Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,358 members, 7,891,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 July 2024 at 03:13 PM

Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed (45712 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Breaking News!!!!!!! : Fuel To Sell At N57/litre ? / Fuel Subsidy Removed - Full Transcript Of Press Release From The Pppra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by sheyguy: 10:17pm On Jan 01, 2012
efisher:

Ok @sheyguy. I also know a bit about that. I'll include that in my "lecture"
i dont know the place ur research was carried out, one thing i know is if everyone keeps running a genset for his personal use there is a guarenteed level of wastage (about 40%) cos pple tend to buy and run gen with a bigger capacity than 4 their normal needs for sake of rainy days, generation of power/electrical energy is suppose to be centralized to eliminate these loses. In a country where power supply is erratic and energy saving bulbs arent what they claim to be, ur research (probably u just google it) will never apply to our pecular situation in Nigeria.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by makonko(m): 10:17pm On Jan 01, 2012
Fellow Nigerians, we have been fooled again. This is a height of irresponsibility by a government to do on a new year. Resistance will not work because they have been expecting it. The original plan might be N120 per litre. So when we resist, the government will say they have heard us and therefore reduced to N120 per litre. Revolution is the KEY
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by jaybee3(m): 10:19pm On Jan 01, 2012
engineerd:

@Beaf, Can you please kindly go away? I am asking respectfully.
Loooooooool
Mehn thanks for making my day. Your post cracked me up so hard
Sadly though, beaf ain't going no where and rightly so as well
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 10:19pm On Jan 01, 2012
TIME FOR REVOLUTION, BATTLE CRY PEOPLE, , How can you remove subsidy, coming from a government who offers pretty much nothing to the masses. Insecurity, lack of basic and standard living conditions (roads, education, etc), This is just unacceptable. There has to be a better way!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 01, 2012
4real:

You are so silly, so public transport which accounts for the remaining 95% runs on water abi, the farmer who has to transport his goods to the city to sell also rents a bus which runs on water abi, or the generator people use instead of steady power light from the government also runs on water, or maybe the common man who earns 30,000 a month and uses 15,000 to transport himself by public transport also uses the one powered by water
The fact that you have a good job and have plenty money in your savings you think it would not effect you, i don't want to curse because its a new year, but when you loose your job and then find out that your house rent has doubled and you cant afford to take care of your family maybe just maybe then you would know what we trying to talk about

Thanks for explaining to that Paddy_lo. How can a right thinking person say that the government is subsidizing just 5% of the people. Please go ahead and curse him, I will say amen to whatever curse lol. Its people like him that are the problem. The suppossed "educated ones" who only think about themselves.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 10:21pm On Jan 01, 2012
My only pity is for the poor Nigerians jonathan deceived that he had no shoes.I wonder how they will make it when a former fisherman is making their lives so bitter.Shame on southerners for voting this iddiot into power.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by texazzpete(m): 10:21pm On Jan 01, 2012
paddy_lo:

[b]Hmm. . my piece is thinking and very much original dude. . .
ok i get it u want cheap fuel. . but whats the strategic goal behind that?

are u stimulating any productive sector in the country with that cheap fuel?
what percentage of Nigerians own cars?1%. . .5%. . why should 5% of the population be subsidized to the tune of N1.3Trillion a yr?. .Thats madness and the worst form of indolence that can only come forth from an unserious nation

How about use that 1.3trillion to build nuclear power plants that will last the next 50yrs(Ps a 1,000MW Nuclear plant costs about $4Billion dollars)

what r u going to do when our oil runs out in 30yrs and u wake up from your cheap PMS induced stupor to realize that you didn't leave anything productive for your kids to build on?. .u just had cheap fuel that u had been importing for the past 30yrs,but no infrastructure,no production. .just consumption and waste

Dude the removal of subsidy will do 2 very important things at once

All rent seekers (so called independent marketers), will get out of this game and o look elsewhere to enrich themselves,no more feeding fat on GOVT

Therefore only genuine players will be left.

