Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,128 members, 7,887,264 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 05:11 AM

Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: (14037 Views)

Why Are Yorubas Not Protesting The Fulanis Forceful Occupation Of Kwara??? / Photo: Why Is APC Not Protesting In Front Of The White House? / Northern Leader in LAgos Ask Nigerians Why They Are Not Protesting Against BH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Rossikk(m): 11:00pm On Jan 09, 2012
obowunmi said:

Ghanaians don't have Boko Horam, they have light, and they have water , 

stop with the foolish comparison

Stop talking rubbish. Or at least go and research before spewing propaganda. The fact is that less than 35% of the Ghanaian population are connected to their national grid, and those who are, do experience power cuts, so they have  severe power shortages. And they also have a substantial segment of the population lacking access to  clean drinking water and other basic amenities. SO STOP THE PROPAGANDA.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by psalmizt(m): 3:06am On Jan 10, 2012
johnie:

GNPA), Alex Mould, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.

[size=20pt]Reuters reports that Ghana, which joined the club of oil producers in West Africa last year, has come under increased pressure from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to remove the fuel subsidies[/size].

[size=20pt]The IMF has urged countries across West and Central Africa to cut fuel subsidies, which they say are not effective in directly aiding the poor, but rather promote corruption and smuggling. The past months have seen governments in Nigeria, Guinea, Cameroon and Chad moving to cut state subsidies on fuel.[/size]

What is it with all these IMF policies? And yet Ngozi Okonjo Wahala keeps saying this subsidy removal isn't an IMF/World Bank agenda. I am scared for this nation. Since when has the world bank been passionate about Africans. I pity our leaders who take whateva the whiteman says hook line and sinker, may they all sink with their ANTI-PPL policies.
To the question of comparing Nigerians with Ghanians. Here are a few points to consider:
1. Ghanians over the years have leaders that answerable to their ppl.
2. Ghanians as claimed have a minimum wage corresponding to #64000 while Nigeria's is #18000.
3. The fuel subsidy removal was phased over a period (Which even advocated as a solution in Nigeria)
4. The eventual removal resulted in 12% increase in the cost of PMS, while in Nigeria it's between 160%-316%.
As it stands, the price of everything has gone up the only PALLIATIVE being put forward by the De facto Prime minister of Nigeria is transportation. This is evident in their mad rush for the 1,100 buses. No body has spoken about the cost of food, cost of all basic amenities.
I strongly blv that Fuel Subsidy Removal isn't the only solution to the problem of this nation. I will like to liken the actions of the FG to cutting off the head as the solution to a mere headache. You came out to tell the whole that the system of subsidy is flawed, why not sanitise the system 1st. Now you have removed the fuel subsidy as your solution, the system remains flawed as always and corruption GLORIFIED on the pages of newspapers. Mr president pls toll the path of Honour and stop comparing us to Nations that basic amenities of life. Never you say that Fuel Subsidy Removal will bring lasting solution to the Gamut of problem in Nigeria. Some of which have been since time immemorial.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by emmatok(m): 3:13am On Jan 10, 2012
Rossikk:

obowunmi said:

Stop talking rubbish. Or at least go and research before spewing propaganda. The fact is that less than 35% of the Ghanaian population are connected to their national grid, and those who are, do experience power cuts, so they have  severe power shortages. And they also have a substantial segment of the population lacking access to  clean drinking water and other basic amenities. SO STOP THE PROPAGANDA.

HA, another propaganda.

You should be have lectured those Nigerian companies leaving for Ghana.

You want compare electricity generation in Ghana to Nigeria.?

Or the in-fracture in Ghana to Nigeria.

The Ghanaians won't feel fuel price increase because they have better alternative to fuel.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by koruji(m): 3:21am On Jan 10, 2012
efisher: Ghanians have displayed far more maturity than Nigerians. We are acting like a bunch of spoilt kids.

You praying for maturity?

May a mature fish-bone stuck in efisher's throat in the next couple of days?
May there be no one around willing to "subsidize" efisher with a Heimlich Maneuver?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by psalmizt(m): 3:24am On Jan 10, 2012
koruji:

May a mature fish-bone stuck in efisher's throat in the next couple of days?
May there be no one around willing to "subsidize" efisher with a Heimlich Maneuver?

