Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,184,980 members, 7,925,046 topics. Date: Monday, 19 August 2024 at 09:27 AM

Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? - Travel (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (825498 Views)

Nigerian Students In Germany..how Do You Survive?? / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerians In The Uk, How Do You Cope With the Scottish Accent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (213) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by awistle(m): 6:49pm On May 08, 2013
Both big cities, wide ethnic mix in both, plenty of social life in both.
Accomodation costs will be similar in both.
Try to find out what contacts the Uni has with industry.
Many unis have tie in with companies which can be a way into job.

Thanks man.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dcal001: 11:00pm On May 08, 2013
hi guys, pls I got admission into Newcastle university m.sc structural engineering and I will be coming over this Sept. anyone who can enlighten me on what to expect as per the school, the city and any other thing should please do so. thanks
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:01pm On May 08, 2013
^^^^^ be ready for cold weather grin grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dcal001: 7:42am On May 09, 2013
noooooo..... cry , anything else?

their favourite past times involves alot of pub crawling wink

it's a nice location if you're adventourous, many cities/towns connects easily from Newcastle
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 5:58pm On May 09, 2013
A newcastle uni is good uni.

Newcastle peeps love drinking, girl loves wear mini skirt during the winter, whats not to like ? grin

Newcastle is a bit far though - from where I am....

But each to their own.

What do you plan to study ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by DisGuy: 7:44pm On May 09, 2013
hmm what happened to my post lol

their favourite past times involves alot of pub crawling wink

it's a nice location if you're adventourous, many cities/towns connects easily from Newcastle

dcal001: noooooo..... cry , anything else?

Ask specific questions, if i ask you what niger state university is like...?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by dcal001: 8:18pm On May 09, 2013
Dis Guy: hmm what happened to my post lol

Ask specific questions, if i ask you what niger state university is like...?

ok...accommodation options?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 09, 2013
dcal001:

ok...accommodation options?

apparently the further north you go, the cheaper things are.

http://www.accommodationforstudents.com/

you can look at this
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by awistle(m): 1:10am On May 10, 2013
Hello everyone
I have decided to go for Uni of Salford Manchester, i dont know if there is any one here in dis thread in that skul, that can advice me on wat kind of accomodation to go for and what to expect there generally.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 10:16am On May 10, 2013
adaobi123: ^^^^^ be ready for cold weather grin grin

Yes, its something else up there...

@Adaobi; where have you been all this while.?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 10, 2013
peteafrik88:

Yes, its something else up there...

@Adaobi; where have you been all this while.?

Ive been around, you ?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 9:57pm On May 10, 2013
adaobi123:

Ive been around, you ?

Well, doing just fine...
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 9:57pm On May 10, 2013
peteafrik88:

Well, doing just fine...

thats good, check your pm

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by peteafrik88(m): 9:58pm On May 10, 2013
adaobi123:

thats good, check your pm

Alright... Checked and replied
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 10:13am On May 11, 2013
@Obi123 thank you very much. @ all in the house, pls really need ur candid advice. Having gotten an unconditioner MSc offer to study at the university of manchester which will cost a total of 7million naira, i am able to gather 1million naira in all. Now some ppl advised me to go for it that when i get to the school i might get a school loan or walk my way to any lecturer in the department for sponshoship while some ppl advised to forget about the admission and use the money something else. Pls as fellow nigerians studying in the UK how do you see this and how feasible is the ikewood of getting being assisted by any lecturer or the department. Thank you
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by justwise(m): 10:33am On May 11, 2013
Sean lenux: @Obi123 thank you very much. @ all in the house, pls really need ur candid advice. Having gotten an unconditioner MSc offer to study at the university of manchester which will cost a total of 7million naira, i am able to gather 1million naira in all. Now some ppl advised me to go for it that when i get to the school i might get a school loan or walk my way to any lecturer in the department for sponshoship while some ppl advised to forget about the admission and use the money something else. Pls as fellow nigerians studying in the UK how do you see this and how feasible is the ikewood of getting being assisted by any lecturer or the department. Thank you

