Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,199,230 members, 7,970,844 topics. Date: Wednesday, 09 October 2024 at 04:32 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 - Travel (57) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 (215723 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (101) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by conyema12(m): 11:00am On Jun 15, 2012
Good day guys!!

I must confess this thread is loaded with useful infor. I need an advice, Plz what are the chances of securing a PhD Admission in Geosciences in US with a Master Degree in uniport.. My CGPA is actually on a high side ..4.75/5.0 i also did my Bsc also in Geology with 3.48/5.0 CGPA, work experince in my field from one of the IOCs.
Thank you for sharing.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by samiel4u(m): 12:50pm On Jun 15, 2012
guys,now i need help.
i hav applied for expedited interview and got 24th sept, also applied for emergency appointment and was denied.
I need a date in july cos my my resumption date is 7th august.what else can i do pls?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kpolli(m): 1:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
samiel4u: guys,now i need help.
i hav applied for expedited interview and got 24th sept, also applied for [b]emergency appointmen[/b]t and was denied.
I need a date in july cos my my resumption date is 7th august.what else can i do pls?

What's the difference?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 2:26pm On Jun 15, 2012
kpolli:

What's the difference?

In d former, one can still apply for an interview date after one ve been denied while in d later one can only apply after 6 months or so. It wud surprise u dat some people(of d later that were rejected) in dis forum did break dat ruLe by making anoda interview date and don't knw ow they did dat sha.

@samiel4u,
I will advice u continue trying d emergency button. Or like the risk takers, cancel ur appointment and book straight emergency date. But not sure whether dis work since one nids to ve a date booked already b4 goin 4 d emergency one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jun 15, 2012
walex57:
Thanks but i've been trying to book for a while now only for the portal to automatically log me out once i get to the aspect in which i'm to choose a date.... what do i do please?

Dude u ve to select d date first b4 clicking on the re-scheduling button or whatever it is called. But d issue of it logging u out immediately, that I can't tell.. My next suggestion is to go ahead and make an emergency appointment.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 3:43pm On Jun 15, 2012
kpolli:

What's the difference?

They are both the same. On the page, you see expedited date and when you click it, it might come up with a date closer enough for you but if not, you can write them stating you want more closer expedited/emergency date. Also, when requesting for expedited/emergency date, one should attach either I-20 or admission letter showing how close your resumption is.

leadzeal:

In d former, one can still apply for an interview date after one ve been denied while in d later one can only apply after 6 months or so. It wud surprise u dat some people(of d later that were rejected) in dis forum did break dat ruLe by making anoda interview date and don't knw ow they did dat sha.

@samiel4u,
I will advice u continue trying d emergency button. Or like the risk takers, cancel ur appointment and book straight emergency date. But not sure whether dis work since one nids to ve a date booked already b4 goin 4 d emergency one.

It's luck depending on how much emergency request and how much normal entries they got.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by KayDee4: 5:55pm On Jun 15, 2012
conyema12: Good day guys!!

I must confess this thread is loaded with useful infor. I need an advice, Plz what are the chances of securing a PhD Admission in Geosciences in US with a Master Degree in uniport. My CGPA is actually on a high side ..4.75/5.0 i also did my Bsc also in Geology with 3.48/5.0 CGPA, work experince in my field from one of the IOCs.
Thank you for sharing.

Your credentials are in good shape and you just have to start talking to professors in different schools that share similar research interests with you. If anyone has a project you can work on, then you're in. You might have to tune your research interests to blend with what is available. As a geologist, you should focus on schools in the south (TX and Louisiana areas), the closer you are to the industry itself, the better.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by walex57(m): 6:11pm On Jun 15, 2012
leadzeal:

Dude u ve to select d date first b4 clicking on the re-scheduling button or whatever it is called. But d issue of it logging u out immediately, that I can't tell.. My next suggestion is to go ahead and make an emergency appointment.
It has opened and i've booked september 6 and clicked on the icon that i should be automatically rescheduled to an earlier date and i pray it works 'cos d date on my i-20 is august 27... if it doesn't i'll wait till my i-20 is 60 days to expire and i'll book for an emergency date cos my school is not accepting application for spring 2013 so i may not be able to defer it till then...please any other advice please...cos i'm confused.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by GboyegaD(m): 6:41pm On Jun 15, 2012
walex57:
Thanks but i've been trying to book for a while now only for the portal to automatically log me out once i get to the aspect in which i'm to choose a date.... what do i do please?

