Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,909 members, 7,872,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 05:04 AM

Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation - Politics (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation (114710 Views)

Adams Unaji Is Dead (Occupy Nigeria Activist) / Another Occupy Nigeria Protester Killed In Gasau, Zamfara? / Occupy Nigeria Protests: Locations And Dates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by gists: 9:53pm On Jan 06, 2012
DaLover:

hey, my point is not on fasholas political future but on the fact that there simply is no free meal any where, somebody somewhere pays the price, what is the price we pay for government running the down stream sector,
Big govt = big corruption,
small govt = small corruption
how do u achieve small govt, govt gets of of peoples way, allow free enterprise and market forces to prevail, govt concentrates on policy and regulation, external affairs, and a few others,

Govt is big when they run your down stream, upstream, schools, hospitals, railways, roads, why is this logic so damn difficult to understand, o i remember, the non tribalistic marketers from the SW must be instigating you to feel govt has to supply you your pms cheaply or die in droves,

For the last time what i am saying is that, the penduleun has swung the way of labour and the opposition now, what are they to do with it now, fight for free fuel or hold govt by the balls on reducing cost of governance

if it is to fight for cheap fuel which is not my birth right, count us ss out, you are with you marketers over there in lagos, please fight your own fight, if that is being a tribalist, then thank you very much

How do you hope to get instant result on the bolded without gov. telling you "we'll look into it" or "work is already in progress on that" Most of us subscribe to the sequence as listed in the pic alj hareem posted

Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by Remii(m): 9:55pm On Jan 06, 2012
honeric01:

This government is in deep poo, wait until next week to see the full force of the Nigerian people.

less than 700,000 armed personnel against more than 50 million people nation wide, we go see who go run.

but why would GEJ start a second war when he has not been able to win an ongoing one? BH guys killing innocent souls and now the whole populace protesting fuel price hike. Even world super powers don't do that.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by aljharem(m): 10:05pm On Jan 06, 2012
9ijaMan:

Mr DaLover,
I'm still waiting for you to translate what Alj Harem wrote below o! If you cannot translate your language o English, then you should simply keep mute and let those who care about the future of our great nation do their work without distractions from people like you who have no home.

Alj Harem,
Thanks for putting him in his place.

are you minding the mor.on. A beg brother just ignore the[b] tribalistic [/b]mumu. Who cares if Tinubu is SW, Uba is SE, dantata is NW, Ibori is SS etc who bloody cares. The iddeiot is looking at tribe but as God want do am Delta and Edo state protested Yesterday and today Port harcourt protest was the weakest ever.

all of a sudden[b] "I am Isoko turned to I am Igbo[/b]" I mean he is not even sure who he is anymore. Thinking he can fo.ol others that he is a SS he ended up fo.oling himself.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by aljharem(m): 10:07pm On Jan 06, 2012
gists:

How do you hope to get instant result on the bolded without gov. telling you "we'll look into it" or "work is already in progress on that" Most of us subscribe to the sequence as listed in the pic alj hareem posted

the guy is using tribalism to Judge his thinking. Please people just ignore him
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by gists: 10:09pm On Jan 06, 2012
Remii:

but why would GEJ start a second war when he has not been able to win an ongoing one? BH guys killing innocent souls and now the whole populace protesting fuel price hike. Even world super powers don't do that.

There are just two possibilities; either the man is super dumb as wanting to fight these two serious wars simultaneously, or he knows its his people (PDP) that are behind BH after-all, he said they're on top of the situation yet no tangible arrests or any meaningful progress what-so-ever.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by naija2012: 10:44pm On Jan 06, 2012
I do not think He is super dumb but I think he is not courageous to fight the CABAL or Corruption.

Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by aljharem(m): 10:59pm On Jan 06, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by mukina2: 11:17pm On Jan 06, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by aljharem(m): 11:34pm On Jan 06, 2012
people bring food and drinks in abuja protest
11.00pm today
[img]http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg736/scaled.php?tn=0&server=736&filename=gzfcqf.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640[/img]
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by kcoolx: 12:39am On Jan 07, 2012
It is very sad to note that our unproductive lawmakers earn more than the leaders of the developed economies. The figures below is definitely a smack on the sensibilities of Nigerians. The yearly salaries the leaders of the developed countries are:
1. President Barack Obama (USA)- $400,000.00
2. Prime Minister Davaid Cameron (UK) - $222,000.00
3. President Nicolas Sarkozy (France) - $302,000.00
4. Chancellor Angela Merkel (Germany) - $296,000.00
5. President Hu Jintao (China)- $11,000.00

