Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,501 members, 7,929,633 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 06:21 PM

You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer (20941 Views)

Lady Moves Out Of Husband’s House 6 Months After Marriage, Uses Truck To Pack / Hauwa, Adam Nuru's Wife Packs Out Of Husband's House, May Seek Divorce / Olubunmi Kama: My Husband’s Siblings Seized Our Properties After His Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by SmartPolician: 7:00am
Activist lawyer, Madubuachi Idam, on Thursday said Nigerian laws frown at a woman getting 50 percent of her husband’s properties during divorce.

Idam warned that women who push their husbands into court marriage with the intent of sharing his properties during divorce should know that such is alien to the Nigerian law.

In a chat with DAILY POST, the lawyer noted that the spouse would be made to provide evidence of contributing towards the acquisition of such a property.

According to Idam: “The law that awards 50% or any percentage of a man’s property to his wife during divorce is strange to the Nigerian soil.

“Women who push their man to have them married statutorily (court marriage) with an intention to share in their property during divorce should be informed that such law is alien to Nigeria.

“Statutory marriage (court marriage), does not aid a Nigerian woman to reap where she did not or has not sown, if it were so, divorce would have been the most lucrative thing after oil business for some GenZ’s who are not willing to be married but desperate to escape poverty.”

He, however, noted that in the event of death, the spouse is entitled to properties of the deceased.

Idam added: “Except in the event of death where a surviving spouse is entitled to the properties of his or her deceased spouse acquired during the pendency of their ‘Statutory or Court Marriage’. Similar right is not available to the spouse during divorce.

“To be entitled to any portion of your spouse’s property during divorce, you must prove your contribution to the acquisition of such property in a concrete and substantial manner.

“Laws are territorial, what is obtainable in the UK is not automatically applicable in Nigeria except it’s legislated as a law in Nigeria.

“If one of your reasons for pushing your spouse to have you married statutorily is to enable you enjoy a certain percent of his wealth when you or he seeks divorce, you may need to rethink.”
Source: https://dailypost.ng/2024/08/22/you-cant-get-50-of-husbands-properties-after-divorce-under-nigerian-laws-lawyer-tells-women/

86 Likes 7 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by SmartPolician: 7:01am
I don't want to believe that ladies' obsession with court marriages is to get 50% of their husbands' assets. This is the same thing that destroyed marriage institutions in the west. And Nigerian ladies with yahoo mindsets have been its biggest beneficiaries in the west.

121 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by victory36(m): 7:03am
That law would never work in a country like Nigeria

129 Likes 6 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by AntiChristian: 7:29am
When no be UK/USA - Europe!

They don suffer women in the past so now na women dey suffer them in return!

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by masterfactor(m): 7:29am
This lawyer is not serious, na HAKIMI method I go apply.

19 Likes 6 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Tjra: 7:29am
Nigerian men are endangered species.

Anything to protect them is highly welcomed.

171 Likes 14 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by kennyz247(m): 7:30am
Dem be want take more than 50 % before for wheytn den no work for

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by real691(m): 7:30am
I will take this more seriously if it's came from a female lawyer.

Everybody naturally supports what favours them, if they were in the shoes.

Only a person of truth and high level integrity will stand for what is right no matter it's favourableness.

Conclusion: it would have more impact if comment was from a female lawyer.

Modified: Someone onced said "WOMAN is Woe Onto MAN"

NairaMaster1:

Sarcastic.
grin

igatit:
A law is a law, it's enforcement or awareness is not determined by gender.
Right

Eagleways:
you wouldn't hear if from a female lawyer because it doesn't favor her
You get the point!

SmartyPants:

There are a number of judgments that flow opposite to what this one is talking about so I don't know which law he is referencing. In the South at least, the likely position is a 50% split of properties and wealth acquired in the life of the marriage.
Exactly!