Secondly PMS will adjust to its market price(for imported PMS),therefore if say a DANGOTE wants to build a refinery in Nigeria cause he believes he can sell locally refined PMS cheaper than the imported one,he can go to his bankers and they will give him a loan to do so.

Again, we need to think more of the future,its not all about now.

PS i reside in Lagos,and the cost to fillup my tank will jump from N4000, to N8000. . but perhaps i will be more careful in how i roll and make only necessary trips out

More importantly as a rational human living in a market economy,i am adjusting my consumption patterns to reflect the change in price.

Thats important for innovation to happen in any market economy.

Perhaps i will buy a used chevy volt in 2 yrs. . who knows. .bottom line the oil runs out in 30yrs or less

better start the adjustments now,cause it will be more painful later[/b]

Very brainless submission. Even if it's only 5% of Nigerians that drive cars, these people pay taxes and the subsidy is (in most cases) the only benefit they get from this corrupt and useless PDP Government.
It isn't just cars. What of those who need fuel to run generators? Apart from those who need to run generators for hours just to provide the power that the useless government often fails to provide, folks like the barbers, the hairdressers and tailors will have to increase their prices to offset the increased operating cost. Will the common man not bear the brunt of these increases?
You speak of the common man who does not drive a car as if to imply that they were not benefiting from the subsidy. What happens when a man on minimum wage has to pay double to cut his hair, has to pay double for commercial cab fare, has to pay much more for rice, beans, garri etc?

What of students? University students living in hostels have to cope with increased transport fare and increased cost of purchase of essential foodstuffs. How does he use his static pocket money to purchase the suddenly more expensive rice, beans and yam?

You ask Nigerians to cut corners and manage their consumption. DOes it not strike you as absurd that this same effort is not being asked of our politicians, legislators, etc? While you declare implicit trust in Goodluck and Dangote, does it not srike you as odd that absurd costs are even more prevalent in the 2012 budget? One billion Naira for food, tens of billions of Naira for foreign travel etc.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by lastpage: 10:21pm On Jan 01, 2012
that is where the debate is, govt. argues that it does not have money to do that and no investor will build one with the subsidy still in effect.
Dont make me laugh with this kind of purile argument!

If he has =N=5Billion to furnish an NGO office space that she forcefully took from them, how come it does not have money to build a refinery?

[url]http://pointblanknews.com/new/exclusive/3362-ASO-ROCK-EARMARKS-N5BILLION-TO-FURNISH-MRS.-JONATHAN%E2%80%99S-NGO-HQ-, As-She-Sacks-Govt.-Parastatal-from-Office.html[/url]

Or if he can allocate =N=1.3Billion for buying FOODSTUFF
for himself and his deputy's family in Aso Rock, How come we dont have money to build a refinery?
If each of our Senators earn close to a Billion/Annum, how come we dont have money to build a refinery?

People need to think before spewing rubbish.
This action reeks of plain wickedness from someone who is very greedy (as a result of a deprived childhood!).

Nigerians MUST bring this Govt down very quickly, to serve as NOTICE to others in future.
Otherwise, we can kiss the future of our children Goodbyeluck!

BTW: it means anyone earning less than 50,000 Naira monthly, is not even entitled to own a Generator, not to mention a car 'cos how are you gonna fuel it? In a country where electricity is at best "e go light small, then e go light gaan" (respect to fela Anikulapo)!

What a sick President!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 10:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
Government said they would use the money realized from subsidy removal for INFRASTRUCTURE, guyz do you realize that 2012 budget has no subsidy appropriation,  so where is the saving coming from?

If no money has been budgeted for subsidy in 2012, so where will they be getting N1.3tn from
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by VoodooDoll(m): 10:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
@Makonko

I think you are right.

