Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,192,001 members, 7,946,369 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 04:57 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (827719 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Aug 11, 2013
to the lady that mentioned accommodation costs in central london, I dont think you got realistic estimates

If its central london aka zone1/2 then the rent is 650 and more and that's likely without bills for a studio.If it is inclusive of bills then you would be sharing with 4-6 people
typically school accommodation private hostels goes from 850-1200 inclusive bills and internet

the 500pounds is typically from zone3 outwards and is UNLIKELY to be with bills and if it is inclusive then you'll be living in a shoe box and sharing bathrooms with again 3-5people.

Note british rooms are typically small with very little space.

So if you are schooling in london be prepared and get parttime(weekend job cos of school work) so as to make up for the deficit.
Note the closer you live to school the less you spend on transport, in fact walking distance to school is better.
So you'll notice that those who take hostel accomodation at an expensive price claim that money back from little or no transport costs.

Please check tfl website for transport costs and google search for accommodation in zones 1-6 to give you a good idea of what you are going to face. Similarly download the tfl tube map it will give you an idea of distance.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by auntytee: 12:02pm On Aug 12, 2013
salsera: to the lady that mentioned accommodation costs in central london, I dont think you got realistic estimates

If its central london aka zone1/2 then the rent is 650 and more and that's likely without bills for a studio.If it is inclusive of bills then you would be sharing with 4-6 people
typically school accommodation private hostels goes from 850-1200 inclusive bills and internet

the 500pounds is typically from zone3 outwards and is UNLIKELY to be with bills and if it is inclusive then you'll be living in a shoe box and sharing bathrooms with again 3-5people.

Note british rooms are typically small with very little space.

So if you are schooling in london be prepared and get parttime(weekend job cos of school work) so as to make up for the deficit.
Note the closer you live to school the less you spend on transport, in fact walking distance to school is better.
So you'll notice that those who take hostel accomodation at an expensive price claim that money back from little or no transport costs.

Please check tfl website for transport costs and google search for accommodation in zones 1-6 to give you a good idea of what you are going to face. Similarly download the tfl tube map it will give you an idea of distance.

thanks a bunch. I'll do just that
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Aristoqrat: 5:30pm On Aug 13, 2013
@ttsource:
Hi all... I will be heading to pontypridd, South Wales (University of South Wales). I am trying to find out the best way to sort housing. I was advised to book a hotel for a week on landing during which I could find housing. I wanted to know what's the usual estimate time to find housing and a good contract. Thanks.

You can contact your school on that. I know schools usually have a list of registered landlords who provide private accommodation for students outside campus.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ogri1391: 12:37pm On Aug 16, 2013
auntytee: I intend to commence my masters programme in january. Please can any give any accurate details on University of westminster?... From what I have bn reading on this thread, I understand that living in london as a student is a bit or rather more expensive than the other cities. But this seem to be one of the few schools willing to offer a place for my course in january.

*I'll like to know the average cost of renting an apartment in central london, close to the school precisely.
*is there a high population of black race? (Its my first time)
*wht will it cost on living expenses?.. (I'm not so much of a "spendaholic".

Any piece of information will be highly appreciated.

What course will you be doing? and is that at the Harrow or Central London Campus? You can rent a self contained flat, a room in a house/flat or stay with a family. If you are at the harrow campus, then u need not want to stay in central london and u do not need to stay in central london too as stated by sum1 else if u r cost concious..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 6:28pm On Aug 17, 2013
adaobi123: Typical annual cost of university/college accommodation £3,000–£3,800
Typical annual cost of private accommodation £2,600–£3,300

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/hertfordshire/accommodation
I check is like 450 per week per room. Thus that 4500 so please where do get the one of 3800
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:30pm On Aug 17, 2013
abbakacici: I check is like 450 per week per room. Thus that 4500 so please where do get the one of 3800

