Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,581 members, 7,978,925 topics. Date: Friday, 18 October 2024 at 05:01 PM

Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed (46408 Views)

Fuel Subsidy To Go Next Year. FG To Sell Petrol At 97 / Breaking News!!!!!!! : Fuel To Sell At N57/litre ? / Fuel Subsidy Removed - Full Transcript Of Press Release From The Pppra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ifeci: 9:19pm On Jan 01, 2012
There will be some pain, which is regretable. But it will turn for the better in the near future as the money saved is channelled into productive areas.
There is going to be very massive job creation in the millions this year as the FG promised the day before yesterday.

Oga u keep tlking about Money saved! How about money embezzelled? can't it be be channelled into the productive areas u spk about. this just means more loot available to Jona and his bois.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by kokoA(m): 9:21pm On Jan 01, 2012
Gej is a very heartless man. How can he just get up this morning and remove subsidy? Is naija his father's compound? I thought he said they were still engaging in discussions with civil society groups? He didn't even care about the state of the Nation! We are mourning for God's sake!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by miksonics(m): 9:22pm On Jan 01, 2012
i actually wonder what then the govt would be doing for me,why then do i pay taxes some answer me.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by 2sleek2NV(m): 9:23pm On Jan 01, 2012
quoted from punch news paper on twitter: bus fare from ikeja - ojuelegba increases from N120 - N250
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by k9ine(m): 9:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
jidewin:

There really. Was no subsidy in the first place.check this out:
1) One barrel of Crude oil = 42gallons or 159 litres
2) Our Refineries (i.e 4) Installed (combined)
capacity = 445,000 barrels per day
3) Actual refineries capacity due to
mismanagement = 30% i.e. 133,500 barrels per
day.
4) . . 133,500 barrels = 21.2 million litres
5) Local required consumption (F.O.S) = 12millions
litres.
, cool True cost of one litre of petroleum anywhere in
Nigeria;
- Total sum cost = $34.8
- 1ltr cost = $34.8/159 litres = $0.219
- Naira equiv.:$.219xN160= N35.02k
- Add Tax N5 + N35.02 = N40.02
(, ) 10) Locally refined products cannot be sold at
International price,
(, ) 12) What is LACKING, is the WILL to enforce LAW
ON CORRUPTION
God bless you, I knew this all along.
The roof will come crashing on their heads - bunch of Thieving, Deceptive, and Insentive govt people.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Remii(m): 9:25pm On Jan 01, 2012
2sleek2NV:

its is simple. choose between your generator and your car.

If it is that simple, it is fine,  because electricity has really improved around Lekki, so what we save in diesel cost would go to car fueling,

Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by goldng: 9:27pm On Jan 01, 2012
Lord have mercy!!!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by pato405(m): 9:28pm On Jan 01, 2012
, just watch & see how moni from subsidy will be enormously looted
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Gbawe: 9:29pm On Jan 01, 2012
ifeci:

Oga u keep tlking about Money saved! How about money embezzelled? can't it be be channelled into the productive areas u spk about. this just means more loot available to Jona and his bois.

Indeed. The biggest clue to back up what you say is how [b]we can all see [/b]that not one single person connected to the FG has seen a downgrade in their already hideously luxurious and overpaid existence yet GEJ has the nerve to tell us the economy will collapse if subsidy is not removed. No point saying too much here. We will see action speaking louder than words. Those who think ordinary Nigerians and the labour unions will be GEJ's biggest headaches have sadly not been paying attention. This wicked fuel subsidy removal could not have come at a worse time . GEJ and Okonjo Iweala miscalculated badly and I can give a million reasons I say that but why ruin the 'film experience' for Nigerians? Let everyone continue to watch events. It is not Rocket Science.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 01, 2012
confirmed from PPPRA site.

Price of petrol for the next 2 weeks will be

PMS: 1st January - 14th January, 2012 Maximum Indicative Benchmark Depot Price = N131. 66
Maximum Indicative Benchmark Open Market Price = N141. 00 from N65

Why did they lie to us that the removal would commence on April 1 2012?

How are we sure they arent lying about other things?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ShangoThor(m): 9:31pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

Stop talking like a malnourished toad.

You claimed that the UK subsidises fuel with reduced VAT! GBAGAUN!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

The UK does not subsidise fuel, instead it is taxed; in fact more than half the price of a litre at the pump goes to govt as taxes.
No developed country would do something as id!otic as subsidising fuel for consumption, that sort of fuckry only occurs in places like Nigeria where carpenters, hunters and rewires can aqcuire "Toronto" degree's from Oluwole and begin to lord it over genuine people. No industrialised country will subsidise fuel for consumption, that is the same as subsidising indolence.