FuckSilly:

What's this one saying?
Someone is quoting the law and this one is saying nonsense.
What has the law got to do with gender?
iamjavadem:
This has to be the dumbest comment I have ever read. Won't be surprised if this is a female.
ianjavadem, you just displayed a low IQ. Who are you to judge and declare the dumbness of a post!

Stop your attacks on my comment. I know what I said!
Can men be objective for once!
I neither support nor oppose the lawyer.....

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Seyi8750: 7:30am
H
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by tuoyoojo(m): 7:30am
Maybe that is why some women may stay in a loveless relationship as long as the money cones

However, what happens when the man or woman dies, who is entitled to what...over yo the lawyers in the house

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Jestin: 7:30am
You shall reap whatever you sow but the truth remain most Nigerian girls have nothing to sow

56 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Sheuns(m): 7:31am
grin

Una Dey hear so? You must prove that you contributed substantially. Prayers and motivations no be proof for court o.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by ecolime(m): 7:31am
The percentage you get should depend on how long you've stayed in the marriage.

1 year= 1%
10 years= 10%
20 years = 20%

Involuntary full time housewives should get more as it will be difficult for them to start again from the scratch.

61 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by ntyce(m): 7:31am
Lol
Shey na her Papa give me money or am I a beneficiary of her dad's will?

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Tophesz: 7:31am
Opportunist

6 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by yinchar(m): 7:32am
That’s why we have low divorce rate

Once the court start granting the 50% of husband proprieties on divorce to the wives…see as how every one starts filing for divorce

61 Likes 6 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by solochris(m): 7:32am
They will not like this very news

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by ItisWell22(f): 7:34am
Why the particular mention of GenZ?

Gold diggers abound in every generation.

8 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by eliwa47(m): 7:34am
Barrister pls tell those gender who wanted to rip where they didn't sow.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Sheuns(m): 7:35am
yinchar:
That’s why we have low divorce rate

Once the court start granting the 50% of husband proprieties on divorce to the wives…see as how every one starts filing for divorce

You think our lawmakers will make such law? Dey play. That law cannot work in Nigeria. At least for now.

21 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by LoveJesus87(m): 7:35am
masterfactor:
....or HAKIMI LAW cheesy grin

10 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by LoveJesus87(m): 7:36am
grin
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by God1blessBiafra: 7:36am
ecolime:
20% is okay.
That's not okay.

100% should be okay.

4 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Passionate888: 7:36am
sad
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by chrisifeanyi: 7:36am
masterfactor:

Readwell before commenting.
Btw wetin you get dey wan share?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by dettolgel: 7:37am
As a husband if I will all my properties to charity, upon demise I hope the court will follow through and not pass it along to my spouse or children?

14 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by id4sho(m): 7:37am
Women and greed, see how our resident feminist avoided this thread. Why not wife properties cool

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by KIDfurniture(m): 7:38am
I have always advised men to build alone . Never build ur home with ur wife! It is risky . Very risky. I witnessed a 60 year old wife and 67 year old husband fight bitterly cos the man had a son outside. The wife knowing fully well she contributed to the property they live in which happens to be only house. Asked court to sell off the property and give her more than half of the proceeds. She provided strong evidence and that house was sold. Old man is now a tenant, old woman moved in with her son after brainwashing all her kids to hate father

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by addexx: 7:38am
Good news for men grin

Now I can do my court wedding in peace.

But again if death is the only way to claim your properties and everyday you eat your wife's food, wahala still dey o . cry cry cry

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by gabazin080(m): 7:39am
Louder

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Unbelievable - My Mother Asked My Woman To Leave / See What I Experienced At A Kiosk Just Now.. / Feminists Agree They Won’t Change Their Surname To Their Husband's Name

Viewing this topic: cococandy(f), Ayinke93(f), okeyley, real28, Scarybat555(m), Feleezy(m), Teebabz01(m), Drxxzy, Rillycool(m), Wisdommyth, FuckYeyeMods and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 2
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.