Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,824 members, 7,872,763 topics. Date: Wednesday, 26 June 2024 at 09:18 PM

Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: (14024 Views)

Why Are Yorubas Not Protesting The Fulanis Forceful Occupation Of Kwara??? / Photo: Why Is APC Not Protesting In Front Of The White House? / Northern Leader in LAgos Ask Nigerians Why They Are Not Protesting Against BH (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by studyineu: 7:48am On Jan 10, 2012
Anyone comparing Ghana and Nigeria is like comparing Heaven with Hell Fire. Ghana has all the amenities that make life easier. 247 power supply, do we have that?
Public Water and Good Roads, do we have that?.
Probably anyone comparing Ghana with Nigeria haven't been to Ghana before. How much does their top officials earn and how much does our own earn. Now tell me who is deceiving who. Ghana that used to look up to Nigeria has now Given Nigeria 1000 yards of developmen due to Good leaders in Ghana. Here in Nigeria what do we have, the type of David Mark that loves been paid more than Obama and Cameroun. I pity this country. A Revolution must take place if the top officials refuse to cut their salary by 80%. PERIOD if de vex cause of my writeup let them go and kiss naked wire
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by TBrownAuto(m): 8:11am On Jan 10, 2012
Poverty has blind folded nigerian I do say it that we are educated ilitrate imagine the comparison of an Oil giant nation with those that import
because our leader has turn the country wealth into family property do not really mean we are goat.

Who so ever compare Nigeria and Ghana is a fool of highest order, well no need to say more when we were only given education without knowledge and poverty has made us to understand corruption is the way to sucess
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by igilarity: 8:15am On Jan 10, 2012
my boss who was born and bred in Ghana, married to Ghanaian said Ghana celebrated one yr uninterrupted power supply sometime last yr. small businesses and companies don't depend on fuel to survive. companies are relocating to Ghana cos of the crippling burden of diesel prices. here, life practically depends on fuel, including healthcare.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by studyineu: 8:22am On Jan 10, 2012
@TBrownauto, Nigerians are not goats but our leaders are Goats. Let's face reality, Can Nigeria ever challenge Ghana in anything? Answer me. I have been to Ghana and stayed one week, througout my one week stay there electricity didn't for 1 second blink or taken. 24hrs steady Light. Are we not they ones that were giving ghana electricty before now see where they are and see where we are. Have you ever experienced 1 full day of power supply in Nigeria. So now tell me what makes us giant of africa. Am eager to hear it
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Nobody: 8:25am On Jan 10, 2012
[size=15pt][b]You people dodge the truth answer. Because Ghanians are not Stupid ?[/size][/b]
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by prodam(m): 8:28am On Jan 10, 2012
studyineu:

@TBrownauto, Nigerians are not goats but our leaders are Goats. Let's face reality, Can Nigeria ever challenge Ghana in anything? Answer me. I have been to Ghana and stayed one week, througout my one week stay there electricity didn't for 1 second blink or taken. 24hrs steady Light. Are we not they ones that were giving ghana electricty before now see where they are and see where we are. Have you ever experienced 1 full day of power supply in Nigeria. So now tell me what makes us giant of africa. Am eager to hear it

On Point

igilarity:

my boss who was born and bred in Ghana, married to Ghanaian said Ghana celebrated one yr uninterrupted power supply sometime last yr. small businesses and companies don't depend on fuel to survive. companies are relocating to Ghana cos of the crippling burden of diesel prices. here, life practically depends on fuel, including healthcare.

exactly!!!
here in NIgeria, some business cannot even  be started without "secondary electricity(fuel)",
so no comparison and cant be use a yardstick to checkmate our protest and strike actions,
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by agog: 8:32am On Jan 10, 2012
In Ghana,the road is good and people don't depend on electricity because light is stable
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by nnasino(m): 8:47am On Jan 10, 2012
who set the salaries and allowances of these our stupid and evil leaders? It's not like that even in the us. And they want to remove subsidy which their allowances can pay. This is so annoying. Ghana should not be compared to nigeria cos there is no light, no railway, no water, no good leaders, boko haram, ASUU strike etc in nigeria while none of that exists in ghana. I think we shoule protest against corrupt governance in nigeria instead of subsidy removal. No more allowances, take only your basic salary.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by ziccoit: 8:48am On Jan 10, 2012
Bandit C.:

If you think the removal of subsidy from pms shows corruption, then you know nothing about economics and how subsidies work and should stick to your "radiology"

The problem is what guarantee do Nigerians have that the money saved from subsidy would be used adequately and not whether subsidy should go which is a given.

