Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,405 members, 7,901,112 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 July 2024 at 11:59 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 - Travel (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 (214284 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 6:38pm On Feb 07, 2012
naijaobi:

thank you sp much bro, God will surely bless u

Like I said, try and give it to many other because all those materials have been deleted online. Many downloading sites have been checked by the FBI. Cheers!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by ADEBYTE: 6:59pm On Feb 07, 2012
@odundun
It could have been much easier if u can get a copy of ur certificate b4 ur interview date. I doubt if waec could assist in sending ur
Notification result to the embassy. In order to be on a safer side, I will enjoin you to get the said letter as well as the notification of ur result from waec and take them along with you to the embassy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by GboyegaD(m): 7:10pm On Feb 07, 2012
Surprised I cannot find my last post on this topic cry cry cry
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by odundun: 7:41pm On Feb 07, 2012
@gboyegaD, I made a photocopy before I submitted the original to waec, Waec renders service of sending result to embassies and overseas with a payment of 8k. I will as well get letter from waec on this, to take along with the photocopy of the ceritificate. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by djunit1(m): 11:54pm On Feb 07, 2012
GboyegaD:

Surprised I cannot find my last post on this topic cry cry cry

@GboyegaD   Justwise did some house keeping lol
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kidUrbane: 3:18am On Feb 08, 2012
I want to appeal to those that have made it to the USA already to remain helpful and stop all this dissing, its unhealthy and unhelpful for this beloved thread remember its sole purpose which is to help aspiring Nigerians study in the U.S.it'd be extremely helpful to keep quite if you have nothing helpful to add to this thread, No Hating oo.and I'll advise we start Nairaland in Obamaland for those that are already in Yankee, I envisage a community that'd help study-minded Nigerians accustom to the American environment with useful surviving tip, and please for those going for interview please bring it on, every experience posted is a seed sown to enhance the survival of this thread.and Fianally lets watch what we say here on this thread we should always remember this is a public site accessible to everyone Nigerian or not.I've decided to complete my undergraduate study in Nigeria but help whoever needs advise on application till I'm prepared to go study for my Masters.
God Bless You.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by hariyoh: 1:14pm On Feb 08, 2012
@ Classy, i have add you.

@ Imperiouxx, long time. Hope all is well around you over there? Please forward a copy of the Gre materials to me via my email hariyoh at yahoo dot com. Cheers and wishing you all the very best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by drslip: 10:46pm On Feb 08, 2012
This a kinda funny. I thought while applying for studies in the US you are required to submit a financial disclosure form also a copy of a sponsor's bank statement showin evidence that you can afford education in the US. If any of you guyz had genuine sponsors why will finance suddenly become such a serious issue.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by FutureDon(m): 11:38pm On Feb 08, 2012
dr.slip:

This a kinda funny. I thought while applying for studies in the US you are required to submit a financial disclosure form also a copy of a sponsor's bank statement showin evidence that you can afford education in the US. If any of you guyz had genuine sponsors why will finance suddenly become such a serious issue.

Huh?? I'm lost, you ''thought'' or you want to know?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by drslip: 11:44pm On Feb 08, 2012
I know, bro
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 12:33am On Feb 09, 2012
Good day to all the gurus in d house. please can anyone give me a list of schools that does not require a WES evaluation for admission into masters degree program? I finished with a CGPA of 3.68 on a 5 point scale. Applied to 2 schools already. sent all the required docs, GRE, TOEFL, Staty of account, proof of immunization, official transcript etc. The only pending document is the WES evaluated transcript. i've applied to WES already, but i'm not getting any response yet from them. I want to apply to fresh schools that don't require WES evaluation, pending the time i get a response, as i don't want to miss jan 2013 session.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by drslip: 12:41am On Feb 09, 2012
Well i think you should just keep checking the schools and their required applications. But from my observations i think larger schools may have evaluation offices within the school but smaller ones tend to ask for external evaluation.By the way when did you send your application to WES, we are on the same boat here cos I jus did mine. A friend of mine that did his said it took approx 8 weeks. But i guess most times delays are because Nigerian schools dont reply to verification of documents quick enough.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 12:43am On Feb 09, 2012
dr.slip:

