Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,186,687 members, 7,930,373 topics. Date: Saturday, 24 August 2024 at 04:33 PM

Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? - Family (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? (46623 Views)

Is Marriage A Measure Of Success In Life? / Is Marriage An Achievement? / Is Marriage A Bed Of Roses? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by violent(m): 10:22pm On Feb 07, 2012
The third leg has more persuasive powers than the brain

Ashewo grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Freesia(f): 11:23pm On Feb 07, 2012
@ Saga
I have noted you mentioned about some black girls in the UK with terrible attitudes,you will find these anywhere both here and back home.The good news is I know some really well bred and not to mention down to earth  and stunning London Naija girls with high profie occupations as well so all is not lost,just broaden your horizons,Like someone earlier said they might not all be walking around with flashy outfits  smiley
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by TV01(m): 12:13am On Feb 08, 2012
Sagamite:

Don't deceive yourself on that. Some will, no matter how hard you try.

True. So, will you lose hope and give up because the authorities may be hostile toward marriage or because some some women will turn aggressor once in it?

Please guys don't let cynicism take a hold. If you don't have faith, have optimism. Your mission (there is for the most part, no more quick chase or easy hunt grin) is too find someone with whom you have shared aspirations towards marriage and/or are able to create your own mutually agreeable construct. I personally placed my trust in God, and we have what would be termed a"traditional" marriage. However, I am not being prescriptive.

Sagamite:

Provide info where you went to find a good one o. Maybe you can resurrect hope.

And whilst not being prescriptive, there are many strategies. As prey becomes scarce, hunting techniques evolve  cheesy. I didn't learn the easy way, or the hard way. I learnt the painful way.  They are all around you. On the train, in the supermarket and more obvious places. There is much at stake. Be bold. As for hope,that's between you and your God. (I'm pondering how I may be able to "facilitate". But I'm not there yet. Please don't wait for me 0! wink)

Sagamite:

Hell No!

I am quite capable of telling family to go to hell if needs be. I do critical things like this with my head, not my heart.

People can perfectly leave happily without being married. No family can push me to marry, only a woman worth it can.

Yes 0!
You can get away with it for a time, enjoy it for a while, even rationalise it for a period. But at some point it will hit you like a ton of bricks. An empty old age beckons and lonliness will stare you hard in the face. The family and societal pressure will turn to pity and the outlook will be bleak. Believe me, the kind of woman you think "worth it" will in all likelihood be out of reach and in some respects you'll probably be a shadow of the man you were.

Please don't make this a question of brinkmanship or forming guyman. Don't let bad experiences make you bitter. We tend to act from where we were and talk from where we are. What we need to do is work towards where we want to be. I beg you guys, humble yourselves a little, there's all to play for.

Look around you. There are lots of unmarried women from our demographic in the 40'odd age bracket. Lamenting their situations. Angry and hurting. Wondering why they rejected those "ok" men. Trying to understand why they weren't more approachable and humble back then. Regretting not heeding the familial and societal pressure. Some are being counselled by friends and family to "just have a kid", before it'ls too late. And maybe the man will stay? It hurts to see and is frustrating that there's little one can do. Rest assured, there is a male equivalent situation. Where do you want to be?

All the best.
TV
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 12:14am On Feb 08, 2012
now I just feel bad for that woman that may end up as OP's wife  grin Unless it's our lovely $20k handbag carrying Daisy Danjuma of course. and just for that wedding occasion, I will  make sure to buy the society papers (is that what it's called?).
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 12:24am On Feb 08, 2012
Freesia:

@ Saga
I have noted you mentioned about some black girls in the UK with terrible attitudes,you will find these anywhere both here and back home.

Naija girls from North America and Continental Europe are far classier on average.

Freesia:

The good news is I know some really well bred and not to mention down to earth  and stunning London Naija girls with high profie occupations as well so all is not lost,just broaden your horizons,Like someone earlier said they might not all be walking around with flashy outfits  smiley

I will broaden my horizon to North America/Continental Europe Naija girls, Southern/Eastern African girls, Barbadian girl, Trinidadian girls and Martinique girls. grin

Better odds of hitting jackpot. cool

Life is not that hard, I aint wasting my time searching for needle in a haystack when I can order it from Argos. cool

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:27am On Feb 08, 2012
Marriage in general benefits the man more than the woman.

