Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,197,115 members, 7,963,629 topics. Date: Tuesday, 01 October 2024 at 03:17 PM

Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister (12007 Views)

Do You Enjoy 20 Hours Of Light In Your Area? / Sale Mamman: Nigerians Now Enjoy 18 To 24 Hours Of Electricity Daily / Magodo Residents Now Enjoy Stable Electricity After Signing An Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Islie: 3:39am On Sep 30
He explained that certain revolutionary measures were taken to ensure that Nigerians enjoy a more stable and regular electricity supply.

Over 40 per cent of Nigerian electricity consumers are currently enjoying over 20 hours of regular electricity supply across the nation, Nigeria’s Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, has said.

Mr Adelabu disclosed this on Sunday in a statement reviewing the activities of the power ministry in the last year.

He explained that certain revolutionary measures were taken to ensure that Nigerians enjoy a more stable and regular electricity supply.

“Moreover, the major achievement is the fact that today we generate over 5,500 megawatts of power, we transmit and distribute it, and over 40 per cent of customers today enjoy over 20 hours of regular power supply across the nation. You can see that there is a significant improvement between when we came in and now, which we intend to improve further,”
Mr Adelabu said.

He said all these were achieved with the support of President Bola Tinubu as part of his renewed hope agenda to galvanise the economy.

He noted that the president has consistently said that Nigeria can be great and achieve breakthroughs in industrialisation through a stable and consistent power supply.

Mr Adelabu emphasised the need for Nigerians to realise that stable electricity in any economy cannot be overemphasised.

“This is why you see great economies like Korea, China, Europe, and North America industrialised today. Their stability in electricity supply has been instrumental to their economic growth and industrial development. That’s why we say that we must achieve this for Nigeria as a country. We need to achieve the requisite economic growth and industrial development. Our dear president, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, included this in the Renewed Hope Agenda as a major electoral policy for Nigerians.

“In his New Year speech on the 1st of January, 2024, he emphasised the need for the country to have stable, functional, and reliable electricity to drive other critical sectors. This is the only way we can achieve the required economic growth and industrial development. None of the critical sectors can function optimally without electricity stability and functionality.

“Therefore, our vision is to ensure that we provide households, businesses, and institutions (educational and health institutions as well as industries with stable electricity supply. This will enable them to power their activities, improve their capacity, and create more jobs,” he said.

According to him, in a country like South Korea, industrial giants like Samsung, Hyundai, and LG didn’t just become global giants overnight.

“They were supported by the government through the provision of stable and reliable electricity for their operations. This is the vision we have for Nigeria. At the end of the day, a large proportion of our population will be electrified, industries will enjoy stable electricity, and this will increase production and create employment for our people,” he added.

The Minister noted that the mandate of the ministry is to engender national development through the formulation of appropriate policies and the establishment of proper structures and institutions to ensure or achieve stable, functional, reliable, and affordable electricity supply to households, businesses, institutions, and industries.

“This will enable us to achieve the desired economic growth and industrial development. We also provide general oversight to ensure the overall well-being of the Nigeria Electricity Supply Industry (NESI). This is the mandate of the Ministry. However, we are not doing this alone. We work in conjunction with our agencies.

“Apart from the agencies under the Ministry of Power, we also operate through 27 power generating companies, including hydroelectric power companies and thermal companies (which are gas-powered generating companies). We also have 11 Electricity Distribution Companies across the country that operate.

“We also work in conjunction with some international development agencies like the World Bank, the African Development Bank, GIZ, USAID, and so on. These are multilateral institutions that support the Ministry of Power,” Mr Adelabu said.

Data

He said upon assuming office, the country had an installed generation capacity of 13,000 megawatts, but it was only producing, transmitting, and distributing about 4,000 megawatts of power to the entire country.

This, he said, was quite low and unacceptable given the population and level of economic activities.

