Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,218 members, 7,963,988 topics. Date: Wednesday, 02 October 2024 at 03:20 AM

Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor (40030 Views)

Court Reaffirms Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor, Throws Out Obaseki’s Petition / Appeal Court Reinstates Adeleke As Osun Governor / Obaseki Nominates Shaibu As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 12:57pm On Jul 17
Zouzer:

Impeachment is a political matter anyway. A governor or his deputy can only impeached on allegation of gross misconduct.

Now, S188 (11) of the constitution actually gives the state house of assembly the discretion to determine what can amount to gross misconduct. The provision itself only gives a sketchy definition of gross misconduct.

"In this section - “gross misconduct” means a grave violation or breach of the provisions of this Constitution or a misconduct of such nature as amounts in the opinion in the House of Assembly to gross misconduct."

Ideally, anything can be deemed to be his offense as per this provision.

The ouster clause on the court's jurisdiction on impeachment matters extends to the nature of the the allegations. It's not the court's business to ascertain the merit of the allegations.

Even in the said Inakoju's case, one of the instances cited by the court that can amount to gross misconduct is changing of political parties.

So if defection, as politically contentious as it is, can amount to gross misconduct in the opinion of the house, why can't ordinary aspiration of a deputy governor to contest for the governorship under the same party be counted as same?

I feel this decision was given per incuriam and will be upturned on appeal.

Lol,gross misconduct must be a grievous offence and all the offences mentioned were petty offences...infact,there was no misconduct actually.removsl of an incumbent is a serious issue and courts do not easily remove them...
Have you noticed that in all similar matters of impeachment of incumbents,the courts usually rule in their favour?
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by Throwback: 12:57pm On Jul 17
jaxxy:

Coming from Same people who called Osibanjo judas?

What has Osinbajo being a Judas to his benefactor, and being democratically defeated by same benefactor, got to do with Shaibu being impeached in an abuse of power by a dictator Governor and his puppet State House of Assembly?

When did impeachment become a political tool used by a Governor to punish his deputy for pursuing his own political career that is within his, rights?

1 Like

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by GENTLETEE(m): 12:58pm On Jul 17
We all knew that Obaseki actions were politically motivated! Trying to be a demi God over someone's life!
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 12:58pm On Jul 17
fergie001:

We have seen it before. A judgement like this against Achuba, ex-Kogi Deputy Governor was not obeyed.

The Edo Govt will appeal the judgement and will not obey it.

It will later be obeyed via garnishee order...
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by kazma1010(m): 1:01pm On Jul 17
[That is what you guys say 4years ago when oshomole want to do it and now when obaseki do it and appoint person for u you guys did not say anything, well congrats to Phil shuaib let wait and c wat nest 9ija for u quote author=Unperturbedpota post=131002399]Osa noye agbon kevbe ehinmwin uwese kakabo.
We lead they follow. cool

Edo State is not Lagos because we are in a league of our own. We are true liberalists and antiballistic. [/quote]
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by Ezmans: 1:03pm On Jul 17
spiSeyi:
Obaseki wings has been clipped one thing I love about PBAT government is stylish dealing with the so-called democratic emperors (governors) from LG autonomy to this one and many more. Tinubu na dem mama husband
Anyways this movie go long 🍿 grin
Oko Iya wòn
the same pbat government that sack ndume as chief whip because he criticize the government

1 Like

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by jaxxy(m): 1:03pm On Jul 17
Throwback:

What has Osinbajo being a Judas to his benefactor, and being democratically defeated by same benefactor, got to do with Shaibu being impeached in an abuse of power by a dictator Governor and his puppet State House of Assembly.

When did impeachment become a political tool used by a Governor to punish his deputy for pursuing his own political career that is within his, rights?

did u or did u not call Vp Prof Osinbajo a judas for declaring for president?

Did u lot not slander the Vp for exercising his constitutional right? The only difference is u were not buhari who can impeach him but every other thing u did against him.

Same thing u lot did to ambode.
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by mastermaestro(m): 1:05pm On Jul 17
MelesZanawi:

You're a very foolish person
Justice Omotosho gave the same judgement reinstating Asue Ighodalo as Pdp candidate and also gave this, but you are calling this a Kangaroo judgement.

I don't know the dustbin where PDP use to gather these illiterates from.