That's so harsh, Do not wish a broda so much evil. The truth is this is a democracy (or so they all want us to blv) and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by kafero(m): 3:28am On Jan 10, 2012
Because members of their National Assembly are not taking home 300 million naira monthly - and, also because their President is not planning to spend 1 billion naira on his feeding in 2012.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by koruji(m): 3:46am On Jan 10, 2012
Oh really, have you looked at the picture of one man alive one moment obviously unharmed, dead the next just because he protested against subsidy removal?

Look, let me tell you if I catch efisher, Beaf or GEJ choking on groundnut today I will not give them the Heimlich Maneuver until they have provided to me $1 million in cash.

Is that harsh enough for you?

That my friend is what GEJ's policies mean to the average Nigerian.

psalmizt:

That's so harsh,  Do not wish a broda so much evil. The truth is this is a democracy (or so they all want us to blv) and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Jay5000(m): 4:15am On Jan 10, 2012
Rephrasing the popular Adolf Hitler quote; i completely agree that "anyone who sees clearly and yet equates 15% to 125-200% or compares Nigeria to US should be sterilized." In the same vein, "any free and rational thinking human who believes that it is fair for less than 500 members of the legislature to gulp N1.2 trillion in a year in salaries and allowances but unreasonable for 160million Nigerians to enjoy a N1.3 trillion subsidy should also be sterilized."  Those who also think that N1.3trillion will transform a country that a N4+ trillion-a-year budget has not been able to do should also be sterilized. The seed of such people pose a direct threat to future generations of Nigerians.

For the subsidy to have increased from 300billion in 2010 to 1.3trillion in 2011 gives you an idea of the level of corruption we are dealing with here, and yet the government is not interested in investigating the fraud or prosecuting the fraudsters. It just wants to remove the subsidy and cause double digit inflation "for our own good. " Open your eyes people. Implementing any policy in this corrupt country will be tantamount to planting cassava on a concrete floor and expecting it to grow -  "you go old where u dey wait"
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by psalmizt(m): 4:20am On Jan 10, 2012
Jay5000:

Rephrasing the popular Adolf Hitler quote; i completely agree that "anyone who sees clearly and yet equates 15% to 125-200% or compares Nigeria to US should be sterilized." In the same vein, "any free and rational thinking human who believes that it is fair for less than 500 members of the legislature to gulp N1.2 trillion in a year in salaries and allowances but unreasonable for 160million Nigerians to enjoy a N1.3 trillion subsidy should also be sterilized."  Those who also think that N1.3trillion will transform a country that a N4+ trillion-a-year budget has not been able to do should also be sterilized. The seed of such people pose a direct threat to future generations of Nigerians.

For the subsidy to have increased from 300billion in 2010 to 1.3trillion in 2011 gives you an idea of the level of corruption we are dealing with here, and yet the government is not interested in investigating the fraud or prosecuting the fraudsters. It just wants to remove the subsidy and cause double digit inflation "for our own good. " Open your eyes people. Implementing any policy in this corrupt country will be tantamount to planting cassava on a concrete floor and expecting it to grow -  "you go old where u dey wait"

Couldn't have said any better. it's 150-200% if you take #200 as your upper band. I hope you are aware that some ppl buy petrol for as much as #300 now; NOI, SLS, GEJ and their policy sommersault.

Good one with the statement in bold
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by kizito96(m): 4:27am On Jan 10, 2012
Ghana has a focused Government with checks and balances.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by GboyegaD(m): 4:32am On Jan 10, 2012
Now I know why Nigeria may never develop. It is simply because we have too many religious and ethnic bigots who are blindfolded by their stupidity. How dare you compare Ghana with Nigeria? A country that has right and organised systems in place with one who does not even know what a system ise; A country with lower unemployment wage and better salaries to one with extreme unemployment situation and terrible salaries amongst others. There is simply no basis for comparison in this case and people should grow up and stop being silly.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by emiye(m): 4:37am On Jan 10, 2012
More than HALF of the petrol supplies is used to fuel generators, because of epileptic power supply in Nigeria.