The chances of you getting loan as a foreign student to finance your study in the UK is below zero.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by worry359(m): 11:37am On May 11, 2013
Sean lenux: @Obi123 thank you very much. @ all in the house, pls really need ur candid advice. Having gotten an unconditioner MSc offer to study at the university of manchester which will cost a total of 7million naira, i am able to gather 1million naira in all. Now some ppl advised me to go for it that when i get to the school i might get a school loan or walk my way to any lecturer in the department for sponshoship while some ppl advised to forget about the admission and use the money something else. Pls as fellow nigerians studying in the UK how do you see this and how feasible is the ikewood of getting being assisted by any lecturer or the department. Thank you
Do not come with your small funds!
You will not get sponsorship "by magic" that will only be offered if you present exceptional grade points(and they will check)
You will not be able to work enough to raise funds.
Also U.K.B.A. may ask you to prove funds before entry.

You must stay at home and try something else.
Why did you apply to uni if you knew that you did not have enough funds in the first place?
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by fiscalcliff: 1:06am On May 12, 2013
@ sean lenux
Take time to digest worry 359's reply. It contains all you need
Coming to the UK with your kind of scenario before the financial crisis was tough enough
Its about outright impossible now undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 1:37pm On May 12, 2013
@all thanks for those advice. I will act accordingly
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by ifegy: 10:25am On May 17, 2013
Sean lenux: @all thanks for those advice. I will act accordingly

Sean, I know the UK seems to have some kind of magnetic pull for Nigerians, but the posters are right: do not go if you don't have the money. And bear in mind, there are cheaper study options, if you would really like to get a foreign education-- Europe, Canada. Also, here's info on scholarships, grants and fellowships for foreign students that might be helpful:
http://www.scholars4dev.com/category/field-of-study/
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by niyimeg: 2:00pm On May 21, 2013
look to be honest. jobs are really hard to get in the UK peeps! believe me! its not worth d money nd stress at all afterall notin like post study visa anymore.....be wise peeps co am presently in the UK for mah MASTERS PROGRAM

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by awistle(m): 2:06pm On May 24, 2013
Hello guys
Any one here in Uni of Salford Manchester, wanted to ask which kind of accomodation is beta either Uni accomodation or private own, cos ve been reading funny stories abt d neighbourhood near the skul.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:19pm On May 25, 2013
I am studying at the university of Manchester and I can categorically tell you that there is no form of funding or scholarship available for msc programmes. I would advice that you look for a job so you can gather enough money before coming here.
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:24pm On May 25, 2013
awistle: Hello guys
Any one here in Uni of Salford Manchester, wanted to ask which kind of accomodation is beta either Uni accomodation or private own, cos ve been reading funny stories abt d neighbourhood near the skul.
Well, most people in Manchester think Salford is not safe. I don't know how true it is because I have only been there once. I will suggest that you go for the university accommodation that way you would be safe and be able to meet with a lot of Nigerians
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by Nobody: 11:34pm On May 25, 2013
Sean lenux: Pls guys I will be coming to The University of Manchester in Sept for my MSc in Petroleum Geoscience. How do you see the school, living and studying in manchester, getting a part-time job on campus, which hostel is the best to stay for Nigerians? Pls advice accordingly. Anybody in Manchester already for discussion. Thanks in anticipation
Congratulations on your admission. I am also studying at the University if Manchester. it is an excellent school, I must say. Things are cheap and we have loads of stores that sell African food ingredients. I am staying in a private hostel accommodation, wilmslow park, its a good place but quite pricey. I can't say much about private houses but the only advice I can offer is that make sure you are on ground to view your accommodation before you pay any agent or landlord. About the part time job, there are jobs but I doubt your workload will give you enough time to consider taking one. if you need more clarification pls let me know.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by monchouchou: 7:11am On May 26, 2013
Hi honey86, pls can you provide me with more information about university of manchester? Just got an llm offer and I'm considering accepting it. What's the school fees payment plan like? Must I pay everything at once? Also is it better to get accomodation outside campus or not? Thanks,p
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by awistle(m): 8:30pm On May 26, 2013
honey86:
Well, most people in Manchester think Salford is not safe. I don't know how true it is because I have only been there once. I will suggest that you go for the university accommodation that way you would be safe and be able to meet with a lot of Nigerians
Thanks might just go with ur advice for the safety aspect!
Re: Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? by kellyemms: 11:48am On May 27, 2013
Anyone in university of derby. Plz ow is the place!

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) ... (213) (Reply)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.