It's going to be issue because whites don't think the way you think. QEM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 12:56am On Feb 09, 2012
I sent a copy to the school and another to WES. Now the school just informed me that my application is pending pending the time they get the evaluated copy from WES. The school requirement is a 3.0/4.0, and i fear my cgpa might not add up to that when converted. That's why i'm looking for alternatives.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by drslip: 1:01am On Feb 09, 2012
Whats your status on WES now? If it says waiting for verification of documents then its probably your school that is delaying. You may make up to 3.0/4.0 just be optimistic
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by drslip: 1:04am On Feb 09, 2012
Well its also not a bad idea to look for alternatives. At least to keep your options open, just do a lot of research you should find a school that fits what you want,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 1:06am On Feb 09, 2012
I got 3.68/5.00 in Nigeria and after WES conversion, it was 3.29/4.00. So, chill out you're on track.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by drslip: 1:10am On Feb 09, 2012
@supzyy so yu see from imperiouxx's evaluation if you had @ least a 2/2 i think you should make it.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 5:00am On Feb 09, 2012
Getting a visa into the States is the easiest of all the obstacles but surviving here takes patience, correct information, calculated risks and wisdom.
I would only advice anyone coming as an undergraduate to do this;
Apply to a university and a community college at the same time, whereas you can secure a visa with the Uni i20.
Once you get here, transfer your SEVIS immediately you arrive the Uni, dont even register, Thats what I did.
This is my 5th and the last semester at the community college paying less than $3000 a semester whereas I would have been paying about $9000 plus a semester at the Uni, Meanwhile, the curriculum is just the same. You would just have to take transferable classes. You can easily build your GPA at the community college. Remember, as you go higher it becomes tougher.

For a graduate student, if you have a 2.2 or third class, I would advice such a candidate to enroll for a PGD in Nigeria first, then thereafter apply to the graduate school. For those whose GPA are above 3.8/5, apply to black schools. THey have alot of opportunities. Check school that has Southern something Uni, trust me you would receive alot of grants.

Dont anticipate what would happen in 6months, 1year or 2years time, take one step at a time. It can be overwhelming if u put alot of things on your plate at the same time.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by phy: 5:50am On Feb 09, 2012
Supzyy:

I sent a copy to the school and another to WES. Now the school just informed me that my application is pending pending the time they get the evaluated copy from WES. The school requirement is a 3.0/4.0, and i fear my cgpa might not add up to that when converted. That's why i'm looking for alternatives.

WES do waste time but you'll appreciate it later, but you can try Cal state Unis, they don't require evaluation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by drslip: 8:33am On Feb 09, 2012
@ phy did you get your transcripts evaluated by WES? If you did how long dod it take to get completed. I heard it takes approximately 2 months.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by FutureDon(m): 9:28am On Feb 09, 2012
What appears to be a delay in transcript evaluation should be blamed on our respective institutions. Mine took more than 2 months solely because my University did not send my transcript to WES on time. As soon as WES received my transcript, it became a speedy process.

