Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,202,279 members, 7,981,529 topics. Date: Monday, 21 October 2024 at 07:27 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (832838 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (214) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 1:35am On Jul 03, 2013
marshal44: please i will like to ask a question as regards my WAEC result, my waec result has been laminated, i want to find out if it will be accepted for my visa procesing. thanks

i don't think it's a good idea to submit a laminated document for visa processing. but you can print another one online.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ochukoccna: 11:18am On Jul 03, 2013
marshal44: Please can I still apply with my WAEC result. It has been laminated. I heard laminated documents are not allowed, how true is this?

https://www.nairaland.com/826936/uk-student-visa-tier-4/1

@ marshall44, please take school related discussions and admission related question to the thread above
You also will get better insight there
This thread is attuned more for everyday living and daily grind of life in the UK.
Hope you agree
Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by marshal44: 6:54pm On Jul 03, 2013
My mistake
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:44am On Jul 04, 2013
wolske: Hello Nairalanders. Please i need information on Warwick university. Anybody here knows anything about the school? Ratings, social life, e.t.c? I'm going there in september with my wife and son and we will be needing a two bedroom flat. Is campus accomodation better than private accomodation? From most of the posts i've seen so far on this thread, there seems to be a general belief that campus accomodation is very very expensive. For Warwick, it appears a two bedroom flat on campus is like 800 pounds pcm. But i'm thinking that for a fresher like me, it's better to start of in campus accomodation and then get a private accomodation later when you know your way around. What do you think? Also are there Nigerian shops where one can get Naija foodstuffs in warwick? This is very important o. Please i will appreciate useful comments on these issues. Thanks in advance!
Its cheaper to stay on campus for warwick,the common consensus is that its cheaper, however for warwick, its cheaper, when u add bills transportation et al. social life is okay, but depending on your workload u may not have time for a social life. The school is ivy league and when your applying for jobs, you'll see the benefits.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ukay2: 9:08am On Jul 04, 2013
justwise:

He doesn't even need to do that, with student visa nobody care how you made your money, all they want to see is that you have the whole money

@justwise and other uk based naijas, pls i got admission at convetry university for Msc international businness january 2014. What is the ratting of the school for the course and how is life in convetry....any part-time job available? Am SELF SPONSORED.... I need good helping advise pls. Thanks!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kingspaco: 9:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
tstonch: @ justwise and adaobi123, do you know any university in the uk that charges less than 9,000 gbp for tuition?...

Sunderland university is 7500gbp . Cos of a discount of 1500 Gbp for international students.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by spikesC(m): 12:34am On Jul 06, 2013
kingspaco:
Sunderland university is 7500gbp . Cos of a discount of 1500 Gbp for international students.

pls note this

The International Scholarship reduces the tuition fee you pay in your first year by £1,500.

source: http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/ug/feesandfunding/sunderlandscholarships/internationalscholarship/
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kellyemms: 9:10am On Jul 06, 2013
marshal44: My mistake
@marshall is it university of greenwish u goin for ur msc and which intake are u?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ZionSpecie(m): 9:50am On Jul 06, 2013
Hi all.
Is Middlesex uni a good school?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by marshal44: 9:50pm On Jul 06, 2013
Kellyemms yes greenwich university. Sept intake GODS grace.Msc as well. What about you?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 9:59am On Jul 11, 2013
ZionSpecie: Hi all.
Is Middlesex uni a good school?
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ZionSpecie(m): 3:56pm On Jul 11, 2013
fiscalcliff:
http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/
Mehn! That's farrr behind. No way!
Thanx for d info
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fulanigirl(f): 5:44pm On Jul 14, 2013
HZwriters: please advise me, apart from tuition and accommodation fees, how much should I budget on foods, transports and other logistics. thank you in anticipation of your assistance.