I truly do not know about that but I want to believe those who know would respond to you.
Regards,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 6:45pm On Jun 15, 2012
walex57:
It has opened and i've booked september 6 and clicked on the icon that i should be automatically rescheduled to an earlier date and i pray it works 'cos d date on my i-20 is august 27... if it doesn't i'll wait till my i-20 is 60 days to expire and i'll book for an emergency date cos my school is not accepting application for spring 2013 so i may not be able to defer it till then...please any other advice please...cos i'm confused.

I guess u still give d emergency thingy a try. And see whether it can still work. The rollover ti works if and only if there is a spare date. I won't totally bank on the rollover ti since I don't see any1 leaving his or her slot at dis very moment. But ll put my moni in d emergency ti.

Success
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by GboyegaD(m): 6:46pm On Jun 15, 2012
Stantiques:

Ok am very glad on your effort to help me , what form do I scan to you , I have the old Sevis number and skool name , I paid via western union , I already checked the status online its been paid , please let mknow if you are needing me to send the old SEvis number. Address , and new sevis number all that they required to transfer sevis on their webpage , kindly drop me your email and will do just that right away .

May God continue to help u too

The form is the one you used in paying your sevis or you could send a mail and include your names as endorsed on the form, date of birth, your sevis number, the school you applied to and the one you want to change it to. I am not so sure you need a new sevis number because the knowledge I have says if you are changing school, you only change the information on the dhs record and the only time you change sevis number is if you leave the country for over 5 months in the course of study which requires you do another visa interview to come into the country.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by samiel4u(m): 8:19pm On Jun 15, 2012
imperiouxx:

They are both the same. On the page, you see expedited date and when you click it, it might come up with a date closer enough for you but if not, you can write them stating you want more closer expedited/emergency date. Also, when requesting for expedited/emergency date, one should attach either I-20 or admission letter showing how close your resumption is.

It's luck depending on how much emergency request and how much normal entries they got.

I called them and they said they cant guarantee a date close to my resumption, but if any closer date opens i will automatically booked for such date.
.......house, what if i cancel this appointment, pay a new fee, will the emergency appointment show up again in my account cos it disappear sinc the initial emergency application denial.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by conyema12(m): 9:29pm On Jun 15, 2012
Kay-Dee:

Your credentials are in good shape and you just have to start talking to professors in different schools that share similar research interests with you. If anyone has a project you can work on, then you're in. You might have to tune your research interests to blend with what is available. As a geologist, you should focus on schools in the south (TX and Louisiana areas), the closer you are to the industry itself, the better.

Thank you very much for that wonderful piece of information.

And i will start as soon as possible
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 11:21pm On Jun 15, 2012
samiel4u:

I called them and they said they cant guarantee a date close to my resumption, but if any closer date opens i will automatically booked for such date.
.......house, what if i cancel this appointment, pay a new fee, will the emergency appointment show up again in my account cos it disappear sinc the initial emergency application denial.

I think you have to wait till spring entry. Is that the first time you requested for ED and was denied?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by samiel4u(m): 11:24pm On Jun 15, 2012
imperiouxx:

I think you have to wait till spring entry. Is that the first time you requested for ED and was denied?

@ imperious.
thats the first time i requested for ED.
this is sad, went thru the whole stress of writing GRE, sending document etc,just logistics problem go come delay person.
na wa o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kpolli(m): 12:37am On Jun 16, 2012
samiel4u:

@ imperious.
this is sad, went thru the whole stress of writing GRE, sending document etc,just logistics problem go come delay person.
na wa o

And u've tried the auto reschedule option?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by phy: 2:13am On Jun 16, 2012
samiel4u:

@ imperious.
na wa o

@Samie I doubt if ED denial meant anything. Just keep your fingers crossed, keep checking for dates. Also if you tried ED at Lagos and was denied you can also try Abj and vice versa. However, it is important to note that before applying for ED you must have already selected a later available appointment date. Do not include any attachment in your mail (that was the rule as at the last time i did). You dont need too many grammar but the required info and the reason for ur request.