“Therefore, we were determined to improve the situation. At that time, there was epileptic supply. Almost all customers, both residential and commercial, could not be guaranteed 12-15 hours of supply,” he said.

Additionally, he said the adoption of renewable energy was skeletal in terms of solar or wind sources of energy.

Between then and now, which is about a year, there has been significant improvement. Today, our installed capacity is over 14,000 megawatts of power due to the addition of the newly commissioned Zungeru hydroelectric power plant and improved capacity of some of the existing power plants,” he added.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/740101-over-40-of-nigerians-now-enjoy-20-hours-regular-electricity-supply-minister.html

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by JASONjnr(m): 3:48am On Sep 30
These government is confused with it's propaganda.

Tinubu wants to force his imaginary achievements on the people, irrespective of the suffering.

Tariff is extremely high over the increased tax. Ordinary Nigerians can't afford it..... How are they enjoying the light?

Estimated bill is on a very high side.... Prepaid meter is now very expensive to acquire.

The 40% is made up of the rich class and a tiny fraction of the middle class....

67 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by softtorce: 3:50am On Sep 30
E be like say Ogun wan kill Penkelemes n Tinubu

53 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Kobojunkie: 3:57am On Sep 30
Islie:
Over 40 per cent of Nigerian electricity consumers are currently enjoying over 20 hours of regular electricity supply across the nation, Nigeria’s Minister of Power, Adebayo Adelabu, has said.
Mr Adelabu disclosed this on Sunday in a statement reviewing the activities of the power ministry in the last year.
“Moreover, the major achievement is the fact that today we generate over 5,500 megawatts of power, we transmit and distribute it, and over 40 per cent of customers today enjoy over 20 hours of regular power supply across the nation. You can see that there is a significant improvement between when we came in and now, which we intend to improve further,” Mr Adelabu said.
There are approximately 26 million homes in Nigeria, and 40% of that is 10.6 million homes. The Minister of Power wants us to believe that it supplies 20 hours of electricity per day to a whole 10,600,000 households using just 5,500MW of electricity which he claims the country generates. No be juju be that one? undecided

83 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Ttalk: 4:08am On Sep 30
Mr Minister keep your lying mouth, we know the minimal increase in power generation is as a result of increase in water level that increased the supply from hydro station to the national greed and not because of any intervention.

At the peak of heat period next year when huoseholds need home gadgets like freezer and air-conditioner, we would see if transformers wonts start blowing up and national grid start collapsing, that is when we would be able to access your acievement.

But for now just keep shut and pray Tinubu do not replace you

87 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by BOG202(m): 4:13am On Sep 30
So less than 6000MW of power is enough to serve more than 80million people at least 20hrs a day.

With this, naija only need 15,000MW of power to serve more than 200 million people

Na wah o.

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by bdon123(m): 4:25am On Sep 30
Which kind talk be this....how many places are band A in d whole Nigeria?even d band A dey struggle to see 20hrs

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by santaclaws: 4:31am On Sep 30
Worst minister in Tinubu's cabinet... The guy seems to be out of touch with reality.

Band A might be enjoying longer hours of supply but 40% is a very big number, that's almost half of the entire population, so I think that's cap! 🧢
😏

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Missroyalluv(f): 4:33am On Sep 30
The tariff is cra.zy, meter runs too fast this days especially after the last upgrade. Is like they intentionally did something to sap it fast.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by upower123(m): 4:36am On Sep 30
Lies upon lies...

10 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Skudi: 4:37am On Sep 30
It is true we are now enjoying power now.
Kudos to Tinubu

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by chrisxxx(m): 4:40am On Sep 30
Lies!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by preciouswoman66(m): 4:42am On Sep 30
My street na between 6hrs to 12hrs everyday. Better than many places in Nigeria sha but there's room for improvement BEDC

8 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by motionarena: 4:44am On Sep 30
Your Papa

6 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by LandMann: 4:45am On Sep 30
Tinubu asked his ministers to step up their propaganda game, so here we are!