Mostly the infant, emerging industries and agricultural sector are normally subsidized for obvious reasons and not overtly competitive markets like oil and gas.

Nations thrive on competition which breeds exposure and growth and as long as you depend on subsidized goods, that competition eludes you and you would forever stay a consuming nation with no potential.

I know it is a culture here that many couldn't engage in constructive argument without recourse to abuse.
You don't think people's fears on weather Gej would do the right thing with money accrue from subsidy  is hang on corruption? What do you think happen to our excess crude oil account and external reserves? Why do you think 2012 budget will have to be financed from borrowing if subsidy is not remove? Why gej has to allocate 1billion for feeding and crazy amount to other spurious projects? Why does he has to maintain the status quo which has been proved to be a failure? Why did he have to travel to SA for a political rally on our national resources with 2 jetful of entourages a few minutes he asked us to sacrifice and endure pains?
  You need to go and write this down, Jona will still misspend and émbezzle the proceeds from subsidy and come back eventually to blame cabals, if he has his way ( God forbid) . You will forever buy fuel above 141 no matter what until the present system is dismantled and reorganised, forget about competition.
In conclusion mistrust or lack of trust is all about GEJ being corrupt contrary to what people initially thought before he was christened fresh air.
I wasn't and still not among the deceiveds. What is his track record as dep gov/gov for 8yrs in Bayelsa?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Toks2008(m): 8:57am On Jan 10, 2012
When i see posts like this making the front page contents i regret registering on this forum.

Seems so many people on this forum are either illetrates or very foolish in their reasoning.

FOR CRYING OUT LOUD~ NO ONE IS REALLY AGAINST SUBSIDY REMOVAL BUT NOT OVER 100% HYKE.

Ghana government only increased pump price by 15/30% and not over 100% as done by our visioness governments and ofcourse that was done after much consultation and not through deceit like our Callous president did after allaying our fears that the subsidy removal has ben suspended till April.

So please i will advice anyone who knows he is not well informed or dogmatically daft to desist from making posys here abi na by force to post comments? Habba
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by SirKay3(m): 9:03am On Jan 10, 2012
Reading through the thread, it seems most people dont know what is obtainable in Ghana compared with Nigeria's situation in respect of oil subsidy. I'm resident in Accra, Ghana and in my third year with my wife and kids. Here in Ghana, petrol price has always been high compared with Nigeria's. It used to be GHc1.30 (One Cedi Thirty Pesewas - Equivalent of #135 in 2009), later increased to about GHc1.55 and recently GHc1.75. Price of LPG was reviewed too, a 14.5kg, which was going going for GHc15.30 (#1,570.00) before now, was increased to GHc19.70 (#2,000.00).

One thing that goes for Ghanaians is that their economy is growing daily, while cost of living though high here too, but there are alternatives to spend on. An average Ghanaian doesnt joke with local foods like Banku, Kenkey, Wakye, Koko & Kose, Kokonte etc, while most Nigerians prefer the fast foods. They do have fast food joints here too, but it's not a frequent thing to them.

Most of the vehicles here run on LPG, mostly the taxis, while most homes uses the same LPG that we use in Nigeria for cooking. We use 14.5kg cylinder in my house and it lasts for 2months (we all know that 12.5kg in Nigeria lasts for just 3weeks). Light is regular, though not in most places across Ghana, about 90% have regular supply of light. Most houses uses energy saver bulbs, unlike the usual 200watts bulbs in Nigeria. On a monthly basis, I pay GHc45.00 (#4,650.00) per month on my prepaid meter for electricity, that is regular and I've got appliances that consumes light at home (cooker, water heaters, AC and washing machine). My house is supplied by public water, for which I pay just GHc17.50(#1,800) per month. I dont have generator at home and have not used it since I've been living here.