People will make noise and PDP will "reduce" the price from N140 to something above N100 and the populace will go to sleep suffering and smiling.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by buzugee(m): 10:24pm On Jan 01, 2012
Will you also use bicycle to power your house? Will you also use bicycle to transport food from your local market home? How many Nigerians buy food processed like we do here? How many Nigerians can even afford processed food? Majority buy it cheap in the local market where their purchasing power still can earn them a basketful!

Again, how many of the cycling facilities you saw in Holland is available in Nigeria?,  or didn't you see that cyclist have their own road/lane in holland?, Do we have same in Nigeria?? Or will you cycle from Ebute meta to Idiroko or Isolo
crucify the messenger why dont ya, Omo_Tier1  grin grin grin grin am just a black man tryna wet his beak
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 10:24pm On Jan 01, 2012
There will not be any revolution.subsidy is gone.The masses will bear the brunt,unfortunately.Resource control comes soon.Gej knows that he is the last president of nigeria as it is currently structured.He will not beg anybody to vote him in 2015 because he will not seek election in the first place.Whoever wants to be president of nigeria in 2015 will not have SS/SE to preside over.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ifeci: 10:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
sigh. . if u have 37billion barrels as reserves of a commodity. . and u take out 2.4 Million barrels a day(every day)

how many barrels do u take out in a yr?. . multiply that by 30yrs see if u have any barrels left in the ground

your second point makes no sense,u are paying for the market price of PMS. . .u are not paying for subsidy ok

Next time u go buy a bag of cement,tell them u wont pay the price u are quoted, until the Govt comes and pays half for u.

Do you understand that the oil  we are talking about is a natural resource and not some tank installed underground? secondly if the so called Gvt had good plans for the masses why didn't come up with a good fall back plan to tackle the ripple effects of subsidy removal? why didn't they revive the local refineries to at least meet local demand b4 removing subsidy? and if the say that they don't have money to build refineries, where do our politicians embezel those incredible billions from?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Gbawe: 10:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
BlackBaron:

It's painful that while fuel subsidy has been abolished, the three tiers of Government do not see it fit to toe the line of austerity.

A reciprocal gesture to cut costs and merge ministries doesn't seem to be in the offing or happening anytime soon.

The cost of running this government alone in a third world country is probably more than any developed country I know of.

The multiplier effects alone . . . undecided  

Probably the WORST PRESIDENT on record.

"Fresh air" my brother.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Johnpaul2k2(m): 10:26pm On Jan 01, 2012
~Bluetooth:

My only pity is for the poor Nigerians jonathan deceived that he had no shoes.I wonder how they will make it when a former fisherman is making their lives so bitter.Shame on southerners for voting this iddiot into power.
this has been your life style  grin grin grin grin
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 10:26pm On Jan 01, 2012
Chubhie:

Where is that govt paid agent aka beaf? You think doing dirty jobs for your master and Pdp will grant you a place in heaven? Even the presidents own blood cannot defend a souless policy as this. A mere outsider like you selling your soul for crumbs. Posterity will judge your kind. You know by now that your cover has been blown?

Are you daft 7 days a week or is today just your Sunday?

@topic
There is no right time for harsh medicine; there is only "urgent time." There was no way Nigeria could ever sustain the subsidy, especially with the abolishing of the fuel queues; suddenly, the amount of fuel we imported sky-rocketted, as did the subsidy that paid for it. In the meantime, the subsidy wasn't producing jobs or generating increased revenue, so aside from N65.00 per litre, what was its purpose? Before GEJ, there were long fuel lines and people bought fuel from the blackmarket at exotic prices, so why will a structured package like the current one cause anything to go belly up?

The greatest benefit of the subsidy removal will be that for once, we will actually begin having truthful estimates of our annual fuel consumption which is overinflated every year to include smuggling to Benin Republic, Chad, Niger, Burkinafaso and Cameroon. Why should the Nigerian govt subsidise the economies of neighbouring countries?
NNPC will also lose the ability to issue licenses and take up a regulatory role. The PIB should also come on stream later on this year according to the FG and should be a serious game changer.