All the best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Dspiritcatalyst: 3:55am On Jun 16, 2012
Pls can anyone tell me if it,s possible to secure a 6 month at least visa when your passport remain just a month to expire?...need an urgent answer please.Thank you all
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by deevick246(m): 5:13am On Jun 16, 2012
Dspiritcatalyst: Pls can anyone tell me if it,s possible to secure a 6 month at least visa when your passport remain just a month to expire?...need an urgent answer please.Thank you all

No,No and No. Your passport has to have at least 6 month expiration time to apply for visa. How can you use a passport that has a month expiration date to get a 6 month visa on it You self reason am naa.
My advice, when it expires push for its renewal.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by imperiouxx(m): 5:16am On Jun 16, 2012
samiel4u:

@ imperious.
na wa o

What phy said is true, just keep your hope alive and keep searching for date both in Lag and Abj even they didn't accept your for an ED. Also, God knows what he is doing. I missed Aug interview, I went for Dec in Abuja was denied, went 13 days after to Lagos and got it. All planned perfectly by God, came here in Jan 2012 met who I won't have met if I've got here in that Aug 2011. Got all what I won't have gotten if I've made it here in that Aug. I'm so fortune by missing Aug and for being denied once.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by samiel4u(m): 6:44am On Jun 16, 2012
imperiouxx:

What phy said is true, just keep your hope alive and keep searching for date both in Lag and Abj even they didn't accept your for an ED. Also, God knows what he is doing. I missed Aug interview, I went for Dec in Abuja was denied, went 13 days after to Lagos and got it. All planned perfectly by God, came here in Jan 2012 met who I won't have met if I've got here in that Aug 2011. Got all what I won't have gotten if I've made it here in that Aug. I'm so fortune by missing Aug and for being denied once.
@ phy
Thanks for this info, i will have to cancel this former date to see available dates date in Abuja and lagos.can i do that over the weekend?
@ imperiouxx.....i appreciate, can i use the same MRV fee i paid for Abuja to book in lagos, can this checking of dates be done over this weekend or i should wait till monday.
Suggestions from the house please.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by phy: 7:17am On Jun 16, 2012
samiel4u:
@ phy
Thanks for this info, i will have to cancel this former date to see available dates date in Abuja and lagos.can i do that over the weekend?
@ imperiouxx.....i appreciate, can i use the same MRV fee i paid for Abuja to book in lagos, can this checking of dates be done over this weekend or i should wait till monday.
Suggestions from the house please.
You don't need to cancel your appointment before seeing an available date, you should cancel only if you've seen an available date that suits you and that can be done anytime. Also you can use ur MRV receipt for both abj and lagos.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by samiel4u(m): 7:51am On Jun 16, 2012
phy:
You don't need to cancel your appointment before seeing an available date, you should cancel only if you've seen an available date that suits you and that can be done anytime. Also you can use ur MRV receipt for both abj and lagos.
@phy
Please how can i view available dates?pls give me ur fone #, i need info ASAP
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Stantiques: 7:52am On Jun 16, 2012
Please anybody to help me in the house . I want to transfer my sevis fee toa new school ,
Where is the life in the USA section , I don't get to see the thread again . Has it crashed like dana too , please peeps help me , guys over there .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 8:05am On Jun 16, 2012
Dspiritcatalyst: Pls can anyone tell me if it,s possible to secure a 6 month at least visa when your passport remain just a month to expire?...need an urgent answer please.Thank you all

I ll advice u get it re-issued in lagos or abuja. I was in d same shoes as u sometime ago, mine passport is to expire dec this year, so to b in a better position I had to get a new one re-issued to me. Don't wait till it expires.

Success
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by bypassit: 8:09am On Jun 16, 2012
@House,my school resumes by August 6 and i was not able to book an early date,I had to book for sept 7 and sent an Emergency Request plus i contacted the call center and spoke with one of the US Consulate agents.She told me she saw i already sent an Emergency Request that i should wait till 22nd of this month maybe someone should attend to my request.
I am not sure how this works or of it works exactly the way they said it but i really need to get an early date for appointment.
House i need a word from you guys if there is other way to get an early date aside from Emergency request.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Nobody: 8:14am On Jun 16, 2012
Stantiques: Please anybody to help me in the house . I want to transfer my sevis fee toa new school ,
Where is the life in the USA section , I don't get to see the thread again . Has it crashed like dana too , please peeps help me , guys over there .