Is power supply epileptic in Ghana ?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by GboyegaD(m): 4:40am On Jan 10, 2012
Rossikk:

obowunmi said:

Seems you just heard the word propaganda and you really do not know its exact meaning because you are the one involved in what you are accusing someone else on.

Jay5000:

The reason he cannot probe it is because he was the ones who embezzled the funds. Where did you think he got the monies he spent campaigning from? He kept spending money and they kept adding it to subsidy since they know there is no check against them and besides, those who should probe it are also beneficiaries. Nigerians have sold their birth rights.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by tinnymerit(m): 4:52am On Jan 10, 2012
i pity those that called nigerians lazy people,any country that 9igerians is not,there is no life there even in the war thorn Iraq nd libya they are many there.well nobody should trust GEJ even our dogs,govt that repairs Aso rock gate with 75millions,and bought bullet proof cars with 280 millions,december 31 2010,he shared 1billion dollars to his friends,the pdp primary he spent money like water,the minimum bribe he gave was 5000 dollars per head multiply that by almost 2 thousands that voted for him.In 2110,subsidy was like 280 billions how on earth it increased to 1.4 trillion,money that has not gotten but has been shared btw 3 tiers of govt(400 for fed govt,400 for states,200 for lg and 31.6 for other miscellanouces).mind you the senators just received 15 millions each for wardrobe allowance multiply that by ard 360 of them nd see what u'l get.we have 3 refineries without anyone of them working or not working to standards when struggling Iraq has 7 functioning refineries and 9 under constructions.The countries under OPEC that have removed subsidies relied on their refined oil and not on importation of fuel.most of the rich are not affected because they have refineries in south Africa nd saotome and principe.if the fed govt can build refineries and put things in place Nigerians are ready to buy fuel for #500.how can less than 1000 people sharing and spending 2.5 trillions out of 4.3 trillions at the expense of 167 millions nigerians and you expect people to keep mute.its neva done any where. Ghana has light and good roads and how many pple buy fuel for generator in Ghana?.9ja govt is not even ashamed to earmarked 35 millions for Aso rock generators.ahhhhhhh!.so we have more than 150 millions govt in 9ja because every family has borehole and personal electricity(generators).
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by demoise: 5:25am On Jan 10, 2012
@ DARAPTURE dont be a slowpoke or can i say u are just the real definition of stupid or fool and MAY GOD PUNISH U FOR NOT BEING SINCERE early last year pple were complaining bout high price of gas here in the US tho there was no riot and there was never a time the price of gas was increased by 100% i dont know y u make some comparision without thinking is just like saying why is a bently sedan car more expensive than a kia sedan car even tho they have four doors common sense shld tell u they r both cars and they cant be the same one is a bently and the other is a kia how can u compare the little increase in price of gas in US to that of NIGERIA in the US U AND I know if you are underpaid u can still get moni from govt talkless being unemployed u can ride on light rail,CTA and the likes of that and stay independent of buying gas if u cant afford it do u have that in Nigeria you dont need to buy gas for electricity in ur house in US but in 9ja ur generator is running so always think before u talk dont just talk because u wanna say somthing ODE OPONU AYERADA OSHI I HOPE U ARE YORUBA SO U UNDERSTAND THAT angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by moshoodn(m): 5:29am On Jan 10, 2012
Moderators please, not every daft posts should make it to the homepage. . .
Sub-intellect comparision!
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by dasparrow: 5:42am On Jan 10, 2012
tinnymerit:

i pity those that called nigerians lazy people,any country that 9igerians is not,there is no life there even in the war thorn Iraq nd libya they are many there.well nobody should trust GEJ even our dogs,govt that repairs Aso rock gate with 75millions,and bought bullet proof cars with 280 millions,december 31 2010,he shared 1billion dollars to his friends,the pdp primary he spent money like water,the minimum bribe he gave was 5000 dollars per head multiply that by almost 2 thousands that voted for him.In 2110,subsidy was like 280 billions how on earth it increased to 1.4 trillion,money that has not gotten but has been shared btw 3 tiers of govt(400 for fed govt,400 for states,200 for lg and 31.6 for other miscellanouces).mind you the senators just received 15 millions each for wardrobe allowance multiply that by ard 360 of them nd see what u'l get.we have 3 refineries without anyone of them working or not working to standards when struggling Iraq has 7 functioning refineries and 9 under constructions.The countries under OPEC that have removed subsidies relied on their refined oil and not on importation of fuel.most of the rich are not affected because they have refineries in south Africa nd saotome and principe.if the fed govt can build refineries and put things in place Nigerians are ready to buy fuel for #500.how can less than 1000 people sharing and spending 2.5 trillions out of 4.3 trillions at the expense of 167 millions nigerians and you expect people to keep mute.its neva done any where. Ghana has light and good roads and how many pple buy fuel for generator in Ghana?.9ja govt is not even ashamed to earmarked 35 millions for Aso rock generators.ahhhhhhh!.so we have more than 150 millions govt in 9ja because every family has borehole and personal electricity(generators).

Well said. This subsidy issue is giving me a headache and potential high blood pressure. Nigeria seems to be a lost cause and being a Nigerian to me has been more of a curse than of a blessing. Where in the world do politicians get money for wardrobe allowance? only Nigeria! I am ashamed of our leaders, really ashamed. They have sold our birthrights for a plate of porraidge! Nigeria which way? vultures in far away lands are waiting patiently for things to spiral out of control in Nigeria so that they can come in and take control of our resources. God is watching and the cry of his children will not be ignored!
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by dasparrow: 5:44am On Jan 10, 2012
demoise:

@ DARAPTURE dont be a slowpoke or can i say u are just the real definition of silly or fool and MAY GOD PUNISH U FOR NOT BEING SINCERE early last year pple were complaining bout high price of gas here in the US tho there was no riot and there was never a time the price of gas was increased by 100% i dont know y u make some comparision without thinking is just like saying why is a bently sedan car more expensive than a kia sedan car even tho they have four doors common sense shld tell u they r both cars and they cant be the same one is a bently and the other is a kia how can u compare the little increase in price of gas in US to that of NIGERIA in the US U AND I know if you are underpaid u can still get moni from govt talkless being unemployed u can ride on light rail,CTA and the likes of that and stay independent of buying gas if u cant afford it do u have that in Nigeria you dont need to buy gas for electricity in your house in US but in 9ja your generator is running so always think before u talk dont just talk because u wanna say somthing ODE OPONU AYERADA OSHI I HOPE U ARE YORUBA SO U UNDERSTAND THAT angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

Darapture no be Naija sef. Na akata him be. Just ignore him.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Drlumi: 5:54am On Jan 10, 2012
Honestly, its difficult to be civil on NL. We know there are people who support the current government stance and it's okay- you are entitled to your opinion. But being pro-GEJ is no excuse for stupidity.

How dare you compare Ghana with Nigeria? How dare you accuse Nigerians of behaving like spoilt kids? Do spoilt kids earn a pittance while their fathers earn billions? Besides the so-called subsidy, what else does government provide for Nigerians? If things were working well, should Ghana even be the standard for Nigeria in the first case?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by otumfour(m): 6:28am On Jan 10, 2012
Rossikk:

obowunmi said:

wht is this fo0l on abt tho undecided , if it makes u feel any better, by posting such deluded crap; fine! wit cretins like this walking around, why won't ur ''top dogs'' keep baggin' 'em $$, point of correction tho' our lights don' be going off by heart. shixt! I don' remember the last time ma lights went off lol! shixt! I don't even remember the last time I saw ma generator, GBAWE said this on the other thread, we don't really depend much on generators like y'all so this should be of great concern to Nigerians.

btw, I personally don't think Nigerians are lazy people, if there's one thing I admire abt Nigerians, it will be ur zeal! tht been said most of y'all talk big, but are as scared as furk, wit all ur big talk and shixt, I feel ur leaderz be raping y'all too much, can't u guys find a Rawlings in ur giagantic population?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Oluti(m): 6:39am On Jan 10, 2012
I have always thought I could forgive people anything, now I know better. May the beef, efisher and all the others in Nairaland die violently in their sleep before this thing is over one way or another for their annoying posts.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Sike(m): 6:49am On Jan 10, 2012
Drlumi:

Honestly, its difficult to be civil on NL. We know there are people who support the current government stance and it's okay- you are entitled to your opinion. But being pro-GEJ is no excuse for stupidity.