Ghanaians are feeling the increase too, but it's minimal. Let's not compare what is happening in Nigeria now to Ghana, as percentage of increase in Nigeria is way higher than that of Ghana. Let's leave Ghana subsidy issue out of Nigeria's own please.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Nobody: 9:05am On Jan 10, 2012
most comments above make no sense at all; " they have electricity and good road" chei! aloshe o angry. Is that why Nigerians are protesting? We never protested because we didn't have good roads and electricity. We never protested because of corruption  or the exorbitant lifestyles lead by most animals who 'lead" usangry. We never protested for those things that we knew for sure would have thrown the government off-balance and would have left them with no option than to appease us if we persisted. What did we do? we turned a blind eye to these ills and like wounded lions began to protest against an issue for which deep down ourselves we know makes some economical and logical sense and can be argued upon such grounds. see eh if anything go change for this country, na with us e go begin . if u wan do good, do, if u wan protest, protest against the country's main problems so that at least we go know say we dey set our priorities straight!
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by studyineu: 9:09am On Jan 10, 2012
@sir kay, Thank you, tell them let them hear it
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by xuchy: 9:23am On Jan 10, 2012
Anyone who doesn't feel d pain of d average Nigerian shudnt call himself a Nigerian. Nigerians are suffering. No food, water ,light, good road , healthcare , even security , And our president and politician are d most affluent and wealthiest in d world and you blame d people for protesting? Men, dats plain wrong and shudnt even b uttered, the people are suffering and what we get is almost a 200percent increase and u dare compare us to Ghana, people are being killed by d hour by boko haram n u feel d solution is fuel subsidy removal, damn,I'm outta here.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by 9jaIhail(m): 9:40am On Jan 10, 2012
you said Nigeria politicians are corrupt but if any of you had the chance to be there you also join them,now yall have to shut ur mouth because Nigeria masses are even corrupt than it politicians.if you doubt me check all your statement and argument on nairaland then you will understand what i meant.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by klerry(m): 9:40am On Jan 10, 2012
because they are not parasites and lazy people who depend on govt for everything in their life.
@ umechuma
Pls tell me one thing Nigerians depend on the govt for, do we hv road, water,Schools,Electricity, Transport System?
So jst tell me one thing Nigerians depend on the govt for?
Hv u been to Ghana?
Hv u gone to bed hungry?
?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by chibest5(m): 9:51am On Jan 10, 2012
Nigerians are just lazy people period, they can't think of anything good for themselves but how government will feed them and their family, even our so called graduates after school can not even show what the have got but to carry envelopes around looking for oil company to employ them shame on you all for talking against the government as if your lives depend on it go and look for something to do for your lives lazy people
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by pcicero(m): 9:51am On Jan 10, 2012
@Sir Kay:
Before some mumus in the house misinterprete your introduction as supporting their stupid reasoning. The LPG is what we call cooking gas here and it is mostly sold in 12.5kg, like you rightly observed. It costs about N3,300.whereas 14.5kg in Ghana is N2,000. We are heavily yoked in this country and the angst of the people is beyond subsidy removal. It is about every aspect of governance. And for those who think why is it all about Jonathan? Yes, it is about him. He had an overwhelming mandate because the people had so much trust in him (he was from a poor background and the first PhD holder to become president). What more goodwill will a leader enjoy that we did not give Jonathan?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Eben2: 9:54am On Jan 10, 2012
Reasons:

1. They have 24 hours uninterrupted power supply while Nigerians dont have 2 hours

2. They have good roads and good road network, Nigerians dont

3. They earn N64,000 as minimum wage why we earn N18,000 or less in some states

4. They have water supply while such is gone with history in Nigeria

5. Their govt officials earn far less than what our rogues, so-called leaders earn

6. They dont have untouchable cabals.

7. Before they increase their fuel price by 15%, they spent one good year sensitizing their people about the need for the increment and they also gave them the blue print of what they were going to do and how they were going to achieve it. In fact, they started executing the projects before the increment.