Are you an illiterate? How does a court wake up to annul the outcome of a lawful legislative proceeding? Even though Obaseki did injustice to the guy, his removal duly followed constitutional procedure.

That you compared a mere party primary to the legal outcome of an elected parliament shows how dull you are. You should get better political education.

Nigerian judiciary is now a center of ignominy.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 1:05pm On Jul 17
senatordave1:

But will still get all his due entitlements while helping to destroy obaseki
After everything the people choice is ighodalo.Politicians and rigging don't work In Edo
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by mastermaestro(m): 1:07pm On Jul 17
This keeps splurging his resources flogging a long dead horse. He has been removed! That is not going to change ever!
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by Throwback: 1:10pm On Jul 17
Unperturbedpota:

It's amusing how you try to deflect by suggesting there’s turmoil in my heart when it’s clearly you who is desperately clinging to half-baked narratives. You paint yourself as a champion of justice while conveniently ignoring your own biases and selective outrage.

Your hollow assertions and misplaced confidence are laughable. You fail to see that your hypocrisy is as transparent as your weak attempts at moral grandstanding. Instead of addressing real issues, you resort to cheap tactics and baseless accusations.

Your so-called celebration of justice rings hollow when it’s clear you’re only interested in settling personal scores. If you had any genuine respect for the judiciary and democracy, you’d drop the hypocritical act and engage in meaningful dialogue.

Until you can rise above your petty vendettas and embrace a more balanced view, your words will remain as empty as your arguments. Your bias against Peter Obi and the support of the continuous detention of Kanu despite being grated bail are evident to your true biases. undecided

I have no love for a terrorist Kanu who is being legally held. Nor have I defended any other terrorists or groups.

I believe he should face his court case and face the judgement that emanates therefrom.

As for Peter Obi who is one of many politicians in Nigeria, I am not part of the bandwagon who want to cast all Nigerian politicians as sinners, while carefully trying to paint a saint out of a particular politician that was no different from any other politician who served as Governor.

So it is my right to condemn his failures as it is the right of others to condemn the failures of Atiku or Tinubu or Kwankwaso or Sowore.

You can hate me for that, it is very typical of those who are in the bandwagon of the manchurian candidate.

Again, I have never condemned any court judgement given at any federal court beyond the dictatorial powers and manipulations of State Governors.

I am not like some people who had eyes on the judiciary with a delusion that only the judgement that suits them is good for our democracy.

1 Like

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 1:11pm On Jul 17
HIGHESTPOPORI:
After everything the people choice is ighodalo.Politicians and rigging don't work In Edo

The people choice is okpebholo.cant you be objective and see that the spirit realm favours is against Asue
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 1:12pm On Jul 17
mastermaestro:
This keeps splurging his resources flogging a long dead horse. He has been removed! That is not going to change ever!

In the eyes of the law,he is still deputy and was never removed..he is actually weakening obaseki camp
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by Unperturbedpota: 1:13pm On Jul 17
Throwback:

I have no love for a terrorist Kanu who is being legally held. Nor have I defended any other terrorists or groups.

I believe he should face his court case and face the judgement that emanates therefrom.

As for Peter Obi who is one of many politicians in Nigeria, I am not part of the bandwagon who want to cast all Nigerian politicians as sinners, while carefully trying to paint a saint out of a particular politician that was no different from any other politician who served as Governor.

So it is my right to condemn his failures as it is the right of others to condemn the failures of Atiku or Tinubu or Kwankwaso or Sowore.

You can hate me for that, it is very typical of those who are in the bandwagon of the manchurian candidate.

Again, I have never condemned any court judgement given at any federal court beyond the dictatorial powers and manipulations of State Governors.

I am not like some people who had eyes on the judiciary with a delusion that only the judgement that suits them is good for our democracy.

It's clear you're entrenched in your own self-righteous narrative, trying to pass off your biases as objective opinions. Your transparent attempt to paint yourself as some impartial critic while making sweeping generalizations about others only highlights your shallow understanding of the issues.

Your disdain for Kanu and your indifference to the judicial process concerning him reveal your inability to see beyond your prejudices. Legal processes should be respected, and justice should be served impartially, regardless of personal feelings. Your selective outrage is glaringly obvious.

As for your commentary on Peter Obi and other politicians, your thinly veiled disdain for any critique of your preferred politicians while freely condemning others showcases your hypocrisy. Condemnation of failures should be based on facts and fairness, not on biased cherry-picking of who deserves scrutiny and who doesn’t.