How dare you compare Ghana with Nigeria? How dare you accuse Nigerians of behaving like spoilt kids? Do spoilt kids earn a pittance while their fathers earn billions? Besides the so-called subsidy, what else does government provide for Nigerians? If things were working well, should Ghana even be the standard for Nigeria in the first case?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by ismhab(m): 7:10am On Jan 10, 2012
Because they don't know their own God given right, they want the weaked government to sucked them like milk.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Nobody: 7:18am On Jan 10, 2012
Oluti:

I have always thought I could forgive people anything, now I know better. May the beef, efisher and all the others in Nairaland die violently in their sleep before this thing is over one way or another for their annoying posts.

Honestly, some of you people are extremely vulgar and painfully uncouth. Some of you would be worse than hitler if given a position of power.

You expect everyone to tow your line of opinion and not put out theirs?  Your type irritates the hell out of me so on behalf of every rational, right thinking human being that has not gone insane like you lot, I say back to sender with your curses on fellow nairalanders expressing their opinions.

By the way, if you have ever heard of anyone dying ''violently'' in their sleep, then you need psychiatric help asap.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by efisher(m): 7:21am On Jan 10, 2012
@Bandit, thanks for addressing that poster. I read d post but I simply ignored it because it's just a waste of time. As they say, "Empty barrels make the loudest noise".
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by johnstar(m): 7:24am On Jan 10, 2012
Dats a useless qust, do not compare our country 2 ders ohk. Punk lyk u
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Nobody: 7:25am On Jan 10, 2012
efisher:

@Bandit, thanks for addressing that poster. I read d post but I simply ignored it because it's just a waste of time. As they say, "Empty barrels make the loudest noise".

You are welcome my brother. Those irritants *spits*
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by dustydee: 7:25am On Jan 10, 2012
We are Nigerians not Ghanians ask them when you see them. By the way they envy us that we have the courage to stand up to our leaders.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by ziccoit: 7:28am On Jan 10, 2012
Because Ghana leaders are not broad daylight arm robbers like GEJ and his cohorts both in and outside the government.
My prof of radiology , consultant cardiothoracic & vascular surgeon, consultant orthopedic surgeon (FRCS) and host of important personalities joined the protest. You can't tell me these don't know what they are doing. These people monthly income is enough to make them more than comfortable. Yet they come out of their comfort zone to tell the world how corrupt GEJ is.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by nku5: 7:33am On Jan 10, 2012
Because the ppl have confidence in their government
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by kponmo: 7:45am On Jan 10, 2012
stiyke wat eva ur name is , u are a big fool, daft and senseless for saying nigerians are lazy and want to be spoon fed by govt, useless being.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Nobody: 7:46am On Jan 10, 2012
ziccoit:

Because Ghana leaders are not broad daylight arm robbers like GEJ and his cohorts both in and outside the government.
My prof of radiology , consultant cardiothoracic & vascular surgeon, consultant orthopedic surgeon (FRCS) and host of important personalities joined the protest. You can't tell me these don't know what they are doing. These people monthly income is enough to make them more than comfortable. Yet they come out of

their comfort zone to tell the world how corrupt GEJ is.

If you think the removal of subsidy from pms shows corruption, then you know nothing about economics and how subsidies work and should stick to your "radiology"

The problem is what guarantee do Nigerians have that the money saved from subsidy would be used adequately and not whether subsidy should go which is a given.

Mostly the infant, emerging industries and agricultural sector are normally subsidized for obvious reasons and not overtly competitive markets like oil and gas.

Nations thrive on competition which breeds exposure and growth and as long as you depend on subsidized goods, that competition eludes you and you would forever stay a consuming nation with no potential.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

National Assembly Members Know What Is Good For APC – Tambuwal. / Buba Marwa Gives Them Bloody Nose - By Femi Adesina / Orji Kalu Visits Sani Musa Over APC Chairmanship (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.