Contrast the above with the yearly salaries of Nigerian Federal Lawmakers
1. Senator (Nigeria) - $1,100,000.00 (x 109)
2. Member, House of Representative (Nigeria) - $834,402.00 (x 360)

What are these lawmakers contributing to the growth and development of the Nigerian economy to deserve such hefty salaries? Just this week, there was massive pay cut (up to 52%) for politicians in Singapore. On which planet is Nigeria, an underdeveloped country, to afford such blatant waste of our very limited resources. Enough is Enough of this LOOTING OF OUR TREASURY.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by us4naija: 12:56am On Jan 07, 2012
The salaries of lawmakers is what Nigerians in my opinion need to be protesting not a fuesl subsidy that pays companies billions that already own billions
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by ramsombaba: 2:50am On Jan 07, 2012
INFACT I SUPPORT SUBSIDY BUT NOT THIS TIME WWW.COOLNAIJA.COM
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by NSNA: 4:01am On Jan 07, 2012
1. President Barack Obama (USA)- $400,000.00
2. Prime Minister Davaid Cameron (UK) - $222,000.00
3. President Nicolas Sarkozy (France) - $302,000.00
4. Chancellor Angela Merkel (Germany) - $296,000.00
5. President Hu Jintao (China)- $11,000.00

Contrast the above with the yearly salaries of Nigerian Federal Lawmakers
1. Senator (Nigeria) - $1,100,000.00 (x 109)
2. Member, House of Representative (Nigeria) - $834,402.00 (x 360)

too much to digest this information, Occupy Nigeria
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by mukina2: 9:20am On Jan 07, 2012
Kaduna, Govt deployin troops at Unity & Freedom Square
[img]http://c0014124.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_a46333c[/img]
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by DaLover(m): 9:29am On Jan 07, 2012
9ijaMan:

Mr DaLover,
I'm still waiting for you to translate what Alj Harem wrote below o! If you cannot translate your language o English, then you should simply keep mute and let those who care about the future of our great nation do their work without distractions from people like you who have no home.

Alj Harem,
Thanks for putting him in his place.

translation of my language to english is now the criteria that guages who cares for the nation? Well i wouldnt really say your line of reasoning is out of place, judging from majority of the post, i have seen on nairaland this period, funny thing is that when it comes to facts, figures and analysis you run for cover, critical questions that should be answered are left untouched and you join pretend nationalist like the resident boko haramist on this site to chase shadows,

If rioting for cheaper fuel tickles your fancy, please by all means go ahead, Please ensure u, the boko haramist and others on naira land join other youths on the streets,

My analysis on the matter is very simple,
If you acuse imf and world bank of trying to colonise nigeria with their free market policies, should someone call you a racist? I gues you would say no, now
if i accuse the key marketers, 80% of whom are from the SW of commiting economic crimes (to the tune on almost one third the national budget), do you think I should be called a tribalist.

How does it even make sence that people from the oil producing region of the country are not the at least controlling at least 50% of the downstream sector That another matter sha,

3 individuals or families have been identified as major marketers adenuga, tinubu and otedola? GEJ,s govt have said it connot procecute them for one reason or the other, they are not hidden, y on earth do you want the average niger delta man, who wasnt paying 65naira in the first palce to hit the streets so the marketters from SW can continue where they stopped?
I have been fighting againt the economic injustices being carried out directly or indirectly against the ND people since i started commenting on NL.

On the fuel subsidy issue, my clear stand is on govt deregulation, price increases happen to be a fall out of deregulation, Should govt be the one running the downstream sector? The clear answer is no, and why? Because it is not their primary responsibility, they are innefficient at doing it, even with minimal corruption, it is now worse when you mix in corruption.
Have you or your war mongers asked yourself why GEJ is makeing this unpopular move? Hope you know he doesnt need to remove subsidy to enrich himself to high heavens? To achieve that he just needs to continue borrowing money in nigerias name,
nigerians will of course be happy with cheap fuel, lagos marketters will be happy but ultimately u and i will have to pay,
Far back in primary school, we were thought that two wrongs dont make a right, govt has not eliminated corruption, so govt should hold on to the downstream sector and prevent people from setting up refineries, diversifying the economy, creating jobs etc etc,
For sure there will be hard times, but we need to quickly get to a place where we can start building up the middle class through creation of jobs, asking for freebies is not and should not be the priority, in fact i don tire for una, seems the sensible ones are not yet born

