Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,528 members, 7,929,714 topics. Date: Friday, 23 August 2024 at 08:29 PM

You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer (21761 Views)

Lady Moves Out Of Husband’s House 6 Months After Marriage, Uses Truck To Pack / Hauwa, Adam Nuru's Wife Packs Out Of Husband's House, May Seek Divorce / Olubunmi Kama: My Husband’s Siblings Seized Our Properties After His Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Tightpussy2024(f): 8:12am
ItisWell22:
Why the particular mention of GenZ?

Gold diggers abound in every generation.
His motive for the post was not to represent the law but was male centered. I didn't see references to the constitution. No professionalism. He must have replied to a post of a woman saying the moment her husband cheats,she will leave. Could be a silent redpiller.
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Calylove: 8:14am
This is a great revelation and information.
Good to check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klfYRCfYOBE
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Awesome01(m): 8:14am
May God help us men o.

This lawyer is Indirectly telling women that it is more profitable for them to kill their husbands and inherit everything than to divorce and struggle to get 50%.

How I wish the law is fair. Will the same be said if the tables are turned? Will the husband have right to the properties of the wife? Especially her inheritance from her parents.

3 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by NothingDoMe: 8:15am
real691:
I will take this more seriously if it's came from a female lawyer.

Everybody naturally supports what favours them, if they were in the shoes.

Only a person of truth and high level integrity will stand for what is right no matter it's favourableness.

Conclusion: it would have more impact if comment was from a female lawyer.

Modified: Someone onced said "WOMAN is Woe Onto MAN"
He is right. The women who went to court to drag property were asked by the court to show their contributions to the acquisition of said property.

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by BreconHills(m): 8:15am
SmartyPants:

Which law is that in Nigeria?

It is not a law but a rule of interpretation. Any document must be interpreted based on reasonability . A court can question whether a man's duty to his family to provide and care gor his family can be negated by a document when there was no history of animosity.

There was a case in the lagos high court a few years ago when a man willed all his assets to Guru Maharaji. The will was overturned on the ground that the sect had undue influence on him and that his neglect of his family was unreasonable based on his life up till the moment of death.

Morale. If you want to give everything to charity and neglect your family then do it while you are alive.

6 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Tightpussy2024(f): 8:16am
addexx:
Good news for men grin

Now I can do my court wedding in peace.

But again if death is the only way to claim your properties and everyday you eat your wife's food, wahala still dey o . cry cry cry
Let them be deceiving themselves. Since society loves and favours widows,alot of men have died under questionable circumstances. If hunters have learnt to shoot without missing,birds should fly without perching. When you push someone to the wall and provide no room for escape,be surprised at what the person will do .

All those obituaries of ," died after a brief illness" that people blamed on his "drinking habit", "previous diabetes" and "BP issues" . We know what's up.

4 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by iamjavadem(m): 8:16am
This has to be the dumbest comment I have ever read. Won't be surprised if this is a female.
real691:

Only a person of truth and high level integrity will stand for what is right no matter it's favourableness.

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by OlawaleBammie: 8:17am
tuoyoojo:
Maybe that is why some women may stay in a loveless relationship as long as the money cones

However, what happens when the man or woman dies, who is entitled to what...over yo the lawyers in the house
Evidence that u did not read the labare
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by seanwilliam(m): 8:18am
yinchar:
That’s why we have low divorce rate

Once the court start granting the 50% of husband proprieties on divorce to the wives…see as how every one starts filing for divorce
and more people won’t bother to get married again.

Especially someone like me, imagine hustling day and night only to come and share it with a woman Dey divorce me. Lai lai .

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Ojemedad: 8:18am
addexx:
Good news for men grin

Now I can do my court wedding in peace.

But again if death is the only way to claim your properties and everyday you eat your wife's food, wahala still dey o . cry cry cry

Avoid court marriage

3 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by NairaMaster1(m): 8:21am
real691:

Sarcastic.
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by FuckSilly: 8:23am
Tightpussy2024:
So a naija woman will divorce just for 50% property? The man doesn't know what he is saying.
In my opinion, women in naija don't benefit from marriage. If it ends,you are at the mercy of a man to even see food money for the children. If he doesn't send money, you will be accused of causing it because you poisoned your children mind against him".If the man earns 20m in a month. He will calculate the exact money needed,or send like 100k per month for the kid upkeep,if you resist(based on his earning power) you will be accused of being a gold digger trying to milk him.

You claim women value reduce once they are married and given birth,and no one will be able to marry them afterwards,while you can easily move on and land a chick.yet the idea of paying for a woman whose life is truncated and sexual market value plummeted as a result of her union with with you,is called trying to milk you.

One day,just like Korean women,naija women will say no to marriage until a system that protects them is installed
True
But nobody force anyone to enter marriage na.
You all know the effect marriage will have on you and everyone must grow old married or not.

A lot of women are smarter now, they work and make their money too. Na numu woman go solely depend on a man

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by igatit: 8:23am
A law is a law, it's enforcement or awareness is not determined by gender.
real691:

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Babangidapikin: 8:24am
I hope the same applies for the Wife too ..Husband too can't get 50% too because they divorce their wife ... Make e no be like say women no dey make money .