You can only hope that your transcript is sent as earlier as possible. Don't also forget to send the photocopy of your degree certificate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 3:37pm On Feb 09, 2012
After sending them the transcript and my certificate copy, they sent them back to Nigeria for verification and I was notified of the development. When my Nigeria school got it, I was also told and they replied WES back through the enclosed email WES gave them. The whole process after this was just 7 days. Mine took one and half month. So, two months is normal.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by tomzyfire: 6:21pm On Feb 09, 2012
I appreciate everybody on these forum , am using WAEC and NECO results can l still apply into any American universities for my Msc programme , please I need your advice. @imperiouxx
please kindly forward the GRE in full to me.
My mail (chatom143@yahoo.com)
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by mysterysng: 7:02am On Feb 10, 2012
Ok I read a few pages and I got so pissed I couldn't read further. It is annoying that you guys allow this thread derail, can the moderator delete the irrelevant pages with all the back and forths? so that those  seeking info can get to what they need without going through the unnecessary pages of fights. Imperious, while you seemed like a great dude, I was a bit disapointed that you dragged yourself into this. One thing I know is sure- US is so large that different things apply to different regions, states and even counties within a state. I am an MPH student and I beg to differ from most of the opinion that has been given here especially about funding. While I will not try to put in what is right or wrong, I will say, whatever experiences we have here in the US, remember things vary in different schools. The city where I school would not have been my top choice considering how expensive it is here (and no, it is not NY or LA or Vegas) but it is one of the topmost schools of P.health so you can't blame me for choosing it. However, finances can get very rough and tough here and there are NO FREEBIES but if you live within your means, you should do fine/almost fine. I can't over emphasize that things REALLY VARY!!!, I have friends that pay 1/5th of what I pay for accommodation and No, I don't live in a neighborhood that will rank among the top 10 in the city. If you want to eat out (and remember not everyone will have time to cook), you will be spending so much money. Cooking atimes might be a better alternative. Amount spent on grocery shopping ranges. Chinese markets may be a cheaper place to shop (that I discovered a bit late, and the environment might not be as healthy/clean but who cares? Naija markets are worse).
In conclusion, this thread is about Visa application, anyone seeking advise about life in the USA should either send private messages to forum members or create a new page on that. Goodluck y'all!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by OlivaTwist: 7:12am On Feb 10, 2012
Hi Mysteryng,

Please I would be coming for my MPH this fall. please can you tell me the best way we could communicate better as I would need some clarifications.
Many Thanks smiley
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by mysterysng: 7:19am On Feb 10, 2012
@ oliver twist, post your email address.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by OlivaTwist: 8:51am On Feb 10, 2012
@mysterysng: Hit me up please: olivatwist30@yahoo.com
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by iamcapela: 11:11am On Feb 10, 2012
@ Everyone,

Good morning, I appreciate your contributions to making this wonderful forum, @ Y'll I want to ask for a lil advise, Well I need a break of this GRE score and to some Graduate schools in the U.S that one can apply to with this results, I see from GR'E website has changed its scoring as a August 2011, from my understanding the GRE total score is 0294, I will appreciate honest and straight forward answers, God bless you all.

Test Scores Test Score Date Taken
GRE Total Score 0294 01/2012
GRE Verbal Code 145 01/2012
GRE Quantitative Code 149 01/2012
GRE Analytical Writing Section 2.5 01/2012

Thanks again
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 3:31pm On Feb 10, 2012
iamcapela:

@ Everyone,

Good morning, I appreciate your contributions to making this wonderful forum, @ Y'll I want to ask for a lil advise, Well I need a break of this GRE score and to some Graduate schools in the U.S that one can apply to with this results, I see from GR'E website has changed its scoring as a August 2011, from my understanding the GRE total score is 0294, I will appreciate honest and straight forward answers, God bless you all.

Test Scores Test Score Date Taken
GRE Total Score 0294 01/2012
GRE Verbal Code 145 01/2012
GRE Quantitative Code 149 01/2012
GRE Analytical Writing Section 2.5 01/2012

Thanks again

First things - what graduate program are you looking into?
When i converted your scores to the old GRE format which i'm familiar with, i came up with this:

Test Scores Test Score
GRE Total Score 920
GRE Verbal Code 430 (39th percentile)
GRE Quantitative Code 490 (27th percentile)
GRE Analytical Writing Section 2.5 (5th percentile)

Bro, you will not get any admission on the basis of these scores. retake the test.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kaycome: 9:39pm On Feb 10, 2012
imperioux and other pl i need ur advice on wat to do concerning my application. my skool told me to use wes which i did. Now my status is stil vertification for the past 2 month and i always cal my skool if they have recieved the vertification documdnt from wes and i told they havent. I have send several mails to wes bt they havent. Also my skool told me that my cert is nt yet ready that if wes will accept a letter stating that it is stil under processing they wil send it to them. Pl wat can i do?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kaycome: 9:51pm On Feb 10, 2012
pl sorry for the errors! I used a smart phone which i am nt use too. Wes have nt replied any of my mails. I want them to resend the document. Is nt that i cant apply to any oda skool apart from dis skool, is jut dat my aunty stay beside dis skool and it has been my dream to study there rite 4rm my teen yrs.

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (101)

I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / General New Zealand Student Enquires / Need Traveling Advice To Cotonou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.