Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,438 members, 7,961,335 topics. Date: Saturday, 28 September 2024 at 10:21 PM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (27) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (829448 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Jun 23, 2013
tstonch: @justwise, i trade forex fulltime and hope to sponsor myself for study in the UK, come winter 2014. from the informations i gathered here, students are forbiden to work or sponsor themselves. so my question is this,for someone in my position what is the best way to apply for student visa?.

You can work when you come to the UK on a student visa. But i think the hours are limited.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tstonch: 5:36pm On Jun 23, 2013
justwise:

Where did you gather that from?

it is an information i picked from this thread, didnt copy their names or links to quote them but stuffs like students are not allowed to own biz or work independently were mentioned in several posts and i need to ascertain what my position as a forex trader is as i plan to even mention that in my application.

your counsel is much needed bro.

thanks for all you do here,,,, God bless..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:45pm On Jun 23, 2013
tstonch:

it is an information i picked from this thread, didnt copy their names or links to quote them but stuffs like students are not allowed to own biz or work independently were mentioned in several posts and i need to ascertain what my position as a forex trader is as i plan to even mention that in my application.

your counsel is much needed bro.

thanks for all you do here,,,, God bless..

Yes foreign students are not allowed to own business, that is not the same as working part time.

If you are caught trading forex then you have a lot of explanation to do, mentioning that in your application is silly only if your course has something to do with forex trading.

You are allowed to pick up part time job and you can sponsor yourself as well
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tstonch: 5:48pm On Jun 23, 2013
adaobi123:

You can work when you come to the UK on a student visa. But i think the hours are limited.

yea @adaobi123, what i mean is that can i apply for visa as a self sponsored student and also can i quote my forex trading as my career?. will this be acceptable by the visa officers?.

thank you..
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 23, 2013
tstonch:

yea @adaobi123, what i mean is that can i apply for visa as a self sponsored student and also can i quote my forex trading as my career?. will this be acceptable by the visa officers?.

thank you..

You can apply for a visa as a self sponsored student (I think) but you have to show how you earn your money. Tbh when you come here like justwise said apply for a part time job like most students.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 5:54pm On Jun 23, 2013
adaobi123:

You can apply for a visa as a self sponsored student (I think) but you have to show how you earn your money. Tbh when you come here like justwise said apply for a part time job like most students.

He doesn't even need to do that, with student visa nobody care how you made your money, all they want to see is that you have the whole money
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tstonch: 6:32pm On Jun 23, 2013
adaobi123:

@adaobi123, thanks loads...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tstonch: 6:33pm On Jun 23, 2013
justwise:

He doesn't even need to do that, with student visa nobody care how you made your money, all they want to see is that you have the whole money

@justwise, thanks buddy...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:38pm On Jun 23, 2013
tstonch:

@adaobi123, thanks loads...

Welcome
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by tstonch: 1:26pm On Jun 24, 2013
@ justwise and adaobi123, do you know any university in the uk that charges less than 9,000 gbp for tuition?...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jun 24, 2013
tstonch: @ justwise and adaobi123, do you know any university in the uk that charges less than 9,000 gbp?...

For international students.....I dont think so
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 4:43pm On Jun 24, 2013
adaobi123:

For international students.....I dont think so

tstonch: @ justwise and adaobi123, do you know any university in the uk that charges less than 9,000 gbp for tuition?...

For post grad study
See
http://www.sunderland.ac.uk/

It was on the shortlist for 'University of the Year' in 2012 by THE i.e. Times Higher Education Awards which is said to be the sector's most respected national awards
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 4:49pm On Jun 24, 2013
fiscalcliff:
Word up Lake hay 21
What's the dub about life in Sunderland? Locals openness, social life, school life and all?
How do you survive on £30 a week seeing it sounds incredulous?
How much do you spend on accommodation? What facilities does it offer, heating, Internet, etc?
Are you in Univ of Sunderland? How is the school rated?
Also are student part time jobs easily available? Anything for IT inclined folks?
Do share and let us learn
Thanks
Can someone with local as in UK or North East UK insight share on the above
Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 11:42pm On Jun 24, 2013
fiscalcliff:
Word up Leke21
What's the dub about life in Sunderland? Locals openness, social life, school life and all?
How do you survive on £30 a week seeing it sounds incredulous?
How much do you spend on accommodation? What facilities does it offer, heating, Internet, etc?
Are you in Univ of Sunderland? How is the school rated?
Also are student part time jobs easily available? Anything for IT inclined folks?
Do share and let us learn
Thanks