It is bitter, but necessary medicine for us to swallow. What we must do is ensure that the money is judiciously spent, if not we can match into the streets.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by purefella(m): 10:26pm On Jan 01, 2012
The problem this country has is too much of endurance , people will soon be used to the fuel subsidy removed
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by binhozie(m): 10:28pm On Jan 01, 2012
Shocked. So soon?
Chai. This is sad!!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by lastpage: 10:28pm On Jan 01, 2012
If Govt can double the price of PMS, why should a Landlord not double his House-rent or does he not buy fuel or pay transport in movinghis building materials?
Would Bricklayers not double their "daily charge" for work done?
Since we all buy some commodity or service from one another, ALL PRICES will simply double over-night!

The "knock-on effect" is better imagined!

But yet, salary will remain static (they have not even paid minimum wage o!), especially in the Private Sector!

Seriouly, l think GEJ just committed SUICIDE!

And if he thinks he can use the IBB style for us (raise it very high and then bring it down to like =N=120 so that he can claim to be humane),
he has failed before he even started!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 10:30pm On Jan 01, 2012
@beaf, since you have  turned full timme GEJ warrior here on Nairaland, answer these:
1) is removal of fuel subsidy the only way governmment can save money?
2) why are you not championing something  equally workable that won't negatively affect the citizenry like running a leaner government and slashing exorbitant salaries of public officials/legislators?
3) why should we trust this government to properly utilize any funds gained from removal of fuel subsidy givven that it has no track record of efficient management and smart expenditure?
4) what happens to those who were barely survivng on how things were, nnow that the fuel subsidy is gone and prices of goods/services are bound to skyrocket?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 10:31pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

Are you daft 7 days a week or is today just your Sunday?

@topic
There is no right time for harsh medicine; there is only "urgent time." There was no way Nigeria could ever sustain the subsidy, especially with the abolishing of the fuel queues; suddenly, the amount of fuel we imported sky-rocketted, as did the subsidy that paid for it. In the meantime, the subsidy wasn't producing jobs or generating increased revenue, so aside from N65.00 per litre, what was its purpose? Before GEJ, there were long fuel lines and people bought fuel from the blackmarket at exotic prices, so why will a structured package like the current one cause anything to go belly up?

The greatest benefit of the subsidy removal will be that for once, we will actually begin having truthful estimates of our annual fuel consumption which is overinflated every year to include smuggling to Benin Republic, Chad, Niger, Burkinafaso and Cameroon. Why should the Nigerian govt subsidise the economies of neighbouring countries?
NNPC will also lose the ability to issue licenses and take up a regulatory role. The PIB should also come on stream later on this year according to the FG and should be a serious game changer.

It is bitter, but necessary medicine for us to swallow. What we must do is ensure that the money is judiciously spent, if not we can match into the streets.
@bold, You'r really a slowpico for real!! You remember how you touted PIB being a game changer in 2011 , shameless wiggy,
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by charlsecy4(m): 10:32pm On Jan 01, 2012
N141/litre
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by iHustle(m): 10:33pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf or Pork or whatever you call yourself, you are just yarning RUBBISH. Just shutdown your PC and go and sleep, okay?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by texazzpete(m): 10:36pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

What we must do is ensure that the money is judiciously spent, if not we can match into the streets.