Its from the website. Its a range.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 7:08pm On Aug 17, 2013
Please any one in hertfordshire or going there
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ogri1391: 1:50pm On Aug 18, 2013
Used to be in Hertfordshire i.e Hatfied. What would u like to know about the area or Uni??
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 2:37pm On Aug 18, 2013
ogri1391: Used to be in Hertfordshire i.e Hatfied. What would u like to know about the area or Uni??
accomodation and food shoping. Because from the school I am seeing max for accomodation is 3800 but from resident website I am seeing like 450 per week. So I want to know which is right
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ogri1391: 3:52pm On Aug 18, 2013
mmmmmm your figures seem out of way oo. Are u looking at Hertfordshire Uni @ Hatfield or where cos their own accommodation prices are diff from yours and will depend on the type of accommodation u want i.e whether sharing, catering etc . I am sure u meant £450 per month and not week.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by auntytee: 1:57pm On Aug 20, 2013
Hello house,
Can anyone please gimee a thought on Oxford Brookes University. Living expenses in oxford. Population of black race. Any other info stated will be highy appreciated.

Thanx
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 2:52pm On Aug 20, 2013
ogri1391: mmmmmm your figures seem out of way oo. Are u looking at Hertfordshire Uni @ Hatfield or where cos their own accommodation prices are diff from yours and will depend on the type of accommodation u want i.e whether sharing, catering etc . I am sure u meant £450 per month and not week.
sorry I mean per month
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 2:53pm On Aug 20, 2013
ogri1391: mmmmmm your figures seem out of way oo. Are u looking at Hertfordshire Uni @ Hatfield or where cos their own accommodation prices are diff from yours and will depend on the type of accommodation u want i.e whether sharing, catering etc . I am sure u meant £450 per month and not week.
average plate of food @ school cafeteria
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ogri1391: 3:07pm On Aug 20, 2013
cost of a meal depends on as much as u wanna eat. In some places u just buy and pay for what u eat and drink. Can be £2 - £5. Really depends on how much u wanna spend and eat. Some Unis estimate £45 per week feeding allowance But in catered halls, ur food, heat gas lights etc is included in price...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ogri1391: 3:28pm On Aug 20, 2013
dont be put off by cost of food etc tho....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 3:56pm On Aug 20, 2013
ogri1391: dont be put off by cost of food etc tho....
thank you very much and if I want to live off campus. Can I know the average cost of gas internet water and electricity
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ogri1391: 4:19pm On Aug 20, 2013
abbakacici: thank you very much and if I want to live off campus. Can I know the average cost of gas internet water and electricity

internet off campus average about £10 per month for about 1 or 2gb data with a dongle/USB stick for your laptop/pc. You may be able to use the wifi of your flat sharers too for free if they give your the access code to their internet service. Gas, light water may be inclusive of your monthly rent. If its not and u sharing a house with others, it will not be much since u will all contribute a certain amount. So have u actually got an offer from the Uni or still thinking of going there.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lopmaidx(m): 6:43pm On Aug 20, 2013
abbakacici: Please any one in hertfordshire or going there

I am goin Bro
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 7:27pm On Aug 20, 2013
ogri1391:

internet off campus average about £10 per month for about 1 or 2gb data with a dongle/USB stick for your laptop/pc. You may be able to use the wifi of your flat sharers too for free if they give your the access code to their internet service. Gas, light water may be inclusive of your monthly rent. If its not and u sharing a house with others, it will not be much since u will all contribute a certain amount. So have u actually got an offer from the Uni or still thinking of going there.
am going by god grace this september I have paid tuition fees and send my telex today so waiting for my cas
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 7:36pm On Aug 20, 2013
lopmaidx:

I am goin Bro
which course are studying am doing msc accounting and finance
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lopmaidx(m): 8:33pm On Aug 20, 2013
abbakacici: which course are studying am doing msc accounting and finance