Labour should stop asking for cheap fuel, this amounts to playing to the galery, a strategy by the economic criminals and rent seekers to make the populace feel short term benefits are more rewarding than the ultimate goal of job and wealth creation.
labour should instead insist that the market be transperant, govt shold complete the deregulation process by selling off refineries immidiately, and desist from participating further in such business,
Check for duplication of functions in PPRA and DPR, if they exist, scap PPRA (as part of cost saving).
Ask serious questions on weather we need 2 houses of legislature? Insist on passing the 2012 budget with a reduced recurrent expenditure, ask serious questgions on security votes for governore, ask about funds for constitional projects for senators and HOR members, ask if we need 50 ministers and ministers of state, insist on sitting on a monitoring panel to monitor progress of key infrastructure projects, but if free fuel is all they can see, i just have to say sorry guys,
Oshomole at the lagos debate told his for labour comares how they should have probably for for subsidy on disel instead of fuel, because thats is what drives industry now, and creates jobs but they were short sighted, fighting a populist fight and gues were we are today
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by otokx(m): 1:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
My thought from day 1 is the un-sustainability of this protests giving the Nigerian scenario.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by mukina2: 2:16pm On Jan 07, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by beeke(m): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2012
A colonial official, Harold Smith, in a London television interview some years ago provided a window into the motives that informed British policies on Nigeria through the period of colonialism to independence. Hear him:

"When we assessed Nigeria, this was what we found in the southern region; strength, intelligence, determination to succeed, well established history, complex but focused life style, great hope and aspirations, the East is good in business and technology, the west is good in administration and commerce, law and medicine, but it was a pity we planned our agenda to give power "at all cost" to the northerner. They seemed to be submissive and stupid of a kind. Our mission was accomplished by destroying the opposition at all fronts. The west led in the fight for the independence, and was punished for asking for freedom. They will not rule Nigeria!"

[b]"Despite seeing vast land with no human but cattle in the north, we still gave the north 55 million instead of 32 million (in the census). This was to be used to maintain their majority votes and future power bid. The West without Lagos was the most populous in Nigeria at that time but we ignored that. The north was seriously encouraged to go into the military.We believed, that the south may attend western education,-but future leaders will always come from military background. Their traditional rulers were to be made influential and super human. The northerners were given acceleratcd promotions both in the military and civil service to justify their superiority over the south. Everything was to work against the south. We truncated their good plan for their future. I was very sorry for the A.G; it was a great party too much for African standard. We planned to destroy Awolowo and Azikwe, the west and the east and sowed a seed of discord among them. We tricked Azikiwe into accepting to be president having known that Balewa will be the main man with power. Awolowo had to go to jail to cripple his genius plans for a greater Nigeria. If Northern leaders have any agenda in Nigeria at all, sadly it is only for the north, and nothing for Nigeria. The time has come now to see people of intelligent minds with an open and inclusive agenda for all Nigerians in power, people who will really look after Nigeria's large population, her wealth, her potentials, her future."[/b]

Source: http://odili.net/news/source/2012/jan/6/601.html
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by mukina2: 2:24pm On Jan 07, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by mukina2: 2:29pm On Jan 07, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by executinal(m): 2:31pm On Jan 07, 2012
To hell with all this occupy Nigeria nonsense, Could this be true. Can some one withing this LG confirm this news just saw it on some one FB wall.

D-I-V-I-N-E I-N-T-E-R-V-E-N-T-I-O-N!!!!!!!!! G--O--D WHERE ARE YOU? THE WORLD'S MOST POPULOUS BLACK NATION IS AT THE VERGE OF BREAKING UP, DIDNT WE SEEK FOR DIVINE DIRECTION BEFORE CASTING OUR VOTES, BARELY A YEAR AGO? DO NOT ALLOW US TO PERISH AT THE HANDS OF THESE HEARTLESS LEADERS AND BOKO HARAM. YOUR PEOPLE ARE DYING OUT OF HARDSHIP AND WICKEDNESS, PLS COME TO OUR AID. Suleja is on fire at this moment.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by muta78: 2:44pm On Jan 07, 2012
As a matter of fact, subsidy removal is good economic policy to free the market but somethings need to be on ground before its full implementation viz: regular power supply, affordable and qualitative means of transportation and social security policy. Look at this; if power is regular in Nigeria, one does not need to fuel generator, kerosene/gas to cook which are cheaper in comparative terms. If railway is working between Lagos and Ibadan, one does not need to enter bus which is expensive so with these, fuel subsidy removal will have little effects on my finances and bills. Ghana deregulate downstream sector and citizens does not complain because it has little effect on their bills. A food for thought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by chuksikem(m): 2:45pm On Jan 07, 2012
some dumb fools are happy that el rufai turned up for the abuja protest grin grin