All developed countries subsidise productive sectors of their economies like research, space industries, defence, health, manufacturing etc.

Please, learn in silence.

In the UK, 75% of the value of Petroleum is tax (V.A.T)

For every £10 spent on Petrol, £7.50 equates to V.A.T.; and £2.50 equates to the actual Value of the Fuel.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 9:31pm On Jan 01, 2012
l headr on BBC this afternoon like 3times l was surprised thought it was April 2012
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by BetaThings: 9:32pm On Jan 01, 2012
paddy_lo:

ok lets see. . In the past one yr, the price of crude has gone up,while the local currency the naira has depreciated in value

Yet the price of petrol(PMS) has been held artificially steady at N65.

Ladies and gentlemen this is no way to run an economy

There is no incentive to conserve the use of fuel as prices rise

no incentive to develop alternative sources of Energy,like EVs or SOLAR

Think for a moment if the US Govt came out after the personal computer was invented in 1980 and decided to intervene (and set prices)cause the cost was to high for the masses, there would be no apple,HP,Microsoft and all other IT innovators today that have brought down the price of a pc to commodity status

Again think for a moment,why subsidize fuel?.[b][color=#990000]why not bread,cement, drugs
. etc,the whole subsidy game is a slippery slope,that the GOVT best not get involved in.

Cheap fuel is a license to non critical reasoning,thats why the Europeans have huge taxes on fuel,so mass transport can bloom,the environment saved,and alternative energy developed.

Nigerians say they have Crude in their backyard so PMS should be cheap, but can they refine the crude by themselves [/b]without importing machines made elsewhere?, can we build a refinery without outside help?,if the answer in no we cant,then we dont deserve cheap fuel.

Let us get innovative for once,build this economy into a knowledge based one,and stop this laziness of the brain and body that we exhibit time after time

so yea am for subsidy removal,perhaps it will clear our cities of okada,and instead have us build trains,trams and subways

perhaps the next great invention like a car that runs on water or air will come from Nigeria. .

who knows. .

Happy new yr!!
[/color]

Even while calling for knowledge economy, you did not practise it in your unoriginal piece
We are asking govt to leave food, cement alone. Just focus on petrol and give us subsidy on that
Not every country with refining capability manufactures its refinery machinery
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by VoodooDoll(m): 9:33pm On Jan 01, 2012
I think GEJ may be a student of Machiavelli.  On this fuel subsidy thing I've stopped advocating against its removal. I'm now on observer status.  GEJ is the president. If you want cheaper fuel, please engage your state governor to make your state more competitive and independent of Abuja, or to speak to his party in the National Assembly to pass more business friendly laws.

The sooner Govt in Nigeria is shrunk, and Nigerians take back their birth rights the better for us all.

"Im not interested in preserving the status quo, I want to overthrow it"

"Severities should be dealt out all at once, so that their suddenness may give less offence; benefits ought to be handed out drop by drop, so that they may be relished the more".
- Machiavelli.

Me, I can barely afford the new price but "I no wan die. Papa dey for house, mama dey for house"
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by cashful(m): 9:33pm On Jan 01, 2012
Watching Fuel subsidy debate on channels TV,
the summary of all this issues is correct implementation of policies.
every policy choices has its own pros and cons, advantages and dis-advantages
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Nobody: 9:34pm On Jan 01, 2012
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Reference(m): 9:35pm On Jan 01, 2012
Nothing more to add on this matter. Glad right pricing is in effect. Fuel doesn't cost nothing to product. Like any commodity it has a cost and a very high one to the environment and those living in affected areas. It is left for Nigerians to think and work out solutions to her energy needs. It was the right thing to do.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by onome442(m): 9:36pm On Jan 01, 2012
it is true 141 naira for pms
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by efisher(m): 9:39pm On Jan 01, 2012
Did you know that research has shown that fuel subsidies discourage the development of energy efficient systems? When heads cool down a bit, I will give a little online lecture on "Energy Utilization and Energy Efficiency".