This thread is long.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 12:46am On Feb 08, 2012
TV01:

True. So, will you lose hope and give up because the authorities may be hostile toward marriage or because some some women will turn aggressor once in it?

Nah, I will insulate myself or enjoy my life single.

TV01:

Please guys don't let cynicism take a hold. If you don't have faith, have optimism. Your mission (there is for the most part, no more quick chase or easy hunt grin) is too find someone with whom you have shared aspirations towards marriage and/or are able to create your own mutually agreeable construct. I personally placed my trust in God, and we have what would be termed a"traditional" marriage. However, I am not being prescriptive.

No, homeboy, I no dey do optimism o. I am a realist.

What I need is a girl to impress my muthafcking arse. grin

TV01:

And whilst not being prescriptive, there are many strategies. As prey becomes scarce, hunting techniques evolve  cheesy. I didn't learn the easy way, or the hard way. I learnt the painful way.  They are all around you. On the train, in the supermarket and more obvious places. There is much at stake. Be bold. As for hope,that's between you and your God. (I'm pondering how I may be able to "facilitate". But I'm not there yet. Please don't wait for me 0!  wink)

Haba!

Dem no they tell Lion King to be bold, confident, courageous or direct na.

Na me now!

No 1 soldier!

Anywhere I see dem I go just approach dem, slap dem yansh and tell them to put their number on my phone.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . psyche! grin

TV01:

Yes 0!
You can get away with it for a time, enjoy it for a while, even rationalise it for a period. But at some point it will hit you like a ton of bricks. An empty old age beckons and lonliness will stare you hard in the face. The family and societal pressure will turn to pity and the outlook will be bleak. Believe me, the kind of woman you think "worth it" will in all likelihood be out of reach and in some respects you'll probably be a shadow of the man you were.

Please don't make this a question of brinkmanship or forming guyman. Don't let bad experiences make you bitter. We tend to act from where we were and talk from where we are. What we need to do is work towards where we want to be. I beg you guys, humble yourselves a little, there's all to play for.

Look around you. There are lots of unmarried women from our demographic in the 40'odd age bracket. Lamenting their situations. Angry and hurting. Wondering why they rejected those "ok" men. Trying to understand why they weren't more approachable and humble back then. Regretting not heeding the familial and societal pressure. Some are being counselled by friends and family to "just have a kid", before it'ls too late. And maybe the man will stay? It hurts to see and is frustrating that there's little one can do. Rest assured, there is a male equivalent situation. Where do you want to be?

All the best.
TV

Oga, I am not that kind of emotional person o. And I no be same woman-crazy woman-wrapper. I am comfortable ignoring women, no matter how fine they are.

I am capable of being alone. Just give me TV for news, Google, Wikipedia and intellectual books and I can ignore the rest of the world.

And as I fine reach, women will always be on my case o. Dem no fit deny that.

Even if in future I become a shadow of myself, I am bullishly confident my bank account too would become a shadow of itself in future.  cheesy

They'll come! cool
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by dayokanu(m): 12:53am On Feb 08, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

How does it? Please tell me. I am not disputing but I just want to be informed
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 12:58am On Feb 08, 2012
No. You will just dispute it and I dont have time for arguments based on something that is well known.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 1:04am On Feb 08, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

This thread is long.

funny you are the first and only person on this thread to mention this well known fact.
men really do indeed benefit most from marriage.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 1:10am On Feb 08, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

This thread is long. 

c.fours:

funny you are the first and only person on this thread to mention this well known fact.
men really do indeed benefit most from marriage.

You must both be having a laff.

That is why women crave marriage more? undecided

That is why they attack and beef men stating lack of interest in marriage? grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by dayokanu(m): 1:11am On Feb 08, 2012
^^ Can you list the reasons you claim men benefit the most from marriages.

Knowing that women are usually the most delighted about getting married.

A lot of women have been dreaming about their wedding day since they were teenagers while for most guys they would rather just go to court and cut the BS
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:17am On Feb 08, 2012
Sagamite:

You must both be having a laff. grin

Tell me if they still "crave" it after the whole wedding hoopla.  undecided

Anyway like I said, you wouldnt understand so such an argument would be a waste.

I could easily give a massive list but seeing that you guys cant accept agreeing with a woman, it will instead lead to arguments and everyone knows I dont know how to argue "like a lady"  smiley

so abeg you and dayo should ignore my post and continue from where you were before I dropped in. smiley
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 1:35am On Feb 08, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Tell me if they still "crave" it after the whole wedding hoopla.  undecided

Anyway like I said, you wouldnt understand so such an argument would be a waste.