I would be studin Msc Sustainable Plannin and Environmental Management
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by whizkidy: 6:11am On Aug 21, 2013
Hello house, who has an admission with university of Glasgow here?I need to make some enquiries.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by philoe: 10:39am On Aug 21, 2013
abbakacici: Please any one in hertfordshire or going there

Yeah, I will be studying Mental Health Nursing in the above university in January. I have also been to the university for admission interview. It's not too bad. I find Hatfield expensive though, thanks to its proximity to London. In retrospect, I wish I had applied to a university further North of England.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by lopmaidx(m): 12:08pm On Aug 21, 2013
philoe:

Yeah, I will be studying Mental Health Nursing in the above university in January. I have also been to the university for admission interview. It's not too bad. I find Hatfield expensive though, thanks to its proximity to London. In retrospect, I wish I had applied to a university further North of England.

That makes Us 3 so far cheesy
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ogri1391: 10:42pm On Aug 21, 2013
philoe:

congrats to all on admission @ Hatfield. It aint that expensive tho. Even Unis further up north are as expensive as stuff in hatfield oo. but no worries, u all will have a good time...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by philoe: 6:39am On Aug 22, 2013
ogri1391:

congrats to all on admission @ Hatfield. It aint that expensive tho. Even Unis further up north are as expensive as stuff in hatfield oo. but no worries, u all will have a good time...

Thanks bro. I'm considering getting accommodation in Luton and drive to school/ placements. I'm married and wify is expecting next month, so I will have to find a part time job so as to meet up expenses. My course is fully funded by NHS, but the bursary may not be enough to sustain us.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 8:08pm On Aug 23, 2013
ogri1391:

internet off campus average about £10 per month for about 1 or 2gb data shocked shocked with a dongle/USB stick for your laptop/pc. You may be able to use the wifi of your flat sharers too for free if they give your the access code to their internet service. Gas, light water may be inclusive of your monthly rent. If its not and u sharing a house with others, it will not be much since u will all contribute a certain amount. So have u actually got an offer from the Uni or still thinking of going there.
1 or 2GB? Is that daily allowance or weekly? embarassed embarassed
Its surely monthly angry
WTF!
Wetin I wan take that kain data allowance do? angry angry
Anyways, school Internet connection dey too sha to help supplement
Or am I mistaken sad sad?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by honourableseyi: 1:05am On Aug 24, 2013
I have been reading about £7,200 maintenance fee for a year. Please if someone is going for an undergraduate program which is 3 years and has nobody to send money to him from Naija or anywhere . After he must have exhaust the first year maintenance fee, what happens with the remaining 2 years tuition and maintenance fee? I mean how can someone source for it? Can it be source for over there doing part time job? Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 9:47am On Aug 24, 2013
honourableseyi: I have been reading about £7,200 maintenance fee for a year. Please if someone is going for an undergraduate program which is 3 years and has nobody to send money to him from Naija or anywhere . After he must have exhaust the first year maintenance fee, what happens with the remaining 2 years tuition and maintenance fee? I mean how can someone source for it? Can it be source for over there doing part time job? Thanks

No, i think it was possible in the past before 2006 but not now

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamesibor: 9:54am On Aug 24, 2013
honourableseyi: I have been reading about £7,200 maintenance fee for a year. Please if someone is going for an undergraduate program which is 3 years and has nobody to send money to him from Naija or anywhere . After he must have exhaust the first year maintenance fee, what happens with the remaining 2 years tuition and maintenance fee? I mean how can someone source for it? Can it be source for over there doing part time job? Thanks
You can earn enough for living expenses (NOT TUITION FEE) from part time work.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 9:56am On Aug 24, 2013
Dis Guy:

No, i think it was possible in the past before 2006 but not now

That is correct.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by jamesibor: 10:06am On Aug 24, 2013
justwise:

That is correct.
Are you saying that someone working 20 hrs a week won't earn enough to cover living expenses?

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.