The social life in Sunderland is not bad but nothing compared to bigger cities like Newcastle. But be rest assured that there are clubs, cinemas and other attractive places to visit like the National Glass Centre which is very close to the St. Peter's campus. You can also visit the beach, in fact a lot of people chose the University of Sunderland for its closeness to the beach. The people of Sunderland are very nice and friendly people... it won't take too long before you blend in. They are always willing to help. The University has ties with Sunderland Football club so at intervals they give out free match tickets. I watched Sunderland vs QPR free of charge last season. I also watched the match against my fave team Man Utd. Some guys got a free tickets to see the game against Chelsea too. still on the social life, The Stadium of Light hosted a series of concerts last week featuring popular artistes like JLS, Bon Jovi, Rita Ora, Amelia Lilly, Rihanna , David Guetta and James Arthur.

The general peacefulness and security of the city of Sunderland makes it an ideal place to study. The university runs a free bus service for students and staffs to travel around the city, so you don't have to own a car or spend so much taking taxis. The uni also provides a bike hire scheme. There are wide varieties of courses to choose from at Undergrad and Post grad level with relatively affordable fees. Top-class library facilities that run 24/7

It is possible to survive on £30 a week, but you need to decide what kind of foods you eat first. Cost of living in Sunderland is one of the cheapest in the country.

I live in uni hall of residence (Clanny House) as an undergrad on a 40 weeks contract. Cost of accommodation in the uni halls depends on your choice of hall (Clanny, Precint, Panns Bank and Scotia Quay) and the size of your room plus the location. You can find out more info on this at the uni website: http://www.sunderland.ac.uk . So the choice is yours. You may also wish to consider other housing options. But the advantage of the uni accommodation is that you'll get to meet more people, and more importantly the rents are all bills inclusive- so you don't have to spend extra on internet, heating and electricity. All are covered in your rent.

The University of Sunderland was among the 5 universities shortlisted for The Times Higher University of the year 2012. Ranking wise, the university is not doing badly. Lectures are delivered in the best possible atmosphere with access to lots of Learning Support services.

Jobs are scarce though, it's a general thing in the UK. But with God and right connection of friends and contacts with recruitment agencies, finding a job won't be too difficult. The university also post vacancies on its Career and Employability Service website. The CES also provide students with interview tips and other useful information to help them get a job. My honest opinion is that you don't really cast too much gaze or spend too much time looking for work with big brand recruiters like ASDA, Tesco, Primark etc. If the opportunity comes, take it. But don't waste too much time waiting for such jobs. If you can do factory works, they are easier to get. It is difficult finding jobs in SUnderland being a relatively small but vibrant city. But its closeness to Newcastle affords you more chances of getting a job around. All my friends work in Newcastle.

The weather in North East England too can be very cold.
I hope that you find this information useful, please let me know if you have any more question.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 12:00am On Jun 25, 2013
^^ dammnn *claps* grin
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kollinz003(m): 5:27pm On Jun 25, 2013
I'm resuming at Swansea University in September 2013 for my postgraduate studies - please do you suggest campus residence accommodation or off campus, and WHY? Kindly advice.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 1:11am On Jun 26, 2013
adaobi123: ^^ dammnn *claps* grin

u aint clapping for me right? lol
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:47am On Jun 26, 2013
Lakehay21:

u aint clapping for me right? lol

I am o grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 6:32pm On Jun 26, 2013
Thank you Lakehay for nailing it with this post
I doubt if Edith Wilson or any of the admissions staff could have done better
I've been following this thread from late last year and this ranks as one of the best posts from a contributor to this thread
That ain't no flattery like those who once had no shoes cool
If I do decide to pick Sunderland,you really helped too as news about the Uni that I've read is usually mixed
Yes I do know the North East is cold as in the rest of UK that's why I shunned Scotland in my choice but tilted to the Northeast as its one of the most welcoming places for students
It was when I started observing UK weather that I saw places like Germany and Sweden (which I used to think were colder) are warmer than the UK
Its an island after all
Relieved though I didn't resume in January seeing its best to enter in summer and acclimatize as the winter rolls in
Since omo 9ja and peoples from areas traditionally with no winter temp dey there,I go overcome
Also Sunderland's Uni accommodation seems fair as the diff with self arranged accommodation is not to steep
I recall doing a virtual tour some time back but I want boots on the ground before making any financial commitments whether there or any other school
Your post was really helpful,keep it up seeing you posted so late into the night
Any other questions would be communicated in the days ahead
One thing though, is Nigerian foodstuffs readily available in the North East?
I doubt that's what you eat though looking at your weekly feeding bill wink as I hear they usually cost so much more
Thanks also about the footie gist
Stadium of light and Saint James park are must visits to see this dudes (especially of the top top teams) we watch through Supersport here cheesy

adaobi123:

I am o grin
I see say Ada dey appreciate your effort cool
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 2:02am On Jun 27, 2013
fiscalcliff: Thank you Lakehay for nailing it with this post
I doubt if Edith Wilson or any of the admissions staff could have done better
I've been following this thread from late last year and this ranks as one of the best posts from a contributor to this thread
That ain't no flattery like those who once had no shoes cool
If I do decide to pick Sunderland,you really helped too as news about the Uni that I've read is usually mixed
Yes I do know the North East is cold as in the rest of UK that's why I shunned Scotland in my choice but tilted to the Northeast as its one of the most welcoming places for students
It was when I started observing UK weather that I saw places like Germany and Sweden (which I used to think were colder) are warmer than the UK
Its an island after all
Relieved though I didn't resume in January seeing its best to enter in summer and acclimatize as the winter rolls in
Since omo 9ja and peoples from areas traditionally with no winter temp dey there,I go overcome

Also Sunderland's Uni accommodation seems fair as the diff with self arranged accommodation is not to steep
I recall doing a virtual tour some time back but I want boots on the ground before making any financial commitments whether there or any other school
Your post was really helpful,keep it up seeing you posted so late into the night
Any other questions would be communicated in the days ahead
One thing though, is Nigerian foodstuffs readily available in the North East?
I doubt that's what you eat though looking at your weekly feeding bill wink as I hear they usually cost so much more
Thanks also about the footie gist
Stadium of light and Saint James park are must visits to see this dudes (especially of the top top teams) we watch through Supersport here cheesy

I see say Ada dey appreciate your effort cool

Thanks I am glad you found my post helpful enough.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Be2012(f): 12:13pm On Jun 28, 2013
HEllo JuStwise, hii Nairalanders. Need some advice here.I have an admiSsion for postgrad in Brighton, and I am abt to apply for visa. I also hv a 2 year visa (visitin/) which I didn't not use due to financial constraints. I also was denied a school permit by canada last year december. Presently I hv All that it takes to get a UL scl visa but I want to know if the unused 2 yrs UK visa and canada denail would affect me negatively? ThAnk yu.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 12:53pm On Jun 28, 2013
Be+2012:
HEllo JuStwise, hii Nairalanders. Need some advice here.I have an admiSsion for postgrad in Brighton, and I am abt to apply for visa. I also hv a 2 year visa (visitin/) which I didn't not use due to financial constraints. I also was denied a school permit by canada last year december. Presently I hv All that it takes to get a UL scl visa but I want to know if the unused 2 yrs UK visa and canada denail would affect me negatively? ThAnk yu.

Your unused visiting visa does not affect you negatively and don't make attempt to explain why you didn't use it except if asked. And if asked, stating financial constraint as an excuse can cost you your student visa application or deny you entry into the UK.