Your claim of never condemning federal court judgments while lambasting state-level actions as "dictatorial" is a flimsy shield for your inconsistent stance on justice. It's laughable to see you try to maintain a facade of impartiality when your words reek of double standards.

If you want to be taken seriously in discussions about governance and justice, drop the hypocritical act. Engage in honest, fact-based critiques without the need for personal vendettas or selective outrage. Until then, your arguments will continue to be as transparent and unconvincing as your attempts to appear unbiased.
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 1:13pm On Jul 17
jaxxy:

Did u lot not slander the Vp for exercising his constitutional right? The only difference is u were not buhari who can impeach him but every other thing u did against him.

Did shuaibu contest against his boss
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 1:13pm On Jul 17
jaxxy:

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by Zouzer: 1:14pm On Jul 17
senatordave1:

Lol,gross misconduct must be a grievous offence and all the offences mentioned were petty offences...infact,there was no misconduct actually.removsl of an incumbent is a serious issue and courts do not easily remove them...
Have you noticed that in all similar matters of impeachment of incumbents,the courts usually rule in their favour?

Yes, it is a serious matter. Yet, the court's jurisdiction to entertain any matter on the impeachment proceedings is expressly ousted under section 188 (10).

The court will only entertain a matter on impeachment when there's a breach of due process.

1 Like

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by Throwback: 1:18pm On Jul 17
jaxxy:

Ambode lost the support of his political benefactor and Godfather, but was not prevented from contesting for the party ticket, which he lost woefully in a direct primary. Nothing undemocratic about that scenario.

I am happy you mentioned every other thing besides abusing powers just to settle political differences.

There is nothing absurd about political differences and attacks between opposing camps, what matters is the abuse of power and processes to achieve victory over the political opponent.

Again, I am happy you could not reference such abuse of power or process in the examples you have given.

A case of comparing apples to oranges.

1 Like

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 1:18pm On Jul 17
Zouzer:

Yes, it is a serious matter. Yet, the court's jurisdiction to entertain any matter on the impeachment proceedings is expressly ousted under section 188 (10).

The court will only entertain a matter on impeachment when there's a breach of due process.

In all other impeachment cases,the claimant always wins so this will be same
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by LegendHero(m): 1:20pm On Jul 17
Kukutenla:

Where did you see your bolded in the story? I have read through and the court judgement was based on process outlined in section 188. Read again pls.

P.S. No major outlet has carried the story yet so it's still under unverified

I saw it on GoldmyneTV. Major news outlet will soon update their report with the reason. They all just broke the news without giving details to be the first to break it.

https://x.com/goldmynetv/status/1813534571901890995?s=46

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by mastermaestro(m): 1:21pm On Jul 17
senatordave1:

In the eyes of the law,he is still deputy and was never removed..he is actually weakening obaseki camp

Which law? Obaseki exhausted all constitutional processes required to effect his removal. You think Obaseki is your typical disorganized administrator? Dude ensures he dots all i's and crosses all t's when dealing with his opponent. Ask Oshiomhole and his boys. I am not his fan, but I acknowledge and applaud his meticulousness.

1 Like

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by LegendHero(m): 1:24pm On Jul 17
Kukutenla:

Where did you see your bolded in the story? I have read through and the court judgement was based on process outlined in section 188. Read again pls.

P.S. No major outlet has carried the story yet so it's still under unverified

Now Punchnews have updated their report.

https://punchng.com/breaking-court-reinstates-shaibu-as-edo-deputy-governor/?amp

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by JuanDeDios: 1:26pm On Jul 17
senatordave1:
Congrats to comrade Phillip shuaibu.i saw it coming though I am surprised at the alacrity of the judgment which is good for our judiciary.Obaseki will be humiliated alongside his stingy stooge Asue.the powers that be are out for him...Ofoneee

Asue is stingy?
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by Throwback: 1:28pm On Jul 17
Unperturbedpota:

It's clear you're entrenched in your own self-righteous narrative, trying to pass off your biases as objective opinions. Your transparent attempt to paint yourself as some impartial critic while making sweeping generalizations about others only highlights your shallow understanding of the issues.

Your disdain for Kanu and your indifference to the judicial process concerning him reveal your inability to see beyond your prejudices. Legal processes should be respected, and justice should be served impartially, regardless of personal feelings. Your selective outrage is glaringly obvious.