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by oliverwrites: 4:53am On Sep 30
bdon123:
Which kind talk be this....how many places are band A in d whole Nigeria?even d band A dey struggle to see 20hrs
I am on band A and I get on average 23 hours per day, for 4 months now.

However, I am not sure up to 10% not to talk of 40% of Nigeria homes get up to 20 hours per day. Adelabu just lied.

31 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by SmartPolician: 4:56am On Sep 30
This man is a better minister of power than Babatunde Fashola who kept senselessly arguing that the job of a power minister is to regulate the industry. Yes, the power in my area has improved significantly but the bills are killing!

15 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by NaijaSumigan: 5:00am On Sep 30
Power has been consistent at my environ, mostly over 20 hours daily but the tariff is quite heavy.

I think 40% isn't yet the needed achievement. Mr Minister, you can do better.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by oz4real83(m): 5:01am On Sep 30
The fear of cabinet reshuffle is the beginning of more propaganda sad

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by AutoManual: 5:02am On Sep 30
Not every part.
Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Judolisco(m): 5:03am On Sep 30
No lies... Light Don improve

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Ofunaofu: 5:06am On Sep 30
Ttalk:
Mr Minister keep your lying mouth, we know the minimal increase in power generation is as a result of increase in water level that increased the supply from hydro station to the national greed and not because of any intervention.

At the peak of heat period next year when huoseholds need home gadgets like freezer and air-conditioner, we would see if transformers wonts start blowing up and national grid start collapsing, that is when we would be able to access your acievement.

But for now just keep shut and pray Tinubu do not replace you
Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by chukwuibuipob: 5:07am On Sep 30
cool true true..I dey enjoy 24 straight hours but nah money ooo.People now switched off their light in the morning and ON it @8/9 PM.

23 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Focusmind: 5:09am On Sep 30
I may agree with this assertion from my own personal experience. My area is under "band A", and we have light up to 20 to 24 hours daily. However, the charges are huge. You pay N225 instead of the N65. But I am using solar to offset the cost. I power my house on solar during the day and NEPA at night, to manage the IKEDC bill on band A users.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Brushstrokes20: 5:13am On Sep 30
Over 40 percent what 👀👀👀👀👀👀👀😳😳😳😳
This bold faced liar must be high on cow dung again💯
I'm in the notorious band A and there's been total blackout in my hood for over 5 days now 😎

Useless govt of self serving THIEVES AND BLOODTHIRSTY TERRORISTS 😕💯

ENOUGH OF NONSENSE 😕😒

2 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by calabaman(m): 5:13am On Sep 30
He is joking right.

3 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by jy2kbeyond(m): 5:17am On Sep 30
Perhaps we are togolese in my Oro, Kwara state. We are not getting even 2 hours per day.
sad sad sad
Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by Yankee101: 5:17am On Sep 30
Not true
Just band a
And the high prices is causing less usage

1 Like

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by pinacole1(m): 5:17am On Sep 30
Me for my area we de enjoy more than 20hours ohhh. The thing de surprise me. Is this nigeria. Just hope we can do better. But the bills nor be here ohhhh

12 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by EdiskyHarry: 5:21am On Sep 30
Where I live in uyo I can say this is true. But I don't think it's up to even 20 % because I travel a lot to many places

4 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by TheTundeMuniru: 5:22am On Sep 30
While many might disagree with him, I on the other hand agree with him.

I don't know about other areas but here in Lekky County, we enjoy uninterrupted power supply for at least 20hrs a day, no exaggeration.

12 Likes

Re: Over 40% Of Nigerians Now Enjoy 20 Hours Regular Electricity Supply – Minister by dust144(m): 5:25am On Sep 30
....have you stop using your power bank?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

N180M Fraud: Court Frees Ogbulafor / Senator Shehu Sani Calls Out Government On The Issue Of Light In Nigeria / PIB Scales First Reading In Senate

Viewing this topic: trutharena

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.