Why make the analogy of dana crash with this thread? It was uncalled for. Am not good at castigating people, but dude souls were lost in d crash. And u don't ve an idea whether people making posts in dis thread had relative(s) on dat plane.

So next time dude choose ur words carefully.

Peace.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by king14: 8:18am On Jun 16, 2012
@ all

Contrary to the idea that you don't need to attach any file while applying for Emergency appointment, please that was before, if you want to apply for one, from your home tab click emergency appointment, it will take you to a page and expalain details on those that qualify for emergency appointment, the next page, you will write in brief why you want a quicker date and attach your i20 and sevis receipt. They always Do approve of it if you follow this means.

@stantiques
I thought you were liasing with gboyega to get this done, it would be easier for someone in the US to solve this problem.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by Stantiques: 11:24am On Jun 16, 2012
king1_00: @ all

Contrary to the idea that you don't need to attach any file while applying for Emergency appointment, please that was before, if you want to apply for one, from your home tab click emergency appointment, it will take you to a page and expalain details on those that qualify for emergency appointment, the next page, you will write in brief why you want a quicker date and attach your i20 and sevis receipt. They always Do approve of it if you follow this means.

@stantiques
I thought you were liasing with gboyega to get this done, it would be easier for someone in the US to solve this problem.

Yes brouv .

But the problem is gboyega is yet to drop me his email so I can send all neccessary info to him.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by rowlandoo: 12:15pm On Jun 16, 2012
@GboyegaD

Plese what is your email address so i can forward you to information . I am still same just posting tru my friend username . I am sure would not be secured for me to drop those vital informations here on NL . PLS kindly drop me your email address , Mine is austiinn33d@yahoo.com. in reference to the school , the new school is different from the former one so i think i have a new Sevis number on my I-20. I AM WAITING FOR YOU BRODA
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by liteville: 12:31pm On Jun 16, 2012
I also feel greatly indebted to come back here and say thank you to everyone who has at anytime contributed to this forum. I really can't count the number of times I've spent on this particular thread digesting the information in there. I read almost the entire thread starting from the "1st season" and of course the efforts have paid off. I went for my visa interview on Monday and it was approved. Below is the excerpt of the interview;

I had a little challenge before my interview. All applicants were being given a slip as we entered and we were being called for the document verification, biometrics and interview in a definite order. When I finished my biometrics and was waiting to be called for the interview, my number was skipped, I thought it was just an oversight so I didn't budge initially, but after about 6-7 people (whose number were after mine) did with my own name not called, I went to the woman who did the verification and she directed me to go to one window, where I was later directed to another window for my interview.

VO: Why have you chosen to go to the US for your studies?
Me: Because the US has a proven track record when it comes to educational advancement and they also have an excellent reputation in research activity

VO: How did you hear about the school?
Me: I came across one of their publications when I was preparing for my undergraduate research and besides a senior colleague is presently studying there.

VO: So you're working, where do you work?
Me: Told her the name of the company

VO: In what capacity
Me: Told her

VO: So how do you intend to pay for your fees
Me: Told her I got a graduate assistantship and my uncle will be paying for the rest

VO: Can I see your uncle's bank statement (before she completed the statement, she changed her mind and asked if I sat for any exam to qualify for the award and she requested to see them)
Me: Told her I sat GRE and TOEFL

VO: Did you apply to other schools?
Me: Yes, 4 other schools

VO: Mention them
Me: I did (thereafter, she said the schools I mentioned were rather random) and I explained that they're not random, that they all have something in common, and that's a lot of expertise in my research area ( I mentioned the research area)

VO: she chuckled; I really don't know what your research area is all about anyway.

You can go and pick up your visa on Friday, sorry Thursday.
Me: I said 'thanks' and I left her window.

PS: A black American lady interviewed me. When I got there initially, she was in charge of biometrics. A couple of friends said she'd interviewed some people earlier and that she was rather nasty.