Again being turned down before doesn't mean you can't get a student visa- it won't affect you except if they consider that the reason you were previously turned down is a serious concern. Like previous criminal conviction or unspent jail terms etc. But make sure you include the information on your visa application, try as much as possible to state clearly why you were turned down before. Failure to do this may be seen as withholding the truth which may end up making your visa application unsuccessful if discovered during the processing. If discovered years later, you maybe deported and banned for up to 10 years. So please be as honest as possible with your application.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by wolske: 9:08am On Jun 30, 2013
Hello Nairalanders. Please i need information on Warwick university. Anybody here knows anything about the school? Ratings, social life, e.t.c? I'm going there in september with my wife and son and we will be needing a two bedroom flat. Is campus accomodation better than private accomodation? From most of the posts i've seen so far on this thread, there seems to be a general belief that campus accomodation is very very expensive. For Warwick, it appears a two bedroom flat on campus is like 800 pounds pcm. But i'm thinking that for a fresher like me, it's better to start of in campus accomodation and then get a private accomodation later when you know your way around. What do you think? Also are there Nigerian shops where one can get Naija foodstuffs in warwick? This is very important o. Please i will appreciate useful comments on these issues. Thanks in advance!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 12:16pm On Jun 30, 2013
wolske
You should understand that campus accomodation is mostly taken by young single people in their first or second year.
They will be young so they could be quite noisy.
If you have baby then it will get disturbed or will disturb other students.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by marshal44: 8:38am On Jul 01, 2013
Good morning house, please how do I apply for the tier 4 visa(procedure). Please help with the link too. Thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Lakehay21: 2:30pm On Jul 01, 2013
wolske: Hello Nairalanders. Please i need information on Warwick university. Anybody here knows anything about the school? Ratings, social life, e.t.c? I'm going there in september with my wife and son and we will be needing a two bedroom flat. Is campus accomodation better than private accomodation? From most of the posts i've seen so far on this thread, there seems to be a general belief that campus accomodation is very very expensive. For Warwick, it appears a two bedroom flat on campus is like 800 pounds pcm. But i'm thinking that for a fresher like me, it's better to start of in campus accomodation and then get a private accomodation later when you know your way around. What do you think? Also are there Nigerian shops where one can get Naija foodstuffs in warwick? This is very important o. Please i will appreciate useful comments on these issues. Thanks in advance!

don't know anyone in Warwick buy £800pcm is certainly too expensive. You may consider searching for private accommodation online at warwick?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by marshal44: 11:32pm On Jul 01, 2013
please i will like to ask a question as regards my WAEC result, my waec result has been laminated, i want to find out if it will be accepted for my visa procesing. thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 4:21am On Jul 02, 2013
kollinz003: I'm resuming at Swansea University in September 2013 for my postgraduate studies - please do you suggest campus residence accommodation or off campus, and WHY? Kindly advice.

Off campus, best value for money. But if you wanna make friends easily, staying on campus is good.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by LabourParty(m): 4:28am On Jul 02, 2013
wolske: Hello Nairalanders. Please i need information on Warwick university. Anybody here knows anything about the school? Ratings, social life, e.t.c? I'm going there in september with my wife and son and we will be needing a two bedroom flat. Is campus accomodation better than private accomodation? From most of the posts i've seen so far on this thread, there seems to be a general belief that campus accomodation is very very expensive. For Warwick, it appears a two bedroom flat on campus is like 800 pounds pcm. But i'm thinking that for a fresher like me, it's better to start of in campus accomodation and then get a private accomodation later when you know your way around. What do you think? Also are there Nigerian shops where one can get Naija foodstuffs in warwick? This is very important o. Please i will appreciate useful comments on these issues. Thanks in advance!

The ranking is good, I'm not sure about the social life, but I know it's gonna be good. Off campus accommodations are usually cheaper and good value for money too.

Most campus accommodation take the full year rent before you move in, so movin out after few months into a private accommodation isn't an option.

Campus accommodation is the best for meeting new people.

IMHO I think off campus will be the best for you and your family.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by marshal44: 6:27am On Jul 02, 2013
Please can I still apply with my WAEC result. It has been laminated. I heard laminated documents are not allowed, how true is this?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 10:00am On Jul 02, 2013
marshal44: Please can I still apply with my WAEC result. It has been laminated. I heard laminated documents are not allowed, how true is this?

get an affidavits or what do you call those document from court, or get a reprint from waec if they offer that service, you can submit it together
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by marshal44: 3:45pm On Jul 02, 2013
thanks justwise and disguy. not sure if they can give me a reprint. think i will go for the affidavits. thanks for the good work. another question please. type of application... Tier 4(general)student / Tier 4 (general)(sponsored)student. which should i click.thanks in advance

(1) (2) (3) ... (24) (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening / Canadian Federal Skilled Worker Program-timelines Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.