As for your commentary on Peter Obi and other politicians, your thinly veiled disdain for any critique of your preferred politicians while freely condemning others showcases your hypocrisy. Condemnation of failures should be based on facts and fairness, not on biased cherry-picking of who deserves scrutiny and who doesn’t.

Your claim of never condemning federal court judgments while lambasting state-level actions as "dictatorial" is a flimsy shield for your inconsistent stance on justice. It's laughable to see you try to maintain a facade of impartiality when your words reek of double standards.

If you want to be taken seriously in discussions about governance and justice, drop the hypocritical act. Engage in honest, fact-based critiques without the need for personal vendettas or selective outrage. Until then, your arguments will continue to be as transparent and unconvincing as your attempts to appear unbiased.

I see what your problem is that is causing your agony.

You love Kanu the riff-raff terrorists who wanted to usurp the constitutional and legitimate leadership that the people of the SouthEast region already have, and considered himself their government who must dictate to them and also dictate to the federal government who must therefore acknowledge him and call him to the table to discuss matters that affect the SouthEast.

The ego of the riff-raff has been deflated and the madness he suffers will soon be exorcised from his being.

Secondly, you are part of the Obidient bandwagon who insist Obi is saint and must be forced down the throat of everyone. You retain your right to criticise other politicians but become terribly upset to the point of insanity, that a mere mortal dare to criticise saint Obi of the beggy-beggy Yes Daddy religious warfare infamy?

You do not dictate what is right or wrong.

Keep all eyes on the judiciary and be accepting of their judicial outcomes which must not always align with your prejudices and delusions.

1 Like

Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by jaxxy(m): 1:28pm On Jul 17
Throwback:

Ambode lost the support of his political benefactor and Godfather, but was not prevented from contesting for the party ticket, which he lost woefully in a direct primary. Nothing undemocratic about that scenario.

I am happy you mentioned every other thing besides abusing powers just to settle political differences.

There is nothing absurd about political differences and attacks between opposing camps, what matters is the abuse of power and processes to achieve victory over the political opponent.

Again, I am happy you could not reference such abuse of power or process in the examples you have given.

A case of comparing apples to oranges.

Shiabu contested and lost. what are u talking about?
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by jaxxy(m): 1:29pm On Jul 17
senatordave1:

Yes against the bosses choice.

Osibanjo did contest against buhari either.
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 1:29pm On Jul 17
senatordave1:

The people choice is okpebholo.cant you be objective and see that the spirit realm favours is against Asue
Like Andy uba
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by jamafa: 1:30pm On Jul 17
premierlead:
Why is Tinubu interested in causing chaos, mayhem and issues in every state of the country ahead of 2027 election?

Watin concern Tinubu with dx??
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by gare(f): 1:31pm On Jul 17
BleedingPen:
•orders IGP to immediately restore his security

https://metrowatchxtra.com/2024/07/17/breaking-court-reinstates-philip-shaibu-as-edo-deputy-governor-metrowatch/

Omotosho with useless judgement is like bread and butter, stay of execution would be applied for and status quo would remain while they appeal the judgement, by the time this case gets supreme Court his tenure would have elapsed.
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 1:32pm On Jul 17
mastermaestro:

Which law? Obaseki exhausted all constitutional processes required to effect his removal. You think Obaseki is your typical disorganized administrator? Dude ensures he dots all i's and crosses all t's when dealing with his opponent. Ask Oshiomhole and his boys. I am not his fan, but I acknowledge and applaud his meticulousness.

Why do you think that all impeachment proceedings always ends up quashed? He dotted nothing as impeachment is serious business.starting from the offences,they were laughable and doesn't even constitute misconduct talk less of gross.he was denied fair hearing,the mandatory days was not adhered to etc.
Same obaseki was humiliated in last year polls and his party is collapsing in his very sight
Re: Court Reinstates Philip Shaibu As Edo Deputy Governor by senatordave1(m): 1:32pm On Jul 17
HIGHESTPOPORI:
Like Andy uba

Like uzodinma

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

‘Is Buhari Dead?’ Becomes Most Searched Phrase In Nigerian Internet Space / Muhammad Ali And Ben Murray-Bruce 1984 Throwback Photo / Is El-Rufai And Atiku Bagudu Sending A Cryptic Message By Endorsing Tinubu?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.