I could easily give a massive list but seeing that you guys cant accept agreeing with a woman, it will instead lead to arguments and everyone knows I dont know how to argue "like a lady"  smiley

so abeg you and dayo should ignore my post and continue from where you were before I dropped in.  smiley

Lets imagine they do not crave it after marriage, I don't think the fact they stop craving it after marriage in any way increases the benefit for the man. I say a matter of fact, I think it makes it even worse for the man. So I really don't get the argument.

Women want the grand marriage.

Women tend to feel more complete with kids.

Women need the company more.

Women need the long-term emotional security a tie-in brings.

Women prefer the monogamy.

In the West, women benefit more if it breaks down.

Women benefit more from marriage.

That is not to say men do not or can not benefit.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by cfours: 1:37am On Feb 08, 2012
Sagamite:

You must both be having a laff.

That is why they attack and beef men stating lack of interest in marriage? grin

The only time I crave marriage is when I crave children or having a family. there is such thing as "child bearing age" after all.
beyond that, it's really not much of a big deal.

I'm yet to meet a 45yr old man claiming to enjoy his "single years"
whereas there are many women of that age who have experienced marriage and gotten out of it (women almost always initiate the divorce).

women after divorce feel liberated
men after divorce are in a rush to remarry!

really says a lot about who is benefiting most from marriage.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 1:54am On Feb 08, 2012
c.fours:

The only time I crave marriage is when I crave children or having a family. there is such thing as "child bearing age" after all.

whereas there are many women of that age who have experienced marriage and gotten out of it (women almost always initiate the divorce).

They are not in a rush to remarry. They meet another woman (sometimes younger, sometimes divorced) in a rush to marry, for security and to be exclusive, who puts pressure on them.

The 45 year old women don't marry quickly because they are not aesthetically what they used to be. Men are visual in selecting partners and also these women come with kids. The women are more likely to struggle to find new partners and they feel more lonely, they end up focusing on their children. I can guarantee you, the liberation is usually a defensive front except it is an abusive relationship.

They are also quick to divorce IN THE WEST because they see the laws as a tool to punish their spouse. Women in countries without such laws don't initiate divorce that easily. They stay put.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 1:57am On Feb 08, 2012
c.fours:

Exactly especially the bolded. Why did Ojukwu remarry after 4 kids with his 1st wife? Look at Paul McCartney. After losing how much money with his 2nd wife, did he not get married AGAIN? and you cant even use the case of "well he needs a mother for his kids", his children ARE GROWN and out of the house. so explain that? abeg.

Everyday women talk about how much work marriage is. I know MANY who have said that if their husband were to leave or die, they would NEVER remarry. they will just have a bf. They wouldnt do it again. Lion share of the raising of the kids, Majority of the domestic work/cleaning, the one most likely to compromise the most and end up being her needs last after husband and kids.

It's even documented that married men live longer than single men. Why is this even an argument?  
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ronkebp(f): 1:58am On Feb 08, 2012
Sagamite:

Lets imagine they do not crave it after marriage, I don't think the fact they stop craving it after marriage in any way increases the benefit for the man. I say a matter of fact, I think it makes it even worse for the man. So I really don't get the argument.

Women want the grand marriage.

Women tend to feel more complete with kids.

Women need the company more.

Women need the long-term emotional security a tie-in brings.

Women prefer the monogamy.

In the West, women benefit more if it breaks down.

Women benefit more from marriage.

That is not to say men do not or can not benefit.

Duh!!!!! that is why we are 'wo-men' smiley smiley smiley, everything about them is extra! extra!!, yes you guys might be right in the fact that women might enjoy the marraige a little more than the men, it is so, nothing can be done about it. Once you realise that this world is for women, then we will all live in peace. tongue tongue cool cool
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sauron1: 1:59am On Feb 08, 2012
c.fours:

Then you are yet to meet Simon Cowell.

1 Like

Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:03am On Feb 08, 2012
Sagamite:

The 45 year old women don't marry quickly because they are not aesthetically what they used to be.