Hey I actually live in dundee and its one of the cheaper places to live in Scotland. If you live around the city centre which most students do, you wouldn't really need a bus ticket, but as a student you could get a bus pass allowing to take as many buses as you like for a minimum of 6 weeks for £56. You will find more information on this from the national express website.
http://nxbus.co.uk/dundee/

As a student I really don't think you'll spend more than £40 per week on food, I come from a family of 6 and we do eat a lot of food but we don't spend more than £100 per week. Also buying our traditional food items is actually cheaper than other places. Wherever you go shopping make sure you find out if you get a student discount because a lot of places do offer that.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 5:58am On Jul 15, 2013
adaobi123:

I'll be there in september grin

Dis is the kind of thing I was waiting for...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:35am On Jul 15, 2013
peteafrik88:

Dis is the kind of thing I was waiting for...

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 2:31pm On Jul 15, 2013
pls house, what do u hv to say abt University of birmingham?? academic standard, tuition , etc awaiting ur response, pls
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 4:00pm On Jul 15, 2013
vivichocs: pls house, what do u hv to say abt University of birmingham?? academic standard, tuition , etc awaiting ur response, pls

standards and tuition = high
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 7:35pm On Jul 15, 2013
vivichocs: pls house, what do u hv to say abt University of birmingham?? academic standard, tuition , etc awaiting ur response, pls
Very high! ...got an admission der and at middlesex also,I jumped at UoB of course.I hope to be der ds september..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 16, 2013
miz Gene:
Very high! ...got an admission der and at middlesex also,I jumped at UoB of course.I hope to be der ds september..
tanx..r u going for graduate or undergraduate studies?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by raqman(m): 7:58am On Jul 17, 2013
Heyyall well documented*september,aberden,RGU*holla*so we can get it cranking. Yu kno wot dey say, two stupid heads are beta than none. Cheers
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 3:12pm On Jul 17, 2013
vivichocs: tanx..r u going for graduate or undergraduate studies?
Graduate,u?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sollie001: 5:22pm On Jul 20, 2013
Please anyone goin to Swansea?

I need help o, looking for where to stay for few days when i arrive this september before getting accommodation.

any suggestions pls?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by mizGene(f): 10:19pm On Jul 20, 2013
sollie001: Please anyone goin to Swansea?

I need help o, looking for where to stay for few days when i arrive this september before getting accommodation.

any suggestions pls?

Why not search online? U can also search for ur off campus accommodation online and get talking with d agent,possibly hv a friend der check it out or then wait till u get der n check it out urself..at least if u start ur search here,u'll spend less time in a hotel,on d other hand,some skls like mine(Birmingham) are willing to keep intl students for abt 2 days while dy sort out their accommodation. U cd mail ur skl and ask.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by sollie001: 8:12pm On Jul 21, 2013
miz Gene:

Why not search online? U can also search for ur off campus accommodation online and get talking with d agent,possibly hv a friend der check it out or then wait till u get der n check it out urself..at least if u start ur search here,u'll spend less time in a hotel,on d other hand,some skls like mine(Birmingham) are willing to keep intl students for abt 2 days while dy sort out their accommodation. U cd mail ur skl and ask.

thanks a lot
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by cipslim(m): 4:15pm On Jul 23, 2013
Lakehay21:

The social life in Sunderland is not bad but nothing compared to bigger cities like Newcastle. But be rest assured that there are clubs, cinemas and other attractive places to visit like the National Glass Centre which is very close to the St. Peter's campus. You can also visit the beach, in fact a lot of people chose the University of Sunderland for its closeness to the beach. The people of Sunderland are very nice and friendly people... it won't take too long before you blend in. They are always willing to help. The University has ties with Sunderland Football club so at intervals they give out free match tickets. I watched Sunderland vs QPR free of charge last season. I also watched the match against my fave team Man Utd. Some guys got a free tickets to see the game against Chelsea too. still on the social life, The Stadium of Light hosted a series of concerts last week featuring popular artistes like JLS, Bon Jovi, Rita Ora, Amelia Lilly, Rihanna , David Guetta and James Arthur.

