Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,747 members, 7,948,741 topics. Date: Saturday, 14 September 2024 at 09:32 AM

Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif (32267 Views)

Algerian Boxer Imane Khelif Is Not Trans. / Italian Boxer, Angela Carini, Quits After Being Paired With 'Biological Male' / Biography Of Imane Khelif: Parent, Husband, Kids And More (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by OnionBandit(f): 5:30am On Aug 03
Italian boxer Angela Carini, who abandoned her Olympic bout against Algeria's Imane Khelif inside 46 seconds, says she "wants to apologise" to her opponent for how she handled the moments after the fight.

Khelif is one of two athletes who have been cleared to compete in the women's boxing in Paris, despite having been disqualified from last year's Women's World Championships for failing to meet eligibility criteria.

The 25-year-old's participation in the Games has proved controversial, leading the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to defend her right to compete.

"All this controversy makes me sad," Carini told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport.

"I'm sorry for my opponent, too. If the IOC said she can fight, I respect that decision."

Carini, also 25, said abandoning the fight had been a mature step to take, but she expressed regret at not shaking hands with Khelif afterwards.

"It wasn't something I intended to do," Carini said. "Actually, I want to apologise to her and everyone else. I was angry because my Olympics had gone up in smoke."

She added that if she met Khelif again, she would "embrace her".

After taking a punch to the face inside 30 seconds during Thursday's fight, Carini went to the corner for her coach to fix her headgear. After briefly resuming, she returned to her corner once more and stopped the fight.

Carini later told BBC Sport: "It could have been the match of a lifetime, but I had to preserve my life as well in that moment."

The Russia-led International Boxing Association (IBA), which carried out the tests last year, said Khelif "failed to meet the eligibility criteria for participating in the women's competition, as set and laid out in the IBA regulations".

Khelif has always competed in the women's division and is recognised by the IOC as a female athlete.

"The Algerian boxer was born female, was registered female, lived her life as a female, boxed as a female, has a female passport," IOC spokesperson Mark Adams said on Friday.

Later on Friday, the IBA president Umar Kremlev said his organisation would offer Carini $100,000 (£78,000) - which is the prize money it is offering gold medallists at the Games. That money would be split with half going to the boxer, a quarter to her trainer and a quarter to her federation.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/articles/c2j3jg51rg4o?xtor=AL-72-%5Bpartner%5D-%5Bbbc.news.twitter%5D-%5Bheadline%5D-%5Bnews%5D-%5Bbizdev%5D-%5Bisapi%5D&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_type=web_link&at_format=link&at_link_origin=BBCWorld&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_medium=social&at_link_id=14F2574C-50DC-11EF-8E73-BC6D690651B6&at_campaign_type=owned&at_ptr_name=twitter&s=09

5 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by OnionBandit(f): 5:36am On Aug 03
Imagine the damage done already..A sore loser like Carini who couldn't take a punch from a fellow woman and resorted to cheap propaganda is now apologising. Apologise for what? The same person she accused of being biological male has lost around 9 games in the past.

156 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Namaster: 5:44am On Aug 03
WTF?!

One punch to the face and this bitch RAN away and started whining to every news media. Just ONE punch?

What a WEAK loser!

What did she think she was in for? Beauty pageants?

Very stupid girl!

152 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Denalarian: 6:03am On Aug 03
It's was her facial reaction for me after receiving massive punches. She looked like she misplaced her intestines 😅😅

131 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by chiiraq802(m): 8:14am On Aug 03
Mk both Carini and Khelif getat!!!!

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by princepeter566: 8:27am On Aug 03
There's something I don't understand,why Nigeria is 63 but Nigeria president is 95 years old

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by DevilsEqual(m): 10:04am On Aug 03
She couldn't last beyond 46secs vs a fellow female fighter and ran away

My worry tho is that, she kept hammering on how she "ran away to protect her life"... Meaning she was scared she'd lose her life if she continued

67 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Meteng: 1:53pm On Aug 03
OnionBandit:
Imagine the damage done already..A sore loser like Carini who couldn't take a punch from a fellow woman and resorted to cheap propaganda is now apologising. Apologise for what? The same person she accused of being biological male has lost around 9 games in the past.

Omo, she almost wan deaf from the Algerian blow. She come get sense, advice herself correctly grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Elidrisy20: 2:28pm On Aug 03
Na man beat you

40 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Proserpina: 2:37pm On Aug 03
Apology unaccepted undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by DeltaBachelor(m): 2:37pm On Aug 03
The same way you will apologise if you don't take advantage of our IELTS package.....search for a better life for you and your family

Contact us through our siggy below .....Cheers !!!!

1 Like

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by BigDawsNet: 2:38pm On Aug 03
She lost 6 career fight so far… so I believe it was a couple of women that beat her so no complain… her next opponent should trained weller

6 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by GreenxGreen: 2:39pm On Aug 03
angry
Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Watsgonhappen: 2:39pm On Aug 03
Lmao 🤣 🤣

2 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Anijay1212(m): 2:41pm On Aug 03
grin grin grin
She took a wise decision.It is better to be a living coward than a dead brave.
Apologies accepted.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Hotspurs: 2:42pm On Aug 03
grin grin grin
princepeter566:
There's something I don't understand,why Nigeria is 63 but Nigeria president is 95 years old

2 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Gadafii: 2:42pm On Aug 03
It's sad they had to dig out her childhood pictures to prove her innocence

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Nwaokunkpara: 2:42pm On Aug 03
LOSERS Always complain

Like APC starting from Buhari to tinubu

4 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by dalongjnr: 2:43pm On Aug 03
Lol grin grin angry angry angry grin grin
Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Hotspurs: 2:44pm On Aug 03
im confused tho..but the algerian opponent looks female
Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by femi4: 2:44pm On Aug 03
OnionBandit:

She took the shine away from the poor Algerian. Very selfish being, they always look for a way to water down the wins especially when it is coming from Africa.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by haybhi1(m): 2:45pm On Aug 03
I'm glad this is playing out. People like to feed on false alarms. Emotions drive people too much. They'll see news and start running their mouths without making deep research. Now, someone is falsely labelled by someone got her ass whooped.

7 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by BadMaster: 2:45pm On Aug 03
Khelif has a record of 37-9, which means she has lost 9 bouts in her career. Yet, Carini would have us believe that she is a man, and can't be beaten by a woman.

20 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by saddler: 2:46pm On Aug 03
undecided

Na now the blow/punch clear for her eyes grin

9 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by completeskills(m): 2:47pm On Aug 03
Why are they offering carini the same prize money as the medalists? It doesn't make sense. Infact why are they offering her money at all?

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by Omoawoke: 2:47pm On Aug 03
Foolish Italian victim crying lazy ass

saddler:
undecided

Na now the blow/punch clear for her eyes grin

😂

Punch na your mate

6 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by dominique(f): 2:47pm On Aug 03
Apology gbu ogi there! If Imane does not sue her she Bleep-up

9 Likes

Re: Italian Boxer, Carini Apologises To Khelif by nairalee(m): 2:48pm On Aug 03
Hh

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nairalander Visits Ahmed Musa Neighbourhood Sports Center In Kaduna (Video) / Cristiano Ronaldo Wins Golden Foot Award 2020 / List Of Premier League Stars At 2019 Africa Cup Of Nations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.