Keep telling yourself that. Not every bride is between 21-30. and I believe c.fours said 45 year old MEN dont talk about "enjoying the single life". How many thread do we even have here sef by guys "I am 35 and looking to get married"

Sagamite, you are a typical alpha male that cant stand being wrong esp to a woman so abeg lets just end this now sinc3e i know you wont let up.  smiley Biko. it's after 1am. GO TO SLEEP
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 2:09am On Feb 08, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Exactly especially the bolded. Why did Ojukwu remarry after 4 kids with his 1st wife? Look at Paul McCartney. After losing how much money with his 2nd wife, did he not get married AGAIN? and you cant even use the case of "well he needs a mother for his kids", his children ARE GROWN and out of the house. so explain that? abeg.

Why?

Younger woman looking to settle down.

McCartney might be slightly different as he comes across as emotional weak/in touch with his feminine side bollocks.

ThiefOfHearts:

Everyday women talk about how much work marriage is. I know MANY who have said that if their husband were to leave or die, they would NEVER remarry. they will just have a bf. They wouldnt do it again. Lion share of the raising of the kids, Majority of the domestic work/cleaning, the one most likely to compromise the most and end up being her needs last after husband and kids.

It's even documented that married men live longer than single men. Why is this even an argument?  

They are deceiving you.

They are the same one quick to scream that younger people should marry. They are the "aunties" naijababe was referring to, always trying to play cupid.

How can they not be happy with marriage but vigorously pushing family members to it?

Women LOVE marriage. They might not be happy with their marriage but they[i] lurve[/i] marriage.

ThiefOfHearts:

Keep telling yourself that. Not every bride is between 21-30. and I believe c.fours said 45 year old MEN dont talk about "enjoying the single life". How many thread do we even have here sef by guys "I am 35 and looking to get married"

What proportion are not 21-40 in comparison to men of same ages?

ThiefOfHearts:

Sagamite, you are a typical alpha male that cant stand being wrong esp to a woman so abeg lets just end this now sinc3e i know you wont let up.  smiley Biko. it's after 1am. GO TO SLEEP

In my tribe, women are not allowed to talk back. [Straight face]
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 2:10am On Feb 08, 2012
Screw your tribe.  smiley

Women LOVE weddings. There's a difference. Comot abeg.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 2:14am On Feb 08, 2012
ThiefOfHearts:

Screw your tribe.  smiley

Women LOVE weddings. There's a difference. Comot abeg.

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnkYndycWno[/flash]
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by armyofone(m): 3:03am On Feb 08, 2012
Blimey!! 140 pages and counting, phew  undecided.

i can imagin Saga in old age: bald, half glass, pushing cart with only pet food inside  cheesy, holding dictionary of list of food with vitamin C.

Pray hard, the right woman will come. Prayer is the key  grin grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 4:31am On Feb 08, 2012
Still don't have any convincing arguments from the ladies. Marriage is a scam! No sane man would go into it without a pre-nup and adequate off-shore asset- protection!

Then marry someone who is richer than you abi?! In a divorce, you get paid, shikena!
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 5:17am On Feb 08, 2012
Saga, I see your rejected British beef has given you mad cow diease again cry

Lmao @ army. No mind him.
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Nobody: 5:48am On Feb 08, 2012
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 6:11am On Feb 08, 2012
@sisi kill lmao! too funnay!!!
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by maclatunji: 8:47am On Feb 08, 2012
chaircover:

Actually TOH is right. Men do benefit from marriage. Key is if he has married the right woman and he is the right man for his wife.

Whether we like to admit it or not, human beings crave relationships, to be loved and to be accepted. That is why we have social skills, so that we fit in.

Women love weddings agreed.  The woman will be gushing over wedding dresses, while the husband to be sits there looking bored LOL

But weddings are diffferent from marriage. A man who has a permanent good woman by his side is going to enjoy a better quality of like than a man who has several jump offs on the go. It is a dirty life, a complicated life and deep down in you, you know that the women are only giving you the time of day because of your money.

Commitment goes a long way and I am prepared to invest my last penny in my husband because we are one, whilst no concubine will spend a penny on a man if possible. Many men say that they experience great promotion after they get married and that the wifes feet are good (a yoruba saying) there is nothing spiritual about it, its just because the two are working together hand in hand to reach a common goal and as they say two heads are better than one.

Botomline is to look for and marry the right woman and Make hay while the sun shines.

Applause!