The general peacefulness and security of the city of Sunderland makes it an ideal place to study. The university runs a free bus service for students and staffs to travel around the city, so you don't have to own a car or spend so much taking taxis. The uni also provides a bike hire scheme. There are wide varieties of courses to choose from at Undergrad and Post grad level with relatively affordable fees. Top-class library facilities that run 24/7

It is possible to survive on £30 a week, but you need to decide what kind of foods you eat first. Cost of living in Sunderland is one of the cheapest in the country.

I live in uni hall of residence (Clanny House) as an undergrad on a 40 weeks contract. Cost of accommodation in the uni halls depends on your choice of hall (Clanny, Precint, Panns Bank and Scotia Quay) and the size of your room plus the location. You can find out more info on this at the uni website: http://www.sunderland.ac.uk . So the choice is yours. You may also wish to consider other housing options. But the advantage of the uni accommodation is that you'll get to meet more people, and more importantly the rents are all bills inclusive- so you don't have to spend extra on internet, heating and electricity. All are covered in your rent.

The University of Sunderland was among the 5 universities shortlisted for The Times Higher University of the year 2012. Ranking wise, the university is not doing badly. Lectures are delivered in the best possible atmosphere with access to lots of Learning Support services.

Jobs are scarce though, it's a general thing in the UK. But with God and right connection of friends and contacts with recruitment agencies, finding a job won't be too difficult. The university also post vacancies on its Career and Employability Service website. The CES also provide students with interview tips and other useful information to help them get a job. My honest opinion is that you don't really cast too much gaze or spend too much time looking for work with big brand recruiters like ASDA, Tesco, Primark etc. If the opportunity comes, take it. But don't waste too much time waiting for such jobs. If you can do factory works, they are easier to get. It is difficult finding jobs in SUnderland being a relatively small but vibrant city. But its closeness to Newcastle affords you more chances of getting a job around. All my friends work in Newcastle.

The weather in North East England too can be very cold.
I hope that you find this information useful, please let me know if you have any more question.

@Lakehay21

The people of Sunderland are NICE.. Where did you get that from... I finished from University of Sunderland, St Peter's Campus (Telecomms Engineering).. The people of Sunderland ain't nice at all... I don't want to go into the stories here..
But the Uni have lots of nice lecturer and staffs willing to help anyone....
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 12:06pm On Jul 25, 2013
Please I got admission from leed metropolitan,hull and university of central lancashire and also waiting for respond form hertfordshire. So please which one should i chose in terms ranking and cheap social life. Because my budget is like 4000 pounds for accomodation and like 400 pounds for food and miscellaneous per month. I don't drink and hardly go to clubs. Social life am talking about are cinema parks museum and be may football games.so what am asking will 400 pounds be enough per month
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jul 25, 2013
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by abbakacici: 12:18pm On Jul 25, 2013
adaobi123: If Hertfordshire accept you, go to Hertfordshire.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/hertfordshire
thank you can I live on 400 pounds assuming I don't have any other source of income
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 25, 2013
abbakacici: thank you can I live on 400 pounds assuming I don't have any other source of income

Since you say you don't go clubbing. You will be able to survive on £400 a month.

There are a lot of shops in the UK that sell food at a cheap price, so you may have money left over.
smiley
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2013
abbakacici: Please I got admission from leed metropolitan,hull and university of central lancashire and also waiting for respond form hertfordshire. So please which one should i chose in terms ranking and cheap social life. Because my budget is like 4000 pounds for accomodation and like 400 pounds for food and miscellaneous per month. I don't drink and hardly go to clubs. Social life am talking about are cinema parks museum and be may football games.so what am asking will 400 pounds be enough per month
Hertfordshire is close to London, this will mean that everything is more expensive, food accomodation and entertainment.
Hull is North East England and an out of the way place.
Leeds would probably be best for ethnic food and cheaper accomodation.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jul 25, 2013
Typical annual cost of university/college accommodation £3,000–£3,800
Typical annual cost of private accommodation £2,600–£3,300

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/hertfordshire/accommodation

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (214) (Reply)

Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.