Activism is good but I prefer to be a part of those who make real impact in issues like this.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Gentleboby: 9:39pm On Jan 01, 2012
Some part of Ondo State at Ore and okitipupa town are begin to sell petrol at N160:00 per letre today
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by xwolverine: 9:40pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

There will be some pain, which is regretable. But it will turn for the better in the near future as the money saved is channelled into productive areas.
There is going to be very massive job creation in the millions this year as the FG promised the day before yesterday.

there will be some pain is the only meaningful explanation you can give? I wonder how much you are been paid to display your f.ool.ishness in public like this. To make matters worse, you back up arguments with false assertions, I doubt if your thirst for money has not beclouded your i.diotic brain cells. !diot. For you information, even if fuel is being taxed in the UK, the citizen irrespective of your reason, (as long as you have enough proof that you can't work) get paid monthly by the government. Do we have anything like this in that useless country called Nigeria? The answer is a big No. Even as a student back in the days, I earn over a thousand quid in a month with my research assistance job, can you say the same for a full time 9am to 5pm working graduate in nigeria? Next time you want to compare countries, compare them with sense, I assume you have one. Moafu.king ba.stard. angry angry
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 9:42pm On Jan 01, 2012
^
You are a filthy tongued, stone-headed swine, not worth engaging in debate.

Gentleboby:

Some part of Ondo State at okitipupa town are begin to sell petrol at N160:00 per letre today

They are committing a crime and we have every right to stop such people by whatever means. By law, the maximum price is N141.00; the deregulated fuel price has controls.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by aurenflani: 9:43pm On Jan 01, 2012
Typical of Nigerians. Those for & those against will continue with their rabble rattling hear inside the "talkshop" and get nowhere!

I U GUYS ARE REALLY FOR NIGERIA AND AND UR PPL & LATER GENERATIONS WE MUST COME TOGETHER & KICK ALL OF THESE PUPPETS, BOKO HARAM & THEIR RIVALS (D ELITE) BOTH GROUPS THAT ARE NOT SERVING ANYONE IN NIGERIA BUT THEIR FOREIGN MASTERS!

JOIN THE FACEBOOK CALL AND THEN MOBILISE NATIONWIDE. OCCUPY ABUJA!!!
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Akanbiedu(m): 9:43pm On Jan 01, 2012
Thumbs up Jonathan!!!

Now, sell those refineries.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by sheyguy: 9:43pm On Jan 01, 2012
efisher:

Did you know that research has shown that fuel subsidies discourage the development of energy efficient systems? When heads cool down a bit, I will give a little online lecture on "Energy Utilization and Energy Efficiency".

Activism is good but I prefer to be a part of those who make real impact in issues like this.
and do u know why energy generation is centralised at all
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Yeske2(m): 9:45pm On Jan 01, 2012
I'm speechless.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by cashful(m): 9:46pm On Jan 01, 2012
pato405:

, just watch & see how moni from subsidy will be enormously looted

like Ben Bruce played out a music for Ngozi (fin. minister), PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH
Thats the koko, if the money is used for the poorer people in the society, then the removal of the subsidy will be a celebrated one
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by efisher(m): 9:48pm On Jan 01, 2012
@ Sheyguy, do you mean power generation?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by Beaf: 9:49pm On Jan 01, 2012
sheyguy:

and do u know why energy generation is centralised at all

And do you know that the industrialised World is leading the call for decentralisation of energy generation (as you call it), because they have realised the gross errors they have made?
Guy, keep up to date with trends. We can't continue preaching that we grind pepper on stones, because our forefathers did it so.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by OmoTier1(m): 9:49pm On Jan 01, 2012
Beaf:

^
You are a filthy tongued, stone-headed swine, not worth engaging in debate.

They are committing a crime and we have every right to stop such people by whatever means. By law, the maximum price is N141.00; the deregulated fuel price has controls.
Run your mouth like idiot would! Now you know they are committing crime, hwo about the looting done by your pay master?
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by ifeci: 9:50pm On Jan 01, 2012

The only people we need to stop now is You advocating for Jona on NL and Jona himself from plunging us into untold hardship.
Re: Breaking News: Fuel Subsidy Removed by MAYOWAAK: 9:51pm On Jan 01, 2012
we were told to expect a bomb today. We misunderstood and thought it would be from boko haram. Little did we know that it would come from our dear president in the form of fuel deregulation. The bomb has been detonated.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (23) (Reply)

Femi Fani-Kayode Wears 'Isi Agu' Igbo Outfit. Nigerians React (Photos) / Checkout This Photo Of Coca-cola Customized With Buhari's Name / Olusegun Obasanjo Acts In Samuel Ajibola's Comedy Skit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.