You guys should stop patronising Sagamite, even Moremi2008 who started this thread has admitted that he wants to get married with a big Owambe Wedding, so why are we arguing with Sagamite? It is obvious that his wooing skills are poor hence the big "I don't need women show". You see a nice girl with qualities you want: be humble and go for her, massage her ego, beg, plead for her to say yes. It is the way any woman who knows her true value will be- so you need to deal with it instead of sissy-footing (don't let me use foul language, it is not in my nature).
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 10:41am On Feb 08, 2012
I think thats what suprises me about some of the females here. Trying to convince faga that good females exist? Erm why?? If good females exist and he wasnt aware of them whose fault is that?
Now trying to prove to him that they do just defies all points of this argument. Which is not whether females exist, but whether marriage is indeed worthwhile.
Soo tru when they say a woman is a womans biggest enemy *rolls eyes*

@chaircovers post- #thatisall. smiley

And to men that will see faga's post and try to follow suit, i sorry for you oooo! Lol

Behind closed doors faga is in a long term commited relationship to his high school boyfriend. A word is enough for the wise grin grin grin
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by Sagamite(m): 1:25pm On Feb 08, 2012
queensmith:

I think thats what suprises me about some of the females here. Trying to convince faga that good females exist? Erm why?? If good females exist and he wasnt aware of them whose fault is that?
Now trying to prove to him that they do just defies all points of this argument. Which is not whether females exist, but whether marriage is indeed worthwhile.
Soo tru when they say a woman is a womans biggest enemy *rolls eyes*

@chaircovers post- #thatisall.  smiley

And to men that will see faga's post and try to follow suit, i sorry for you oooo! Lol

Behind closed doors faga is in a long term commited relationship to his high school boyfriend. A word is enough for the wise  grin grin grin

Ayamma-mama, lets summarise your obese, personality and intellectual attractiveness again. grin

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkEm1IWpDO0&list=FLRUGdBFtrNhxxTkghQ0Qegg&index=115&feature=plpp_video[/flash]

Go and take a shower again.

maclatunji:

Applause!

You guys should stop patronising Sagamite, even Moremi2008 who started this thread has admitted that he wants to get married with a big Owambe Wedding, so why are we arguing with Sagamite? It is obvious that his wooing skills are poor hence the big "I don't need women show".  You see a nice girl with qualities you want: be humble and go for her, massage her ego, beg, plead for her to say yes. It is the way any woman who knows her true value will be- so you need to deal with it instead of sissy-footing (don't let me use foul language, it is not in my nature).

Bring your sister close to me and you will see what the game is when a real player plays it.

[flash=400,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjvQFtlNQ-M&list=FLRUGdBFtrNhxxTkghQ0Qegg&index=156&feature=plpp_video[/flash]

People in my league don't beg. Let the amateurs like you beg and plead. We play hard to get. And the girls pursue themselves. cool

armyofone:

Blimey!! 140 pages and counting, phew  undecided.

i can imagin Saga in old age: bald, half glass, pushing cart with only pet food inside  cheesy, holding dictionary of list of food with vitamin C.

Pray hard, the right woman will come. Prayer is the key  grin grin

Don't let your imagination run wild.

I eat dogs and cats, how the hell will I have pet food in my basket. More like suya and bbq mix to cook them.

chaircover:

Actually TOH is right. Men do benefit from marriage. Key is if he has married the right woman and he is the right man for his wife.

Whether we like to admit it or not, human beings crave relationships, to be loved and to be accepted. That is why we have social skills, so that we fit in.

Women love weddings agreed.  The woman will be gushing over wedding dresses, while the husband to be sits there looking bored LOL

But weddings are diffferent from marriage. A man who has a permanent good woman by his side is going to enjoy a better quality of like than a man who has several jump offs on the go. It is a dirty life, a complicated life and deep down in you, you know that the women are only giving you the time of day because of your money.

Commitment goes a long way and I am prepared to invest my last penny in my husband because we are one, whilst no concubine will spend a penny on a man if possible. Many men say that they experience great promotion after they get married and that the wifes feet are good (a yoruba saying) there is nothing spiritual about it, its just because the two are working together hand in hand to reach a common goal and as they say two heads are better than one.

Botomline is to look for and marry the right woman and Make hay while the sun shines.

She's right you know. Sheee's right. cheesy
Re: Is Marriage Worth It For Guys? by queensmith: 1:54pm On Feb 08, 2012
^^ ur such a charm! how is it that good women don't want to know you?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (36) (Reply)

N100,000: How would You Share This Between Your Parents? / You’ve Infected Me With Gonorrhea — Nigerian Man Confronts Wife In US (Video) / Sex After Child Birth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.