right thing without consultation or looking at its consequences.

It’s so much easier for you people to blame the president. What happened to the corrupt state governors that are closer to you

Governors refuse to conduct LG elections but na President be your problem.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by shereef19: 5:55am On Jul 14
Kobojunkie:
1. There is no truth to this claim because, since 1999, the Law has never required the LGs to report to the State Governors. So, where does this assumption of yours come from? undecided

The same applies as far as governors who embezzle but how come this has never happened before now? undecided

Critical thinking

But u r yet to give the

Evidence
Strength
And deduction
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Kobojunkie: 5:56am On Jul 14
shereef19:
∆ Critical thinking But u r yet to give the Evidence Strength And deduction
Huh? Evidence of what? undecided
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by gare(f): 6:00am On Jul 14
olisaEze:
Delta State just conducted their LG elections today. So what does that mean for your list?

They will receive once they are all sworn into office
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by DJInfluence: 6:04am On Jul 14
Why's the local government elections not under INEC purview?
Not like INEC is a saint but giving the circumstances, won't they conduct a less bad election than the state government?
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Sonfethopia: 6:10am On Jul 14
olisaEze:
Delta State just conducted their LG elections today. So what does that mean for your list?

I think what they did isn't for local government chairman but councilors. Lga own is coming.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by BluntCrazeMan: 6:18am On Jul 14
olisaEze:
If the elected leaders gets inaugurated before the upcoming LG allocations are concluded,, then their State would be included in the upcoming allocation.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by OkoYibo: 6:23am On Jul 14
Kobojunkie:
I don't cry at all because I have watched over the last 25 years how Nigerian people have supported the very system they claim is corrupt and foolishly run . grin

Exactly like this

Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Oshare57: 6:52am On Jul 14
press9jatv:
The following states will not receive FAAC allocations for their Local Governments by July ending.
- Cross River
- Enugu
- Kano
- Rivers
- Jigawa
- Anambra
- Imo
- Kwara
- Zamfara
- Bauchi
- Plateau
- Abia
- Katsina
- Kogi
- Sokoto
- Yobe
- Ondo
- Osun
- Delta
- Akwa-Ibom
- Benue.

https://www.nairaland.com/8151842/supreme-courts-judgment-means-no
Op, Delta ought not to be on that list. The state has conducted LG elections and even before the elections, caretaker committees were not set up to manage the affairs of the LG councils.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Bizibi(m): 7:02am On Jul 14
CrossRhodes:

You are assuming the LG chairmen will not embezzle like governors too?!
it will happen but the people are closer to them so there will be intense pressure to perform.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Munzy14(m): 7:05am On Jul 14
SE governors and wickedness...They buried local government administrations years ago.

The only government that have direct Acess to grassroots.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by manmade(m): 7:18am On Jul 14
Kobojunkie:
1. Oh WOW!! So, because it is not child's play, Nigerians shouldn't even attempt it at all? Who told you need to president's support to impeach a governor? Are you kidding me? Do you people even listen to yourselves? Why do you people think like this? undecided

This conversation is the reason why I remain convinced that the Nigerian people are not ready for change at all. They sit back and make excuses for illegalities perpetrated against them yet they dare to complain about the treatment they get from their government. It is like watching a bunch of confused elements rant on about how not much is to be expected of them even while insisting thy are important. Make up your minds abeg! Either do something to change your situation or forever hold your peace on these issues. undecided
BluntCrazeMan:
If the elected leaders gets inaugurated before the LG allocations are concluded,, then their State would be included in the allocation.
There are two things involved here , it's either you're pretending not to understand Nigerian political terrain or you are actually far from the reality, if you shout from now till next year on the need for people to vote for their conscience, many people will still come out to collect money and sell their votes , a lot of things are involved on why it's happening like that, that's a story for another day,now back to the topic, it's undisputable that you can't remove or impeached a sitting governor in Nigeria without the assistance of federal government, Ayo Fayose was successful impeached during his first tenure in ekiti state because he was disrespectful to OBJ , ngige was kidnapped as a sitting governor by his God father and forced to tender resignation letter until the public outcry made them to restate him , where were you when all this thing were happening? What was your contribution to stop it ? So that we would understand that you're not one of the " bunch of people sitting back"[b][/b], you may say , that was a long time ago, where were you and your the likes when governor SIM fubara of river state demolished the house of assembly complex and pursued the legislatures out to fore install the plan to impeach him? , You may also make an excuse that you're not from River State and it doesn't really concern you. Let's give you an assignment: it's a well known fact that none of the 109 senators is performing to expectations in their various constituency, so open a register to collect the signatures of the 50% voters registered in your constituency and initiates the process of recalling your senator from national assembly, put the advert online and other media. I want to check how patriotic you are . grin
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by Segxydube: 7:35am On Jul 14
CrossRhodes:

Ok so the corruption and embezzlement can continue so long as it's not only governor..

Oh dear Lord grin

If you can stop corruption in nigeria then start the campaign.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by PHAYOL81: 8:09am On Jul 14
Hmmmmm! Dem go rush go conduct election now.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by StJasper(m): 8:33am On Jul 14
MrEverest:

It has everything to do with politics. Firstly, the hasty way they went about it is because of Rivers State where Wike wants to remain in control. Secondly, the drug lord is looking for loopholes where he can have direct access to LGA’s and bypass governors that may not be in support of him.

Anytime these criminals implement any policy with unusual speed, just know it’s never for the benefit of the masses, but for their own benefit.

Are you sure your education is not a waste?
How can an enlightened fellow be reasoning in this manner?

Are you saying we should continue with the old order where the governors always treated the local governments as their personal business?

Are you saying an elected local government chairman should be in office based on the whims and caprice of the state governor?

Let all the affected states conduct local government elections.

We always complain about things not going well in this country but we hate it when the needed change is brought in.
Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by travelzcruix: 9:05am On Jul 14
We just like beating about the Bush here, doesn't the local government have an account again, of what use is the a Integrated payment technology. Credit these money directly to staffs, But the down turn to an approach like this is that most Nigerians, if not coerced with their salaries, most of them will not come to work.
Secondly, most governor's are in the habit of neglecting the LGA's and taking development to the state capital.
The LGA should be truly independent with chairmen working hard to get elected.
If the system of appointment continues, your guess is as good of mine, their boy will collect and go and share with their oga.
But the greed of a black man is on another level o, Upon all the security votes and allocation, it is not still enough for these governor's.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Following States Will Not Receive FAAC Allocations For Their LG By July Ending by WantsandMore: 9:35am On Jul 14
Kobojunkie:
Wrong! The joint account is not the problem and never has been. The problem has always been politicians/officials overstepping their bounds and doing that which they have no authority to do. They knew this— it is clearly indicated in the Constitution that they have no authority to take from the LG account, but they did it anyway. The Governors had no authority granted them by law to dip into the LG account to begin with. Governors were only tasked with maintaining the accounts— keeping them alive— and making deposits into the accounts regularly. The moment the governors took to dipping into the accounts, they violated the law. undecided

Shutting down the joint account is not the way to stop the criminal Governors from stealing from it or the pockets of the State either. Instead, you catch the thieves, impeach them, and prosecute them, making an example of him so others who come after them would know the law is not silent on such criminality. undecided
I guess we'll find out sooner or later. No?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Inside Alex Ekwueme's House As Uche Secondus‏ Pays Condolence Visit To Family / Igwe Chuma Angus Ojukwu's Campaign Poster For Anambra Governorship / Ministerial List: Joe Abah Reacts As He Didn’t Make Buhari’s List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.