we are really dumb in this country, we have short memories, after all el rufai did to our econony and country,first as BPE chief and as fct minister, el rufai that paid his corper girlfriend in dollars, gave out lands to his mistress and family, now he is parading his short self as an activist, guess thats why most right thinking folks take this protest as a joke,

if we really want to protest, go and occupy the homes of those that wrecked our country and economy, those profiting from this fuel scam, the corrupt politicians,bankers and religious peeps,otedola's millions pounds boat/yacht is still parked at the waterfront opposite the american embassy in v.i, wale tinubu is busy expanding his business, ifeanyi uba is still making his billions, have we occupied the home of ibb??please you guys should get a life , not striking/protesting thereby denying the poor man that goes to work everyday his only legitimate source of livelihood.

Occupy nigeria is DOA if the struggle is just to remove fuel subsidy, attack the problem of corruption from the root.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by manny4life(m): 2:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
I have a proposal for the government

If states are allowed to control their resources, meaning that we can practice full federalism, states generate more revenue, FG can share the subsidy cost with the states based on volume usage per state. Subsidy is the ONLY thing Nigerians enjoy because it's part of our natural resources, even if it's NOT free at least affordable.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by binhozie(m): 2:51pm On Jan 07, 2012
mukina2:

Kaduna
[img]http://c0014124.r32.cf1.rackcdn.com/x2_a46c4c2[/img]

LIES!!
This placard tells a filthy lie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by vanstanzy(m): 2:55pm On Jan 07, 2012
shocked AM SHOCKED AT HOW DAFT GLJoe IS. HOW DOES HE THINK HE CAN DEFEAT A PEOPLES WILL. HE AINT MAN ENOUGH TO WRESTLE ORDINARY BOKO HARAM LET ALONE THE ENTIRE NIGERIA POPULACE( MINUS HIS FELLOW CRIMINALS IN POWER ). REMEMBER HOW GOD HARDENED PHAROAHS HEART AGAINST RELEASING THE ISREALITES? ME THINKS THATS WHATS HAPPENING TO GLJoe NOW. HE'S FLEXING HIS MUSCULES NOW EHN! angry angry angry
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by sleekman(m): 3:05pm On Jan 07, 2012
Sanusi's argument is this: Marketer A imports 5MTof PMS, bribes his way through customs and claims he imported 25MT of PMS. Sanusi's Solution: Remove d fuel subsidy. My Question: in this age of technology and computers are they saying it is impossible to monitor d amount of fuel imported into this country? If it's impossible to monitor inbound fuel it then goes to show that outbound crude oil isn't monitored.
My Solution: I call for d immediate dissolution of d management of NNPC and Customs & call for their probe by a foreign audit firm. A foreign audit firm in partnership with Oracle or SAP can create the right inventory process for these agencies. Furthermore, the prosecution of all parties involved. They have to explain their fat accounts including that of their spouses and children. Enuf is enuf.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by mukina2: 3:08pm On Jan 07, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by mikey2fin: 3:14pm On Jan 07, 2012
Should we all not protesting about CORRUPTIONS and BOKO.H killing of Christians in Nigeria instead of Fuel Subsidy.
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by kels001: 3:18pm On Jan 07, 2012
now that the subsidies have been remove i reckon that the prices of cement will soon be 3-4000 naira for a bag, no we cant take or tolerate this no more, enough is enough this has got to end and nowwwwwwwwwwwwww
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by mukina2: 3:32pm On Jan 07, 2012
Re: Occupy Nigeria: Updates From Across The Nation by megaomo(m): 3:50pm On Jan 07, 2012
''The cost of a new refinery is pretty nebulous, but my best estimates is about $1,000 - 5,000 per (barrel per stream day capacity), depending on the capacity of the refinery.  The lower the capacity the lower the unit bpd cost.

For example, a 20,000 bpd capacity refinery may cost $20 million, while a 100,000 bpd capacity refinery might cost $500 million.

For example, in Nigeria, I recently read that the 12,000 bpd topping modular refinery for Akwa-Ibom  is for $10 million, while the 100,000 bpd complex refinery being touted for Tonwei Refinery in Bayelsa is estimated at $1.2 billion.'' Source http://www.dawodu.com.

My fellow nigerians are we then saying that we dont have this kind of money to build new refineries,and that we need to remove subsidy before it can be done? The GEJ administration is trying to use tecnical grammer to scam us.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (34) (Reply)

President Buhari's 'Louboutin' Shoes Got People Talking (Photos) / 28+ Funny Photos Of Jonathan Vs Buhari Presidential Battle / 10 Most Developed State Capitals In Nigeria-opinion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.