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by igatit: 8:24am
igatit:
A law is a law, it's enforcement or awareness is not determined by gender.
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Britishpea: 8:24am
victory36:
That law would never work in a country like Nigeria
It’s the law will never work. Nothing like the law would never work mr. Man with bad English
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by victory36(m): 8:27am
Britishpea:

It’s the law will never work. Nothing like the law would never work mr. Man with bad English
the article'the' is not appropriate in my sentence oga lecturer 🙄

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by AntiChristian: 8:27am
Eagleways:
madam, did you read the passage?

I no be Madam.

I read it.

And what i wrote meant Nigeria no be be UK,....Europe!
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Tightpussy2024(f): 8:33am
FuckSilly:

True
But nobody force anyone to enter marriage na.
You all know the effect marriage will have on you and everyone must grow old married or not.

A lot of women are smarter now, they work and make their money too. Na numu woman go solely depend on a man
Coming from the gender that will not miss a chance to sham unmarried women ,single mothers or a career women.
Or complain of population decline (in the west),or complain of family unit being destroyed .lol.

Gerrard59 will call anyone that wants to have children without being married irresponsible and indecent. Knowing fully well people will want to procraat but hate the burden of marriage

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Judolisco(m): 8:34am
victory36:
That law would never work in a country like Nigeria
in d countries where it works, u have to sign it during marriage, it's a clause... And it's 50% of what two of you make during dat marriage...
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Tightpussy2024(f): 8:38am
dettolgel:
As a husband if I will all my properties to charity, upon demise I hope the court will follow through and not pass it along to my spouse or children?
Shebi statistics revealed that about 99% of Nigerians earn below 500k monthly. Naija is not Lagos or Abuja alone. So it's only 1% of men people will love to drag house with. Hahaha

3 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Thazard(m): 8:39am
ecolime:
The percentage you get should depend on how long you've stayed in the marriage.

1 year= 1%
10 years= 10%
20 years = 20%

Involuntary full time housewives should get more as it will be difficult for them to start again from the scratch.

How about

1 - 9 years =1%

10 - 19 years = 10%

20 - 29 years = 20%

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Bobloco: 8:40am
Sheuns:
grin

Una Dey hear so? You must prove that you contributed substantially. Prayers and motivations no be proof for court o.

And also I was with him through the years no be proof for court o!
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Britishpea: 8:41am
victory36:
the article'the' is not appropriate in my sentence oga lecturer 🙄

You be nonentity. You don’t even know when to use “would or will’ how’s “would” as a past tense useful in a present and future tense? Man with low self esteem defending incompetence. It is always “the law will never work” in a certain place nothing like it would never work. Go back to primary 6 man! And learn the usage of tenses.

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Tightpussy2024(f): 8:41am
dettolgel:
As a husband if I will all my properties to charity, upon demise I hope the court will follow through and not pass it along to my spouse or children?
instead of scheming on your revenge fantasies why not build first? It's not with your bathroom slippers,bathroom broom,iron bucket,mattress on the floor and I pass my neighbour generator you should be scheming revenge
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Tightpussy2024(f): 8:43am
DrFunmisticGlow:
But the man bleeped up so he deserves it.
Funmisticqueen,missed you! Where have you been?
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by IdeasYapayaski: 8:44am
SmartPolician:

Source: https://dailypost.ng/2024/08/22/you-cant-get-50-of-husbands-properties-after-divorce-under-nigerian-laws-lawyer-tells-women/

With which mouth or guts the woman wan use ask me for 50% of all I have worked for? I go para for am like mad man. She go evaporate. Nor be only 50%🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by ZTsambad: 8:45am
tuoyoojo:
Maybe that is why some women may stay in a loveless relationship as long as the money cones

However, what happens when the man or woman dies, who is entitled to what...over yo the lawyers in the house
let them go and inherit their fathers properties since they want to be in a loveless relationship

2 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by Omoejigbahe(m): 8:47am
What if the wife is richer
Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by ZTsambad: 8:48am
IdeasYapayaski:

With which mouth or guts do the woman wan use ask me for 50% of all I have worked for? I go para for am like mad man. She go evaporate. Nor be only 50%🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄
aswear to God whose authority will they use for me to give 50%? no government, law or constitution go try that rubbish with me did I send them to create laws🤨🤨😤

5 Likes

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by maxiuc(m): 8:48am
ItisWell22:
Why the particular mention of GenZ?

Gold diggers abound in every generation.
this one touch you personally

grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: You Can’t Get 50% Of Husband’s Properties After A Divorce in Nigeria - Lawyer by ZTsambad: 8:49am
Omoejigbahe:
What if the wife is richer
I don't need her money let her go with all her own

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Funny Things That Children Say / Broken Eye Socket And Knocked Teeth – Lady Shares Her Story Of Domestic Violence / Bullying Make African Kids Stronger But Kills The American Kids: Why

Viewing this topic: econome(m), heybeebugatty(m), donwily(m), Alcatel17, elfico(m) and 23 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.