When your master distributed the $20 billion Excess Crude Account money to people who misused it, did you march into the streets?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by MAYOWAAK: 10:36pm On Jan 01, 2012
Good News: If U Voted for GEJ & NOT PDP. Just show your voters card @ filling station & get petrol at SUBSIDISED RATE of 65 Naira per litre. Those who did not vote GEJ will buy at new rate of up to 150 Naira per litre. Next time when you vote you wont vote with sentiments.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 10:37pm On Jan 01, 2012
Nigeria jagga jagga
Everything scatter scatter
Poor man dey suffer suffer
gbosa gbosa
Gun shots in the air

With Subsidy removal, Toll gates and Boko Haram, Idris was right after all!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by xwolverine: 10:38pm On Jan 01, 2012
iHustle:

Beaf or Pork or whatever you call yourself, you are just yarning RUBBISH. Just shutdown your PC and go and sleep, okay?

Trust me he won't
he is doing his job, that is what he is being paid to do. I wonder what will happen to his likes when the country descends into chaos and that his green pasport becomes useless. He is busy here defending senseless decisions, I bet he shows his comments on NL to his paymasters at the end of the month, to show that he is working before he gets paid.
We shall see.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ifeci: 10:40pm On Jan 01, 2012
increased revenue, so aside from N65.00 per litre, what was its purpose? Before GEJ, there were long fuel lines and people bought fuel from the blackmarket at exotic prices, so why will a
structured package
like the current one cause anything to go belly up?

so the federal Gvt has provided us with a structured black Market Abi? and who says the long fuel lines won't return to the stations now. Talking about the Greatest benefit of subsidy removal according to you, Shouldn't that be a boarder security issue rather than a problem that subsidy removal should resolve?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 10:42pm On Jan 01, 2012
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

@beaf, [s]since you have  turned full timme GEJ warrior here on Nairaland, [/s] answer these:
1) is removal of fuel subsidy the only way governmment can save money?
2) why are you not championing something  equally workable that won't negatively affect the citizenry like running a leaner government and slashing exorbitant salaries of public officials/legislators?
3) why should we trust this government to properly utilize any funds gained from removal of fuel subsidy givven that it has no track record of efficient management and smart expenditure?
4) what happens to those who were barely survivng on how things were, nnow that the fuel subsidy is gone and prices of goods/services are bound to skyrocket?

I will ask you a very simple set of questions instead:

[list]
[li]Do you know the meaning of true federalism?[/li]
[li]If your state governor or LG chairman was doing his job and your locality was churning out jobs and industries, would you be concerned about a N65.00 handout from Abuja?[/li]
[li]If you think Nigeria is phucked, because we cannot manufacture a single pin and states must beg for monthly upkeep from Abuja, why would you think you as an individual needs the same sort of welfare package when you are not disabled?[/li]
[/list]

Can you tell me if anyone on the wrong side of the above questions is on the right side of reality? Nigerians need to learn to think in the right way, too many years of phucked up anti-people govts have made us not to understand how a country should be run. Thank you.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 10:42pm On Jan 01, 2012
@iHustle

What beaf is saying is the unfortunate truth. And its sad that some parent wont be able to pay their tfare of their kids to school daily.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ifeci: 10:43pm On Jan 01, 2012
Nigeria jagga jagga
Everything scatter scatter
Poor man dey suffer suffer
gbosa gbosa
Gun shots in the air

With Subsidy removal, Toll gates and Boko Haram, Idris was right after all!

We really need the remix of that song cos the current situation is a perfect fit
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 10:45pm On Jan 01, 2012
xwolverine:

Trust me he won't
he is doing his job, that is what he is being paid to do. I wonder what will happen to his likes when the country descends into chaos and that his green pasport becomes useless. He is busy here defending senseless decisions, I bet he shows his comments on NL to his paymasters at the end of the month, to show that he is working before he gets paid.
We shall see.

Sadly, you are a dunce who goes personal when they lack the intellect to back up their id!otic arguments. I'm sure you fight in the streets everyday. Lol!

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (23) (Reply)

Buhari Nominates Akintunde Ibitayo Akinwande For NERC Chair, Drops Shasore / Sex Starvation Made Me Plan Husband’s Abduction – Wife / Message For Wike: American, Susan Mount, Calls Out Governor Over Oyigbo Killings

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.