8. Nigeria economy is powered by generator (and invariably fuel), theirs is powered by electricity.

9. There is no untouchable boko haram in Ghana.

10. Their leaders have clues, ideas and genuine agenda on how to run the country, but our leaders are totally out of tune with the reality on ground.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Nobody: 10:03am On Jan 10, 2012
Because they are Ghanaians and not Nigerians.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Eben2: 10:06am On Jan 10, 2012
Pls note that Nigerians are not saying: "dont remove fuel subsidy" but wat we are saying is: before u remove it, do the following:

deal with greed and corruption in all levels of government becos without doing that every amount realized from the subsidy removal will go the way of all our past revenue.

give us electricity so that our economy will not be dependent on fuel for power

give us good roads and good transportation system (not 1,100 buses that is not even enough for Lagos state), so that goods and services can easily be transported from one place to another with low cost.

build refineries for us and maintain the ones we already have. we have more than enough money to do this.

bring the cabals to justice.

block all the loopholes in our financial management.

after doing these little and normal things, remove fuel subsidy!
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Crescentd(m): 10:09am On Jan 10, 2012
chibest5:

Nigerians are just lazy people period, they can't think of anything good for themselves but how government will feed them and their family, even our so called graduates after school can not even show what the have got but to carry envelopes around looking for oil company to employ them shame on you all for talking against the government as if your lives depend on it go and look for something to do for your lives lazy people

How anybody can call Nigerians lazy people is simply amazing. Nigerians have been literally raped over and over again by its leaders. They provide their own water, electricity, sanitation etc. These are basic government services in saner climes. Their children goes to schools not fit for humans, they go to hospitals that are moribund, drive on roads that are death traps. Against all odds, parents send their children and they end up being unemployed. People do small businesses, due to lack of power, they rely on generator. What does the government do? Double the cost of doing business and send them out of business. Any society that does not take care of its poor and underprivileged will never be prosperous.  Absolutely nothing works. Government does absolutely nothing. Yet Nigerians take it all these in their stride and try to make the best of the situation. And you still call them lazy and looking for handouts?Amazing!
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by anonimi: 10:17am On Jan 10, 2012
Because Ghanaians OWN their democracy not GODFATHERS, be it in PDP, ACN, CPC etc.

In 2000 Ghanaians voted against Jerry Rawlings VP- John Atta Mills despite his being perceived by foreigners as the SAVIOUR of Ghana. They voted for the opposition John Kuffour who after two terms had his own VP also voted against for Atta Mills to now be president. Note that Rawlings' wife contested the primaries against Mills and lost.

Compare that to Nigeria, Obasanjo, Yar'Adua; Tinubu, Fashola, Aregbesola; perpetual presidential candidate Ayatollah Brouhari etc
In summary, when the people take an active interest in their OWN affairs rather than looking up to someone like them as a SAVIOUR then the society will be better.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by ninekfive: 10:18am On Jan 10, 2012
This topic is a joke and all of you that so wasted your time to comment on it thinking that Ghanaian are more considerate than us u have better fight for your right. Ive been living in Ghana for over 7 years now and I will tell you clearly that they are weak and cant fight, they also regret voting in Mr Mills, and their next election is close i don't think he would make it back. Ghana main fighting power is Press once the journalist dont fight for them then nobody fights, thats why the press was taking unaware by Mr. Mills. Coming to think about it we have this resources why do are they (IMF, UN) happy when we lack what we have again it doesn't sound right to me, they is something fishy going on somewhere. Who ever opened this tread should have tried to find out what happens to Ghana Gold. Lets not forget that Mr Mills is also a PHd holder. I guess PHd Holders are not capable to rule. they just want to go by principles like all their fellow mad professors
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by kukus01(m): 10:22am On Jan 10, 2012
Nigerians abroad come back to Nigeria for holidays and vacation same still Nigerians go to Ghana for holidays and vacations , can anyone get the difference?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Toks2008(m): 10:57am On Jan 10, 2012
Eben 2:

Reasons:

1. They have 24 hours uninterrupted power supply while Nigerians dont have 2 hours

2. They have good roads and good road network, Nigerians dont

3. They earn N64,000 as minimum wage why we earn N18,000 or less in some states

4. They have water supply while such is gone with history in Nigeria

5. Their govt officials earn far less than what our rogues, so-called leaders earn

6. They dont have untouchable cabals.

7. Before they increase their fuel price by 15%, they spent one good year sensitizing their people about the need for the increment and they also gave them the blue print of what they were going to do and how they were going to achieve it. In fact, they started executing the projects before the increment.

8. Nigeria economy is powered by generator (and invariably fuel), theirs is powered by electricity.

9. There is no untouchable boko haram in Ghana.

10. Their leaders have clues, ideas and genuine agenda on how to run the country, but our leaders are totally out of tune with the reality on ground.

cry which way Nigeria?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by narttis1: 11:56am On Jan 10, 2012
@op, they are Ghanaians, we are Nigerians. Our need for fuel is different from theirs.
Hope i answered your question.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Dazzel: 12:07pm On Jan 10, 2012
I consider it baffling when people make comments on when they know little or nothing about or too lazy to get informed. One fella wrote here that Nigerians are lazy, I think he is not a Nigerian so I will not dignify his stupidity with a response. The minimum wage in Ghana is about 64,000 naira. It is convenient to observe that Ghanaians are not protesting over the hike, but you are too shallow-minded to understand why. This issue is beyond tribalism or religious sentiments. If you cannot see beyond your bigoted prisms, too bad.

Is this a fact, or you just post figures hoping believe will be gullible enough to believe you. Ghana's minimum wage is 3.73 Ghana cedes /day which amounts to above N11k. Glo and MTN currently have ghanains as their lowest paid staff because people are generally poorly paid there.
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Nobody: 12:14pm On Jan 10, 2012
Dazzel:

I consider it baffling when people make comments on when they know little or nothing about or too lazy to get informed. One fella wrote here that Nigerians are lazy, I think he is not a Nigerian so I will not dignify his stupidity with a response. The minimum wage in Ghana is about 64,000 naira. It is convenient to observe that Ghanaians are not protesting over the hike, but you are too shallow-minded to understand why. This issue is beyond tribalism or religious sentiments. If you cannot see beyond your bigoted prisms, too bad.

u're on point, i just see some silly commment and i wonder if they are Nigerian at all
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by 989900: 12:35pm On Jan 10, 2012
surely one of the dumbest comparison have seen. Some people are unbelievable, after how many years of production even when we produce 2.2million barrels /day vs Ghana's 7,000 barrels/day?

15% increase vs over 100%?

Are we still this dumb?
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by Calamama: 1:45pm On Jan 10, 2012
How about it's because  [size=14pt]Ghana people are lazy and cowardly[/size]. 

Remember that for a long time you all kept saying Nigerians were cowards because they refused to go out and burn, loot and kill fellow Nigerians in the name of protest. Well Ghana people are worst, they don't protest, they refuse to go out and kill other Ghanians in the name of protest  so i recon, going by Nairaland philosophy, Ghana people are Lazy Cowards! cool cool
Re: Why Are Ghanians Not Protesting Over A Similar Increase In Their Pump Price: by FEMARY1: 1:57pm On Jan 10, 2012
This whole fuel subsidy saga looks like a fraud. Does it mean we still have subsidy in Nigeria @NGN140 per litre because Ghana fuel increased from about NGN160 to N180 and yet they are still saying they removed subsidy?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

With Atiku, PDP Has Disqualified Itself From 2019 Presidential Race –Issa-Onilu / Olujimi, Aluko Others Move Against Fayose’s Exco, Seek Dissolution / Glints Of Hope As Hurricane Sowore Storms Adamawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.