I've heard a lot of stories before I went for my interview and I must confess it's really not as scary as it seems outside. (the interview wasn't up to 5 mins) Those who couldn't express themselves clearly were denied (not like my responses flowed well, but I was able to articulate myself and I think my responses made sense) Besides studying nairaland night and day, I made a list of my own possible questions and my own responses and virtually all the questions were asked based on the one I prepared for myself.
Also, my TOEFL had expired when I went for the interview but that was the TOEFL I used to secure the admission so I felt there was no need to take another one.
Another thing is, it's been repeated times without number, the importance of writing standardized tests (GRE and TOEFL; mind you that was the only document that was requested for me), I believe it shows your academic seriousness especially if you have a good score. You may be asked and you may not, but why would you want to take chances. The only exception to this rule would be, if you have a very very good transcript (and I'm talking 1st class students here) that may be convincing as to why your GRE was waived. In my own opinion, very few good schools would give you admission without GRE and the consular officers know this as well.
Lastly, God's favor is very important, I guess one can't ask enough for this. Prepare and pray well, and I believe you'll also have a good story to share at the end of the day.
To the old and new contributors -- gongo aso, superbrain, ojap, aroy1, impreriouxx, davidylan and so many others, thank you very much.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part2 by kpolli(m): 1:37pm On Jun 16, 2012
liteville: I also feel greatly indebted to come back here and say thank you to everyone who has at anytime contributed to this forum. I really can't count the number of times I've spent on this particular thread digesting the information in there. I read almost the entire thread starting from the "1st season" and of course the efforts have paid off. I went for my visa interview on Monday and it was approved. Below is the excerpt of the interview;

I had a little challenge before my interview. All applicants were being given a slip as we entered and we were being called for the document verification, biometrics and interview in a definite order. When I finished my biometrics and was waiting to be called for the interview, my number was skipped, I thought it was just an oversight so I didn't budge initially, but after about 6-7 people (whose number were after mine) did with my own name not called, I went to the woman who did the verification and she directed me to go to one window, where I was later directed to another window for my interview.

VO: Why have you chosen to go to the US for your studies?
Me: Because the US has a proven track record when it comes to educational advancement and they also have an excellent reputation in research activity

VO: How did you hear about the school?
Me: I came across one of their publications when I was preparing for my undergraduate research and besides a senior colleague is presently studying there.

VO: So you're working, where do you work?
Me: Told her the name of the company

VO: In what capacity
Me: Told her

VO: So how do you intend to pay for your fees
Me: Told her I got a graduate assistantship and my uncle will be paying for the rest

VO: Can I see your uncle's bank statement (before she completed the statement, she changed her mind and asked if I sat for any exam to qualify for the award and she requested to see them)
Me: Told her I sat GRE and TOEFL

VO: Did you apply to other schools?
Me: Yes, 4 other schools

VO: Mention them
Me: I did (thereafter, she said the schools I mentioned were rather random) and I explained that they're not random, that they all have something in common, and that's a lot of expertise in my research area ( I mentioned the research area)

VO: she chuckled; I really don't know what your research area is all about anyway.

You can go and pick up your visa on Friday, sorry Thursday.
Me: I said 'thanks' and I left her window.

PS: A black American lady interviewed me. When I got there initially, she was in charge of biometrics. A couple of friends said she'd interviewed some people earlier and that she was rather nasty.

I've heard a lot of stories before I went for my interview and I must confess it's really not as scary as it seems outside. (the interview wasn't up to 5 mins) Those who couldn't express themselves clearly were denied (not like my responses flowed well, but I was able to articulate myself and I think my responses made sense) Besides studying nairaland night and day, I made a list of my own possible questions and my own responses and virtually all the questions were asked based on the one I prepared for myself.
Also, my TOEFL had expired when I went for the interview but that was the TOEFL I used to secure the admission so I felt there was no need to take another one.
Another thing is, it's been repeated times without number, the importance of writing standardized tests (GRE and TOEFL; mind you that was the only document that was requested for me), I believe it shows your academic seriousness especially if you have a good score. You may be asked and you may not, but why would you want to take chances. The only exception to this rule would be, if you have a very very good transcript (and I'm talking 1st class students here) that may be convincing as to why your GRE was waived. In my own opinion, very few good schools would give you admission without GRE and the consular officers know this as well.
Lastly, God's favor is very important, I guess one can't ask enough for this. Prepare and pray well, and I believe you'll also have a good story to share at the end of the day.
To the old and new contributors -- gongo aso, superbrain, ojap, aroy1, impreriouxx, davidylan and so many others, thank you very much.

Congrats bro

(1) (2) (3) ... (54) (55) (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) ... (101)

I Finally Got To America-thanks Nairaland! / How Easy Is Getting Admission Into Netherlands Univeristies And Visa / General New Zealand Student Enquires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.